2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 197 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
I don't recall if Titletown was among the Chicken Little impersonators, but I recall several posters on this board predicting that Megan Walker and Mikayla Coombs would bail out because of the way Geno was mistreating them during their freshman year. And maybe Lexi Gordon would do the same thing. Another clouded crystal ball, apparently.

Geno's poker bets on subjects such as this usually work out more often than they don't. Remember that he pushed Rebecco Lobo (in her first two years) and Charde Houston many years later ALMOST to their respective breaking points, but not beyond. He guessed where their limit was, and pushed right up to that limit. The same applies to his recruiting, and why he doesn't make "safety" offers -- he usually doesn't need to.

If he REALLY doesn't expect to get top players in a particular year, he will recruit a Megan Gardler / Kyla Irwin / Molly Bent. But he doesn't like to make those kinds of scholarship offers, and in most years he doesn't have to. I think we would have seen those kind of offers being made and accepted for 2019 if he truly didn't expect to get Jones and/or Boston. That doesn't mean that they will come to Storrs, but it probably means that Geno has some reason to think that they are quite likely to do so.

I would never post a thing about possible transfers, that is a rule on this board for a reason, and I respect it.

Reaction Score
The speculation that all these players will follow SB to ND seems overblown. SB seems like a nice kid and I’m sure she will be a solid player for the Irish. But she was the 11th of 12 players on the U17 World Championship team. If the younger players are going to follow anyone on that team, it’s more likely that they will follow one of the senior starters: Jones, Boston and possibly even Horston.

There certainly has been a lot of talk on the "friendship" subject here for quite some time .................I'm glad we'll get a partial answer to that question in the next few weeks...........saw this clip on the ND board and thought it was interesting.......

https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=62353;d=this

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What about Fudd and Bueckers unofficial visits to ND as well . Being spotted wearing the ND attire when they are not on campus means nothing right ? Im hoping Jones committs to UCONN but i wouldnt hold my breath for Fudd or Beuckers they are pretty strong ND leans at the moment but alot of time for things to change.
Based on what?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Any in this decade? Century?
If your predictive modus operandi is to forecast that no Top 10 recruit in any year will come to UConn (and one can always find reasons why each player would not), then you are guaranteed to be right 7 or 8 times in any year, since even UConn hardly ever recruits more than 3 Top 10 players in a class. I would be interested to know if Titletown ever predicted that a Top 10 recruit WOULD come to UConn, correctly or incorrectly?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The really close relationship is between Paige and Azzi. I expect they will probably wind up at the same place. I don’t buy the premise that Sam will lead everyone to ND, which was really her second choice.

I just wonder how people know these things or think they know them. The "really close relationship is between Paige and Azzi" and they will "probably wind up at the same place"...are you on their text thread or something?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What about Fudd and Bueckers unofficial visits to ND as well . Being spotted wearing the ND attire when they are not on campus means nothing right ? Im hoping Jones committs to UCONN but i wouldnt hold my breath for Fudd or Beuckers they are pretty strong ND leans at the moment but alot of time for things to change.

Players take unofficials, and plenty of them. I'm not suggesting those two are UConn bound, but if Notre Dame is such a lock for them then why did they both just take their second visit to UConn and do so without any planning by the school? Flying from DC and Minnesota to Connecticut just to join your friends at their official visits seems like a big signal.

Reaction Score
I just wonder how people know these things or think they know them. The "really close relationship is between Paige and Azzi" and they will "probably wind up at the same place"...are you on their text thread or something?

well I think it's fair to say that they are close, I believe they have acknowledged that and PB has traveled back and forth to train with which is somewhat unusual for a high school kid from Minnesota and a kid from Virginia...............whether that closeness leads to a mutual recruiting decision is yet to be determined...............

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Players take unofficials, and plenty of them. I'm not suggesting those two are UConn bound, but if Notre Dame is such a lock for them then why did they both just take their second visit to UConn and do so without any planning by the school? Flying from DC and Minnesota to Connecticut just to join your friends at their official visits seems like a big signal.

I have a feeling this discussion will be on going even after PB enters college.........

Reaction Score
I will admit that I tend to be a pessimist, but it is a little bit of both. I think that the strong relationship that Boston, Fudd, and Bueckers have with Brunelle, and ND's recent success, means that they end together in South Bend. I think that location and education are going to play a big factor for Jones, and she ends up at Stanford. I also think that the number of kids that are willing to make the sacrifices needed to play for Coach Auriemma, are getting fewer and fewer by the year. He is etremely hard on his players, because he views getting anything but the absolute best out of every player, as a failure. Again, I really hope I am wrong about this.
ND's recent success? What about UConn's? They've won 4 of the last 6 NCs. ND has won one. Does only the last 12 months count?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
well I think it's fair to say that they are close, I believe they have acknowledged that and PB has traveled back and forth to train with which is somewhat unusual for a high school kid from Minnesota and a kid from Virginia.....whether that closeness leads to a mutual recruiting decision is yet to be determined.....

It's obvious that they're close. I'm talking about the assertion that Bueckers and Fudd are closer with each other than either is with Brunelle, a claim Milford has repeated many times. It may well be true, I just wonder how one could possibly know this.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

It's midterm elections time. To heck with that civility stuff. Neither Russia or China are our true enemies. Vote for me. Let's just pile on Title Town. Yipee!

Or we could just wait and see, cartwheel into the room, and politely say 'Told you so. That's what I'll do. No matter. Vote for me. I give you real choices.

Reaction Score
And that's before their junior and sophomore seasons respectively even begin. I can't believe that that happens very often if ever. Close to decision time possibly, but not this early.

Reaction Score
Zia Cooke to ND. Decreases the likelihood of other PG's going there?

Reaction Score
It's obvious that they're close. I'm talking about the assertion that Bueckers and Fudd are closer with each other than either is with Brunelle, a claim Milford has repeated many times. It may well be true, I just wonder how one could possibly know this.

not sure about that one.........I suppose the two of them are closer in age, that's the only thing I could think of.......

Reaction Score

The same people here who claim to know about players relationships are doing the same on the other boards saying the exact same thing. But since its NOT for _____ it becomes false news lol Double standard it seems

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Zia Cooke to ND. Decreases the likelihood of other PG's going there?

I'm assuming you mean South Carolina.

Either way, as long as she's coaching WCBB Dawn Staley should always be considered a threat when it comes to signing elite point guards.. she's currently on a nice run with Harris, Henderson and now Cooke. That said, with Henderson for another three years and Cooke for another four, I don't think SC is gunning to sign a PG in 2020, we may sign one but it's not priority #1. As far as I know, the point guard we're interested in for 2020 is Sarah Andrews. I wouldn't be surprised if we offered Bueckers, but I don't really think any point guard in 2020 is a top priority for us besides maybe Andrews.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you mean South Carolina.

Either way, as long as she's coaching WCBB Dawn Staley should always be considered a threat when it comes to signing elite point guards.. she's currently on a nice run with Harris, Henderson and now Cooke. That said, with Henderson for another three years and Cooke for another four, I don't think SC is gunning to sign a PG in 2020, we may sign one but it's not priority #1. As far as I know, the point guard we're interested in for 2020 is Sarah Andrews. I wouldn't be surprised if we offered Bueckers, but I don't really think any point guard in 2020 is a top priority for us besides maybe Andrews.

ohhhhhhhhh you just try getting the ball out of Cooke's hands...............I think you guys are going to be calling her "coast to coast" before you know it...............Sarah Andrews is on everybody's radar including UConn I think..............she is the Robin in Batman and Robin along with Ms Gusters.............just waiting for the double recruitment stories to start............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom