2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 165 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
So opinions vary from UConn getting all 5 of the U-17 starters to none of them....got the bases fairly well covered there.

let's start in your neck of the woods...........what are the odds of Van Lith and Brink leaving the Northwest or even the West Coast?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
let's start in your neck of the woods......what are the odds of Van Lith and Brink leaving the Northwest or even the West Coast?

Keep in mind I'm not an insider and have no real insight whatsoever. However it seems like historically elite players pretty much always leave the NW for college. Some of those have gone to Stanford so they've at least stayed on the West Coast. I'd like to see the trend reversed but I'm not feeling bold enough to predict either Van Lith or Brink stays close to home. Of course Oregon St. and Oregon are a lot stronger programs than they used to be so that could be a draw. Washington is still very much in rebuilding mode.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So opinions vary from UConn getting all 5 of the U-17 starters to none of them....got the bases fairly well covered there.
I'm optimistic. It's harder to say about Bueckers and Fudd, because they are 1-2 years younger. In terms of 2019, we are looking at Boston, Jones, Horston, Amihere, and Griffin. I like our chances of getting 3 or more of them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A home visit would need to be in the VI's, where her parents live. She lives with an aunt.

I'd be willing to give long odds against UConn signing none of the 5. And Horston is one of that group so I don't understand "hello Jordan Horston". There are many valid reasons for an elite player choosing a school other than UConn but I can't remember the last 2-3 year recruiting period when UConn got shut out of any elite level players. Most fans would say the opposite. And "pleading"? Do you know for a fact that others aren't being considered?

Alydar: Hmm, thanks for the Virgin Island information, but I am aware of that. But I'm not certain that the parent has to technically be part of a "home" visit based on what I saw referred to as the "contact" period. This is what I found:

"During a contact period a college coach may have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, watch student-athletes compete and visit their high schools, and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents."

Note the "or." So one could visit Ms. Boston in Worcester and maybe her parents could join via conference call. Or a coach could call them at another time?

Lastly -- and I have no idea about this -- but Aliyah has been with her aunt for awhile, right? Does she have legal guardian rights? Just wondering.

In any case, given that she now has a final four and assume she'll be taking some official visits, I guess we'll hear soon enough about visits to/from/elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keep in mind I'm not an insider and have no real insight whatsoever. However it seems like historically elite players pretty much always leave the NW for college. Some of those have gone to Stanford so they've at least stayed on the West Coast. I'd like to see the trend reversed but I'm not feeling bold enough to predict either Van Lith or Brink stays close to home. Of course Oregon St. and Oregon are a lot stronger programs than they used to be so that could be a draw. Washington is still very much in rebuilding mode.

seems like Oregon, Oregon State and Stanford are all on the rise, all three with excellent coaching and all geographically desirable if that is of importance to the recruit.............might as well add UCLA because it's such a great place to go to school even though the team needs to reload...........I'll give them a 25%-35% chance of grabbing at least one of the big two recruits..........

Reaction Score
Alydar: Hmm, thanks for the Virgin Island information, but I am aware of that. But I'm not certain that the parent has to technicall be part of a "home" visit. I went to the NCAA recruiting site and the only references I found referred to the "contact" period. This is what I found:

"During a contact period a college coach may have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, watch student-athletes compete and visit their high schools, and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents."

Note the "or." So one could visit Ms. Boston in Worcester and maybe her parents could join via conference call. Or a coach could call them at another time?

Lastly -- and I have no idea about this -- but Aliyah has been with her aunt for awhile, right? Does she have legal guardian rights?
Just wondering.

hmmmmm................the Virgin Islands you say?...............I don't know Dillon..............something tells me the coaches and recruiters from each school may decide that they need to see the parents face to face in this particular instance..............:rolleyes:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
hmmmmm......the Virgin Islands you say?.....I don't know Dillon....something tells me the coaches and recruiters from each school may decide that they need to see the parents face to face in this particular instance....:rolleyes:

Could be. ND post coach, Carol Owens, looks like she's getting practice for any such trip in the Adriatic with the 2018-19 members of the Irish. That's her in with the orange preserver in the middle of a very happy gang.
Virgin Islands could be next!

Reaction Score
Could be. ND post coach, Carol Owens, looks like she's getting practice for any such trip in the Adriatic with the 2018-19 members of the Irish. That's her in with the orange preserver in the middle of a very happy gang.
Virgin Islands could be next!

too bad UConn couldn't do a trip this summer..............I guess with the two freshmen in Mexico and KLS and Coombs out of action there weren't enough active players to even field a competitive team...........:(

Reaction Score
hmmmmm......the Virgin Islands you say?.....I don't know Dillon....something tells me the coaches and recruiters from each school may decide that they need to see the parents face to face in this particular instance....:rolleyes:
Geno and the whole coaching staff will be in St. Thomas over Thanksgiving. Is that within the legal period for home visits?

Reaction Score
Alydar: Hmm, thanks for the Virgin Island information, but I am aware of that. But I'm not certain that the parent has to technically be part of a "home" visit based on what I saw referred to as the "contact" period. This is what I found:

Lastly -- and I have no idea about this -- but Aliyah has been with her aunt for awhile, right? Does she have legal guardian rights? Just wondering.

In any case, given that she now has a final four and assume she'll be taking some official visits, I guess we'll hear soon enough about visits to/from/elsewhere.

Thanks for all the info about those visits. I was thinking more about Geno and his desire to know the parents. Being in an enviable position recruiting-wise he has stated on more than one occasion that over-involved parents as far as basketball is something he avoids. But since it appears that he has offered Boston I would think that isn't an issue.

My guess is that she will take her official the weekend of first night along with some of the other targets.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the info about those visits. I was thinking more about Geno and his desire to know the parents. Being in an enviable position recruiting-wise he has stated on more than one occasion that over-involved parents as far as basketball is something he avoids. But since it appears that he has offered Boston I would think that isn't an issue.

My guess is that she will take her official the weekend of first night along with some of the other targets.

As I posted earlier Aliyah won't be at First Night as she'll be in Argentina October 6-18 playing in the Youth Olympic games. She'll visit Storrs after returning from Argentina.

I raised the issue of home visits knowing of course that Aliyah's parents live in the Virgin Islands. Coaches could have visited her at her aunt's home or at Worcester Academy. I asked the question and the question about unofficial visits because at least 2 of her final 4 schools haven't had the opportunity to spend time with her other than by phone. Proximity has allowed the UConn staff to estalish a nice relationship with Aliyah. Hopefully it pays off.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Those who suggest none are having their membership revoked before sundown.
Not suggesting none. Showing concern there will be none. So my membership and Charliebball's membership are not in jeopardy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
too bad UConn couldn't do a trip this summer....I guess with the two freshmen in Mexico and KLS and Coombs out of action there weren't enough active players to even field a competitive team......:(
They just did one last year, so I don't think they are eligible for a couple years. I think it's something like once every 4 years??

Dillon77

Reaction Score
too bad UConn couldn't do a trip this summer....I guess with the two freshmen in Mexico and KLS and Coombs out of action there weren't enough active players to even field a competitive team......:(

They just did one last year, so I don't think they are eligible for a couple years. I think it's something like once every 4 years??

ND was actually supposed to do this trip last summer, but postponed it because transfers and injuries had depleted the squad. That may be one reason why the recently graduated Kat Westbeld is part of this trip....to take the one meant for last year.

Reaction Score
ND was actually supposed to do this trip last summer, but postponed it because transfers and injuries had depleted the squad. That may be one reason why the recently graduated Kat Westbeld is part of this trip....to take the one meant for last year.

yes I remember that...............how about a little irony at work.................last year UConn was the odds on favorite with a great cast of returning and incoming players while ND had an already depleted bench that only got shorter............this year it's ND that's the clear favorite with very strong returning and incoming classes.............I'm hoping that a bit of that short bench, under the radar magic comes UConn's way..........

Reaction Score

oh that's right............but was it leaving the country or travel anywhere? I know that in other sports namely baseball and softball, teams travel south or west to get their work in........

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm going with we get 2.5. (not sure how that .5 will work though :confused:)
LOL. I'm going with a 3.5 of Boston, Jones and Hailey Van Lith. Amihere will sneak in as a .5 outlier. I however want 5.5 including Horston and Bueckers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LOL. I'm going with a 3.5 of Boston, Jones and Hailey Van Lith. Amihere will sneak in as a .5 outlier. I however want 5.5 including Horston and Bueckers.

Jordy, I'm like you...................I'm greedy, I want them all!!!! :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jordy, I'm like you....I'm greedy, I want them all!!!! :D
Every little bit counts.

Greedy is wanting them all. Sated is when you have it all. Gluttonous is wanting more.

Next year I want more.

Now, is that wrong?

Reaction Score
I'd love if a bunch of them picked UConn but the term "package deal" that was in that post brings up visions of UNC. I just hope that each of those players makes a careful decision based on what is important to them as individuals and not based on being part of a group of friends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom