2018 WNBA Mock Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 WNBA Mock Draft

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Here's my first round assuming it's only players with no eligibility left:

Other players to look out for: Kathryn Westbeld, Linnae Harper, Mariya Moore, Taya Reimer

Guess you have to move Mariya Moore to the 2019 draft

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the rematch of Wilson vs. Stevens in Columbia. Wilson won handedly BOTH times prior so I'm not sure why people keep saying Stevens is better when the results are right in your face. Either way, we will get to see them face off again.. so it'll be decided for us, again. I expect an improved Stevens, but then again.. A'ja is also very much improved.

If head to head stats correlate to draft position then Gabby Williams will certainly be picked ahead of Wilson based on last season's match up where Williams put up 26 pts & 14 rebounds (6 offensive) to Wilson's 17 pts & 5 rebounds (1 offensive).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If head to head stats correlate to draft position then Gabby Williams will certainly be picked ahead of Wilson based on last season's match up where Williams put up 26 pts & 14 rebounds (6 offensive) to Wilson's 17 pts & 5 rebounds (1 offensive).

That's great. But I'm talking about Wilson and Stevens head to head, two true post players.

Reaction Score
That's great. But I'm talking about Wilson and Stevens head to head, two true post players.

You used head to head to support who would get picked 1st. I did the same. It's a goose vs gander thing :)

I don't think it' a valid basis for determining where a player will be drafted and only showed the Gabby v Wilson stats to show why. You can't use that argument for one match up and then deny it's validity in another.

Who gets drafted where in May of 2018 will have a lot to do with the needs of the teams. And I don't think that Wilson is by any means a lock for No 1.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You used head to head to support who would get picked 1st. I did the same. It's a goose vs gander thing :)

I don't think it' a valid basis for determining where a player will be drafted and only showed the Gabby v Wilson stats to show why. You can't use that argument for one match up and then deny it's validity in another.

Who gets drafted where in May of 2018 will have a lot to do with the needs of the teams. And I don't think that Wilson is by any means a lock for No 1.

Assuming Wilson remains healthy and has a productive season..... which WNBA team wouldnt take her #1?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

But that's just it, In this moment, I wasn't even talking about the draft. Somebody brought up Stevens being better than Wilson and I gave my opinion to why she's not. I was talking about Wilson and Stevens head to head, literally how they've played against one another in the past... nowhere did I say anything about Wilson going 1st in the draft.

Now if you want me to talk about the draft, Wilson vs. Gabby then I will. I think Wilson goes before her, regardless of Gabby's fabulous stats. 1 on 1, Williams can't contain Wilson. Her athleticism will serve her well, but it's still not enough.

Reaction Score
Assuming Wilson remains healthy and has a productive season..... which WNBA team wouldnt take her #1?

I have no idea. I don't follow the WNBA. But what I see is not so much who wouldn't pick her as much as where she doesn't want to play.

I do believe that by next May Wilson may not be the best player. For over 2 1/2 years Coates has been doing the dirty work in the paint. Now it's Wilson that will have to take the beatings. I'm not sure she has the belly for it. In that respect she is a lot like Stewart, but Stewart could extend her offense out past the arc while Wilson has been doing most of her scoring midrange to inside. And I think there are a few players going into their senior years who, with some additional improvement, could become a more desirable pro prospect. That's not saying that Wilson can't improve. She could easily end up the No 1 pick. But if a team like, say, the Sun were to get the top pick I wouldn't be surprised if they traded it away. The Sun never seem to keep top players. When they get into the lottery they end up with pick no. 3 or 4 and when they draft a true blue-chip player they trade them and end up with lesser players. And I think that it's done "for the good of the league".

Also, it's my belief that the league "arranges" where players go. No 1 picks are traded prior to the draft or sometimes a year later but it seems that certain teams seem to have a disproportionate number of legit stars. When you pay players the meager salaries offered in the W the players have a lot of leverage as to where they play. I thought that was obvious back in the days when the draft order was "picked" behind closed doors. Nowadays it's done with more subtlety. And when impact players like Charles, EDD and Fowles can demand and get traded to he team of THEIR choice it's obvious that the field isn't level.

Reaction Score
But that's just it, In this moment, I wasn't even talking about the draft. Somebody brought up Stevens being better than Wilson and I gave my opinion to why she's not. I was talking about Wilson and Stevens head to head, literally how they've played against one another in the past... nowhere did I say anything about Wilson going 1st in the draft.

Now if you want me to talk about the draft, Wilson vs. Gabby then I will. I think Wilson goes before her, regardless of Gabby's fabulous stats. 1 on 1, Williams can't contain Wilson. Her athleticism will serve her well, but it's still not enough.

OK, then using your own measuring standards you would have to admit that Williams is better than Wilson. No?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just as a side note, I'm not sure that Azura would even guard Wilson, or vice versa. A lot will depend on the kind of offense and defense each team runs. If Azura plays more on the wing while Williams and Collier flourish in the post, you won't see Wilson come out to the 3 point line to continuously defend Stevens (IMHO). Guarding Wilson will be another story - she's big and strong, but Gabby and Napheesa handled her this past year so who knows?

With what SC lost, I think they will be on the lower end of the top 10 this year (maybe somewhere between 6-10) and it's doubtful they will stay within 15-20 points of UConn next season. Never too early for smack talk, eh?!!
While I don't see her starting, I can see Batouly getting significant minutes off the bench guarding Wilson. She has the strength and footwork to push Wilson off the blocks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can't be serious about that last statement regarding Azura. Wilson is the obvious #1 choice and it is not even close. I know we can choose to favor players on our teams that we root for, but Wilson has shown in multiple games that she struggles playing against and guarding Wilson.
Wilson was struggling guarding herself? :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have no idea. I don't follow the WNBA. But what I see is not so much who wouldn't pick her as much as where she doesn't want to play.
Also, it's my belief that the league "arranges" where players go. No 1 picks are traded prior to the draft or sometimes a year later but it seems that certain teams seem to have a disproportionate number of legit stars. When you pay players the meager salaries offered in the W the players have a lot of leverage as to where they play. I thought that was obvious back in the days when the draft order was "picked" behind closed doors. Nowadays it's done with more subtlety. And when impact players like Charles, EDD and Fowles can demand and get traded to he team of THEIR choice it's obvious that the field isn't level.
For someone that DOESN'T follow the WNBA....... I could clearly see (or not) why you would think this.

Reaction Score
I think Gabby can do more than Wilson but being a number 1 pick isn't always being the best player. Whatever team has that pick wants to have a player who fits in with there system. Like if New York has a down season and end up with the first pick I don't think they will take Wilson with Tina Kiah and Kia Vaughn but trades free agency etc can change things

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I do believe that by next May Wilson may not be the best player. For over 2 1/2 years Coates has been doing the dirty work in the paint. Now it's Wilson that will have to take the beatings. I'm not sure she has the belly for it. In that respect she is a lot like Stewart, but Stewart could extend her offense out past the arc while Wilson has been doing most of her scoring midrange to insid.

Did you watch the NCAA tournament at all? Wilson was getting mobbed inside against Stanford and she never stopped battling. She appeared to shy away from contact as a freshman, but now is one of the more physical posts in the country and regularly attacks the basket and finishes through contact.

Wilson is a classic face up four with potential to develop into a point 4 if that's what is needed by her team. She has the frame and strength to finish through contact inside, can stick midrange jumpers, can drive and draws fouls, crashes the glass hard and is quick enough to blow by opposing posts who contest her face up game. Any time she touches the ball 15 feet and in, she's a threat to score.

Physically she is built like Candace Parker with her long arms and slender but strong frame. She has tremendous upside and could develop into a player like Tina Charles with proper coaching and in the right situation.

Reaction Score
For someone that DOESN'T follow the WNBA.. I could clearly see (or not) why you would think this.

When I say I don't follow I mean I don't watch many games over the season, for various reasons but mostly because a) I don't enjoy watching the style of play in the league and b) I think the rosters are to some degree "arranged" to load some teams with top-level players. But I do follow player movement and I do watch draftees while they are in college.
Did you watch the NCAA tournament at all? Wilson was getting mobbed inside against Stanford and she never stopped battling. She appeared to shy away from contact as a freshman, but now is one of the more physical posts in the country and regularly attacks the basket and finishes through contact.

Wilson is a classic face up four with potential to develop into a point 4 if that's what is needed by her team. She has the frame and strength to finish through contact inside, can stick midrange jumpers, can drive and draws fouls, crashes the glass hard and is quick enough to blow by opposing posts who contest her face up game. Any time she touches the ball 15 feet and in, she's a threat to score.

Physically she is built like Candace Parker with her long arms and slender but strong frame. She has tremendous upside and could develop into a player like Tina Charles with proper coaching and in the right situation.

It's just my opinion, but:
First, getting mobbed by Stanford is a lot different from getting mobbed by the Liberty and we are talking about potential as a pro.

Second, Wilson did have a great NCAA tournament but remember, Coates did most of the inside work until fairly late in the season. Let's see how Wilson stands up doing it starting in November. She was not in very good condition in her first 2 years. I can remember her bent over gasping in her first 2 games against UConn and in the W it's a lot more physically demanding. I think you are right that she, like Parker, wants to stay out of the paint and get most of her points on mid-range shots and slashing moves to the basket.

I can see that I seem to be throwing cold water on Wilson and that isn't my intent but unlike the SC fans posting here I don't see her as a lock as the number 1 pick. To me she's more of a Loyd-level talent who would be a slam-dunk top pick in many years but next year's draft is IMO going to be an historic one. I wouldn't be surprised to see the owner of the top pick trade it away for 2 of the top 8 picks. If you had a choice of drafting Wilson or trading the pick and getting 2 of a group including Williams, Stevens, Turner, Thomas and DeShields which would you do?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can see that I seem to be throwing cold water on Wilson and that isn't my intent but unlike the SC fans posting here I don't see her as a lock as the number 1 pick. To me she's more of a Loyd-level talent who would be a slam-dunk top pick in many years but next year's draft is IMO going to be an historic one. I wouldn't be surprised to see the owner of the top pick trade it away for 2 of the top 8 picks. If you had a choice of drafting Wilson or trading the pick and getting 2 of a group including Williams, Stevens, Turner, Thomas and DeShields which would you do?
Uhm...You are not throwing cold water. You are throwing much shade. A Loyd level talent?
So please refresh my memory, what number did Loyd go in the WNBA draft again?
150605-loyd-no1-800.jpg

Reaction Score
Uhm...You are not throwing cold water. You are throwing much shade. A Loyd level talent?
So please refresh my memory, what number did Loyd go in the WNBA draft again?
150605-loyd-no1-800.jpg

She was the top pick in an average draft. Amanda Zahui B. would not even be a top 10 pick next April but she was the second pick in 2015. And Loyd wouldn't have been a top 2 pick in 2016. Here's a link to the 2015 draft. You tell me how many of the top 10 that year would be top 10 next year. 2015 WNBA Draft Board - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA . Loyd for sure, and maybe Williams, but it's very iffy after that.

Wilson would have been a lock No 1 pick in either 2015 or 2017 but not in 2016 and not necessarily in 2017. And as I said, she may be the best player but if I had a choice of getting her or trading the pick and getting both Gabby Williams and either Stevens or Turner, I would take the 2 players over the 1. JMO of course.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She was the top pick in an average draft. Amanda Zahui B. would not even be a top 10 pick next April but she was the second pick in 2015. And Loyd wouldn't have been a top 2 pick in 2016. Here's a link to the 2015 draft. You tell me how many of the top 10 that year would be top 10 next year. 2015 WNBA Draft Board - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA . Loyd for sure, and maybe Williams, but it's very iffy after that.

Wilson would have been a lock No 1 pick in either 2015 or 2017 but not in 2016 and not necessarily in 2017. And as I said, she may be the best player but if I had a choice of getting her or trading the pick and getting both Gabby Williams and either Stevens or Turner, I would take the 2 players over the 1. JMO of course.
Wilson would have been the 1st pick in the 2015 WNBA draft.
Wilson would have been the 2nd pick in the 2016 WNBA draft.
Wilson would have been the 1st pick in the 2017 WNBA draft.
Wilson will be the first pick in the 2018 WNBA draft.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the rematch of Wilson vs. Stevens in Columbia. Wilson won handedly BOTH times prior so I'm not sure why people keep saying Stevens is better when the results are right in your face. Either way, we will get to see them face off again.. so it'll be decided for us, again. I expect an improved Stevens, but then again.. A'ja is also very much improved.
Well by that logic, Gabby should be #1 because she out played Wilson this year and add int the fact Wilson has disappointed in all 3 UConn games, any UConn player should be ahead of her...:rolleyes:

I am Kidding of course, but let's not get so carried away like Wilson is so dominant like Stewie, she isn't. Is she the leading candidate for #1 pick, yes. Would it take a Herculean collapse for her not to be, probably, but please back off the indignation. She's 0-3 and will be 0-4 against UConn...:cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
2016????

Reaction Score
Wilson will go number 1, I think Williams, Deshields, and Mitchell will be the next 3 taken.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2016????
Yes. The San Antonio Stars rosters is devoid of size and not only would Wilson at 6'5" have been the Stars tallest player she would be the most skilled post player. That's nothing against Moriah BTW.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee could have three top ten picks.

Reaction Score
Sorry,
2016, Moriah is and will be 2nd pick not Wilson.
2017, Plum is and will be 1st pick not Wilson.
2018, Gabby will be 1st pick not Wilson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom