2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 137 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
I'll start by saying that I read a lot of "sour grapes" in many of the posts about SB since she verballed. I haven't seen her live and I don't put much stock in "highlight videos". My impressions of her came watching a few of the U16 games last summer. It was plain that she entered those games as the feature player on the team. Players looked to get her the ball and when she got it she looked to shoot. Everything about her offense was impressive with the exception of her shooting accuracy. At that point in time she was reported to be a strong UConn lean on this board. No one here seemed concerned with her mediocre shooting. Myself? I was too busy watching Bueckers and Fudd, who didn't start but both of whom looked to be very efficient scorers. That has continued to be my opinion.

SB didn't become the No 1 recruit in her class because she has flaws. She is tall, moves well and generally has all the skills and polish that point towards a successful college career. Other than her shooting (and that's a big other) she reminds me of KLS as a high schooler. Tall but more comfortable away from the physical play in the block. Looks like she will thrive in Notre Dame's "offense first" system.

And to those who assume that Bueckers and Fudd will follow their friend I offer the example of KLS and her sisters. SB will be a junior when Bueckers is a freshman and a senior when Fudd enters college. Friendships today are often long-distance. When I was at UConn a phone call to South Bend cost about $2.00 a minute. Today a video chat is free.

definitely some sour grapes but if the story is to believed, Geno saw some deficiencies that prompted the pulling of the offer thus one could say that her play simply wasn't good enough for UConn..........in fact you could argue that Geno was actually doing SB a huge favor because if he didn't pull the offer and benched her it wouldn't have been fair to her...........also one must assume that Geno knew by pulling the offer it could have an impact on the other recruits that are close with SB but did it any way...........personally I would have taken SB if for no other reason then that it would attract the other two future recruits but that's me..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blue Star's Mark Lewis on last weekend's Across Border Global Games. Included is 2022 T'yana Todd who has UConn interest.

T’yana Todd – 2022 – 5-10 – Guard – Ontario– Athletic…Solid build at guard…Has some length already…Individual skills are sharp…Good first step…Low release on shot at this point

Jordan Horstan – 2019 – 6-2 – Combo – Ohio– Impressive Spring continues for her…Attacking more and more…Consistency is evolving…Using both her size and athleticism to exploit match-ups…Beginning to look for her own more…Big plus…Involves teammates in transition and half…Physical tools are there to be an even more elite defender

Merissah Russell – 2020 – 6-1 – Guard – Ontario– Size and solid build in the backcourt…Uses both strength and athleticism to attack…Mixes up both speed and direction…Hesitation gets defenders out of their stance…Can handle contact and finish at the rim but the floater is there as well…Pull up is fluid…Experience shows in her game…A proven commodity…Can play with and against any level

Across Border Global Games - Bluestar Media

Reaction Score
What about her play does not impress you? I'm asking because I have not seen her play except on mix tapes. Also, you are not the only one unimpressed by her overall game. Further, are there any 2019 front court players that you have seen who are Uconn type of players?
To me, its the shot inefficiency coming from a poor shot selection. I have also seen her sort of disappear or allow herself to be taken out of the mix.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll start by saying that I read a lot of "sour grapes" in many of the posts about SB since she verballed. I haven't seen her live and I don't put much stock in "highlight videos". My impressions of her came watching a few of the U16 games last summer. It was plain that she entered those games as the feature player on the team. Players looked to get her the ball and when she got it she looked to shoot. Everything about her offense was impressive with the exception of her shooting accuracy. At that point in time she was reported to be a strong UConn lean on this board. No one here seemed concerned with her mediocre shooting. Myself? I was too busy watching Bueckers and Fudd, who didn't start but both of whom looked to be very efficient scorers. That has continued to be my opinion. SB didn't become the No 1 recruit in her class because she has flaws. She is tall, moves well and generally has all the skills and polish that point towards a successful college career. Other than her shooting (and that's a big other) she reminds me of KLS as a high schooler. Tall but more comfortable away from the physical play in the block. Looks like she will thrive in Notre Dame's "offense first" system. And to those who assume that Bueckers and Fudd will follow their friend I offer the example of KLS and her sisters. SB will be a junior when Bueckers is a freshman and a senior when Fudd enters college. Friendships today are often long-distance. When I was at UConn a phone call to South Bend cost about $2.00 a minute. Today a video chat is free.
I mostly agree with your sour grapes comment and have stated so. However, the comment that "No one here seemed concerned with her mediocre shooting" is not an accurate recollection.
Examples of comments regarding her shooting are contained in this thread.
USA U16 National Team Game Info.
In addition to the sour grapes Samantha is also suffering from the irrational scrutiny of being the number 1 player in the class and BTW similar concerns were voiced about Megan Walker shooting at USA basket during the prior summer.
u18 usa VS vENEZULA 1:30 Pm

Reaction Score
Personally I've always thought it was in the pre-shot work. Everyone has their spots and you've got to do the work to get your spot so you can take your high percentage shot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
images

Reaction Score
Good post. Only nit: SB (Class of 2019) is only a year older than Bueckers (Class of 2020). Video chat and a walk among the best girls' dorms at ND are still free. ;)
(I'll be out there this weekend for my youngest daughter's graduation so I'll triple check!)

I stand corrected about the classes but by free I meant that most college students have internet and even for a monthly fee the phone calls and chatting is included. When I was at UConn in the early 70's I guy on my dorm floor used to run up phone bills of $100/mo talking to his girlfriend long distance, and that was when you could buy a case of Boh for $3.00. Going to different schools was a relationship killer. Some posters seem to think that if you still have to go to school with your friends to stay close but social media has changed all that. Geno has said that it's hard to develop animosity between teams today because the players all know each other and stay in touch on-line. Bueckers and Fudd may or may not attend ND but their desire to remain close to SB won't (IMO) be much of a factor, if at all.

Reaction Score
definitely some sour grapes but if the story is to believed, Geno saw some deficiencies that prompted the pulling of the offer thus one could say that her play simply wasn't good enough for UConn.....in fact you could argue that Geno was actually doing SB a huge favor because if he didn't pull the offer and benched her it wouldn't have been fair to her......also one must assume that Geno knew by pulling the offer it could have an impact on the other recruits that are close with SB but did it any way......personally I would have taken SB if for no other reason then that it would attract the other two future recruits but that's me.....

What is the source of the story? Unnamed informed sources? Most likely at least third hand hearsay at best or maybe just based on speculation. I expressed the speculation somewhere that a parent who posts on a message board a couple of weeks before his daughter commits is not the type of parent to whose daughter Geno makes offers but I called it high octane inference based on speculation. The history of the last 10 years is evidence that many elite level players who get UConn offers choose to go elsewhere. It just seems that some can't accept that. Then there are some who, because UConn didn't win the NC for 2 years, are announcing the end of the line for the UConn dynasty. Over on the Irish board there are some who think that Brunelle, Bueckers and Fudd are inseparable. Again, inferences based on assumptions. Speculation is the heart and soul of wcbb off-season boards but some are having a cow as a result.

Reaction Score
You know, for this being the UConn recruiting thread, y'all are spending a lot of time talking about a Notre Dame commit.
f56bffec1b25f297779082ccbf0883ff.jpg

She has a long way to go to match the posts about Wilson.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What is the source of the story? Unnamed informed sources? Most likely at least third hand hearsay at best or maybe just based on speculation. I expressed the speculation somewhere that a parent who posts on a message board a couple of weeks before his daughter commits is not the type of parent to whose daughter Geno makes offers but I called it high octane inference based on speculation. The history of the last 10 years is evidence that many elite level players who get UConn offers choose to go elsewhere. It just seems that some can't accept that. Then there are some who, because UConn didn't win the NC for 2 years, are announcing the end of the line for the UConn dynasty. Over on the Irish board there are some who think that Brunelle, Bueckers and Fudd are inseparable. Again, inferences based on assumptions. Speculation is the heart and soul of wcbb off-season boards but some are having a cow as a result.
Bingo. You won't hear the staff talk about it, but in the past, Geno has passed on players who had overly involved parents. Geno recruits the family almost as much as he recruits the player, and a parent who will be calling him and/or the staff way too often once a kid gets on campus is not a situation he wants to deal with.

Levar Ball is a perfect example of a parent he would not want to deal with. Delino Deshields is a bullet I'm sure he was happy to dodge (publicly called out Holly Warlick for not playing DD enough). Not sure how involved Omar Calhoun Sr. was with his daughter, but his son played for Ollie, and that whole experience would not have flown with Geno.

Of course it's all speculation. Did the UCONN staff change their minds about Brunelle after the initial offer? Were her parent(s) overly zealous in their interactions during her recruitment? Was it something else? Her father's (?) last post said he would have loved to have seen her at UCONN. He also noted that the coaches stopped recruiting her. It's possible that close to the end, Brunelle still wanted to come to UCONN, but we will never know for sure unless the family tells us directly, which is highly unlikely.

Reaction Score

I'm just repeating the story as I've read it here..........I have no idea if it's 100% fact or 100% fiction.............BTW when was it determined that the mystery poster was SB's father? Does anybody know that for certain or is that just another part of the yarn? I view the whole saga like a mystery novel.........a very thin paperback..........

Reaction Score
You know, for this being the UConn recruiting thread, y'all are spending a lot of time talking about a Notre Dame commit.
f56bffec1b25f297779082ccbf0883ff.jpg

I'm going to remind you of that the next time UConn lands a recruit that ND wanted.............I bet you boys and girls will be posting about it ad infinitum

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
To me, its the shot inefficiency coming from a poor shot selection. I have also seen her sort of disappear or allow herself to be taken out of the mix.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
According to a tweet by @Hgusters with a link to ESPN.com there is an article about Hannah Gusters the number 1 post from Duncanville UCONN has shown interest.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to a tweet by @Hgusters with a link to ESPN.com there is an article about Hannah Gusters the number 1 post from Duncanville UCONN has shown interest.

Good get!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Was just about to post that. Beaten again...

Gusters is very highly regarded and is another of the 35 invitees to the U17 trials that begin in less than two weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom