2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If she doesn't fit UConn I don't know what does. I have such a strong premonition she will end up here. My intuition is legendary.
Some of Justine seems to be rubbing off. Proof that if you stand next to a jewel even coal will shine.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ESPN article on 2019 Zia Cooke mentions that Cooke doesn't have an offer yet from the Huskies but that she still has them in her top-five schools. Sounds like they'd be a favorite for her if they offered.

Cooke has scholarship offers from just about every top program in the nation. Her top five, she said, is an ever-changing list. But, for the moment, she likes Connecticut, South Carolina, Ohio State, Tennessee and Maryland, in no particular order.

Of those five, only UConn has not offered her, but the Huskies are recruiting her, she said.

"The main thing is that I want a family-type atmosphere," Cooke said. "I should be able to come to my college coach for whatever reason, and we should be a family.

"I also want a coach who will make me better but let me be free to a certain extent -- not try to control my game."

Toledo Rogers basketball star Zia Cooke gets glowing reviews after winning gold medal with USA Basketball

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ESPN article on 2019 Zia Cooke mentions that Cooke doesn't have an offer yet from the Huskies but that she still has them in her top-five schools. Sounds like they'd be a favorite for her if they offered.

Cooke has scholarship offers from just about every top program in the nation. Her top five, she said, is an ever-changing list. But, for the moment, she likes Connecticut, South Carolina, Ohio State, Tennessee and Maryland, in no particular order.

Of those five, only UConn has not offered her, but the Huskies are recruiting her, she said.

"The main thing is that I want a family-type atmosphere," Cooke said. "I should be able to come to my college coach for whatever reason, and we should be a family.

"I also want a coach who will make me better but let me be free to a certain extent -- not try to control my game."

Toledo Rogers basketball star Zia Cooke gets glowing reviews after winning gold medal with USA Basketball

:oops:Reading between these lines ""I also want a coach who will make me better but let me be free to a certain extent -- not try to control my game." it will be TN or tOSU.

Reaction Score
:oops:Reading between these lines ""I also want a coach who will make me better but let me be free to a certain extent -- not try to control my game." it will be TN or tOSU.

She displayed some awesome moves through the paint at the U16's but very few of the shots that came as a result of those moves went into the basket. I wouldn't pidgeon-hole a player who still has years of high school ahead of her but at this point she appears to be more flash than substance. The flash is quite impressive however.

My widely speculative guess is that Brenda will land her with promises of family & freedom.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She displayed some awesome moves through the paint at the U16's but very few of the shots that came as a result of those moves went into the basket. I wouldn't pidgeon-hole a player who still has years of high school ahead of her but at this point she appears to be more flash than substance. The flash is quite impressive however.
My widely speculative guess is that Brenda will land her with promises of family & freedom.
So MD for 1 year and then transfer?
This may sound harsh but IMO there are elements to Cooke's game that will need to be "controlled" right out.
She dribbles way too much and is far too right hand dominant. Maybe I'm old school but HS sophomores shouldn't be concerned about "control" from any coach that is trying to help you get better.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Cooke shot 46% at the U16 tourney, by far the second-best---behind Bueckers---of any backcourt player. Missed some of her closer shots, but then other than Bueckers so did everyone else. Cooke's got some 1-on-1 to her game which isn't, in and of itself, a bad thing. Lots of scoring skill. I'm still interested in her, just think she's superfluous if UConn can land Bueckers and Fudd. Big ifs, obviously.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

""The main thing is that I want a family-type atmosphere," Cooke said. "I should be able to come to my college coach for whatever reason, and we should be a family."

This quote made me think it would be tOSU. They'll probably need a new Assistant coach by then. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Earlier in the week, some of us were commenting about Maya Moore. The question was asked if there will ever be another that will come along to rival her accomplishments. I said yes. Special players (like Maya), while they do not come along every day, do come along every once in a while. I said I didn't know who she is, or when she will burst upon the scene, but she will come.

She may be someone like this youngster, Special K. She's already got the basketball bug at 8 years old. She already has skills most 8 year olds are still looking for and trying to master. You know she's going to get better, and improve as she matures and gets older. No doubt, we'll hear more about her in the years to come if she does not get distracted or falls in love with another sport.
She's got at least 9 more years before she has to think about committing to a college program.

I'll bet breakfast that when Jeff Walz (Louisville) finds out about her, he'll offer her, if he hasn't already. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You know I have been talking up this recruit for about six months and now she's finally getting the press she deserves...........UConn is aware of her let's leave it at that:

Reaction Score
Sammie P is a slammie for ND. Sam B is a Slammie for Uconn (I hope)

depends on how much you believe in young love..........Sam B's boyfriend is a big time baseball player and he's going to Clemson I believe.........I wonder if Sam B wants to stay close to him and closer to home or if she is willing to make the full commitment to UConn up north........

Reaction Score
Could someone help me with the math? Does this mean that she's just finished NINTH grade? if that's right, with all those offers, I still can't get my head around this aspect of college sports....Not only do I think this is bad for the kid; I wonder how the colleges know she'll get the requisite SAT scores. oh, never mind....

O--never mind!! I'm among those that think this isn't a great trip for 8th/9th/10th graders-- I'm all for watching, from afar, no personal contact---if she were my kid, I'd beam from the attention, then realize--I want my kid to enjoy life while she can---and I verbalized those word to my kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom