2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 39 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
(trust me, I've tried w/o success).
<--I should have know you would and well - that pretty much proves they have an agenda. Nevertheless, it is something we should continue to try to correct any reasonable way possible. Too many players, parents, hs coaches and news media just look to 247 these days to get info and we should do what we can to correct bad info.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are correct that one of the biggest challenges for the big-time schools, especially in the south, is trying to predict physical maturity levels and continued potential for development of prospects that in some cases are already pushing 19 years old and have been hitting the weight room and playing football since they were young kids. Reaching full potential early is the reason for many 4 and 5 star flops.

Conversely, when recruiting in the northeast there are fewer kids that have been held back a year so they are truly 17 year old players with a decent amount of growth potential. This is especially true for OLs where young kids are growing into their 6'5"+ frame. In the NE some of the better OL prospects played hoops for years and are late bloomers on the football field. Edsall understands this and it is why his goal is to red-shirt as many kids as possible. Bringing in the JUCO guy(s) is huge in allowing players time to physically develop. I don't think Diaco ever understood this aspect of recruiting at UConn.

Totally agree.

And kids developing on the field (ie playing time) and late bloomers is what keeps college football full of surprises.

Reaction Score
Totally agree.

And kids developing on the field (ie playing time) and late bloomers is what keeps college football full of surprises.
But you keep using the two terms separately, hidden gems and players that haven't reached their potential are in the same category. They're not hidden simply because they don't have film. They get overlooked because they don't have the experience, like the big OL kids that played basketball, or the slightly undersized kid that grows into their frames with the proper coaching and weight program. They're the same thing and there are still plenty of them out there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But you keep using the two terms separately, hidden gems and players that haven't reached their potential are in the same category. They're not hidden simply because they don't have film. They get overlooked because they don't have the experience, like the big OL kids that played basketball, or the slightly undersized kid that grows into their frames with the proper coaching and weight program. They're the same thing and there are still plenty of them out there.

I actually think they are different.

To me a hidden gem is someone with tremendous athleticism that is evident now but they play in a small school program (class S), under funded urban program or a private school conf that is not well respected or they were injured - so there is limited tape. A hidden gem is sometimes undersized by ideal standards. Late bloomers are kids that show very little on tape right now because they have not physically grown into their bodies, or just started playing recently or perhaps coached very poorly. To me our commit Morrison is a hidden gem. I thought the same of Burnett and Brown in last year's recruiting class - great athletes playing in lesser leagues. At the OL position we have rarely recruited anything but what I would call guys we are betting are late bloomers and some of them never bloomed. On the other hand, you might be able to say Schafencker was one of those early peak guys.

Circling back, I think there are fewer hidden gems. As for late bloomers, that is a calculated crap shoot and Edsall is above average in rolling the dice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually think they are different.

To me a hidden gem is someone with tremendous athleticism that is evident now but they play in a small school program (class S), under funded urban program or a private school conf that is not well respected or they were injured - so there is limited tape. A hidden gem is sometimes undersized by ideal standards. Late bloomers are kids that show very little on tape right now because they have not physically grown into their bodies, or just started playing recently or perhaps coached very poorly. To me our commit Morrison is a hidden gem. I thought the same of Burnett and Brown in last year's recruiting class - great athletes playing in lesser leagues. At the OL position we have rarely recruited anything but what I would call guys we are betting are late bloomers and some of them never bloomed. On the other hand, you might be able to say Schafencker was one of those early peak guys.

Circling back, I think there are fewer hidden gems. As for late bloomers, that is a calculated crap shoot and Edsall is above average in rolling the dice.
I'm not saying that those are the only categories that fall into the "hidden gem" but I would definitely disagree that late bloomers don't fall into that category. I think it actually fits more to the definition; you can see the potential in them, it's hidden to most right now because if they don't fit the prototype then they don't waste their time recruiting them. A good recruiter for us has to have an eye for the hidden potential in these kids.

Reaction Score
Zavier Scott is making an official visit. 6 ft 2 200 lb WR/DB who was clocked running a 4.37 40

All you add by saying he was "clocked running a 4.37 40" is the inescapable conclusion that someone either needs a new clock or needs to be able to operate the one he has.

Reaction Score
<--I should have know you would and well - that pretty much proves they have an agenda. Nevertheless, it is something we should continue to try to correct any reasonable way possible. Too many players, parents, hs coaches and news media just look to 247 these days to get info and we should do what we can to correct bad info.

Their agenda is to make money. Not sure why that would be viewed as sinister. The only question is why you'd care so much that someone in business to make money may not be impartial.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Their agenda is to make money. Not sure why that would be viewed as sinister. The only question is why you'd care so much that someone in business to make money may not be impartial.

I've never said anything to the contrary that its a business and businesses will invest/serve those that yield results. These are the same old conversations here about recruiting services.

Let's get back to the beginning when I posed a question if anyone had bothered to notifying 247 to which huskymedic confirmed that he has and its been ignored. Okay, thats bothersome to me, but answers the question. Do I think its been ignored on purpose? Yes. Do I think 247 wakes up in the morning to screw UConn? of course not. But if a UConn guy/gal was covering the northeast for 247, I would bet that provided the subscription rate was low, he/she would enjoy ignoring Temple/Rutty/etc. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles on this kind of thing.

Reaction Score
All you add by saying he was "clocked running a 4.37 40" is the inescapable conclusion that someone either needs a new clock or needs to be able to operate the one he has.

FWIW (and I could be missing your point) - It has been widely reported that he ran a 4.38 - 40 @ the Ohio State Camp he attended and won the fastest man competition (30yd dash and 60yd shuttle) @ the Michigan Camp he attended in June. Ran an verified 11:00 and a 11.09 (FAT) 100m @ meets in Germany. He's got wheels it would appear.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
FWIW (and I could be missing your point) - It has been widely reported that he ran a 4.38 - 40 @ the Ohio State Camp he attended and won the fastest man competition (30yd dash and 60yd shuttle) @ the Michigan Camp he attended in June. Ran an verified 11:00 and a 11.09 (FAT) 100m @ meets in Germany. He's got wheels it would appear.

Incredible info - because w/o it I was thinking the same as Biz.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
And can someone like Drew who is handy with twitter spoon feed 247sports to get all our FB commits acknowledged. Banks, Jones, Robinson, Morrison and Gilepsie should be posted by now.

Maybe the door to open is to spoon feed alex gleitman who seems to cover the east for 247.
Alex Gleitman (@alexgleitman) | Twitter

direct message sent.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I hear you Biz, and yeah, I had the same #s as Medic and was aware that they were taken from OSU and Michigan. I was just typing on my phone and multi tasking, not really thinking about how things were worded

Reaction Score
OMG Really this post again UConn's recruiting history? Just copy and save so you are ready to post it three more times this fall.

As for hidden kids, it will take 5 to 10 years to prove out, but I think the idea of hidden kids will be less likely going forward. The secret sauce of hidden kids in the 2000s was the lack of video and that has melted away. Tons of video now on all the kids. Instead it will be more about late bloomers. Kids that frankly were not special in high school who continue to grow in college to a much higher ceiling than any person could have reasonably predicted (and that is a calculated crap shoot). Conversely, you have kids that mature early, dominate as Juniors in HS, but failed to develop much further and so by the time they are 21 they aren't as special. The big programs have this problem, picking too many kids that peak early.

Disagree

Reaction Score
StorrsCentral: 3-star DL prospect Damion Daley discussed his rising interest in #UConn

>>He first came into contact with a few months ago UConn when running backs coach Terry Richardson visited his team.
“We have a lot of things in common,” Daley said about Richardson. “We’re both from the same spot in Florida and we both approach life with the same attitude.”

Before the meeting, Daley admitted he didn’t know much about UConn. However, that’s changed in recent weeks. “I learned that under this coaching staff a couple years ago they were real successful,” said Daley. “They went to a couple of bowl games and won some against teams like South Carolina.”>>

Reaction Score
Richie Schnyderite‏ @RichieSRivals 6m 6 minutes ago
#Rutgers moves into the top 3 for one of New York's top DBs in 2018 @ShamelLazarus1: #RU #AshEra #RFootball

>>“As of now, my top three is UConn, Purdue, and Rutgers,” Lazarus said. “I have a feeling a few more schools might offer very soon though; maybe Pitt or Temple next.” Lazarus went through each school in his top three and mentioned they have made an impression..

Purdue: “I liked that they gave me a shot. They took a chance on me by giving me my first offer. Also, they are a real good school for my intended major."
Rutgers: “They’ve been recruiting me since I was a sophomore. They also have a good relationship with my high school coach. I know they would take care of me as a player, along with a couple of other things.”
UConn: “They have a real family like atmosphere from the moment you step in the building. All the coaches up there show me so much love when I’m there. They definitely are people that I can trust my future with.”.<<

Richie Schnyderite‏ @RichieSRivals 9m 9 minutes ago
One of #UConn's top DB targets is set to visit campus tomorrow #impaCT18 #REStorred

Reaction Score
Official visit on Thursday (6/13)

MathiasTorpPPI‏ @MathiasHT 20m 20 minutes ago
@StorrsCentral @UConnFootball @UConnRecruiting @UConnFootball is hosting another European with @PPIRecruits #PPIntl
www.ppirecruits.com/welschof-UConn

Julius Welschof is a 6-6 250lb DE/TE from Munich, Germany.
Offers from EMU, ODU, Rutgers, Temple, Towson, UCF, and UMass. Class of 2018 (but there is a story out there that says he is technically available for 2017)

Story on Michigan Camp visit (includes info on Zavier Scott as well).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Richie Schnyderite‏ @RichieSRivals 6m 6 minutes ago
#Rutgers moves into the top 3 for one of New York's top DBs in 2018 @ShamelLazarus1: #RU #AshEra #RFootball

>>“As of now, my top three is UConn, Purdue, and Rutgers,” Lazarus said. “I have a feeling a few more schools might offer very soon though; maybe Pitt or Temple next.” Lazarus went through each school in his top three and mentioned they have made an impression..

Purdue: “I liked that they gave me a shot. They took a chance on me by giving me my first offer. Also, they are a real good school for my intended major."
Rutgers: “They’ve been recruiting me since I was a sophomore. They also have a good relationship with my high school coach. I know they would take care of me as a player, along with a couple of other things.”
UConn: “They have a real family like atmosphere from the moment you step in the building. All the coaches up there show me so much love when I’m there. They definitely are people that I can trust my future with.”.<<

Shamel Lazarus‏ @ShamelLazarus1 6m 6 minutes ago
Had a Great Visit at Uconn Today @CoachCCox @JonathanWholley

Reaction Score

Storrs Central‏ @StorrsCentral 7m 7 minutes ago
NY DB Shamel Lazarus (@ShamelLazarus1) recaps his recent visit to #UConn

>>One thing that stood out to Lazarus during the trip was the talk he had with two of the staff’s assistants."I mostly hung out with coaches Cox and Wholley. They are real believers in my game and they think I can have a big impact early. They told me that they are 100% sure that I'm the guy,” said Lazarus.<<

>>“UConn is currently very high on my list. I would like to finish my visits first, before I make my final decision. I’m visiting Boston College next Tuesday and Pittsburgh and Rutgers the following week,”Lazarus said.<<

Reaction Score
HuskyMed, it looks like Mataeo Durant has committed to Duke per 247...

Reaction Score
Storrs Central‏ @StorrsCentral 7m 7 minutes ago
NY DB Shamel Lazarus (@ShamelLazarus1) recaps his recent visit to #UConn

>>One thing that stood out to Lazarus during the trip was the talk he had with two of the staff’s assistants."I mostly hung out with coaches Cox and Wholley. They are real believers in my game and they think I can have a big impact early. They told me that they are 100% sure that I'm the guy,” said Lazarus.<<

>>“UConn is currently very high on my list. I would like to finish my visits first, before I make my final decision. I’m visiting Boston College next Tuesday and Pittsburgh and Rutgers the following week,”Lazarus said.<<
love this kid's length.. With solid technique he'd be one solid cover corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom