JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jones!

200w.gif

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With a rare five-day break between games, Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma was Mountain View, California to see Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) High School, the consensus No. 1 high school team, and their top-ranked 2019 guard/forward Haley Jones as they took on Saint Francis (Mountain View) High School.

After the Huskies beat Louisville in a nationally-televised game Monday, Auriemma said his whole staff was out recruiting Tuesday, which he said “almost never happens.” He was in Minnesota on Tuesday before flying to the San Francisco Bay Area on Wednesday.

It was there that he got to see Jones, a 6’1 wing who’s currently ranked fifth for 2019 recruits by ESPN, drop a triple-double on Wednesday night, tallying 25 points, 13 rebounds, 10 assists and five steals. While NCAA rules do not allow Auriemma to comment on her, the opposing coach on the evening, Saint Francis’ Sami Field-Polisso, raved about her.

“The thing that separates Haley more than anybody I’ve ever seen is her versatility,” Field-Polisso said. “She can shoot from the perimeter – really quick release, catches it in the air, really just a beautiful 3-pointer. She can go off the bounce and score in the midrange, she’s got so many different finishes.

“What’s amazing is, when you watch her, she scores in so many different ways. She can go in and post up, or off the dribble, or coming around a screen, catch-and-shoots, in transition, free throws, put-backs. It’s impossible to guard. Nobody in high school can successfully stop her from scoring.”

Just about every top program in the country is interested in Jones, who is averaging 21.3 points and 9.6 rebounds per game this season. Mitty head coach Sue Phillips talked at length with Auriemma after the game, and Phillips said Jones has shown exemplary character as she’s gone through the process.

How he recruits: Geno Auriemma spotted in Bay Area

Reaction Score
At the half Hopkins leads undefeated Wayzata 41-19. Bueckers has 21 pts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was in San Jose and Santa Cruz on my way to Pebble Beach. I should have stopped to watch Haley and her Mitty team.

Reaction Score
Bueckers was 11-19 from the field, 3-3 from three. She had at least 5 assists and 4 steals.

One comment I read was that she had 6 steals in the 1st half along with all 3 of her 3's.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One comment I read was that she had 6 steals in the 1st half along with all 3 of her 3's.

Maybe we'll get full stats later. Hard to determine things like steals from an audio feed.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/16

Kylee Watson went for 24 points in Mainland's opening tourney game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Bueckers is 5-11 and has the athleticism and smarts to guard every position, which she did. She was just as versatile defensively as she was offensively in scoring a game-high 28 points. The sophomore missed some time with an injured ankle, but certainly looked up to speed against the Trojans.

“She’s special,” Cosgriff said. “I’m glad she’s playing for me, because she plays extremely hard, she’s got a great basketball IQ. We’re really glad to have her back. We’ve got to keep her healthy now.”

Hopkins ruins conference foe Wayzata's perfect season with blowout win

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lots of Brunelle highlights from last night (2/16):
Ceratainly not her fault but I'm always struck by the lack of competition that Brunelle is facing in these HS games. This will be Brunelle's last AAU season and USA basketball for this summer is TBD but she's going to be playing another year of HS ball and I'm just not sure if playing in this league is going to anything for developing her game.

Reaction Score
Ceratainly not her fault but I'm always struck by the lack of competition that Brunelle is facing in these HS games. This will be Brunelle's last AAU season and USA basketball for this summer is TBD but she's going to be playing another year of HS ball and I'm just not sure if playing in this league is going to anything for developing her game.
I agree. She has a different style and size but her HS competition or lack thereof is similar to Walker's. Like Walker, there's lots of stuff she's not seeing that she'll need to learn at the college level before she would play much at UConn. The HS defenses are way too cooperative, she can get wherever she wants with no denial and doesn't have to work for position inside. For her size she's a very good ballhandler but her high, upright dribble will need adjustment. Not that she can't pick up all this stuff, she has tremendous potential, but I think her learning curve will be similar to Walker's. Certainly hope UConn can get her, she seems to have a real good competitive drive and seems to fit their kind of player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom