2018 WNBA Mock Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 WNBA Mock Draft

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well by that logic, Gabby should be #1 because she out played Wilson this year and add int the fact Wilson has disappointed in all 3 UConn games, any UConn player should be ahead of her...:rolleyes:

I am Kidding of course, but let's not get so carried away like Wilson is so dominant like Stewie, she isn't. Is she the leading candidate for #1 pick, yes. Would it take a Herculean collapse for her not to be, probably, but please back off the indignation. She's 0-3 and will be 0-4 against UConn...:cool:

Y'all are really trying your best to make my comment something it's not. My post is strictly about Wilson vs. Stevens. I said nothing about Gabby Williams, Breanna Stewart, Wilson being Stewie-like dominant or Wilson going 1st in the draft. No idea why irrelevant topics keep being applied to my posts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People often talk about Garnet glassss but you are using blue shaded glasses if you think gabby would go befor Wilson. Wilson not only has been an MVP on two USA gold medal squads but also she is 6'5 and extremely skilled. Though a great athlete, Gabby is playing out of position and will have to develop a consistent jumper to justify that position translating to the WNBA. Wilson on the other hand is the height for her position and brings more to a pro team. You don't find many at her height with her skills whereas Gabby will be extremely undersized at her position entering the league. She would have to switch positions which WNBA teams are skeptical of especiall with top draft picks. Aja projects as a better pro and Olympian than any in that draft. Just ask Geno.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Y'all are really trying your best to make my comment something it's not. My post is strictly about Wilson vs. Stevens. I said nothing about Gabby Williams, Breanna Stewart, Wilson being Stewie-like dominant or Wilson going 1st in the draft. No idea why irrelevant topics keep being applied to my posts.
Ok, fair enough, Wilson did outplay Stevens. And IMO Wilson has a major lead on her, however there are a few interesting developments I want to see:
1. Has Azura developed a strong inside game, with contact, similar to how Wilson learned to handle contact.
2. Has Z developed into a full multi-dimensional game like Stewie with 3 pt range
3. Has she developed a strong passing game, which is what UConn is known for
4. Has her cardio improved to run and play 40 minutes of motion offense and defense
If all the rumors of her improved play in practice translate onto the court, then next years game at SC will be interesting.
For all of Wilson's talents, she will never have an outside game due to her position restriction in Dawn's offensive scheme. However she could work hard in her conditioning which, I am sorry to say is lacking. If Wilson does that, she could be POY.

Reaction Score

Boredom.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
When your point is falling apart... you can always bring up a players conditioning.

It's the running theme of tBY. Pun intended.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I will be surprised, unless Gabby develops a much more reliable jump shot in her senior year, if she is even a lottery pick in 2018. I don't think it is possible to play in the paint successfully in the WNBA if you are 5-11. Who has ever done that?

On the other hand, if she does develop a really good 18-footer, then she can be a very effective 2 or 3 as a pro.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Here's my first round assuming it's only players with no eligibility left:
1. Wilson-the clear cut top prospect in the draft. Everything about her implicates that she's destined to be a great pro and a player that a franchise can build itself around.

2. Gabby Williams-the best athlete in the draft and she has improved her game at an alarming rate while at Connecticut. She needs to work on perimeter skills to realistically find similar success in the pros, but with her athleticism the sky is the limit for her.

3. Diamond Deshields-an outstanding athlete with a game that should transition well to the pros. Needs to find some team success or there will be some big red flags with her.

4. Brianna Turner-still has a ton of untouched potential. Health, physical strength as well as hands are a big question mark, but she plays good defense, has improved offensively in the post and runs the floor better than anyone else in her class.

5. Kelsey Mitchell-she might be the quickest guard in the draft and is probably the best pure scorer. In the pros she'll need to adjust to not having to create for herself as much, but she is an outstanding scorer and passer. She has potential to be a top player in the league.

6. Monique Billings-another outstanding athlete who has ample upside as a pro. I could see her developing into a Brunsonesque player over her time in the W. Great prospect.

7. Jordin Canada-maybe the top PG prospect in this WNBA class, she can create her own shot and beat anyone off the dribble. If she has a big senior season or can lead UCLA on a deep tournament run, her stock could climb even higher.

8. Jaime Nared-a really good swing forward who improved immensely from her sophomore to junior season. She has a good jumper, can score in a variety of ways, rebounds well and is capable of putting up big numbers. I think she could climb higher as long as she continues to establish herself as a primary option at Tennessee next year.

9. Lexie Brown-another really good point guard whose stock could climb with another great season. One of the best PGs in the country, Brown is an effective scorer and a proven winner. She was a vital contributor on Maryland's 2 Final Four teams and took Duke from being out of the tournament to a #2 seed.

10. Ariel Atkins-a late bloomer who is starting to come into her own, Atkins is another terrific leftie with big upside.

11. Stephanie Mavunga-another athletic forward with great upside and outstanding footwork. She's shown flashes of being a dominating post player, just needs to stay healthy at OSU.

12. Mercedes Russell-another really talented player who is starting to develop. Her post moves offensively are move improved and she has great size and hands inside. Health and quickness are her two biggest question marks right now.

13. Myisha Hines Allen-one of the better power forwards in the country who is capable of being a dominating force. An underwhelming junior season drops her a bit, but she reminds me of a Tari Phillips in her physicality and ability to hang with bigger players inside.

14. Kia Nurse-tough, hard nosed guard who will have started for 4 years under Geno. Scrappy defender, good decision maker, sometimes streaky as a shooter who is capable of getting hot from deep. Doesn't have tremendous foot speed nor has she shown much ability to create her own shot, but I think she will be a very good journey player in the W.

15. Tyler Scaife-I haven't seen a ton of her...but she's coming off an ACL and I don't think another year under Stringer will do much to help her out.

16. Victoria Vivians-Vivians has potential to be a top 5 pick. Her size and frame are ideal for an off guard in the pros. She has incredible range on her jumper and can create her own shot, but she has terrible shot selection and can disappear in games. If she becomes more selective as a shooter and improves her decision making, she could sky rocket.

17. Shakayla Thomas-fantastic athlete who needs to develop her perimeter skills to have a chance to stick.

18. Rebecca Greenwell-a good scoring forward who has consistently improved while at Duke. Not convinced she's quick enough defensively to stick in the pros, but a good showing as a 5th year senior could mean improved draft stock for her.

19. Brittany McPhee-a really good scoring guard who made big strides last year. I don't think she's going to be a great pro player but she could stick around for a few seasons.

20. Brooke McCarty-one of the more entertaining players to watch, McCarty is tough as nails and has emerged as a star at Texas. Her size and lack of foot speed mean it'll be an uphill battle for her to stick.

Other players to look out for: Kathryn Westbeld, Linnae Harper, Mariya Moore, Taya Reimer
Nice post.

Reaction Score
Sorry,
2016, Moriah is and will be 2nd pick not Wilson.
2017, Plum is and will be 1st pick not Wilson.
2018, Gabby will be 1st pick not Wilson.

These going back in time scenarios are a little bizarre, but sticking to reality. Williams would have to change positions for the WNBA. No 5'11 post players allowed. She might have to transition to a different position on next year's UConn team, so we'll see how that works out for her. As of now, Wilson as the #1 pick in 2018 is a very easy call.

Reaction Score
Ok, fair enough, Wilson did outplay Stevens. And IMO Wilson has a major lead on her, however there are a few interesting developments I want to see:
1. Has Azura developed a strong inside game, with contact, similar to how Wilson learned to handle contact.
2. Has Z developed into a full multi-dimensional game like Stewie with 3 pt range
3. Has she developed a strong passing game, which is what UConn is known for
4. Has her cardio improved to run and play 40 minutes of motion offense and defense
If all the rumors of her improved play in practice translate onto the court, then next years game at SC will be interesting.
For all of Wilson's talents, she will never have an outside game due to her position restriction in Dawn's offensive scheme. However she could work hard in her conditioning which, I am sorry to say is lacking. If Wilson does that, she could be POY.

DefenseBB- - - I agree with you a 150%! People are gearing their arguments toward Azura Stevens based on her Duke years! She has gone so far past that stage of her career, based on comments from UCONN players, coaches and media UCONN has the POY for 2018 sitting on their bench not eligible to play! Even Azura has commented that she learned how to succeed in WCBB, Duke style and has learned this past season what it takes to play up at the UCONN skill level!
She will play a style similar to Breanna Stewart, rotating from inside to outside and outside to inside, willing to take the 3 or 15' to 18' shot, then play inside as a 6'6" player. She will be 100% more aggressive with Geno and Staff pushing her every second of every game/practice!
IMO, and I know I'll be knocked for this, but I'm not impressed with Miss Wilson's play! [mod edit; player trashing] And if you think she takes contact at SoCar in WCBB, buckle your chinstrap, in the WNBA they will do EVERYTHING short of punch her in the face! All new players in the league, no matter how talented, have commented that the one thing they weren't prepared for is the physicality allowed! And the incompetent WNBA refs who wouldn't know a punch or illegal screen if it came up and slapped them!
This is like the WIZARD OF OZ, "don't look at the man behind the curtain!" What appears to be reality may not turn out to be reality!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
DefenseBB- - - I agree with you a 150%! People are gearing their arguments toward Azura Stevens based on her Duke years! She has gone so far past that stage of her career, based on comments from UConn players, coaches and media UConn has the POY for 2018 sitting on their bench not eligible to play! Even Azura has commented that she learned how to succeed in WCBB, Duke style and has learned this past season what it takes to play up at the UConn skill level!
She will play a style similar to Breanna Stewart, rotating from inside to outside and outside to inside, willing to take the 3 or 15' to 18' shot, then play inside as a 6'6" player. She will be 100% more aggressive with Geno and Staff pushing her every second of every game/practice!
IMO, and I know I'll be knocked for this, but I'm not impressed with Miss Wilson's play! And if you think she takes contact at SoCar in WCBB, buckle your chinstrap, in the WNBA they will do EVERYTHING short of punch her in the face! All new players in the league, no matter how talented, have commented that the one thing they weren't prepared for is the physicality allowed! And the incompetent WNBA refs who wouldn't know a punch or illegal screen if it came up and slapped them!
This is like the WIZARD OF OZ, "don't look at the man behind the curtain!" What appears to be reality may not turn out to be re
This has got to be the most Uconn slanted post on Aja Wilson I have ever read. First of all to assume what Azura will be based off practice reports is nonsensible at best given that Natalie Butler was supposed to solidify Uconn's post height issues this past year. Now to Wilson, not only has she been the best player in the reigning national champion team but she also represents the entire athletic department at SC on the SEC leadership council and student academic/athletic affairs council. She has always been either doubled or triple teamed in everyone of her college games to include games when she played Uconn. She has dealt with all of that in the SEC and still has managed to put up player of the year and AA American numbers. When she goes into the league double teams will not be as possible because. . X

Reaction Score
Wilson was highlighted for the way she dealt with the physical nature that Stanford tried to play her and how she still came out on top. Then is that we're not enough look at the way she physically subdued the team that outmuscled Uconn not only in the title game but two earlier games this year also. Everyone already talks about how she plays with physicality more than anyone in ththe college game and in the WNBA she will face more single coverage because of the talent around her. I understand your home team bias but Azura being picked over her is hyperbole at best. Just ask Stewie's opinion on her for who she is. Take off the blue shades

Reaction Score

You are the one who set the parameters. Your entire argument was that based on 2 head to head games it was clear that Wilson was better than Stevens. While I think that's a rather weak argument I used your own standard and responded by pointing out how Gabby Williams, a player 6" shorter than Wilson, had one of her best scoring games of the season when Wilson was trying to defend her, and also out-rebounded Wilson by a wide margin both offensively and defensively. In short, Gabby dominated A'ja. Now do I think Gabby, based of that game is going to be drafted ahead of Wilson? No. I think there's a lot more to it. But then I was just applying your standard to another match up. Or are you saying that your methodology only applies to only drawing conclusions that favor your player?

People often talk about Garnet glassss but you are using blue shaded glasses if you think gabby would go befor Wilson. Wilson not only has been an MVP on two USA gold medal squads but also she is 6'5 and extremely skilled. Though a great athlete, Gabby is playing out of position and will have to develop a consistent jumper to justify that position translating to the WNBA. Wilson on the other hand is the height for her position and brings more to a pro team. You don't find many at her height with her skills whereas Gabby will be extremely undersized at her position entering the league. She would have to switch positions which WNBA teams are skeptical of especiall with top draft picks. Aja projects as a better pro and Olympian than any in that draft. Just ask Geno.

Try comparing Gabby to DeShields . Both are projected as 2/3's as pros. While DeShields may have more flash in her game when you start looking at their skills it's easy to see that Williams is a better rebounder, a much better defensive player and a much more efficient scorer. Both players have a nice mid range shot and neither has shown to be an effective 3 point shooter. Williams is a first team AA while DeShields has yet to impress. And I doubt DeShields would have much success guarding Wilson. And yet there are people who project DeShields as a legitimate candidate for the top pick next year. Me? I say there's another season to be played. Things change.

It is the SC fans who are touting Wilson as the No 1 pick. I'm not suggesting that Williams is the best player. I'm just using the same standards that your fellow SC fan used to make their argument. Based on the same standard used for Stevens, Williams is a better player than Wilson.

You say that "Wilson not only has been an MVP on two USA gold medal squads but also she is 6'5 and extremely skilled". Yes, all that is true. But then how does she get dominated by a 5'11" college player playing out of position? I would think that a player you seem to think is destined to be considered the best player in her class by the WNBA and a future Olympian can't even keep a player 6" shorter off the boards and also gets blocked off the defensive boards by the same player? I'd expect more from a player destined for the greatness about which you talk.

You SC fans remind me of another SC fan who came on the board over three years ago before the first game in this series and carefully explained to everyone how SC's great depth on the front line would wear down the Huskies. It was so obvious to that fan. Of course we UConn fans smiled to ourselves when, with 5 minutes to go in the 1st half, the Gamecock posts were bent over and signalling the bench to take them out while the UConn starters were still running end to end like it was the first minute of the game.

And to your suggestion to ask Geno, I'm not sure but he has also said that Stevens, if she puts in the work, will be the POY.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You are the one who set the parameters. Your entire argument was that based on 2 head to head games it was clear that Wilson was better than Stevens. While I think that's a rather weak argument I used your own standard and responded by pointing out how Gabby Williams, a player 6" shorter than Wilson, had one of her best scoring games of the season when Wilson was trying to defend her, and also out-rebounded Wilson by a wide margin both offensively and defensively. In short, Gabby dominated A'ja. Now do I think Gabby, based of that game is going to be drafted ahead of Wilson? No. I think there's a lot more to it. But then I was just applying your standard to another match up. Or are you saying that your methodology only applies to only drawing conclusions that favor your player?

You're so exhausting.

"While I think that's a rather weak argument..."

Using head to head stats to compare the performance of two players is the go-to solution for the statistic-loving Boneyard, but in this case.. it's a "weak argument"... Please, spare me.

I'm still trying to figure out why Gabby Williams is being discussed here.. especially when me and the other posters were discussing Azura Stevens vs. A'ja Wilson, two post players.... not wing players, not wing-forwards, no.. two post players were being compared to one another.

YOUinserted Gabby Williams into a completely different conversation just to prove a point and "get a win"....

You've made your point, however unnecessary it was. It's Sunday, a day or rest according to how I was raised and I'm way too exhausted of you to continue this any further.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Moving along...... I posted this in another thread...... minus well post it here

Im assuming no (RS) juniors leave early.... and I assume that Turner will miss the entire season with injury and return to ND for 2018-19.

That being said... lemme take a shot

1) Aja Wilson
2) Monique Billings
3) Diamond Deshields
4) G. Williams (UConn)
5) Kelsey Mitchell
6) Lexie Brown
7) Jordin Canada
8) Mercedes Russell
9) Kia Nurse
10)Jamie Nared
11) Mysheia Hines-Allen
12) Rebecca Greenwell

1) makes me wish I would have paid more attention to that UCLA-Little Carolina game earlier in the season to see how Billings matched up with the Wilson-Coates duo.

2) Didnt see the UCLA-UCONN game.... but I guess if Williams had better stats than Billings..... then obviously I should have her higher in my mock draft :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::p:p:cool::cool:;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Moving along. I posted this in another thread. minus well post it here

1) makes me wish I would have paid more attention to that UCLA-Little Carolina game earlier in the season to see how Billings matched up with the Wilson-Coates duo.

2) Didnt see the UCLA-UConn game.... but I guess if Williams had better stats than Billings..... then obviously I should have her higher in my mock draft :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::p:p:cool::cool:;)

Lets just say, I'm very happy we got out of that game with the win. Once Billings gets a better handle for the game she's going to be TOUGH... she played very well versus our front court.

Reaction Score

Try comparing Gabby to DeShields . Both are projected as 2/3's as pros. While DeShields may have more flash in her game when you start looking at their skills it's easy to see that Williams is a better rebounder, a much better defensive player and a much more efficient scorer. Both players have a nice mid range shot and neither has shown to be an effective 3 point shooter. Williams is a first team AA while DeShields has yet to impress. And I doubt DeShields would have much success guarding Wilson. And yet there are people who project DeShields as a legitimate candidate for the top pick next year. Me? I say there's another season to be played. Things change.

It is the SC fans who are touting Wilson as the No 1 pick. I'm not suggesting that Williams is the best player. I'm just using the same standards that your fellow SC fan used to make their argument. Based on the same standard used for Stevens, Williams is a better player than Wilson.

You say that "Wilson not only has been an MVP on two USA gold medal squads but also she is 6'5 and extremely skilled". Yes, all that is true. But then how does she get dominated by a 5'11" college player playing out of position? I would think that a player you seem to think is destined to be considered the best player in her class by the WNBA and a future Olympian can't even keep a player 6" shorter off the boards and also gets blocked off the defensive boards by the same player? I'd expect more from a player destined for the greatness about which you talk.

You SC fans remind me of another SC fan who came on the board over three years ago before the first game in this series and carefully explained to everyone how SC's great depth on the front line would wear down the Huskies. It was so obvious to that fan. Of course we UConn fans smiled to ourselves when, with 5 minutes to go in the 1st half, the Gamecock posts were bent over and signalling the bench to take them out while the UConn starters were still running end to end like it was the first minute of the game.

And to your suggestion to ask Geno, I'm not sure but he has also said that Stevens, if she puts in the work, will be the POY.
This is comical. The people who are putting Wilson as the #1 pick and future Olympian are the basketball experts to include some of your ex UConn alumni. You can discount every SC fan's prediction and just look at he comments of the experts and WNBA GMs. Look, Gabby is a great player but at 5'11 forward, you cannot build a franchise around her. Wilson is a rare talent in a 6'5 frame. Like a 7' foot center in the NBA . Azura, until proven is a more of a faceup 6'6 player who has yet to prove she is physical enough to handle the wars down below. As much as you all ridicule Dawn's use of Aja, it will serve her well in the league. And also for a little clarity, go back and watch the games with UConn. Geno always doubled down on Wilson as he layed off the point guards of SC. This will not be possible in the league thus she has the chance to become even more effective. Azura did not draw those double teams. Makes on ask the question why?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the posters who are contending that Azura would be drafted higher than A'ja Wilson are also among those who say that Crystal will be a starter and Azura will come off the bench.

I'm too lazy to go back to the "Who Will Start?" threads and take names that I could compare to those in this thread, but I wouldn't be surprised.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This has got to be the most UConn slanted post on Aja Wilson I have ever read.
That because you have only been signed up for a little over a month now. You ain't read nothing yet. There was that whole thing about A'ja rolling her shorts. There was that other thing about she would never win a championship. Then my all time favorite was the over analysis of the tension in the finger of her father (Roscoe) pointing at Stewie after UCONN beat down SC.
img_20150213_042329-jpg.8488

Reaction Score
This is comical. The people who are putting Wilson as the #1 pick and future Olympian are the basketball experts to include some of your ex UConn alumni. You can discount every SC fan's prediction and just look at he comments of the experts and WNBA GMs. Look, Gabby is a great player but at 5'11 forward, you cannot build a franchise around her. Wilson is a rare talent in a 6'5 frame. Like a 7' foot center in the NBA . Azura, until proven is a more of a faceup 6'6 player who has yet to prove she is physical enough to handle the wars down below. As much as you all ridicule Dawn's use of Aja, it will serve her well in the league. And also for a little clarity, go back and watch the games with UConn. Geno always doubled down on Wilson as he layed off the point guards of SC. This will not be possible in the league thus she has the chance to become even more effective. Azura did not draw those double teams. Makes on ask the question why?

When you respond to one of my posts try responding to me and me alone. I take no responsibility for what my fellow Husky fans think or say. I often disagree with them. I have never ridiculed either Wilson or Staley. When Wilson picked SC I wasn't among those who suddenly had negative things to say. And I've never said one negative word against Dawn. I speak for myself. Where do you get the right to say to me "As much as you all ridicule Dawn's use of Aja"? Generalizing about a group of people based on a shared characteristic is prejudicial bigotry. Do you also think all UConn fans look alike?

For the umpteenth time, I make no predictions or judgments on who will be the No 1 pick nor who will be considered the best player. It was a Gamecock fan who, based on two head to head match ups alone made a judgement. And that is all I objected to and still object to. I'm sure that next February I will read posts that match UConn's starters with SC's starters and make conclusions based on this sort of "tale of the tape" analysis. But games aren't 5 individual contests (unless your team is Tenn). And to pluck the stats of 2 players out of a box score and make a broad judgement about the two players is simplistic. I did it with Williams and Wilson to make a point, not to draw a conclusion. I agree that UConn helped with Wilson. But the fact remains that she has never had what would be described as anything close to a "great" game against UConn. In fact UConn has succeeded in neutralizing her for 3 years. And if a college team can neutralize her how can you suggest that she is a "franchise type" pro prospect. A lot of what creates that type of player comes from their heart and their will, not from a tape measure. Griner, at 6'8", was a much more dominant college player than Wilson has been but her first few years at Phoenix weren't very dominant and the franchise player on that team is still Taurasi, who I might add is a mere 6'1". Another franchise player was Catchings, who was maybe 6'2" and who was one of the best ever. And she did it with heart and will. Even Stewart didn't really display total dominance in college until her senior year. So I'll wait a while before I anoint Wilson. You of course can do as you like.

Let's wait till next February and hope that both teams are 100% healthy. To loosely quote Kasper Gutman, an ounce of actual competition is worth more than a ton of talk.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For the umpteenth time, I make no predictions or judgments on who will be the No 1 pick nor who will be considered the best player. It was a Gamecock fan who, based on two head to head match ups alone made a judgement.

Of course you did. Right here!:eek:

If head to head stats correlate to draft position then Gabby Williams will certainly be picked ahead of Wilson based on last season's match up where Williams put up 26 pts & 14 rebounds (6 offensive) to Wilson's 17 pts & 5 rebounds (1 offensive).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom