2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 126 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Dillon.....if ND gets Brunelle and you already have Peoples, how many more '19 players does ND have room for?

I'd say 3. ND is at 11 for next year. Turner, Shepard, Arike, and Mabrey will be done. Muffet likes around 12. So I'd think they are shooting for a class of at least 4 and perhaps 5.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another report on the Bruins Tip-Off Classic tourney from last week:

2019 Jordan Horston 6'1" PG All Ohio Black EYBL (OH)

I was not going to write about any 2019 kids at this event because many college coaches and fans know about the top kids. But I am going to make an exception this time, because after what I saw this kid do she deserves it. In a highly anticipated matchup against Sports City U (OH), Horston was easily the best player on the floor. She did whatever she wanted on the court when she had the ball in her hands; she pushed it in transition, finished at the rim or was kicking out to teammates for scoring opportunities. Hortson had 23 of her game-high 35 points in the first half. She’s going to make some college coach happy when she steps on campus because she is a program changer.

LBI Michigan Event Recap: WPA Bruins Spring Tip-Off Classic

Reaction Score

I was not going to write about any 2019 kids at this event because many college coaches and fans know about the top kids. But I am going to make an exception this time, because after what I saw this kid do she deserves it. In a highly anticipated matchup against Sports City U (OH), Horston was easily the best player on the floor. She did whatever she wanted on the court when she had the ball in her hands; she pushed it in transition, finished at the rim or was kicking out to teammates for scoring opportunities. Hortson had 23 of her game-high 35 points in the first half. She’s going to make some college coach happy when she steps on campus because she is a program changer.

At this point, I have no idea where she stands with UConn or Uconn with her

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon.....if ND gets Brunelle and you already have Peoples, how many more '19 players does ND have room for?

I'd say 3. ND is at 11 for next year. Turner, Shepard, Arike, and Mabrey will be done. Muffet likes around 12. So I'd think they are shooting for a class of at least 4 and perhaps 5.

Went to check the chart our McGraw's Bench colleague, BabaGhanouj, did on potential team makeup, to make sure. Having done so, I agree with Orangutan: I think MM/Niele are shooting for a total of 4 players in 2019 to get to 11 scholarship players, which would mean two more if things work out right on Sunday (knock on wood). However, I don't think they need to stretch to get to 12, given how plentiful the Class of 2020 is at so many positions. Of course it they land the prime '19 candidates, I'm sure they would take 4 or 5 (wouldn't count on it, given how popular these targets are). If not, MM could fill out to 12 -- if desired -- by perhaps by keeping on some of the walk-ons. Let's see what happens tomorrow first.

What got you thinking about this? General interest?

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Went to check the chart our McGraw's Bench colleague, Baba, did on potential team makeup, to make sure. Having done so, I agree with Orangutan: I think MM/Niele are shooting for a total of 4 players in 2019 to get to 11 scholarship players, which would mean two more if things work out right on Sunday (knock on wood). However, I don't think they need to stretch to get to 12, given how plentiful the Class of 2020 is at so many positions. Of course it they land the prime '19 candidates, I'm sure they would take 4 or 5. If not, MM could fill out to 12 -- if desired -- by perhaps by keeping on some of the walk-ons. Let's see what happens tomorrow first.

I agree. I think no more than 4 total in 2019 unless something amazing happens. First of all, 2020 is stacked, like you mentioned. Plus Notre Dame will really have 5 freshman next season as far as eligibility goes, with RS freshman Vaughn and the four 2018 recruits. If they get 5 in 2019, that creates really unbalanced recruiting going forward, with 10 people in 2 consecutive classes. ND only graduates Jackie Young after the 2019-20 season and only Dani Patterson in 2020-21 season. Unless ND expects transfers, they really shouldn't have more than 9 in consecutive classes.

Reaction Score
Went to check the chart our McGraw's Bench colleague, BabaGhanouj, did on potential team makeup, to make sure. Having done so, I agree with Orangutan: I think MM/Niele are shooting for a total of 4 players in 2019 to get to 11 scholarship players, which would mean two more if things work out right on Sunday (knock on wood). However, I don't think they need to stretch to get to 12, given how plentiful the Class of 2020 is at so many positions. Of course it they land the prime '19 candidates, I'm sure they would take 4 or 5 (wouldn't count on it, given how popular these targets are). If not, MM could fill out to 12 -- if desired -- by perhaps by keeping on some of the walk-ons. Let's see what happens tomorrow first.

I was thinking about the ND 2018 class which is pretty big with four players that are good but not the highest ranked recruits (other then Gilbert) followed by better four or five player classes in 2019 and 2020...........I wouldn't think MM would want such a log jam (including three point guards in 18/19) but I wasn't taking into accountant who was leaving....

Reaction Score

Do we know how much interaction UConn has had with Horston? She seems like a great talent.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do we know how much interaction UConn has had with Horston? She seems like a great talent.

Shea Ralph scouted her about two months ago. That's the only connection between her and UConn that I've seen so far.

Reaction Score
Brunelle will verbal to Uconn on Sunday. The future is CD, Ono, MW, CW and SB. New history. Same traditions.
Lol missed this one. No worries. I'm calling it, CW is DT, Maya and Stewie like. New faces same tradition. Let's go!!!! Looking forward to new battles with the Irish and others.

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph scouted her about two months ago. That's the only connection between her and UConn that I've seen so far.

besides her offensive abilities, a long athletic defender like Horston would certainly add a whole lot to UConn's defensive play.......she is a major disruptor..........add Jones, Boston and or Amihere and the Sam Brunelle episode will be long forgotten

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
besides her offensive abilities, a long athletic defender like Horston would certainly add a whole lot to UConn's defensive play..she is a major disruptor.....add Jones, Boston and or Amihere and the Sam Brunelle episode will be long forgotten
You have highlighted a “fearsome foursome” of shut down defenders. If they all were to end up in Storrs, opposing teams would struggle to get to 40 pts in a game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
besides her offensive abilities, a long athletic defender like Horston would certainly add a whole lot to UConn's defensive play..she is a major disruptor.....add Jones, Boston and or Amihere and the Sam Brunelle episode will be long forgotten
Just like the Collier episode has long been forgotten since the signing of Williams and ONO. I have seen none of them play but based on what I have read, Boston is a must seeing how she is local and Amihere is the kind of basketball playing athlete who can help elevate the program. I take that back. I have seen Jones play and she should be a top priority, imo.

Reaction Score
If Sam Brunelle commits to Uconn she will eventually take Lou’s spot. I can see her hitting the corner three for us for years too come.

Reaction Score
With Brunelle headed to ND I wouldn’t mind seeing UConn get in the mix with Bell from Ohio, she’s similar Jones, looks like she could be a positionless player.

Reaction Score
With Brunelle headed to ND I wouldn’t mind seeing UConn get in the mix with Bell from Ohio, she’s similar Jones, looks like she could be a positionless player.

I'm not sure her game is a fit for Geno and UConn but she is a singular talent..............I would hope that Jordon Horston is back in the picture........she is a two way player who if tutored properly could be a game changer

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't think UCONN is in the mix for Bell. Word is that she is a heavy tOSU lean and much like her idol (Lebron) she likes her tatoos.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wow!!!!

I go on vacation for a while and I come back to quite a haul of information. Seems UCONN is really going after Haley Jones. I was talking with a few folks this last weekend and they thought she could easily jump to #1 in the ESPN Hoopgurlz updated rankings. Brunelle picked ND. Great for her. Some of you need to move on and not be so negative about it. Kids are allowed to chose where they want to go. Not where we think they should fit. I am happy for the kid.

I am more and more intrigued by Amihere. Not sure where we are with her but a versatile front court play---i like.

Still scratching my head with Horston. I am probably in the minority here but when i watched her last summer i wasn't particularly impressed. I felt like she tried to make too much happen and she forced a lot in the USA games. I hear she is having a good start to her AAU season so that bodes well for the kid. Nothing beats experience and another year older. Don't count out Ohio State or North Carolina for her final 5. She has some strong connections with those teams. She could probably step right into Ohio State and dominate minutes and points a la Kelsey Mitchell.

Lets all have a great summer, wish these kids well and relish in the thought that we will have some 2019 commitments soon enough.

Reaction Score
Wow!!!!

I go on vacation for a while and I come back to quite a haul of information. Seems UCONN is really going after Haley Jones. I was talking with a few folks this last weekend and they thought she could easily jump to #1 in the ESPN Hoopgurlz updated rankings. Brunelle picked ND. Great for her. Some of you need to move on and not be so negative about it. Kids are allowed to chose where they want to go. Not where we think they should fit. I am happy for the kid.

I am more and more intrigued by Amihere. Not sure where we are with her but a versatile front court play---i like.

Still scratching my head with Horston. I am probably in the minority here but when i watched her last summer i wasn't particularly impressed. I felt like she tried to make too much happen and she forced a lot in the USA games. I hear she is having a good start to her AAU season so that bodes well for the kid. Nothing beats experience and another year older. Don't count out Ohio State or North Carolina for her final 5. She has some strong connections with those teams. She could probably step right into Ohio State and dominate minutes and points a la Kelsey Mitchell.

Lets all have a great summer, wish these kids well and relish in the thought that we will have some 2019 commitments soon enough.

Jones is recruit #!.............if UConn gets her I predict great things, if she ends up somewhere else I see some trouble ahead............Horston seems to be playing with more focus and under better control......her physical gifts are evident.........whether she could comfortably fit in Genoland is an open question as is whether there is mutual interest......

Reaction Score
Went to see Hailey Van Lith play this morning - last day of the Phoenix Adidas Gauntlet. She's a "big" 5'9", very solid - definitely not a "needs some time in the weight room" prospect. At first she didn't appear to be super athletic, and she couldn't hit anything mid-range or from 3. But, boy can she take you off the dribble. Really, really quick first step, and strong - she can blow by you or just muscle her way in. And acrobatic finishes at the rim, plus she always seems to get fouled, and the ball always seems to find its way into the hole.

She also threw a lot of WNBA-worthy, thread-the-needle, no-look passes. Great court vision and passing skill. However, more often than not, the teammate she was passing to was just as surprised as as the other team was, ending up in a turnover. Don't know how long this team has actually played together though - definitely fixable with experience. There seemed to be a little bit of a 'hot dog' element to it, too.

upload_2018-4-22_13-15-7.png

Reaction Score
Most of the "College Coaches Only" chairs at the Phoenix Gauntlet were empty this morning, except for Van Lith's game. Only coaches I recognized were Charli Turner-Thorne and Scott Rueck.

upload_2018-4-22_13-18-56.png

Reaction Score
Went to see Hailey Van Lith play this morning - last day of the Phoenix Adidas Gauntlet. She's a "big" 5'9", very solid - definitely not a "needs some time in the weight room" prospect. At first she didn't appear to be super athletic, and she couldn't hit anything mid-range or from 3. But, boy can she take you off the dribble. Really, really quick first step, and strong - she can blow by you or just muscle her way in. And acrobatic finishes at the rim, plus she always seems to get fouled, and the ball always seems to find its way into the hole.

She also threw a lot of WNBA-worthy, thread-the-needle, no-look passes. Great court vision and passing skill. However, more often than not, the teammate she was passing to was just as surprised as as the other team was, ending up in a turnover. Don't know how long this team has actually played together though - definitely fixable with experience. There seemed to be a little bit of a 'hot dog' element to it, too.

View attachment 30922

I’m a huge Hailey Van Lith fan. I like her game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom