2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
I'd like to see her change her name t0 Samuelson,and then we would have the scoring Samuelson,the assisting Samuelson,the blocking Samuelson,AND the rebounding Samuelson.Then leave it to Geno to say she can't guard a chair,a wooden indian,or any other inanimate object.lol

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's a sophomore correct? Everything will/should improve each season.
Stay healthy Sam.
Yes, Sam is class of 2019. Geno gave her an offer, I believe. Some think she's a slightly shorter version of EDD.

Sam's local high school competition is not great, so her numbers should be very solid. She can compete at the highest level for her age.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Very true - the knee is just not a perfect design and carrying almost all of the bodies weight 'in space' it is put under considerably greater force and strain that any other joint than the ankle. All that said, the number of athletes that suffer tears is still relatively small compared to those that don't - no one reads headlines saying 'team of 15 gets through season without suffering any ACL tears'. The number of female athletes participating in serious sports activity has exploded, so there are many more injuries as part of that explosion.

We await the headline that "USPS Letter Carrier Bites Dog," too. Remember the rule for headlines:

"If it bleeds. it leads." ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd like to see her change her name t0 Samuelson,and then we would have the scoring Samuelson,the assisting Samuelson,the blocking Samuelson,AND the rebounding Samuelson.Then leave it to Geno to say she can't guard a chair,a wooden indian,or any other inanimate object.lol
Sure! Sam Samuelson. It fits perfectly. :D

Reaction Score

I was sold on C.Will after watching her in international play. She is an absoulte force on the court. If she chooses to come to Storrs, I can already hear the chorus singing "Turn out the lights, the party's over".

Reaction Score
I was sold on C.Will after watching her in international play. She is an absoulte force on the court. If she chooses to come to Storrs, I can already hear the chorus singing "Turn out the lights, the party's over".

I'm very apprehensive on the chances of her coming to UConn. The class before has 2 Guards and 2 Wings players, who could play guard depending on the line-up/situation. If the class before shows well as frosh, chances decrease even more. Top 10 recruits typically go to situations where they can play as frosh or see a clear path to starting sophomore year. It's like when Moriah locked down PG by end of frosh year , there was no way any top PG was coming to UConn to play garbage time minutes. Therefore UConn had no 2nd PG on the roster and then Moriah graduates and Geno gets another top PG, who will keep other PG's from UConn. That's why Honesty(#11total rank in class of '18), while she has UConn on her list, will not be coming to UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Schoup, people often say that about recruiting but it often doesn't play out that way - Baylor got Brown and everyone thought Montpremier would go elsewhere but she chose Baylor as well, and then Cox did the next year. ND has been loading up on guard/wings for a few years as another example. And 2018s likely will sign in the early signing period which means they will not have a read on how the 2017s are fitting in on their teams.
Who knows where Williams will go, but I have stopped trying to read based on who is on the team already.
I also think a lot of Uconn recruits are more interested in being coached by Geno rather than about the minutes they play as freshmen. I agree that there are a lot of recruits where freshman minutes are an important issue, in their decision process, just not ones that Uconn is all that interested in.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm very apprehensive on the chances of her coming to UConn. The class before has 2 Guards and 2 Wings players, who could play guard depending on the line-up/situation. If the class before shows well as frosh, chances decrease even more. Top 10 recruits typically go to situations where they can play as frosh or see a clear path to starting sophomore year.

Williams wouldn't be blocked by any super high rated guard. Now, maybe Coombs turns into something special but, otherwise, Williams would have a very good chance to be a starter by her sophomore year. The roster was packed before Walker committed but it didn't stop her from coming. Doubt Williams would be too bothered either.

Reaction Score
Just saw my daughter's HS team's schedule....they will be scrimmaging against Michelle Sidor and Saddle River Day in a few weeks..I'll file a full report.....word is SRD has a 6'5-6'7" center coming in.....should be interesting

just a quick report on Sidor.........she's stronger and her handle is even better............looked like she could score pretty much anytime she wanted but tried to set up her team mates instead..........we were winning by five points with 90 seconds to play and she decided that it was time to score.......layup off of a steal then two straight long three pointers.....we loose............is she at a UConn level? Not qualified to answer that but with all of the guards there already I doubt there will be interest from the Huskies..........I would say she is just about at the Mabrey sister's level at this time in her career so I expect her to end up at a pretty good DI team

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm very apprehensive on the chances of her coming to UConn. The class before has 2 Guards and 2 Wings players, who could play guard depending on the line-up/situation. If the class before shows well as frosh, chances decrease even more. Top 10 recruits typically go to situations where they can play as frosh or see a clear path to starting sophomore year. It's like when Moriah locked down PG by end of frosh year , there was no way any top PG was coming to UConn to play garbage time minutes. Therefore UConn had no 2nd PG on the roster and then Moriah graduates and Geno gets another top PG, who will keep other PG's from UConn. That's why Honesty(#11total rank in class of '18), while she has UConn on her list, will not be coming to UConn.
Moriah did not have PG locked down by end of frosh year. Going into her sophmore year Moriah was still in a battle to get meaning minutes in the rotation against AA Bria Hartley, Brianna Banks coming off injury and Freshmen Saniya Chong. Moriah ultimately prevailed but the very next year UCONN brought in a class of 4 guards including a McDonalds AA PG in Sadie Edwards. I'm pretty sure Sadie did not come to UCONN thinking I'l get "garbage time" behind Moriah. One of the four, Kia, started alongside Moriah for two years.
As @Sluconn Husky has stated in Williams Sophomore year these could be UCONN starter:
PG: Dangerfield
SG: C.Williams
SF M.Walker
PF BabyBrun
C: C.Collier

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Moriah did not have PG locked down by end of frosh year. Going into her sophmore year Moriah was still in a battle to get meaning minutes in the rotation against AA Bria Hartley, Brianna Banks coming off injury and Freshmen Saniya Chong. Moriah ultimately prevailed but the very next year UCONN brought in a class of 4 guards including a McDonalds AA PG in Sadie Edwards. I'm pretty sure Sadie did not come to UCONN thinking I'l get "garbage time" behind Moriah. One of the four, Kia, started alongside Moriah for two years.
As @Sluconn Husky has stated in Williams Sophomore year these could be UCONN starter:
SF M.Walker
PF BabyBrun
What a nasty lineup. Break up the future!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SF M.Walker
PF BabyBrun

Sam Brunelle starts at PF as a freshmen? That's an ambitious lineup....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
just a quick report on Sidor....she's stronger and her handle is even better..looked like she could score pretty much anytime she wanted but tried to set up her team mates instead.....we were winning by five points with 90 seconds to play and she decided that it was time to score..layup off of a steal then two straight long three pointers.....we loose..is she at a UConn level? Not qualified to answer that but with all of the guards there already I doubt there will be interest from the Huskies.....I would say she is just about at the Mabrey sister's level at this time in her career so I expect her to end up at a pretty good DI team

Thanks for the report. ND's two 2018 signees are both guards -- Katlyn Gilbert and Abbie Prohaska -- which might not bode well for a third Mabrey, but you never know: MM has said she might recruit 4, even 5 kids this class. However, a PG and another front liner are needed to join Patterson and Vaughn.

As for Sidor, I'll have to go see her this season...maybe at a winter tourney between Xmas and New Years, if they're playing in one. (Just hope she does not hear the siren song of Louisville.... ;))

Reaction Score
Schoup, people often say that about recruiting but it often doesn't play out that way - Baylor got Brown and everyone thought Montpremier would go elsewhere but she chose Baylor as well, and then Cox did the next year. ND has been loading up on guard/wings for a few years as another example. And 2018s likely will sign in the early signing period which means they will not have a read on how the 2017s are fitting in on their teams.
Who knows where Williams will go, but I have stopped trying to read based on who is on the team already.
I also think a lot of Uconn recruits are more interested in being coached by Geno rather than about the minutes they play as freshmen. I agree that there are a lot of recruits where freshman minutes are an important issue, in their decision process, just not ones that Uconn is all that interested in.
If you get SNY and watch some of Geno's shows (VERY interesting if you have been a UConn fan for several years. Would pay extra if not on my channel lineup), he interviews many past players. ALL state they come to UConn to be the best player they can be and play in a great system with great teammates. With injuries and transfers, as well as the frantic pace UConn plays, there may be more court time than some think.

Reaction Score
Thanks Charlie. I have a feeling she's the #1 target to be Dangerfield's successor, which sounds strange to say.

Peoples had 18 points in the game, btw.
I agree. He's always looking for those PGs with 4 eyes that see the whole floor.

Reaction Score
Check out the video to see who just stopped by to watch Ms. Peoples

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 9h9 hours ago
WBB: Assistant coaches from UConn and Auburn on hand at Schlarman Acad. game tonight to see Anaya Peoples (IL-2019)

HS recap (12/8)
OT: always amazes me the energy that recruiting requires during the actual season. these folks log in so many miles just to demonstrate their interest in young players in between their own teams' practices. what an exhausting enterprise!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's an article on Mo'ne Davis:

From baseball to basketball

She's quitting high school basketball to focus on AAU. That seems like a strange decision. It's a totally different season, and even if her high school wasn't very good, she could always transfer somewhere. I don't think that strategy worked out too well for Courtney E, though it could have been that she never got over her initial injury and just couldn't work her self into the lineup. But still...wonder who is advising her to do this?
It would have been a big mistake for Mo'ne to leave Springside Chestnut Hill Academy. The academics there are good enough to get her much further along than her basketball ability. Philly Triple Threat has produced some very good college and WNBA players including: Brittany Hrynko (Depaul), Kahleah Copper (Rutgers), Betnijah Laney (Rutgers), Briyona Canty ( Rutgers).
Good luck to you Mo'ne.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom