2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Just saw my daughter's HS team's schedule.........they will be scrimmaging against Michelle Sidor and Saddle River Day in a few weeks............I'll file a full report..........word is SRD has a 6'5-6'7" center coming in.....should be interesting

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
For my fellow Jerseyites:

Preseason top 10 Best players in NJ as per the eye test: @NYGHoops @luck1ent

CvJtYG6WYAAcyhE.jpg

Hey, thanks for passing along. Five of these are folks I'm not surprised to see...Masonius/Mabrey of Manasquan (say that five times fast!); Farley-Clark and Alexander of QOP; and, Sidor, of Saddle River Day. I think you (Charlie) sent something around on Kylee Watson, no?

I'm not surprised to hear that Saddle River Day has brought in someone to augment their roster and take some pressure off the Michelle Sidor extravaganza. Look forward to your report on that scrimmage.

One person I'm a bit surprised is not on this list is Lucy Thomas, the six-foot forward of St. Rose. She was injured a bit last year, but came on really strong at the end of the year. She'll be a junior...I think she may have committed to Monmouth already.

Should be a fun season in the Garden State.
If I'm visiting some of my former LI buddies in Suffolk Country, I may try to see a Danielle Cosgrove game at Sachem High. Also hearing good things about
Emily Engstler, another small forward from St. Francis Prep. Her game sounds a bit like Faith M's.

Reaction Score
Here's a new name for you and what a great name it is

The Waves player that actually got as much attention as Henson and Styles, however, was 2020 point guardTe-Hina Paopao, a La Jolla Country Day middle-school student who comes from a family with a rich athletic tradition in the Oceanside area of San Diego County.

“To have a 12-year-old (Paopao turns 13 in August) as the point guard and one of the leading scorers on an elite 17U team says it all,” said Bamford, who coached 2004 Ms. Basketball and former Stanford and WNBA star Candice Wiggins, for who the Waves are named, and 2013 Ms. Basketball and current Washington star Kelsey Plum.

“Te-Hina has to be one of the top 2020 guards in the country,” Bamford continued. “She ranks right up there with Candice and Kelsey. She has their kind of work ethic, athleticism and mental toughness already. She understands screens and mismatches and can get to the rim. She just gets it and is going to be really special.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A report on target Anaya Peoples after a prospect camp via Brandon Clay:

As a quarterback on the hardwood, Peoples can make all of the throws. She has the talent to be a high level scorer, elite passer and primary on-ball defender. There were times where no one on the opposing team could keep Peoples from getting into the lane. She added Georgia and South Carolina offers on unofficial visits after shining with at EBA for two days. Like her club teammate, Gilbert, reading where and when to impose her will offensively on games will be the next step.

Reaction Score
Blustar's USJN Fall Finale – East Player Assessments
Kylee Watson – 2020 – 6-3 – F – Philadelphia Belles 14 – New addition to the Belles…Well established already as major D-I prospect…Super athletic…Speedy with great feet… Can start the break on her own…Loves to attack the basket offensively… Athleticism leads to shot blocks galore on D…Athletic, plays hard and runs the floor well
Aliyah Boston – 2019 – 6-2 – C – iExcel 15 – Big strong post…Active, physical defender…Protects the paint… Handled it in the open court at times…Knows how to use her frame to post
Michelle Sidor – 2019 – 5-7 – G – iExcel 15 – Strong shooter…Deep three range…Will shoot it off the bounce/step back…Plays a smart game…Shows some grit/toughness already…Should continue to elevate her game over time
Jordan Nixon – 2018 – 5-8 – PG – iExcel 15 – Scoring PG…Showed off a well-developed mid-range prowess…Has the ability to hit the deep three…Fast with the ball…Plays with a lot of confidence

Reaction Score
I mentioned this young lady a few months ago, just came across this story/video.......yes I have seen her in person, yes she kicked my daughters but all over the gym and yes she hasn't played a day of high school basketball yet......this is a one of a kind individual, great personality, super agility for a legit 6'3"player at her age and she's also cute as a button............I know there is UConn interest...........would be very ticked off if she doesn't end up a Husky!!

Meet the Linwood 14-year-old receiving Division I basketball offers before playing a game

Reaction Score
Here's a write up from famed NJ Shore trainer Tiny Green, of another young post player ranked as the #5 player in NJ and she is just a sophomore:

I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING LIKE …MARIAH PEREZ
I think NBS has no equal when it comes to talented players gathering to train. Last week a mega talented young lady showed up at NBS. She drove 90 minutes, with 8th grade stud NIAISYA ERVIN( more on her later) to attend the session. MARIAH PEREZ proved that she is the best young post player I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS.

Well last week at NBS, I saw the future again, I saw the best young post player since Kimi Evans; MARIAH PEREZ is the next great post player in the state of New Jersey. She also will be playing at a power 5 school in 3 years. I would advise Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Fordham and any Top 10 ranked team…to recruit her now, YOU CAN OFFER HER, SIGHT UNSEEN, she just may hold the future to your program….she is going to be that good.

NBS has players from Pennsylvania , Conn, New York who make the trip to NBS every weekend. NBS is a place that is loaded with the best talent in the state. But interestingly, rarely do kids from North Jersey make the trip. The last one to do so was Martina Ellerbe who went on to star at Ohio State. Jr Lindsey Mack who has D1 offers is currently the only North Jersey player who attends NBS. MARIAH PEREZ of Newark Tech, is something I have never seen. First start with her 6’3″ height and then thrown in somebody that is long as in so long. Next throw in a work ethic that is rare, we are talking about a 6’3″ player who dives for loose balls. But what really makes this young lady special is that she is not only a top student, but her ability to get along with her peers is amazing. This is a young lady that showed up at NBS and was dancing and laughing with kids she met for the first time. This is a young lady that was positive and gave high fives to good passes or a nice play. This was a young lady who picked up competitors off the floor…This is a kid with not only a mega talent…but a mega personality, who is COACHABLE…

What would you say about a 6’3″ girl that runs the floor like a guard? What would you say about a 6’3″ player who can put the ball on the floor with either hand and get to the rim? What would you say about a 6’3″ girl who can bang out jumpers? What you say about a 6’3″ girl who already knows how to defend without fouling? What would you say about a 6’3″ girl who can score or pass out of double teams? What would say about a 6’3″ girl who has hands from the gods? But most importantly what would you say if you knew this young lady was just a sophomore. Because that player Mariah Perez, stats last year as a freshman were sick, just sick….This is why I repeat, she will be the best post player in New Jersey. Did I mention she will play at a power 5 school and she has a smile that lights up a gym?

We don’t list the names of the hundred of players that have attended NBS on the website. We don’t list them because I don’t believe, what somebody has done in the past has anything to do with a kid playing today. I think twitter and Facebook gives enough love to our current and past players. But I will say this, MARIAH PEREZ would be a name on that list if we were to do so. Her talent is special and I believe she is a kid who gets it. It’s clear she has not been spoiled at Newark Tech or by her AAU coaches. It’s clear somebody has made it clear to her; to value skill work and improving. She is that rare kid who can melt into any environment and excel. Her future is not just bright because of her special talent, but more from the fact, she has not been SPOILED.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here's a new name for you and what a great name it is

The Waves player that actually got as much attention as Henson and Styles, however, was 2020 point guardTe-Hina Paopao, a La Jolla Country Day middle-school student who comes from a family with a rich athletic tradition in the Oceanside area of San Diego County.

“To have a 12-year-old (Paopao turns 13 in August) as the point guard and one of the leading scorers on an elite 17U team says it all,” said Bamford, who coached 2004 Ms. Basketball and former Stanford and WNBA star Candice Wiggins, for who the Waves are named, and 2013 Ms. Basketball and current Washington star Kelsey Plum.

“Te-Hina has to be one of the top 2020 guards in the country,” Bamford continued. “She ranks right up there with Candice and Kelsey. She has their kind of work ethic, athleticism and mental toughness already. She understands screens and mismatches and can get to the rim. She just gets it and is going to be really special.”

Just saw this video for the first time. She gets her shot off quick with nice form.. She also has nice deception on her passes and seems to have good court vision. Her crossover although quick and deceptive seems a little long and high. A little work there. Seems like a scrapper. Me likey.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Here's a write up from famed NJ Shore trainer Tiny Green, of another young post player ranked as the #5 player in NJ and she is just a sophomore:

I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING LIKE …MARIAH PEREZ
I think NBS has no equal when it comes to talented players gathering to train. Last week a mega talented young lady showed up at NBS. She drove 90 minutes, with 8th grade stud NIAISYA ERVIN( more on her later) to attend the session. MARIAH PEREZ proved that she is the best young post player I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS.

Well last week at NBS, I saw the future again, I saw the best young post player since Kimi Evans; MARIAH PEREZ is the next great post player in the state of New Jersey. She also will be playing at a power 5 school in 3 years. I would advise Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. Johns, Fordham and any Top 10 ranked team…to recruit her now, YOU CAN OFFER HER, SIGHT UNSEEN, she just may hold the future to your program….she is going to be that good.

NBS has players from Pennsylvania , Conn, New York who make the trip to NBS every weekend. NBS is a place that is loaded with the best talent in the state. But interestingly, rarely do kids from North Jersey make the trip. The last one to do so was Martina Ellerbe who went on to star at Ohio State. Jr Lindsey Mack who has D1 offers is currently the only North Jersey player who attends NBS. MARIAH PEREZ of Newark Tech, is something I have never seen. First start with her 6’3″ height and then thrown in somebody that is long as in so long. Next throw in a work ethic that is rare, we are talking about a 6’3″ player who dives for loose balls. But what really makes this young lady special is that she is not only a top student, but her ability to get along with her peers is amazing. This is a young lady that showed up at NBS and was dancing and laughing with kids she met for the first time. This is a young lady that was positive and gave high fives to good passes or a nice play. This was a young lady who picked up competitors off the floor…This is a kid with not only a mega talent…but a mega personality, who is COACHABLE…

What would you say about a 6’3″ girl that runs the floor like a guard? What would you say about a 6’3″ player who can put the ball on the floor with either hand and get to the rim? What would you say about a 6’3″ girl who can bang out jumpers? What you say about a 6’3″ girl who already knows how to defend without fouling? What would you say about a 6’3″ girl who can score or pass out of double teams? What would say about a 6’3″ girl who has hands from the gods? But most importantly what would you say if you knew this young lady was just a sophomore. Because that player Mariah Perez, stats last year as a freshman were sick, just sick….This is why I repeat, she will be the best post player in New Jersey. Did I mention she will play at a power 5 school and she has a smile that lights up a gym?

We don’t list the names of the hundred of players that have attended NBS on the website. We don’t list them because I don’t believe, what somebody has done in the past has anything to do with a kid playing today. I think twitter and Facebook gives enough love to our current and past players. But I will say this, MARIAH PEREZ would be a name on that list if we were to do so. Her talent is special and I believe she is a kid who gets it. It’s clear she has not been spoiled at Newark Tech or by her AAU coaches. It’s clear somebody has made it clear to her; to value skill work and improving. She is that rare kid who can melt into any environment and excel. Her future is not just bright because of her special talent, but more from the fact, she has not been SPOILED.
Woo-ee! Video! Need video! And they called the wind...

Reaction Score
Woo-ee! Video! Need video! And they called the wind...

Here you go. I will admit that this is the first tape I have seen on her, and I realize that she is young, but Perez was virtually a non factor in this game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Here you go. I will admit that this is the first tape I have seen on her, and I realize that she is young, but Perez was virtually a non factor in this game.

Thanks. We both know it's still going to take time for a 6" 3" 14 year old's brain to come to terms with that body.

Reaction Score
Thanks. We both know it's still going to take time for a 6" 3" 14 year old's brain to come to terms with that body.

Sure didn't see much on that video......High Point is always a really well coached team.....they doubled her beautifully...........but she must be something special for Tiny Green to give her such glowing praise.....the guy sends 15-30 players to DI/DII schools every year from his NBS program.......including the Mabrey sisters

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
You all are going to get in trouble, you know UConn and their fans can't discuss Mo'ne Davis :).

Reaction Score
just checked my daughter's team's schedule.........they will be scrimmaging against Mariah Perez and Newark Tech in early December............should be fun..........we just lost our 6'2" center to an ACL so we have nobody over 5'9".........if MP can't dominate that will be a problem.................

Reaction Score
Now that's funny..........no insult to Wagner but somehow I don't see Faith as a Wagner recruit.........

Next Tweet
Raoul‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Appears Blue Star is reporting the wrong Masonius sister as having committed to Wagner; s/b Addie Masonius (2017)

CwIuBuIWYAAC6En.jpg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Now that's funny.....no insult to Wagner but somehow I don't see Faith as a Wagner recruit....

Next Tweet
Raoul‏@Raoul_000
WBB: Appears Blue Star is reporting the wrong Masonius sister as having committed to Wagner; s/b Addie Masonius (2017)

CwIuBuIWYAAC6En.jpg

Point taken on Faith. Switching sisters, that's a good place for Addie and a good get for Wagner. Congrats to both.

I wonder where PG Stella Clark will end up. She's only 5'3" but is the engine of that team. Plus, isn't she the Masonius girls' cousin?

Reaction Score
Point taken on Faith. Switching sisters, that's a good place for Addie and a good get for Wagner. Congrats to both.

I wonder where PG Stella Clark will end up. She's only 5'3" but is the engine of that team. Plus, isn't she the Masonius girls' cousin?

yes............she's one of many..........I'm sure she will play college ball just don't know the level.........Tiny does a great job getting his NBS girls college exposure........if you play there and he says you are good enough for DI he is most often right and all of the coaches from the Northeast end up at his place when recruiting time comes.........when I asked him to rate my kid he said get her down here for a year of training with some serious competition and then I will tell you what I think

Reaction Score
If you remember this young lady was at First Night just a few weeks ago

Mike Zacchio @Zacchio_LoHud
.@OHSPride girls basketball sophomore Aubrey Griffin tore her ACL this weekend and is done for the season. Major D-I recruit. Horrible blow.
0 replies0 retweets1 like

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

.@OHSPride girls basketball sophomore Aubrey Griffin tore her ACL this weekend and is done for the season. Major D-I recruit. Horrible blow.

That sucks. Finally saw a bit of footage of her---she moves more like the men than the women. Hope this injury doesn't rob her of that athleticism.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Damn! Keep your chin up, Aubrey. 4-time Gold Medalist Sue Bird had a similar injury. Look at what she accomplished.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Damn! Keep your chin up, Aubrey. 4-time Gold Medalist Sue Bird had a similar injury. Look at what she accomplished.
Wishing Aubrey a speedy recovery. Aubrey can also take comfort in something more recent than Sue Bird. In the last 3 recruiting classes UCONN has recruited a player that had ACL issues/surgeries in HS. Gabby, Molly & Mikayla. Go back just a little further and you also have Morgan & Caroline. Like the 6 million dollar man , UCONN can & has rebuilt them and made them stronger.

PS hope that $6mil man reference didn't go over the head of the youngins out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom