2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 34 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Enlighten me--if you would--as to the procedure when a recruit such as CW makes an official visit to UConn. Is there a time limit on how long she can visit? Do her parents accompany her? Do/Does they/she stay in the dorm or a hotel? Does a current player chaperone her? What's the biggest selling point, the banners? Geno? Will the player meet with just Geno or the entire coaching staff? If the player has a favorite former UConn player (say, DT) will UConn make an effort to get her to campus? Does the recruit get to shoot around or play a pick up game with the current players? If the visit goes well, do players ever commit to UConn during the visit?

Thanks. I appreciate your indulgence.

I'll defer to those more knowledgeable about UConn official visits..........in this instance CW has already been to Storrs on her own dime and has toured Geno's office and seen all of those championship trophies so it's going to be more about meeting the current team, coaches etc.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Enlighten me--if you would--as to the procedure when a recruit such as CW makes an official visit to UConn.
Is there a time limit on how long she can visit? Do her parents accompany her? Do/Does they/she stay in the dorm or a hotel? Does a current player chaperone her? What's the biggest selling point, the banners? Geno? Will the player meet with just Geno or the entire coaching staff? If the player has a favorite former UConn player (say, DT) will UConn make an effort to get her to campus? Does the recruit get to shoot around or play a pick up game with the current players? If the visit goes well, do players ever commit to UConn during the visit?
Thanks. I appreciate your indulgence.

Q: Is there a time limit on how long she can visit?
A: Yes official visits are limited to 48 hours on campus.

Q: Do her parents accompany her?
A: Yes per a recent change in recruiting the parents expenses are also covered by the University.

Q: Do/Does they/she stay in the dorm or a hotel?
A: Usually in a dorm room for at least one night and attendance to class in a major that prospect might be interested in.

Q: Does a current player chaperone her?
A: Yes a member of the current team is usually assigned to chaperone or host for the weekend.

Q: What's the biggest selling point, the banners?
A: It varies could be anything from Kathy or Nona's (Geno's wife and mother) cooking to how well they relate to the teammates. The teammates actually get an input at ND and UCONN. Banners and rings certainly help but a recruit already knows about those before they get to campus.

Q: Will the player meet with just Geno or the entire coaching staff?
A: At some point the recruit will meet the entire staff and current team.

Q: If the player has a favorite former UConn player (say, DT) will UConn make an effort to get her to campus?
A: No. Contact with the recruit is limited to UCONN staff only.

Q: Does the recruit get to shoot around or play a pick up game with the current players?
A: That's at least three separate things. Pickup games are unsupervised by the coaches so I'm not sure what the rules- likely the recruit can participate. A shoot around is something typically done on the morning of game day=very serious business does not include recruit participation. Regular practice the rules have changed, in my daughters day 2010 there were no "formal" practices during recruiting visits-typically Aug-Sept early Oct-likely no recruit participation in a formal practice.

Q: If the visit goes well, do players ever commit to UConn during the visit?
A: Sometimes.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

A: Yes per a recent change in recruiting the parents expenses are also covered by the University.

A: Usually in a dorm room for at least one night and attendance to class in a major that prospect might be interested in.

A: Yes a member of the current team is usually assigned to chaperone or host for the weekend.

A: It varies could be anything from Kathy or Nona's (Geno's wife and mother) cooking to how well they relate to the teammates. The teammates actually get an input at ND and UCONN. Banners and rings certainly help but a recruit already knows about those before they get to campus.

Q: If the player has a favorite former UConn player (say, DT) will UConn make an effort to get her to campus?

Q: Does the recruit get to shoot around or play a pick up game with the current players?
A: That's at least three separate things. Pickup games are unsupervised by the coaches so I'm not sure what the rules- likely the recruit can participate. A shoot around is something typically done on the morning of game day=very serious business does not include recruit participation. Regular practice the rules have changed, in my daughters day 2010 there were no "formal" practices during recruiting visits-typically Aug-Sept early Oct-likely no recruit participation in a formal practice.

Awesome. Thank you.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'll defer to those more knowledgeable about UConn official visits.....in this instance CW has already been to Storrs on her own dime and has toured Geno's office and seen all of those championship trophies so it's going to be more about meeting the current team, coaches etc....
Thank you.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I would think the official visit would be similar regardless of the division. During my daughters recruitment, she stayed an entire weekend (Friday - Monday) in the dorm with the team. She visited with the coaches, watched practice and participated in the first night. I didn't accompany her to that one. She did this at a few schools. Others were day visits where my mom and I went with her.

During her freshman year in college, she played hostice to a recruit from Florida. She stayed with my daughter in the dorm, went to classes and visited with the entire coaching staff.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
I really like Caitlin Clark's game especially her all out effort and outside shot but to place her ahead of Paige Bueckers is downright silly...........

Reaction Score
I hope to get a chance to watch the 2 pg's ahead of Bueckers this coming season. They must be something really really really special.

Reaction Score
I hope to get a chance to watch the 2 pg's ahead of Bueckers this coming season. They must be something really really really special.
I watched Clark in international play and she was a bundle of energy with certain athletic limitations.......kind of an old fashioned player.....she hit a number of big outside shots for the team......that said I would predict that Bueckers is going to have a far bigger impact for her college team where ever she ends up........I know absolutely nothing about Van Lith......have to look for some video.....she looks about eight years old in the ESPN photo

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I really like Caitlin Clark's game especially her all out effort and outside shot but to place her ahead of Paige Bueckers is downright silly......

Bueckers is going to move up all three lists (10th, 6th, 3rd) before all is said and done.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston
IMG_0506-e1504298734920-300x300.jpg

2018 6'3 Post : iExcel Basketball
“She was a rock defensively with her ability to block and change shots, consistently win 1v1 post battles playing from behind, as well as dominate the boards with her excellent use of body and her strong hands above her head. She also showed soft touch around the rim, the ability to draw fouls and finish through contact, strong post fundamentals, and hustle on the offensive glass.” – Rob Grieve, Insider Exposure

sam-brunelle-fade-away.jpg

PHILLY FACE/OFF 2017 : MOST outstanding 2019

Samantha Brunelle
2019 6'2 Wing : Team Loaded

Sammy Brunelle is so much more than an outstanding basketball player. This dynamic 2019 prospect is a match up nightmare for opposing teams. Brunelle kills you from the outside and/or the inside, with uncanny poise and control. She has a strong understanding of space, how to create it and use it to get whatever she wants. Sammy’s big heart and upbeat personality can be seen in her competitive spirit between the baselines and her personable demeanor outside the lines, which is why she will be one of the great ones.

Philly Face/Off – STANDOUTS 2017

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Extensive Premiere Basketball Report piece on the players and teams from the '19-'22 classes that impressed them most this summer. Loads of UConn targets mentioned.

Summer's Over

Reaction Score

Coco for NCAA Commissioner!!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers this weekend

According to the HoopGurlz list of prospects for 2020, Bueckers (No. 6 overall) is the third rated point guard, behind Caitlin Clark (No. 1 overall) and Haley Van Lith (No. 5 overall). Yet most of the Boneyard buzz seems to be about Bueckers. What is it about Bueckers that excites the UConn faithful and/or what is it about the other two that has failed to generate as much hope and speculation?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to the HoopGurlz list of prospects for 2020, Bueckers (No. 6 overall) is the third rated point guard, behind Caitlin Clark (No. 1 overall) and Haley Van Lith (No. 5 overall). Yet most of the Boneyard buzz seems to be about Bueckers. What is it about Bueckers that excites the UConn faithful and/or what is it about the other two that has failed to generate as much hope and speculation?
I just think Bueckers caught BY attention first thanks to some posting by either @Sluconn Husky or @CoachBill. From the very first BY posting Bueckers was described as the perfect UCONN fit because of her advanced, college ready, unselfish passing game. Caitlin Clark played well at USA U16 and has a very pretty, KML- like shooting stroke but her ball handling and passing are not close to Bueckers who was on the same USA team and made positive things happen every time she was put into the games. Lith also appears to be an impressive player. They are all young and we have 2 full years before us and they have to make a decision on college but IMO Bueckers is a step (perhaps 2) ahead at this time.

Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston
IMG_0506-e1504298734920-300x300.jpg

2018 6'3 Post : iExcel Basketball
“She was a rock defensively with her ability to block and change shots, consistently win 1v1 post battles playing from behind, as well as dominate the boards with her excellent use of body and her strong hands above her head. She also showed soft touch around the rim, the ability to draw fouls and finish through contact, strong post fundamentals, and hustle on the offensive glass.” – Rob Grieve, Insider Exposure

sam-brunelle-fade-away.jpg

PHILLY FACE/OFF 2017 : MOST outstanding 2019

Samantha Brunelle
2019 6'2 Wing : Team Loaded

Sammy Brunelle is so much more than an outstanding basketball player. This dynamic 2019 prospect is a match up nightmare for opposing teams. Brunelle kills you from the outside and/or the inside, with uncanny poise and control. She has a strong understanding of space, how to create it and use it to get whatever she wants. Sammy’s big heart and upbeat personality can be seen in her competitive spirit between the baselines and her personable demeanor outside the lines, which is why she will be one of the great ones.

Philly Face/Off – STANDOUTS 2017
Love what I hear about both but particularly intrigued with Boston. UConn's championships always based on both good offense and GREAT defense. You could make a case that Stewie and team were one of the best, if not THE best defensive teams UConn has had. While it always seems that the hot offensive player gets the most press, Geno has done great job through the years recruiting players that can shut down other team as much as create points.

Reaction Score
I just think Bueckers caught BY attention first thanks to some posting by either @Sluconn Husky or @CoachBill. From the very first BY posting Bueckers was described as the perfect UCONN fit because of her advanced, college ready, unselfish passing game. Caitlin Clark played well at USA U16 and has a very pretty, KML- like shooting stroke but her ball handling and passing are not close to Bueckers who was on the same USA team and made positive things happen every time she was put into the games. Lith also appears to be an impressive player. They are all young and we have 2 full years before us and they have to make a decision on college but IMO Bueckers is a step (perhaps 2) ahead at this time.
At first glance, Bueckers capability is something special. Her court vision and awareness is rare, and for my money, she's a must have for UCONN...as they say, leaders "make things happen"...and that is her MO - a perfect match for the Huskies!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Could link to comments on her but the best way to find out would be to watch her play. A handful of her high school games as well as her performances with the US U16 team are available. Even her highlight packages on Hudl would do.

Reaction Score

I know nothing about the other two so it may be that they are better players at this point. My love of Bueckers' game comes from a few articles I read, a few high school game videos (as opposed to those edited videos) and watching her in the U16 games.

I usually don't even watch HS games or players. But from the first time I saw Bueckers there was a flair to her game that reminded me of Taurasi. Emphasis on "reminds". Some players have an intense look when they are playing. Taurasi (at UConn) always seemed like she played with a sense of joy, that she was in her element and played with supreme confidence. I see that same thing in Bueckers. Taurasi always seemed to be 2 or 3 seconds ahead of everyone else. I see the same thing to a lesser degree from Bueckers. And like DT (and most every UConn recruit), Bueckers only has one thing on her mind, winning the game.

• She has outstanding court vision and with the ball in her hands always seems to know what she is going to do with it. Too many HS guards dribble themselves into trouble. Bueckers knows when defenses are about to converge on her and gets the ball to an open teammate. She plays fast but always under control.
  • She makes layups.
  • She not only passes to open players but she puts the passes perfectly in their hands so that they remain in stride if on a break or so they can shoot without shifting their position.
  • She changes speeds on drives and has a deceptively quick lateral move.
  • She has a quick release on her shot.
  • She plays defense. She anticipates what the offense is doing which results in a lot of steals and even more deflections. She also has a long wingspan.
  • She plays with the same intensity whether or not she has the ball.
  • She has a swagger. I've never seen her play with anything but a confident attitude. I had a grammar school teacher that had a little speech about people and how some know and some only think they know. Bueckers looks like the one who knows and knows they know.
One last thing. If Bueckers is indeed the player I think she is Geno will want to coach her for 4 years. And anything that keeps him from retiring is a good thing.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom