2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 132 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Future Stars point guard Paige Bueckers from Hopkins (Minnetonka, Minn.) was the crowd favorite. She had so many no-look and behind-the-back passes, that when she went down on a break and started to wrap the ball behind her back, the defender reacted and Bueckers brought it back around for a nearly uncontested layup.

“I tried to put a show on for the crowd — that’s why they were here, to see a bunch of great players coming to play together,” Bueckers said. “We wanted to win, that was the first goal, but the second goal was to put on a show for the crowd.”

Only a sophomore, Buecker was her state’s player of the year. One reason she came to the game is she and Future Stars teammate Azzi Fudd of St. John’s are friends from playing for the USA Basketball U16 team last summer.

“I just want to say thanks for (St. John’s coaches) Jonathan Scribner and Tim Fudd for inviting me out here,” Bueckers said. “This is the first all-star game I’ve been a part of and it was really fun. Obviously, Azzi is one of my closest friends so staying at her house was a lot of fun. I tried to warn the other players that sometimes my passes are out of the blue. The Hopkins players are used to that.”

Reese has dominant effort to lead Future Stars in Capital Classic girls game

Reese and Brown-Turner has quickly became two of my favorites in the past year. Both are spectacular! I know SC has offered Reese but I’m not sure about Brown-Turner.

Reaction Score
Leilani Correa to West Virginia.

Wow............Taylor, Miller Correa..................guards judged not good enough for UConn...............as far as we know Horston is the last possible guard standing and UConn interest is unclear................Amihere a total mystery................Boston and Jones uncertain..................hmmm...............when was the last time UConn had no recruits in a year?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wow..Taylor, Miller Correa...guards judged not good enough for UConn.....as far as we know Horston is the last possible guard standing and UConn interest is unclear......Amihere a total mystery......Boston and Jones uncertain...hmmm.....when was the last time UConn had no recruits in a year?

Players still have a year to decide. UConn likely has something up its sleeve. The Magbegor chase came out of nowhere and she'd likely be a Husky if not for Lauren Jackson. I'm not going to panic unless Jones and Boston verbal elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Players still have a year to decide. UConn likely has something up its sleeve. The Magbegor chase came out of nowhere and she'd likely be a Husky if not for Lauren Jackson. I'm not going to panic unless Jones and Boston verbal elsewhere.

there's not another UConn quality guard out there in the 2019 class...........in 2020 Bueckers is questionable, Van Lith is a possibility but will she really leave the northwest?...........Clark is ND's to lose.................is Allison Campbell good enough? ..........I know that the two NJ girls and Taylor were hoping for UConn offers but none ever came........I truly hope that Geno and Co have already sealed some deals with Jones and Boston..........if not they are really playing with fire.........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Soccer/basketball combos:

Sue Bird and Bria Hartley (I believe Bria played LAX as well).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow..Taylor, Miller Correa...guards judged not good enough for UConn.....as far as we know Horston is the last possible guard standing and UConn interest is unclear......Amihere a total mystery......Boston and Jones uncertain...hmmm.....when was the last time UConn had no recruits in a year?
Relax! It’s still early.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a reminder. Late last September, after Charli Collier decommitted, UConn had no recruits, there was fear that CW was headed anywhere but Storrs and ONO appeared to be a remote possibility at best.

Mark my word. I absolutely expect Geno to lock up a talented 3-player class next year. There may not be a guard in the bunch, but I expect it to include a 3, 4 & 5 with some serious skills.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder. Late last September, after Charli Collier decommitted, UConn had no recruits, there was fear that CW was headed anywhere but Storrs and ONO appeared to be a remote possibility at best.

Mark my word. I absolutely expect Geno to lock up a talented 3-player class next year. There may not be a guard in the bunch, but I expect it to include a 3, 4 & 5 with some serious skills.

from your lips to God's ears my friend...........;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Those are some serious expectations.

Reaction Score
there's not another UConn quality guard out there in the 2019 class......in 2020 Bueckers is questionable, Van Lith is a possibility but will she really leave the northwest?......Clark is ND's to lose.......is Allison Campbell good enough? .....I know that the two NJ girls and Taylor were hoping for UConn offers but none ever came...I truly hope that Geno and Co have already sealed some deals with Jones and Boston.....if not they are really playing with fire....
Geno will come through. He usually finds a way to land a couple of very good players (even though there have been a few off years here and there)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

there's not another UConn quality guard out there in the 2019 class......in 2020 Bueckers is questionable, Van Lith is a possibility but will she really leave the northwest?......Clark is ND's to lose.......is Allison Campbell good enough? .....I know that the two NJ girls and Taylor were hoping for UConn offers but none ever came...I truly hope that Geno and Co have already sealed some deals with Jones and Boston.....if not they are really playing with fire....

I'm starting to worry about you again! Are you going to this dark place every time a kid decides to not attend UCONN? UCONN "playing with fire"-really?
For starters stop making stuff up! You have no idea if Taylor, Miller & Correa were judged not good enough for UCONN. Let's stick to the facts: Lelani chose West Virginia. Miller chose Md. Taylor chose Texas. You sound like ya boy Kenny about a UCONN having a bias this time against NJ kids. You have no idea where Clark stands with UCONN or ND. As much as you would like it, UCONN is not going to go to the Louisville model and offer every kid with a pulse. Plenty of players available at all positions in both 2019 & 2020. UCONN will get the right players.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to worry about you again! Are you going to this dark place every time a kid decides to not attend UCONN? UCONN "playing with fire"-really?
For starters stop making stuff up! You have no idea if Taylor, Miller & Correa were judged not good enough for UCONN. Let's stick to the facts: Lelani chose West Virginia. Miller chose Md. Taylor chose Texas. You sound like ya boy Kenny about a UCONN having a bias this time against NJ kids. You have no idea where Clark stands with UCONN or ND. As much as you would like it, UCONN is not going to go to the Louisville model and offer every kid with a pulse. Plenty of players available at all positions in both 2019 & 2020. UCONN will get the right players.
Well said.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Good points on all players. I can understand degrees of trepidation in regards to this class and followers of programs (err, UConn and ND) that aim high and keep their cards relatively close to the vest. (Of course in this day of ubiquitous devices that take pictures and transmit pronto, it's a tad difficult to not show on-site presence Luckily, that does not seem to have discerned brain waves....yet :rolleyes:)

Looking at 2019, three names are apparently big targets for UConn (and ND for that matter). Here they are, plus a comment or two:
- Haley Jones. Wing. Small Forward. Uber talented. I'd think the major question is: will Haley leave the left coast? The Bay Area, even?
- Aliyah Boston, Post. Apparently, the focus of UConn's attention over another Nat'l. Team member. However, what's with that Finalist List of hers? Who else is on it? Apparently, what's his name (that would be Jeff Walz here) is (omni)present, as usual. And, yes, the Irish are interested.
- Laeticia Amihere. Whew, if Boston is playing it close, Ms. Amihere has employed Maxwell's Smart "Cone of Silence." Still has a double-digit list of potential schools and apparently has not left south Ontario yet for campus visits. How is the ACL/MCL recovery going?

Some posters worry about putting all the eggs in one basket but I think programs like UConn, ND, Stanford are so looking for certain kinds of players/persons, that this is the process. Aim high, stay high. It allows you to attain the success you're after because you've got the right people doing it. And since the Huskies and Irish play so few people (through choice or circumstance), it's even more imperative.

None of these schools are short-sighted. In 2019, I'm sure there are some plan B's, as Coco graciously listed a few for the Huskies last week. ND's got a few, too: Fran Belibi for that power forward slot, if Amihere is not right and tight (but she's also got Stanford); and, Sydnee Roby, a banger from Milwaukee for low post. Of course, with Anaya Peoples, ND is not really in the game for a point guard and the Irish have three guards in Class of 2018 so....

...they can also push hard for 2020, in which UConn will do the same.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If UCONN doesn't offer a kid, there's a reason for it. It could be many reasons. Lack of interest from the coaches, perceived lack of interest from the player, coaches have not evaluated enough to make an offer, kid has not come to campus for a visit, etc etc. To worry that the sky is falling, or some other version of that, is just going to give people ulcers. There are SO many kids that UCONN is still interested in, and SO many kids left to make decisions that it's sort of silly to over-worry.

UCONN landed Kalana Greene after a very short recruitment (it seemed that way). There was literally zero "publicity" surrounding her recruitment, then BAM. She's chosen UCONN. Tiff Hayes was recruited for about 2 weeks (it seemed) before she verbaled. Unsure how hard UCONN was recruiting ONO but suddenly the situation intensified after Collier changed her mind, and she chose UCONN. Stevens and Camara came out of nowhere - meaning UCONN was NOT recruiting them as they were at Duke and Kentucky respectively. When they decided to transfer, UCONN went after them and BAM.

To ask "when was the last time UCONN didn't get a recruit in a year" is silly. Of the top 60, literally 39 kids are still in play. Start worrying when that number drops to 0 - IF UCONN still has no kids in tow... But to answer that question, never since Geno has been in charge. In 1999 we had only Kennitra Johnson and she transferred out. In 2001, only Ashley Valley. In 2009 only Kelly Faris. In 2013 only Saniya Chong.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to post, but the "sky is falling" mentality is comical. 2 straight years of making the final 4, only to lose on a last second shot in OT and suddenly, it's all going to hell in a hand-basket. Head bang UCONN has made it to 11 straight final 4's but "only" won 6 times. The other teams were Tennessee, aTm, Baylor, SC and ND. I'll start worrying when we have no top 10 recruits and drop out of the top 10 as well. Just don't see that happening with Lou, Pheesa, Danger, Walker, ONO and Williams on board.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Sounds like a JAB (Jones, Amihere, Boston) could be the knockout punch for UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom