2018 WNBA Mock Draft | The Boneyard

2018 WNBA Mock Draft

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There is no way teams would take Russell (listed as a 6'0" Center hahahaha) over Azura Stevens. If Stevens leaves early she would be a top 4 selection. They also have Vivians as a Mississippi player and not Mississippi State.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn will have more than 2. Is KLS even eligible?
No. You have to be 22, or 4 years removed from HS, or have earned your degree, or have used up all your eligibility, none of which applies to Lou.

Reaction Score
Azura the first pick in the second round? Katie Lou and Napheesa entering the draft? When did Mercedes Russell shrink 6 inches? After this year, if Azura did declare she was leaving early, she would be the first pick. She's more athletic, a better shooter and a better ball handler than Wilson. Waste of time mock draft; there are too many unknowns.

Reaction Score
Azura the first pick in the second round? Katie Lou and Napheesa entering the draft? When did Mercedes Russell shrink 6 inches? After this year, if Azura did declare she was leaving early, she would be the first pick. She's more athletic, a better shooter and a better ball handler than Wilson. Waste of time mock draft; there are too many unknowns.
You can't be serious about that last statement regarding Azura. Wilson is the obvious #1 choice and it is not even close. I know we can choose to favor players on our teams that we root for, but Wilson has shown in multiple games that she struggles playing against and guarding Wilson.

Reaction Score
No. You have to be 22, or 4 years removed from HS, or have earned your degree, or have used up all your eligibility, none of which applies to Lou.

You guys try to complicate things too much. If she's born in 1996 or earlier, she's eligible. It's as simple as that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You guys try to complicate things too much. If she's born in 1996 or earlier, she's eligible. It's as simple as that.
I'm simply citing the WNBA policy on eligibility. Furthermore, without "complicating things too much," the policy clearly allows for players to be eligible for the draft if they were born after 1996, provided they meet one of the other criteria I cited.

Reaction Score
Also, they don't have to be 22 at draft time, only during the year of the draft.

Reaction Score

You guys try to complicate things too much. If she's born in 1996 or earlier, she's eligible. It's as simple as that
I'm simply citing the WNBA policy on eligibility. Furthermore, without "complicating things too much," the policy clearly allows for players to be eligible for the draft if they were born after 1996, provided they meet one of the other criteria I cited.

But what scenios are you covering other than ones that never happen, like maybe graduating high school at age 16 or younger, or finishing your 4 year degree in 3 years or less. Kelsey Mitchell was close to graduating in 3 years, so I guess you can never say never, but it turns out she qualified to declare on virtue of age.... and she still didn't declare.

Keeping it simple has always worked for me. For the 2018 draft, if you're born in 1996 or earlier, you qualify to declare early. For the 2019 draft, qualify if born in 1997, and so on....

Anyway, by virtue of age, Katie Lou Samuelson does not qualify to declare early for the 2018 draft. Collier was born in 1996. She qualifies to declare early.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious about that last statement regarding Azura. Wilson is the obvious #1 choice and it is not even close. I know we can choose to favor players on our teams that we root for, but Wilson has shown in multiple games that she struggles playing against and guarding Wilson.

Exactly I understand she's on a great team with a great coach but the last time Wilson and Stevens played Aja took her to the woodshed. 28 points 11 rebounds and 6 block to Stevens 11 points 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. She seems to play better on the wing then inside because she got out muscled every time down low versus Aja!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Exactly I understand she's on a great team with a great coach but the last time Wilson and Stevens played Aja took her to the woodshed. 28 points 11 rebounds and 6 block to Stevens 11 points 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. She seems to play better on the wing then inside because she got out muscled every time down low versus Aja!

I'm looking forward to the rematch of Wilson vs. Stevens in Columbia. Wilson won handedly BOTH times prior so I'm not sure why people keep saying Stevens is better when the results are right in your face. Either way, we will get to see them face off again.. so it'll be decided for us, again. I expect an improved Stevens, but then again.. A'ja is also very much improved.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting only as a chance to look at the talent lined up to leave school - the order of picks is meaningless as are the teams making those picks.

And yeah - no way do I see either Napheesa or Lou leaving early even if they could. And I will not be surprised to see Azura stay as well. I think she made that tentative commitment to Geno when she came and without a ticking time bomb regarding her health I suspect she stays. I would be less surprised if Camara left at the same time she does after the 18/19 season (come in together, leave together.)

Agree about Nared - thought she was the best player for TN by a wide margin.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here's my first round assuming it's only players with no eligibility left:
1. Wilson-the clear cut top prospect in the draft. Everything about her implicates that she's destined to be a great pro and a player that a franchise can build itself around.

2. Gabby Williams-the best athlete in the draft and she has improved her game at an alarming rate while at Connecticut. She needs to work on perimeter skills to realistically find similar success in the pros, but with her athleticism the sky is the limit for her.

3. Diamond Deshields-an outstanding athlete with a game that should transition well to the pros. Needs to find some team success or there will be some big red flags with her.

4. Brianna Turner-still has a ton of untouched potential. Health, physical strength as well as hands are a big question mark, but she plays good defense, has improved offensively in the post and runs the floor better than anyone else in her class.

5. Kelsey Mitchell-she might be the quickest guard in the draft and is probably the best pure scorer. In the pros she'll need to adjust to not having to create for herself as much, but she is an outstanding scorer and passer. She has potential to be a top player in the league.

6. Monique Billings-another outstanding athlete who has ample upside as a pro. I could see her developing into a Brunsonesque player over her time in the W. Great prospect.

7. Jordin Canada-maybe the top PG prospect in this WNBA class, she can create her own shot and beat anyone off the dribble. If she has a big senior season or can lead UCLA on a deep tournament run, her stock could climb even higher.

8. Jaime Nared-a really good swing forward who improved immensely from her sophomore to junior season. She has a good jumper, can score in a variety of ways, rebounds well and is capable of putting up big numbers. I think she could climb higher as long as she continues to establish herself as a primary option at Tennessee next year.

9. Lexie Brown-another really good point guard whose stock could climb with another great season. One of the best PGs in the country, Brown is an effective scorer and a proven winner. She was a vital contributor on Maryland's 2 Final Four teams and took Duke from being out of the tournament to a #2 seed.

10. Ariel Atkins-a late bloomer who is starting to come into her own, Atkins is another terrific leftie with big upside.

11. Stephanie Mavunga-another athletic forward with great upside and outstanding footwork. She's shown flashes of being a dominating post player, just needs to stay healthy at OSU.

12. Mercedes Russell-another really talented player who is starting to develop. Her post moves offensively are move improved and she has great size and hands inside. Health and quickness are her two biggest question marks right now.

13. Myisha Hines Allen-one of the better power forwards in the country who is capable of being a dominating force. An underwhelming junior season drops her a bit, but she reminds me of a Tari Phillips in her physicality and ability to hang with bigger players inside.

14. Kia Nurse-tough, hard nosed guard who will have started for 4 years under Geno. Scrappy defender, good decision maker, sometimes streaky as a shooter who is capable of getting hot from deep. Doesn't have tremendous foot speed nor has she shown much ability to create her own shot, but I think she will be a very good journey player in the W.

15. Tyler Scaife-I haven't seen a ton of her...but she's coming off an ACL and I don't think another year under Stringer will do much to help her out.

16. Victoria Vivians-Vivians has potential to be a top 5 pick. Her size and frame are ideal for an off guard in the pros. She has incredible range on her jumper and can create her own shot, but she has terrible shot selection and can disappear in games. If she becomes more selective as a shooter and improves her decision making, she could sky rocket.

17. Shakayla Thomas-fantastic athlete who needs to develop her perimeter skills to have a chance to stick.

18. Rebecca Greenwell-a good scoring forward who has consistently improved while at Duke. Not convinced she's quick enough defensively to stick in the pros, but a good showing as a 5th year senior could mean improved draft stock for her.

19. Brittany McPhee-a really good scoring guard who made big strides last year. I don't think she's going to be a great pro player but she could stick around for a few seasons.

20. Brooke McCarty-one of the more entertaining players to watch, McCarty is tough as nails and has emerged as a star at Texas. Her size and lack of foot speed mean it'll be an uphill battle for her to stick.

Other players to look out for: Kathryn Westbeld, Linnae Harper, Mariya Moore, Taya Reimer

Reaction Score

You guys try to complicate things too much. If she's born in 1996 or earlier, she's eligible. It's as simple as that

But what scenios are you covering other than ones that never happen, like maybe graduating high school at age 16 or younger, or finishing your 4 year degree in 3 years or less. Kelsey Mitchell was close to graduating in 3 years, so I guess you can never say never, but it turns out she qualified to declare on virtue of age.... and she still didn't declare.

Keeping it simple has always worked for me. For the 2018 draft, if you're born in 1996 or earlier, you qualify to declare early. For the 2019 draft, qualify if born in 1997, and so on....

Anyway, by virtue of age, Katie Lou Samuelson does not qualify to declare early for the 2018 draft. Collier was born in 1996. She qualifies to declare early.
Here's my first round assuming it's only players with no eligibility left:
1. Wilson-the clear cut top prospect in the draft. Everything about her implicates that she's destined to be a great pro and a player that a franchise can build itself around.

2. Gabby Williams-the best athlete in the draft and she has improved her game at an alarming rate while at Connecticut. She needs to work on perimeter skills to realistically find similar success in the pros, but with her athleticism the sky is the limit for her.

3. Diamond Deshields-an outstanding athlete with a game that should transition well to the pros. Needs to find some team success or there will be some big red flags with her.

4. Brianna Turner-still has a ton of untouched potential. Health, physical strength as well as hands are a big question mark, but she plays good defense, has improved offensively in the post and runs the floor better than anyone else in her class.

5. Kelsey Mitchell-she might be the quickest guard in the draft and is probably the best pure scorer. In the pros she'll need to adjust to not having to create for herself as much, but she is an outstanding scorer and passer. She has potential to be a top player in the league.

6. Monique Billings-another outstanding athlete who has ample upside as a pro. I could see her developing into a Brunsonesque player over her time in the W. Great prospect.

7. Jordin Canada-maybe the top PG prospect in this WNBA class, she can create her own shot and beat anyone off the dribble. If she has a big senior season or can lead UCLA on a deep tournament run, her stock could climb even higher.

8. Jaime Nared-a really good swing forward who improved immensely from her sophomore to junior season. She has a good jumper, can score in a variety of ways, rebounds well and is capable of putting up big numbers. I think she could climb higher as long as she continues to establish herself as a primary option at Tennessee next year.

9. Lexie Brown-another really good point guard whose stock could climb with another great season. One of the best PGs in the country, Brown is an effective scorer and a proven winner. She was a vital contributor on Maryland's 2 Final Four teams and took Duke from being out of the tournament to a #2 seed.

10. Ariel Atkins-a late bloomer who is starting to come into her own, Atkins is another terrific leftie with big upside.

11. Stephanie Mavunga-another athletic forward with great upside and outstanding footwork. She's shown flashes of being a dominating post player, just needs to stay healthy at OSU.

12. Mercedes Russell-another really talented player who is starting to develop. Her post moves offensively are move improved and she has great size and hands inside. Health and quickness are her two biggest question marks right now.

13. Myisha Hines Allen-one of the better power forwards in the country who is capable of being a dominating force. An underwhelming junior season drops her a bit, but she reminds me of a Tari Phillips in her physicality and ability to hang with bigger players inside.

14. Kia Nurse-tough, hard nosed guard who will have started for 4 years under Geno. Scrappy defender, good decision maker, sometimes streaky as a shooter who is capable of getting hot from deep. Doesn't have tremendous foot speed nor has she shown much ability to create her own shot, but I think she will be a very good journey player in the W.

15. Tyler Scaife-I haven't seen a ton of her...but she's coming off an ACL and I don't think another year under Stringer will do much to help her out.

16. Victoria Vivians-Vivians has potential to be a top 5 pick. Her size and frame are ideal for an off guard in the pros. She has incredible range on her jumper and can create her own shot, but she has terrible shot selection and can disappear in games. If she becomes more selective as a shooter and improves her decision making, she could sky rocket.

17. Shakayla Thomas-fantastic athlete who needs to develop her perimeter skills to have a chance to stick.

18. Rebecca Greenwell-a good scoring forward who has consistently improved while at Duke. Not convinced she's quick enough defensively to stick in the pros, but a good showing as a 5th year senior could mean improved draft stock for her.

19. Brittany McPhee-a really good scoring guard who made big strides last year. I don't think she's going to be a great pro player but she could stick around for a few seasons.

20. Brooke McCarty-one of the more entertaining players to watch, McCarty is tough as nails and has emerged as a star at Texas. Her size and lack of foot speed mean it'll be an uphill battle for her to stick.

Other players to look out for: Kathryn Westbeld, Linnae Harper, Mariya Moore, Taya Reimer

Mariya Moore should be good in the WNBA. Very chippy.

No love for Morgan William, the UConn killer? That should raise her stock for the rest of her career.

McCowan from Mississippi St is like the next Fowles.

There's also a prominent Russian player who qualifies for drafting in 2018 called Vadeeva.

Reaction Score
You're referring to the Duke Azura, not the UCONN Azura you'll be seeing after a year with Geno & staff.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Mariya Moore should be good in the WNBA. Very chippy.

No love for Morgan William, the UConn killer? That should raise her stock for the rest of her career.

McCowan from Mississippi St is like the next Fowles.

There's also a prominent Russian player who qualifies for drafting in 2018 called Vadeeva.

McCowan is more like Mercedes Russell than Sylvia Fowles. And she's 2019. She doesn't have great coordination and isn't very athletic. Her size makes her intriguing though. Let's see what she does the next two years. She's in the same class as Kalani Brown who may be the best prospect in the 2019 draft and who dominated her team to head in the NCAA tournament.

Williams should be in the "others to watch" category. At 5-2 without a ton of scoring prowess (besides the random outburst vs Baylor) means she has an uphill battle.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just as a side note, I'm not sure that Azura would even guard Wilson, or vice versa. A lot will depend on the kind of offense and defense each team runs. If Azura plays more on the wing while Williams and Collier flourish in the post, you won't see Wilson come out to the 3 point line to continuously defend Stevens (IMHO). Guarding Wilson will be another story - she's big and strong, but Gabby and Napheesa handled her this past year so who knows?

With what SC lost, I think they will be on the lower end of the top 10 this year (maybe somewhere between 6-10) and it's doubtful they will stay within 15-20 points of UCONN next season. Never too early for smack talk, eh?!!

Reaction Score
Just as a side note, I'm not sure that Azura would even guard Wilson, or vice versa. A lot will depend on the kind of offense and defense each team runs. If Azura plays more on the wing while Williams and Collier flourish in the post, you won't see Wilson come out to the 3 point line to continuously defend Stevens (IMHO). Guarding Wilson will be another story - she's big and strong, but Gabby and Napheesa handled her this past year so who knows?

With what SC lost, I think they will be on the lower end of the top 10 this year (maybe somewhere between 6-10) and it's doubtful they will stay within 15-20 points of UConn next season. Never too early for smack talk, eh?!!

Well they handled her in a zone. Wilson couldn't guard Gabby or Napheesa because they were quicker but They couldn't guard A'ja either because she is strong and could shoot over the top of both. Had SC guards made a couple 3 three point shots and drove to the whole a little more idk if UCONN would have had an answer for her. She was 5-5 with 12 points in the first half. Every ball she caught down low 3 and 4 players instantly draped around her making all of her shots difficult.

I'm hoping for a different story this year with more versatile wings and forwards SC should be able to defend Collier and Williams better. I'm content on Nurse and Samuelson not being able to create their own shots. In the Miss St game they both didn't handle the pressure well, if Cuevas-Moore, Harris, and Cliney can put pressure on I like our chances. Expect to see a different Harris at the pg position as well. A lot of teams played off her because they thought she doesn't have an offensive game but I can assure you she does and it came on late in the season. She and Cuevas can really take the pressure off A'ja and Alexis with their improved offensive games. I'm so ready for the season I can't hide my excitement. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom