2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 112 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sluconn...you gotta relax brother....don't you know it's normal for recruits to visit teams on their list and post an innocent pic of where they're at? Come on man...baby bruney posted Uconn pics too and others....fact of the matter is UConn dropped the ball (maybe intentionally, I don't know) with continuing to try and build a relationship....period....brunelle decision still unmade
If you don't know, maybe you shouldn't say eh?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We know Geno has made 2 trips to California in the past month and a couple of in-season trips to Minnesota.

As far as we know, when was the last time Geno or one of the asst coaches traveled to Virginia to visit or watch Brunelle play?

Reaction Score
If in fact (and I really don't know) UConn has lost interest in Sam B it's not due to deterioration in her game...............either they already have a commitment from another similar player or she has made it clear that UConn is no longer a consideration...........we'll see when she cuts her list but the odds are this is much ado about nothing.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Went back and did a little digging because this reported confusion among the UCONN staff about "if" Samantha had a UCONN offer did not make sense to me never mind the alleged “UCONN dropped the ball with Samantha.”

" I wanted to see UConn practice for a long time and it was great to experience it for myself," said Brunelle, who received a scholarship offer from coach Geno Auriemma during her visit. "I'm really glad I got to see how hard they really work. It was amazing for me to see the different things they do. It showed me why they're constantly a national championship contender."

Sam Brunelle hoping to set gold standard

This article is dated May 2017. Samantha and her parents visited UCONN in early January 2018.

Reaction Score
Went back and did a little digging because this reported confusion among the UCONN staff about "if" Samantha had a UCONN offer did not make sense to me never mind the alleged “UCONN dropped the ball with Samantha.”

" I wanted to see UConn practice for a long time and it was great to experience it for myself," said Brunelle, who received a scholarship offer from coach Geno Auriemma during her visit. "I'm really glad I got to see how hard they really work. It was amazing for me to see the different things they do. It showed me why they're constantly a national championship contender."

This article is dated May 2017. Samantha and her parents visited UCONN in early January 2018.

so perhaps the SB sky isn't falling?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

The offer came in October of 2016, just to be clear.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Geno and Chris don't drop balls when it comes to recruiting.

@UConnCat , you know how much I enjoy your posts and inside information, but Alana Beard says hello.

And UConn and Tennessee passed on her.
Geno Auriemma leans against a bureau in the UConn coaches' office, his head framed by six of his nine Big East championship trophies. The Huskies have just slapped Miami 81-45, but Auriemma scowls and shakes his head. "We were in Colorado Springs last summer, tryouts for the Junior World Championships," he says. "And she just made this unbelievable move -- another one." He is talking about Beard, of course. "At that point I just turned around, found [UConn assistant] Chris Dailey and [Tennessee assistant] Mickie DeMoss in the stands, and told them, 'You should both be fired.' "

ESPNMAG.com - Li'l Devil

Reaction Score
Geno and Chris don't drop balls when it comes to recruiting.

I wouldn't think so................when you're only actively recruiting a minimal number of kids how could you drop any balls? Now Walz, Aston, Freze etc they are master jugglers!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
@UConnCat , you know how much I enjoy your posts and inside information, but Alana Beard says hello.

Geno Auriemma leans against a bureau in the UConn coaches' office, his head framed by six of his nine Big East championship trophies. The Huskies have just slapped Miami 81-45, but Auriemma scowls and shakes his head. "We were in Colorado Springs last summer, tryouts for the Junior World Championships," he says. "And she just made this unbelievable move -- another one." He is talking about Beard, of course. "At that point I just turned around, found [UConn assistant] Chris Dailey and [Tennessee assistant] Mickie DeMoss in the stands, and told them, 'You should both be fired.' "

ESPNMAG.com - Li'l Devil

LOL Not exactly my point but funny anyway.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

ESPNMAG.com - Li'l Devil
That's not dropping the ball so much as a recruiting miss. Misses happen all the time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wouldn't think so......when you're only actively recruiting a minimal number of kids how could you drop any balls? Now Walz, Aston, Freze etc they are master jugglers!!!

Right. Geno traveled to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago to watch a kid who's already signed her NLI. He's made 2 trips to California in the past few weeks to watch and then visit Haley Jones.

Have Geno and Chris forgotten about Brunelle?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
That's not dropping the ball so much as a recruiting miss. Misses happen all the time.

If you watch the ESPN "College SportsCentury" on Alana Beard from 2002, you hear an interview with Geno Auriemma when he stated, "At that point I just turned around, found [UConn assistant] Chris Dailey and [Tennessee assistant] Mickie DeMoss in the stands, and told them, 'You should both be fired.' "

What follows is an interview with Chris Dailey where she admits to dropping the ball, relying on, what she called, "the rumor in the recruiting world" that Beard was not going to leave the state of Louisiana to play college basketball.

But this is the exception that proves the rule (and your point) - that "Geno and Chris don't [generally ever] drop balls when it comes to recruiting."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

A recruiting miss that was made more than 18 years ago. Both Geno and Chris will tell you that they are much better recruiters today then they were back then. There were other misses back then. Many here remember the post-Taurasi dark years.

I'm talking now and about a top-ranked player who has visited Storrs more than once and has an offer. As far as I know Geno did not travel to Virginia to watch Brunelle play this year. Maybe he and Chris made a home visit and we don't know about it. I just don't think they'd "drop the ball" when it comes to Brunelle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Right. Geno traveled to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago to watch a kid who's already signed her NLI. He's made 2 trips to California in the past few weeks to watch and then visit Haley Jones.
Have Geno and Chris forgotten about Brunelle?
Doubtful. When Geno traveled to Arkansas to watch Christyn it was for a State Championship game and Geno did the same thing for Megan Walker the prior year. Both Samantha's and Olivia's teams were knocked out of the state Championship tournaments before making the finals. There is no telling what Geno would have done or if he would have been able to attend, had either actually made it to a state championship game. The recruiting landscape for Haley Jones changed significantly a few months ago when she made an unofficial visit to South Carolina and Texas. That was a clear signal that Haley might be willing to leave the State of California so why not UCONN? Remember that UCONN was in Haley's backyard in November for more than a week between LA, Oregon, & Nevada. When UCONN was on that west coast trip they had time to visit Charisma Osborne & my guess is they would have also made time to visit Haley -if the UCONN staff though they had a chance with her. I don't think two trips to the West Coast indicates no longer interested in Samantha. Geno has an incredible good sense of where things stand with recruits. Me things Geno want’s both Samantha and Haley at UCONN & I would not bet against it happening.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doubtful. When Geno traveled to Arkansas to watch Christyn it was for a State Championship game and Geno did the same thing for Megan Walker the prior year. Both Samantha's and Olivia's teams were knocked out of the state Championship tournaments before making the finals. There is no telling what Geno would have done or if he would have been able to attend, had either actually made it to a state championship game. The recruiting landscape for Haley Jones changed significantly a few months ago when she made an unofficial visit to South Carolina and Texas. That was a clear signal that Haley might be willing to leave the State of California so why not UCONN? Remember that UCONN was in Haley's backyard in November for more than a week between LA, Oregon, & Nevada. When UCONN was on that west coast trip they had time to visit Charisma Osborne & my guess is they would have also made time to visit Haley -if the UCONN staff though they had a chance with her. I don't think two trips to the West Coast indicates no longer interested in Samantha. Geno has an incredible good sense of where things stand with recruits. Me things Geno want’s both Samantha and Haley at UCONN & I would not bet against it happening.

I'm not saying that two trips to California means he's no longer interested in Brunelle. I'm saying two trips to California, a trip to Arkansas and, as far as we know, zero trips to Virginia may mean something. He went to California because recruiting Jones required that he make those trips. The last time I know of Geno traveling to Virginia to watch Brunelle play was January and February 2017 when he watched her play twice within a three week period. Is UConn is so well positioned with Brunelle that Geno didn't feel a need to go watch her play or do a home visit? That, in fact, would be dropping the ball and that's what I'm saying he would not do.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I hope there's nothing to this rumor that UConn has pulled back its efforts with Brunelle. Brunelle is awesome, and UConn wouldn't be where it is if it suddenly stopped trying to land awesome recruits. So I hope that the rumor is false.

But if it's true, then what could explain it? Do you you think it could be that Ezi Magbegor let Geno know she was coming, and then he worried about having a logjam at the 4 and 5? Let me be clear: That sounds insane to me. For one thing, Brunelle might be able to play the 3, perhaps with Megan Walker at the 2 and eventually Christyn Williams at the 1 (or something like that). And for another thing, UConn could rotate Brunelle, Ezi, and ONO at the 4 and 5 -- just like Geno is currently doing with Napheesa, Gabby, and Z. Brunelle is so good that there will always be a way for her to start and play huge minutes, no matter who else is there.

For these reasons, I think it would make no sense to stop trying to get Brunelle. And if something makes no sense, Geno doesn't do it. But Dolphan says that's happening, so I'm scratching my head to think of any way it could be the case. And Magbegor is the only possible explanation I can think of. So please, all of you, tell me the Magbegor theory is wrong. If you do, then I'll reduce my worries about landing Brunelle.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I hope there's nothing to this rumor that UConn has pulled back its efforts with Brunelle. Brunelle is awesome, and UConn wouldn't be where it is if it suddenly stopped trying to land awesome recruits. So I hope that the rumor is false.

But if it's true, then what could explain it? Do you you think it could be that Ezi Magbegor let Geno know she was coming, and then he worried about having a logjam at the 4 and 5? Let me be clear: That sounds insane to me. For one thing, Brunelle might be able to play the 3, perhaps with Megan Walker at the 2 and eventually Christyn Williams at the 1 (or something like that). And for another thing, UConn could rotate Brunelle, Ezi, and ONO at the 4 and 5 -- just like Geno is currently doing with Napheesa, Gabby, and Z. Brunelle is so good that there will always be a way for her to start and play huge minutes, no matter who else is there.

For these reasons, I think it would make no sense to stop trying to get Brunelle. And if something makes no sense, Geno doesn't do it. But Dolphan says that's happening, so I'm scratching my head to think of any way it could be the case. And Magbegor is the only possible explanation I can think of. So please, all of you, tell me the Magbegor theory is wrong. If you do, then I'll reduce my worries about landing Brunelle.
Isn’t the simplest explanation that Samantha’s interest in UConn has cooled to the point that Geno no longer thinks that she is likely to sign, so the UConn coaches have turned their attention elsewhere?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Haley Jones' final junior season stats:

21.8 points, 10 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 2.5 blocks, 2 steals

64% FG (262-412), 45% 3-Pt (29-65), 75% FT (100-134)

2.2 assist/TO (124-56)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn’t the simplest explanation that Samantha’s interest in UConn has cooled to the point that Geno no longer thinks that she is likely to sign, so the UConn coaches have turned their attention elsewhere?

Could be. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened, e.g., Turner, Brianna. Then again, there have been times when he knows UConn is a longshot and continues to recruit a kid anyway, e.g., Cox, Lauren.

There are likely additional factors.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I was so confused by the time I got to the end. What is it that you want me to tell you about Ezi or were we talking about Samantha?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Entirely possible. Also possible that Smanatha has "secretly" committed to UCONN or UCONN's interest in Samantha has cooled.

Reaction Score

As far as I know, the only reasson we're even talking about this is Dolphan's posts. And those posts say that the change came from UConn, not Brunelle. Brunelle, we are told, wants UConn to keep strongly pursuing her.

Reaction Score
I was so confused by the time I got to the end. What is it that you want me to tell you about Ezi or were we talking about Samantha?

Okay, I'll be clear: Could Geno have stopped recruiting Samantha because he knows Ezi is coming?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom