2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 35 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To add to Alydar's excellent list, Bueckers' skill level is Grade A. She shot 62% from the field as a freshmen hitting every kind of shot you can imagine---beautiful jumper, floater, pull-up, and all kinds of twisty layups with both hands.

I'll be shocked if she's not top-3 on all majors sites within a year or so.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Q: If the player has a favorite former UConn player (say, DT) will UConn make an effort to get her to campus?
A: No. Contact with the recruit is limited to UCONN staff only."

CocoHusky, are you sure? Was the apocryphal Diane and Sue drop by the violation, or was it the burger and fries? :D Common, someone had to do it. It's in the Boneyard Charter.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
According to the HoopGurlz list of prospects for 2020, Bueckers (No. 6 overall) is the third rated point guard, behind Caitlin Clark (No. 1 overall) and Haley Van Lith (No. 5 overall). Yet most of the Boneyard buzz seems to be about Bueckers. What is it about Bueckers that excites the UConn faithful and/or what is it about the other two that has failed to generate as much hope and speculation?

Good question. For me it has been exposure. She showed up big time in USA basketball. A freshman mix tape gives you a look at the promise. Freshman PG Paige Bueckers Mixtape With North Tartan @ AAU State Qualifier!

And within 20 or so #es in ranking at that age, who's counting.

The Golden Gophers offered Paige when see played the varsity for a state champion team as an 8th grader.

Maya's coach impressed. Hopkins 8th grader Paige Bueckers attracts attention from colleges -- and Lynx coach

"Talent allows her to fit in on the court. Bueckers plays beyond her years, always has, even as a young girl when she caught the eye of a WNBA coach.

“I remember it like it was yesterday,” Reeve said."

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston
IMG_0506-e1504298734920-300x300.jpg

2018 6'3 Post : iExcel Basketball
“She was a rock defensively with her ability to block and change shots, consistently win 1v1 post battles playing from behind, as well as dominate the boards with her excellent use of body and her strong hands above her head. She also showed soft touch around the rim, the ability to draw fouls and finish through contact, strong post fundamentals, and hustle on the offensive glass.” – Rob Grieve, Insider Exposure

sam-brunelle-fade-away.jpg

PHILLY FACE/OFF 2017 : MOST outstanding 2019

Samantha Brunelle
2019 6'2 Wing : Team Loaded

Sammy Brunelle is so much more than an outstanding basketball player. This dynamic 2019 prospect is a match up nightmare for opposing teams. Brunelle kills you from the outside and/or the inside, with uncanny poise and control. She has a strong understanding of space, how to create it and use it to get whatever she wants. Sammy’s big heart and upbeat personality can be seen in her competitive spirit between the baselines and her personable demeanor outside the lines, which is why she will be one of the great ones.

Philly Face/Off – STANDOUTS 2017

Team Loaded? Really? Back in the day (tell us gramps, please) you wanted to be under the radar, not over the top.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I see Laeticia Amihere is considering Uconn. She is a 6'3" forward from Canada. Rated the number two player and number two forward in the 2019 class. Seems she may be as good as Brunell. Does anyone have any information on her or a maybe a mix tape?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
To add to Alydar's excellent list, Bueckers' skill level is Grade A. She shot 62% from the field as a freshmen hitting every kind of shot you can imagine---beautiful jumper, floater, pull-up, and all kinds of twisty layups with both hands.

I'll be shocked if she's not top-3 on all majors sites within a year or so.
The HoopGurlz rankings seem to be the product of Dan Olson. Is he a respected figure in this area? Is he free from conflict?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The HoopGurlz rankings seem to be the product of Dan Olson. Is he a respected figure in this area? Is he free from conflict?

I have no idea. I've seen people complain that he doesn't get out to see as many players as others but who knows. Either way, his don't never deviate wildly from the other outlets, all of which have Bueckers top-10 right now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Olson background includes being a former college coach. I can't remember which college but since he joined ESPN a few year ago he has been conflict free to the best of my knowledge.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I see Laeticia Amihere is considering Uconn. She is a 6'3" forward from Canada. Rated the number two player and number two forward in the 2019 class. Seems she may be as good as Brunell. Does anyone have any information on her or a maybe a mix tape?
Brunelle & Amihere are different type of players both are great. Brunelle is gifted on the offensive side of the ball with mad range that must be accounted for or else she becomes lethal. Amihere is the best and most versatile on ball defender I have ever seen. She has a Kelly Faris like ability to stay in front of the ball handler. She has the ability to defend positions 1-5 and is blessed with Gabby type athleticism. BTW those mix tapes of Amihere dunking-she was 15 at the time! UCONN will have room both, because UCONN will have graduated 2 (KLS & Napheesa) & possibly 3 (+Azura) AA before Brunelle & Amihere get to campus.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brunelle & Amihere are different type of players both are great. Brunelle is gifted on the offensive side of the ball with mad range that must be accounted for or else she becomes lethal. Amihere is the best and most versatile on ball defender I have ever seen. She has a Kelly Faris like ability to stay in front of the ball handler. She has the ability to defend positions 1-5 and is blessed with Gabby type athleticism. BTW those mix tapes of Amihere dunking-she was 15 at the time! UCONN will have room both, because UCONN will have graduated 2 (KLS & Napheesa) & possibly 3 (+Azura) AA before Brunelle & Amihere get to campus.
Azura will leave in either 2018 or 2019. Lou and Pheesa leave in 2019, though I think Pheesa may be eligible in 2018.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Olson background includes being a former college coach. I can't remember which college but since he joined ESPN a few year ago he has been conflict free to the best of my knowledge.
Still, it's only one assessment and, ultimately, the only opinion that will matter will be Geno's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Azura will leave in either 2018 or 2019. Lou and Pheesa leave in 2019, though I think Pheesa may be eligible in 2018.
Baring injury and a red shirt season, Azura, Napheesa & KLS will all be gone by the time Brunelle & Amihere come to UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Still, it's only one assessment and, ultimately, the only opinion that will matter will be Geno's.
Maybe. I'd say Geno and staff, remember Geno has to be convinced by Shea to recruit Moriah Jefferson.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Baring injury and a red shirt season, Azura, Napheesa & KLS will all be gone by the time Brunelle & Amihere come to UCONN.
Correct. Ah, now I understand what you were saying. Azura's departure is certain by 2019; "possibly" referred to her AA status, not her departure.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe. I'd say Geno and staff, remember Geno has to be convinced by Shea to recruit Moriah Jefferson.

Can you find an old article or video snippet or such on that. Went by me at the time. Don't doubt you Coco, just fascinated by it.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Coaches at Auriemma's level in the game don't make special trips to see HS open gyms of kids at Buecker's age unless they are dead serious about them. I think she may be a once every 10 years talent by her senior year.
"Honey, I won't be home for dinner tonight."
"But I made manicotti."
"The folks at The Boneyard think I need to see this Buecker kid."
"Okay, I'll leave some in the fridge."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Geno had to be convinced that it was actually possible for her to leave Texas and not a waste of time.
He had to be convinced of a few things.
1) That he could coach her to slow down, control and utilize her speed effectively.
2) That UCONN actually had a shot of getting her and he was not wasting his time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom