2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 199 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was hilarious! As far as the political polls, they were often wrong, or incorrect, or poorly researched, or inaccurate. But it is a quite a leap to call them "lying" . Please do not allow yourself to fall into the narrative that says if I do not agree with what is said, it is a lie. You have shown that you are too intelligent to believe it. Too much of of that stuff anywhere makes it more likely to spread everywhere. Our national discourse should be better this. If you were being facetious there, I missed it. Even superman put truth before justice and the American way, because he knew you can't have one without the other. Sorry to be so longwinded, but my head hurts from watching the "NEWS". :)
Of course I agree 100%.

But what the people who have coined the term "fake" news fail to understand is that the term comes from the idea of conveying that which is "new"; it encompasses all things new. Now, is it true? Is it factual? Is it current? That is a different matter. Besides, its always new to someone. Nevertheless, the idea that there can be a thing such as "fake" news is a clear and intentional misnomer. As always, when I hear someone pounding their "fake" news shoe on the table I remember the old adage, "First consider the source".

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
IMO, a strong conference has a number of teams challenging each year for the conference championship. The SEC has been dominated by SC. Perhaps this year MS St will dethrone them. Baylor owns the Big12. MD owns the BIG. ND or Louisville own the ACC. The Pac12 is a little more competitive with Oregon, OSt and Stanford fighting for the top spot. Come tournament time, the Usual Suspects make their runs deep into the tournament with very few exceptions.

By that rubric, if you had a conference of the 10 worst teams in the country and a different team won the championship every year, it would be the strongest conference in the country.

Seems to me your argument is basically that there are no "strong" conferences but then "strong" is a relative term. Surely some conferences must be stronger than others because it's obvious that every conference is not equal. To assert that all conferences are equally strong would be patently ridiculous.

"Challenging" is an interesting word to use. While ND had dominated the ACC prior to last year, they were certainly challenged by Syracuse, Duke, Florida State, and Louisville and suffered suprise upset losses to Miami and NC State during that span.

You can twist it however you like. There are simply more good teams in the power 5 conferences than there are in non-P5 conferences.

Put it this way - the median team in any given Power 5 conference will be better than the median team in a non-P5 conference.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, you don't get change your argument mid-stream. You said the teams outside of the 2-3 are mediocre compared to non-P5 teams. That is false.
Now you’re changing my argument mid-stream. I said P-5 conferences are “generally better” and that once you get by the top 2-3 teams, they are characterized by “mediocrity.” I did not directly compare P-5 to non-P-5 conferences.

Reaction Score
By that rubric, if you had a conference of the 10 worst teams in the country and a different team won the championship every year, it would be the strongest conference in the country.

Seems to me your argument is basically that there are no "strong" conferences but then "strong" is a relative term. Surely some conferences must be stronger than others because it's obvious that every conference is not equal. To assert that all conferences are equally strong would be patently ridiculous.

"Challenging" is an interesting word to use. While ND had dominated the ACC prior to last year, they were certainly challenged by Syracuse, Duke, Florida State, and Louisville and suffered suprise upset losses to Miami and NC State during that span.

You can twist it however you like. There are simply more good teams in the power 5 conferences than there are in non-P5 conferences.

Put it this way - the median team in any given Power 5 conference will be better than the median team in a non-P5 conference.

just face it.....................learn to deal with the new reality.......................the AAC is the new power conference in town and they're coming for the ACC baby!!!!!!!!!!..................:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

OK, my argument is a bit of a stretch, but the truth is that the P-5 conferences are all top heavy, with a select few teams that can win the conference or challenge for a national championship.

Reaction Score
Gusters has a connection to TN both past (Tamika Catchings) and present (Zarielle Green) since all attended same HS, Duncanville. Besides that connection what would make Gusters high on TN?
Candace Parker is her favorite player, I’m sure she will be able to meet her if she schedules a visit to Knoxville.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
just face it......learn to deal with the new reality........the AAC is the new power conference in town and they're coming for the ACC baby!!!!!!!!!!...:rolleyes:

Since its inception in 2013, women's basketball teams in the AAC have made slow but steady progress. Last year, several teams moved the needle considerably, improving their records from the year before. Yesterday, every AAC team that played, won, except Houston which lost to #24 Cal (on the road) by 1 point, 80-79. This morning, UCF (on the road) beat Pitt 61-58. The dark clouds are beginning to move away from the AAC. :cool:

Four years ago when Ron Hughey took over the Houston program, the Cougars finished 6-24 his first two seasons. They finished 20-12 (9-7) last year, and received a WNIT invite.

Every season, I pay particular attention to how AAC teams do in the "out of conference" portion of their schedule. With each passing year, AAC teams are improving and winning games they lost in years past.

AAC teams will continue to struggle to win games against top 40 teams (and receive post season tournament invites) until they begin to attract and sign top 100 ranked players. In the 2018 class, only one other AAC program besides UConn signed a top 100 player. UCF signed #95 Diamond Battles. This year again, only one other program besides UConn signed a top 100 player from the 2019 class. Memphis signed #80 Lanetta Williams.

Note - USF did not sign a top 100 player the last two years. Jose Fernandez' 2018-2019 roster features 8 players brought in from outside of the U.S.

In another couple of years, if AAC teams continue their upward trajectory, it may well become a conference that regularly sends more than two teams to the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Candace Parker is her favorite player, I’m sure she will be able to meet her if she schedules a visit to Knoxville.
Ah....That doesn't do anything for me. 1700 miles from Storrs, CT to Duncanville, TX.
Gusters made this trip on her own dime. Gusters does not have ND on her list of schools. It seems like every other big out of Texas that UCONN tried to recruit had ND on their list. Cox, Turner, Prince, Collier.
If you told me Gusters made an unofficial visit to Knoxville which is only half the distance from her home compared to UCONN then I say that is "something". Candace is a lot of young players favorite player, they eventually grow up.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I am really getting nervous. Why is it taking so long again this year?

Didn't ONO and Christyn wait until the early signing period to announce last year ? So it's the same amount of time yet this year Aubrey Griffin has committed already.

I see now that you said "again" but the sentiment is the same. It worked out last year the way it's supposed to. I'm sure it'll all be fine when it shakes out.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I am really getting nervous. Why is it taking so long again this year?

Wherever she goes, Jones isn't announcing until the 14th because she's been invited to do one of those ESPN signing specials as their #1 prospect.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched Jones play in her high school state tournament game last season. So I have seen her play maybe three or four times. Will someone tell me if she is better or as good as Napheesa was as a high school junior. I I saw Collier play three years. I know Collier was not a number one ranked player but some years a player ranked number five or six is better than a player rated number one in other years. I'm asking about their ability, not their ranking. How do they compare? Also, Jones may not be ranked number one at the end of this season.

MTC

Reaction Score
What I wanted to know is how Haley compare with DT at this age level? I think the answer might be very well.

Reaction Score
I watched Jones play in her high school state tournament game last season. So I have seen her play maybe three or four times. Will someone tell me if she is better or as good as Napheesa was as a high school junior. I I saw Collier play three years. I know Collier was not a number one ranked player but some years a player ranked number five or six is better than a player rated number one in other years. I'm asking about their ability, not their ranking. How do they compare? Also, Jones may not be ranked number one at the end of this season.

IMHO they are very similar. I think Jones may be a slightly better shooter, ball handler, and defender.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very comparable players. I'll try it by position:
PF: Napheesa would be the better PF because although both players are listed at the same height 6'1" Napheesa has more length. Napheesa is a polished offensive post player. Haley occasionally resides in the post but could not make a living dow there.
SF/Wing: Haley would be the better wing because she handles the ball better on the perimeter and has a more reliable 3 ball.
SG: Haley Jones can play shooting guard, Napheesa cannot. Haley Jones can also defend SG/or (PG in a pinch) Napheesa would struggle with defending quicker SGs or PGs.
PG: (Initiate the Offense) Not saying Haley is a PG just saying you can use her to initiate the offense like Gabby Williams did two season ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Coco says, Haley is a little more versatile and a little better defender. I'm not sure she's a better player, but my guess is that their overall talent and effectiveness are similar. Keep in mind that Phee was a 1st Team AP All-American as a sophomore and reportedly the recruit Geno wanted most in that class (even more than Lou, whom he really wanted) because of her versatility. If we get Haley, it's a little like getting a variation of Phee, which would be awesome!

MTC

Reaction Score
As good as HJ may be, I think Boston would help us more since we need inside help next year. Where could I find a video of HJ playing?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Today is Nov. 10. I believe that Haley is in Oregon this weekend and will announce in 4 days. I think Aliyah announces no later than 11 days from now. Let’s grab some wins on the court and some future stars in recruiting!

Reaction Score
Today is Nov. 10. I believe that Haley is in Oregon this weekend and will announce in 4 days. I think Aliyah announces no later than 11 days from now. Let’s grab some wins on the court and some future stars in recruiting!
As much as we want these two recruits it is up to them. There is absolutely nothing we can do to make them sign with UCONN. It is their choice!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom