2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

From that link you can get to what I'm assuming is the updated top 60 list. 4 of the top 42 from the State of Washington. I've gotta think that's an unprecedented amount of talent out here. Plus Brink from Oregon. Hailey Van Lith and Brink are #2 and #3 overall. That just doesn't happen out here in the NW.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
not sure what to make of that....with ONO and Boston you wouldn't think she's a priority with ONO alone she certainly is..
:cool:Right because UCONN has never had 3 quality post player on the roster at the same time before. :eek:

Reaction Score
Sure, why not? On second thought let's stretch that to 6. ONO, Boston, Gusters, Brink, DeBerry, & Hollingshead.

an excellent idea...........five can play at the same time..............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
three outstanding 6'4" post players?
How about Steff, Kiah & Stewie, all 1st round draft choices in the W. While it didn’t happen often, I distinctly remember several occasions during the 2013-14 season when Geno rolled all 3 onto the court together. During those stretches opposing teams struggled to secure a rebound at either end of the court or get a shot off within 15 feet of the basket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't be silly, I was thinking 2 shifts of 3 on the front line.
C: Boston, Gusters
PF: ONO, DeBerry
F: Brink, Hollingshead
Interesting, Geno picking up something from his good buddy Doug Bruno?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
not sure what to make of that....with ONO and Boston you wouldn't think she's a priority with ONO alone she certainly is..

Who knows? Maybe Coach Auriemma feels that recruiting has changed and that it is imperative to get in early with these recruits? Maybe he feels that he can move ONO to the 4? Maybe he has heard the same rumblings that I have heard that Boston is headed to ND? I don't think it is a sign that has heard definitively from Boston, one way or the other.

Reaction Score
I remember a Dolson, Stokes, and Stewart line up that could be lethal.....

Great point! Dolson and Boston are very similar type players. Gusters and Stokes are very similar, and ONO and Stewart are very similar in that I believe ONO could be used at the 4 like Stewart was.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who knows? Maybe Coach Auriemma feels that recruiting has changed and that it is imperative to get in early with these recruits? Maybe he feels that he can move ONO to the 4? Maybe he has heard the same rumblings that I have heard that Boston is headed to ND? I don't think it is a sign that has heard definitively from Boston, one way or the other.
Gusters is a HS Junior class of 2020. UCONN has confirmed offers to Van Lith definitely and Bueckers likely both in the same class. By those standards the UCONN offer to Gusters is late.

Reaction Score
Gusters is a HS Junior class of 2020. UCONN has confirmed offers to Van Lith definitely and Bueckers likely both in the same class. By those standards the UCONN offer to Gusters is late.

Coach Auriemma's past MO used to be to not offer until "official" visits, the fact that he did so during an unofficial visit is earlier than most cases.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma's past MO used to be to not offer until "official" visits, the fact that he did so during an unofficial visit is earlier than most cases.
I thought Geno normally did not offer until a recruit at least made an unofficial visit to Storrs. Wasn't that the case with Lexi Gordon and Christyn Williams?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I thought Geno normally did not offer until a recruit at least made an unofficial visit to Storrs. Wasn't that the case with Lexi Gordon and Christyn Williams?

Yes, many that I can recall got an offer after an unofficial. Fudd, Bueckers, and Van Lith all did last year.

Reaction Score
I remember a Dolson, Stokes, and Stewart line up that could be lethal.....
Perfect reply. Geno has always been the expert at utilizing talent, not matter what position. Based on the competition, not unusual to see him go big, small, defense oriented, etc. Not sure I understand posts that say UConn (or any team) is well served by only having one #1 at each position.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It appears he’s changing his recruiting approach with the times. If other elite programs are offering the elite recruits early and you’re not, that puts you at a disadvantage whether you realize / admit it or not.

Gone are the days when Geno got any recruit he wanted mearly by wanting. Some of the other top 10 programs have amenities, policy and culture that appeal to these recruits also. All’s fair in love and recruiting. You can’t afford to give quarter in the recruiting game, and expect to be successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom