2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 162 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I do think Trakh did a fine job at NMSU. I don't remember his first stint at USC being particularly memorable (just looked it up; 52-38 in conference and 90-64 overall in 5 years w/ 2 NCAA Tourney appearances that were both 2 and out; never finished higher than 4th in conference).

I think the city of LA pretty much sells itself. USC and UCLA both tend to recruit fairly well in just about every sport, regardless of the coach or the on the field/court product. After many many years of following Pac 10/12 sports, I think both of the LA schools generally underachieve relative to their level of recruiting. There of course have been exceptions.

So I guess I pretty much answered myself about why so many recruits are eyeing USC. Maybe not so much to do w/ Trakh but just the school/location itself.

I feel like this observation and discussion is, indeed, a self-circular conversation. ;)

Remember, you brought up up that USC was being mentioned in several of recent prospects' final lists. Now, if the city has perpetually sold itself, that should've been happening all along and, henceforth, you shouldn't have had to make the initial point, right?

Perhaps the real levels to judge whether any LA-based coach is making a difference:
- will he/she seal the deal on the recruit. After all, it's one thing to make a finalist list; another to get a letter of intent signed.
- and, will he/she do something with those recruits?

So, your points are well made and taken in that vein, but I think USC could possibly be given some credit here, along with the Santa Monica Pier, La Brea tar pits, etc.

BTW, most Notre Dame fans always have an idea of what USC is doing, part of the football DNA rubs over into other sports. :D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon and Orangutan what happened to here with Ms Gusters?....I thought there was an NCAA rule that said every player that listed UConn as a potential landing spot had to list ND too..:rolleyes:

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.... :rolleyes:

There was some reportage of ND coaches heading to Texas to see Ms. Gusters and ND got a mention in the ESPNw article, but "poof." (And just when I put her in my monthly report for the Bench :confused: )

Well, maybe one party or the other had no wish to keep the interest "mutual," as MM would say. Best of luck to Ms. Gusters and the dozen suitors. (Still love her name!)

I'd think that the emphasis at that spot is still on Ms. Marshall. from Christ the King H.S.

Reaction Score
OSU just want to collect post players? I thought they had a lot on the team in terms of depth. However, when I look at recruits list I see them on all of the post player's 6'4 or taller final list. Must love some centers there.
Oregon State has 1 senior post player (6'8" Grymeck at the 5), 1 sophomore forward (6'3" Corosdale at the stretch 4), and 2 incoming freshmen (6'7" Morris at the 5 and 6'9" Aquino at the "stretch" 5). They have 1 verbal commitment for 2019 (6'3" Taylor Jones at the "finess" 5). I would not call that as having an overabundance of depth at the 4 and 5 positions. I am only aware of Kennedy Brown (6'5" at the 4 or 5 ) listing OSU as a finalist for 2019 and now Daniels listing OSU as a contender for 2020. Seems like nothing out of the ordinary to me, except for the gals' average height. Rueck has said that he likes to recruit tall players.

I would imagine that Rueck will/would use some of these young women at the 4 position and others at the 5 when in a game at the same time, and he may utilize a double post lineup as well. Brown has said she does not want to play only as a 5 and can step outside to hit the 3 as well as guard shorter players on the perimeter. Aquino can step out and hit the 3 point shot too.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
OSU just want to collect post players? I thought they had a lot on the team in terms of depth. However, when I look at recruits list I see them on all of the post player's 6'4 or taller final list. Must love some centers there.

I guess you can never have too many? After watching Hamblin and Gulich develop from not even on the radar prospects to WNBA draft picks, it shouldn't be surprising that post players are taking a look at that school from Corvallis.

In terms of depth, they have Grymek (the only Sr.), Aquino, Morris and Corosdale w/ Washington and Thropay maybe fighting for garbage minutes. Add in Taylor Jones the following year. It appears Kennedy Brown still has some interest in OSU and now Daniels. Not sure how many other post players they are in on.

edited: dang it, previous post pretty much covered everything I said, I need to look harder before I respond

edited again--they're also pretty set as far as guards/wings. McWilliams is the only Sr. this upcoming season. That would leave them the following year w/ Pivec, Tudor, Slocum, Goodman and Simmons for 3 positions plus any other incoming recruits they might get. The only thing they don't have is a prototype big, athletic small forward type. As far as I know they've never had that type of player, at least not during Rueck's tenure. McWilliams and Tudor have decent size but aren't overly athletic and not known for their slashing ability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oregon State is deep at the guard position for now, but has room for a combo guard (or a 4/5 like Brown) in 2019. Playing time among guards will be at a premium this upcoming season and next too. However they WILL need a point guard in 2020, so I am sure Rueck and company are pursuing Van Lith and others for that position. IF Brown commits to OSU for 2019 along with the already committed Jones, talk among OSU faithful is that another 4 or 5 player in 2020 seems highly unlikely, giving the Beavers even less chance for Brink (or Daniels, et al.).

nwhoopfan, OSU has lacked a slashing, to the rim player at any position in my recent memory!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
nwhoopfan, OSU has lacked a slashing, to the rim player at any position in my recent memory!

Weisner was pretty good getting to the rim, wasn't in the too far distant pass. She played much bigger than her wispy 5-10 or 5-11 size would have suggested. Seems like she was usually guarding other teams' 3 as part of a 3 guard lineup and was usually giving up height and weight in her matchups.

Reaction Score
Weisner was pretty good getting to the rim, wasn't in the too far distant pass. She played much bigger than her wispy 5-10 or 5-11 size would have suggested. Seems like she was usually guarding other teams' 3 as part of a 3 guard lineup and was usually giving up height and weight in her matchups.
Yeah, I considered her...she would be the closest OSU has had to meeting that description. She certainly could create some space going to or being near the bucket and hit tough shots.

Reaction Score
From Benny’s house (Oregon St forum) Dalayah Daniels (16th in 2020 hoopgirlz) states in ESPN article her favorite 5 at the moment Oregon St, Stanford, UConn and Texas and Oregon.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From Benny’s house (Oregon St forum) Dalayah Daniels (16th in 2020 hoopgirlz) states in ESPN article her favorite 5 at the moment Oregon St, Stanford, UConn and Texas and Oregon.

Daniels is rated 14th by Prospects Nation.

Here is an anecdote from Prospects Nation's Chris Hansen:

Matched up against McDonald’s All-American Amira Collins, who’s headed to Tennessee, and college-bound posts Valencia Myers (Florida State), Kari Niblack (West Virginia) and Uchenna Nwoke (Duke) at tournaments in Atlanta, Daniels held her own.

“Amira, who’s bigger and a little bit stronger, was going at Lay-Lay’s throat,” said Chris Hansen, manager of ProspectsNation.com. “Amira was taking some shots and some cheap shots and (Daniels) kind of smiled, like ‘I know what’s going on here and I’m not going to let it get to me.’ You don’t handle yourself that way and then sprint down on the other end to make a play if you don’t love what you’re doing.

“I can see her evolution. Her finding the physicality and the confidence has put her status in the stratosphere on the recruiting level. Everybody in the Pac-12 knows who she is. There’s not a Power-5 conference that doesn’t have multiple schools that aren’t aware of who she is and making plans to see her play. And Lay-Lay is embracing it.”

Garfield sophomore Dalayah Daniels turning heads in Metro League, across the nation

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A bunch of Dalayah Daniels highlights in this montage from last year. Several Cameron Brink ones too. Starting at 1:20.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
An entire compilation of Daniels highlights from the same Nike tourney in the video above. From April of 2017.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think having the Olympic coach as your HC is part of the appeal. It was a benefit for Geno, and it should be for Dawn as well.
Until you mentioned Dawn, I, along with many of the other 36 million people in California (all of whom read your posts, Dude), were thinking Trojans, not Gamecocks. This is going to be a difficult adjustment.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How does Gusters compare to another post who has garnered UConn attention, Aliyah Boston?

Gusters seems like more a physical specimen while DeBerry might have more of a perimeter game. I'm certainly intrigued by both. Need to watch them in game situations.

Reaction Score
Gusters seems like more a physical specimen while DeBerry might have more of a perimeter game. I'm certainly intrigued by both. Need to watch them in game situations.

wake up Sluconn he said Boston!!!!!!!!.......:D I haven't seen enough of Gusters to know the differences.........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
wake up Sluconn he said Boston!!!!!!!!..:D I haven't seen enough of Gusters to know the differences....

I'll have you know I've been awake since yesterday and that's the defense I'm using.

Without seeing her in games it's hard to compare, but Gusters is probably more in the Boston mold.

Reaction Score
I'll have you know I've been awake since yesterday and that's the defense I'm using.

Without seeing her in games it's hard to compare, but Gusters is probably more in the Boston mold.

well OK then........ GO TO SLEEP SLUCONN!!!!.........:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Until you mentioned Dawn, I, along with many of the other 36 million people in California (all of whom read your posts, Dude), were thinking Trojans, not Gamecocks. This is going to be a difficult adjustment.
When it comes to the University of Southern California, I don’t even think of basketball...football maybe...

Reaction Score
Next thing you'll be telling me is that MSU stands for Mississippi State!

until the other programs with the same initials consistently reach top twenty status in WBB, USC is South Carolina and MSU is Mississippi State...........

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
until the other programs with the same initials consistently reach top twenty status in WBB, USC is South Carolina and MSU is Mississippi State......
Even during football season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom