2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 193 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Perfect reply. Geno has always been the expert at utilizing talent, not matter what position. Based on the competition, not unusual to see him go big, small, defense oriented, etc. Not sure I understand posts that say UConn (or any team) is well served by only having one #1 at each position.
Amen. I am a believer of having both a small and big line up to utilize at any time to throw off the other team and make them alter what they want to do.

Reaction Score
Who knows? Maybe Coach Auriemma feels that recruiting has changed and that it is imperative to get in early with these recruits? Maybe he feels that he can move ONO to the 4? Maybe he has heard the same rumblings that I have heard that Boston is headed to ND? I don't think it is a sign that has heard definitively from Boston, one way or the other.
I saw ONO do some 4 this summer when they had Belibi at the 5 with her at the U17s. ONO has a good mid range shot.

Reaction Score
It appears he’s changing his recruiting approach with the times. If other elite programs are offering the elite recruits early and you’re not, that puts you at a disadvantage whether you realize / admit it or not.

Gone are the days when Geno got any recruit he wanted mearly by wanting. Some of the other top 10 programs have amenities, policy and culture that appeal to these recruits also. All’s fair in love and recruiting. You can’t afford to give quarter in the recruiting game, and expect to be successful.

I'll believe that when I see some multiple offers per position per class...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma's past MO used to be to not offer until "official" visits, the fact that he did so during an unofficial visit is earlier than most cases.
My comment was specific to Gusters not "most cases". Since the class of 2020 CANNOT start official visits until Tuesday after the National Championship game and Geno has already made offers to Van Lith, and Likely Bueckers in the 2020 class contracts your prior point that Geno was getting in "early" on Gusters.

Reaction Score
not sure what to make of that....with ONO and Boston you wouldn't think she's a priority with ONO alone she certainly is..
Does this mean maybe Geno doesn’t think Boston will come to UCONN and is putting his early sights on 2020? Or for the first time in many years Geno wants to have major depth in the center/ foward department and add major depth in the height advantage. U have seen programs like Baylor/ South Carolina and others in the past have major height and depth coming of the bench which can be matchup problems for smaller teams and also have the advantage of wearing teams down. UCONN’s Lack of depth in the center position and major inside precence has been the only thing that has been a issue for UCONN.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno's offer to Gusters might mean that he is unsure about Boston. If so, it's a smart move, because many of us worry when Geno often doesn't have a Plan B. I still think Boston is a likely UConn commit, but we don't know yet. In either case, I think offering Hannah is a smart move. She was willing to travel from Texas to Storrs on her own dime. That shows interest. In addition to posts, I think Geno is looking at Olivia Miles and Caroline Ducharme. This is prudent in case we don't get Van Lith and/or Buckers. Geno will never cast as wide a net as Jeff Walz, but a slightly wider net seems like a good idea.

Reaction Score
My comment was specific to Gusters not "most cases". Since the class of 2020 CANNOT start official visits until Tuesday after the National Championship game and Geno has already made offers to Van Lith, and Likely Bueckers in the 2020 class contracts your prior point that Geno was getting in "early" on Gusters.

Bueckers and Van Lith have also previously visited, while this was Gusters first time on campus to my knowledge. Coach Auriemma likes to get kids on campus to offer them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Van Lith have also previously visited, while this was Gusters first time on campus to my knowledge. Coach Auriemma likes to get kids on campus to offer them.
I think the key is a visit to campus, whether official or unofficial. I can think of only 2 players who were offered without visiting. One was Jackie Gemelos. The other was Tiffany Hayes.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Geno's offer to Gusters might mean that he is unsure about Boston. If so, it's a smart move, because many of us worry when Geno often doesn't have a Plan B.
Not sure the two recruitments are related. I doubt Gusters is anyone's "Plan B".

If Gusters informed the UConn staff that she wanted to come for an unofficial visit, they wouldn't turn her down as it costs them nothing. Most likely, this trip by Gusters has been planned many weeks/months ago (as most schedule airfare and hotel in advance).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll believe that when I see some multiple offers per position per class......

I understand your pessimism, and I believe it's justified. We all know the definition of insanity. No doubt Geno knows it too. As I said, the rules of engagement in women's collage basketball are in a constant state of flux. You MUST change and adjust to them or get left in its wake.

It's understood that no one ever gets ALL of the recruits they want each year. To outsiders, sometimes it appears that UConn does. Those of us on the inside know better. Geno/UConn has lost out on many highly coveted recruits that he wanted over the last few years. We know who they are.

There are some master recruiters out there pulling in 5 stars recruits with regularity (Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, Louisville, Tennessee, Stanford, Oregon, Maryland, and South Carolina), puling in many of the same recruits UConn is targeting. Recruits still commit to the coaches not the school. While facilities and curriculum do play a part in the recruit's ultimate decision, it's the coaches, current players (how they are received/welcomed/bond), team chemistry and closeness therein and how the recruit is told they will fit in to the program. Most want to come in and play immediately, while others are willing to accept a lesser role/sit for a year.

Yes, UConn continued their domination of WCBB in spite of those recruits going else where, but without top tier 5 star athletes coming in, and the transfer of recruits you did sign, but for whatever reason didn't work out, it becomes more difficult to maintain one's dominance.

Take note of the UConn talent that was lost to graduation in May. That loss closed the gap a little between the Huskies and the rest of the field. Who takes Kia's place as the designated "lock-down" player for Geno? Gabby did things that no one on this team can do, so we'll move on.

They lost an experienced 6-6 post presence. Geno has lost post players before and managed to keep the ship afloat. He'll make the necessary adjustments. We don't know yet how good the two freshmen will ultimately be, or who (if any) of the reserves are ready and can be counted on to play significant/meaningful minutes this year. I've commented in several prior posts this summer, that THIS team cannot afford the luxury of having any "cheerleaders". Those 3 departures left an immediate void that must be addressed now!

To your concern, we shall see over the next 3-4 classes (through 2022) if Geno's modified approach to recruiting pays off. Hopefully It does, and will start with Aliyah Boston and Haley Jones THIS year. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Please clarify what some believe to be Geno's "modified approach" to recruiting. Stop me if this sounds familiar: Almost exactly two years ago a 6'5" post player and HS Junior made her way from Texas to UCONN for an unofficial visit and was offered a scholarship. At the time of the visit UCONN was waiting to hear from the #1 recruit in the 2017 class.
The UCONN recruiting philosophy remains unchanged: selectively offer talented players that fit the UCONN system. Year group, predefined incoming positions, and duplications are secondary considerations. What is never a consideration for the UCONN staff are offers based on who might or might not come to UCONN=contingency offers, aka Plan B. When we say "modified" approach, let's make sure that is not wishful thinking or hoping that Geno has changed in a way that some here wish. BTW the UCONN recruiting approach is working pretty well-why are some so determined to modify or change it?

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'll believe that when I see some multiple offers per position per class......

Charlie, you can't be simultaneously calling for UConn to recruit more players and depth and then think that offering both Boston and Gusters is concerning.

My only question about this is what does it mean re: Cameron Brink. While not strictly a post player, Brink is still a 4/5.

Reaction Score
Charlie, you can't be simultaneously calling for UConn to recruit more players and depth and then think that offering both Boston and Gusters is concerning.

My only question about this is what does it mean re: Cameron Brink. While not strictly a post player, Brink is still a 4/5.

my concern was more that Gusters might have been offered because Boston could be going elsewhere..........I would be beyond thrilled if ONO, Boston and Gusters were all on the UConn roster..............with all of the injuries in the sport these days you can't have enough quality players..................I see that Shepard and Gilbert are both already injured for ND and the season hasn't even started yet.........

Reaction Score
All will play alot and with UConns conditioning they will be a scary bunch.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
my concern was more that Gusters might have been offered because Boston could be going elsewhere.....I would be beyond thrilled if ONO, Boston and Gusters were all on the UConn roster....with all of the injuries in the sport these days you can't have enough quality players

Well that's a better perspective. Gusters put UConn on her list a couple months ago which means UConn likely scouted her at least back in April during AAU season, and perhaps earlier. I don't think she's a contingency plan.

Reaction Score
Well that's a better perspective. Gusters put UConn on her list a couple months ago which means UConn likely scouted her at least back in April during AAU season, and perhaps earlier. I don't think she's a contingency plan.

we'll certainly have a better idea just how important a prospect she is in November................

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Chris Hansen over at Prospects nation dropped a free article a few days ago that might be of interest.
New Faces In 2020 Elite 60 | Prospects Nation.
One his new names is Lauren Ware of North Dakota a 6-foot-3 post. Has UCONN ever had a player from North Dakota? Another new name, that shouldn't be new to BYers is Leilani Kapinus of Wisconsin-this girl can play! Leilani was last seen here thanks to @Sluconn Husky video giving the business to Paige Bueckers. There is also a YouTube video out there of her giving the business to Olivia Miles. For those keeping track Leilani guarded #1 in the 2020 class and #3 in the 2021 class very effectively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom