2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 36 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of you guys said - when WE had 2 commitments - and it was early May that we weren't doing well. Moaning ... like a CT person often does.

I said: we will have 9 to 14 commitments by Sept 1. Depending on how you count Mensah and Sterling (and they should count as this latest staff and for our coming year) ... we are 8 (10) now. I look forward to plugging a GREAT OLine set in and some fierce DLine. I think we are ahead of what a normal Edsall year was like ... and we have a good set of assistants for recruiting. Wholley, ASmith, Cox. I continue to be excited going forward.

Reaction Score
Jalin Cooper‏ @jalin_cooper 23m 23 minutes ago
After a lot of thinking here's my top 5
020.jpg

ICYMI: Jalin Cooper is a 6-4 180lb WR from Medina High School in Medina New York. Has been on campus a few times. Other offers now include:Army, Buffalo, Robert Morris, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Toledo, Wake Forest, Washington St and BC

Jalin Cooper‏ @jalin_cooper 17m 17 minutes ago
Had an amazing unofficial visit today at Washington State #PAC12

Due to commit on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Huskymed, it looks like Camren McDonald committed to USC last night...

Reaction Score
While I have faith in the renewed coaching staff and I am willing to give the process a chance, I am a little concerned that 6 of the 8 recruits are basic unknowns in the various recruit rating services. I do believe in Coach's' ability to identify unknown talent 75% from that pool ???

Reaction Score
While I have faith in the renewed coaching staff and I am willing to give the process a chance, I am a little concerned that 6 of the 8 recruits are basic unknowns in the various recruit rating services. I do believe in Coach's' ability to identify unknown talent 75% from that pool ???

Basically: Screw the recruiting services. Trust in HCRE & Staff. Those of us who remember helicopter man have had enough of those smarmy & lazy know it alls.

Reaction Score

If you want to play big time football, you deff need to recruit big time 3 to 4* players. However, selling UConn to those kind of players is difficult. We need to recruit smart and win more and those recruits will come eventually.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

While I share your concerns, it will be hard to recruit those kids with 5+ other P5 offers until kids see the new product on the field.

Play better football this fall and look to scoop up the late bloomers in December.

Reaction Score
Given HCRE's track record, a couple of these guys will end up on an NFL roster in 4 or 5 years.

Having a couple of guys end up in an NFL roster doesn't translate to winning college football games. You need all 11 players on offense and defense to play good consistent football to win games.

Reaction Score
Eugene Bowman IV‏ @EugeneBowman2 6m 6 minutes ago
Extremely blessed to get my 13th offer from UConn

Has picked up a few more offers since original post back in May:

Eugene Bowman is a 6-0 170lb DB from Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville Florida. Other offers from Campbell, Cincinnati, ECU, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Mercer, MTSU, Purdue, Samford, South Alabama, Troy and USF

Highlights
From a R. Schnyderite story on TOS this morning:

>>The class of 2018 defensive back from Florida knows quite a bit about the Huskies program and is hoping to head up to the northeast for a visit sometime this summer. "I know they are on the AAC and they have a record of 3-3 in their bowl games. They also have a few conference titles in football. I also know they put out a lot of defensive backs in the league, which is a something I take note of. The talented defensive back intends to make a trip up to Storrs soon. "I don’t have a planned date yet to visit, but I will be getting to UConn sometime this summer to get a feel for the school and coaches. I’d say right now they are in my top five list of schools,” said Bowman>>

>>"First thing I'm looking for in a school is definitely a good education. At the end of the day football won't go on forever. Also I want to be comfortable at the school, I want to feel like I'm at home. Another thing I want is to feel like I'm a priority for a school and also the distance from home is a factor cause I want my family to be able to attend some of my games,” Bowman stated.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Robert Mayo committed to Old Dominion today

Reaction Score
Robert Mayo committed to Old Dominion today

Just saw that a few minutes ago... that's a big get for ODU. He reportedly had offers from ECU, Maryland, NC State,Rutgers, Temple, Wake Forest and WVA among other.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Just saw that a few minutes ago... that's a big get for ODU. He reportedly had offers from ECU, Maryland, NC State,Rutgers, Temple, Wake Forest and WVA among other.
Agreed. ODU is going to be a player in the G5 the more established they become. There's too much talent close to their campus for them not to compete, and since its such a fertile recruiting area they get decent home games from P5's as well. Teams like ODU, Charlotte, and Liberty going forward I think have a good shot to elevate themselves and their programs

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agreed. ODU is going to be a player in the G5 the more established they become. There's too much talent close to their campus for them not to compete, and since its such a fertile recruiting area they get decent home games from P5's as well. Teams like ODU, Charlotte, and Liberty going forward I think have a good shot to elevate themselves and their programs

Well, its a long fall and that gives some one like him a lot of time thinking about those other schools.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

dont get freaked out by this, RE is notorious for finding hidden gems, Donald Brown being one of them, plucked him outta NJ as almost a completely unknown and he became one of, if not the best back we've ever had. The recruiting sites are BS, they only pick upon kids when the get offered by major programs. perfect example was that kid from NJ/PA that we had last year, he committed to us and no one knew who he was, no tape, nothing. he de-committed and a month later had offers from TCU, Baylor among other P5 offers and suddenly was a 3 star recruit.

Reaction Score
dont get freaked out by this, RE is notorious for finding hidden gems, Donald Brown being one of them, plucked him outta NJ as almost a completely unknown and he became one of, if not the best back we've ever had. The recruiting sites are BS, they only pick upon kids when the get offered by major programs. perfect example was that kid from NJ/PA that we had last year, he committed to us and no one knew who he was, no tape, nothing. he de-committed and a month later had offers from TCU, Baylor among other P5 offers and suddenly was a 3 star recruit.

When we sign an unknown with no offers in the last two weeks before signing day, then you can worry. When we get a verbal in summer, it's from someone we wanted or we wouldn't have made an offer. And especially when we've seen them in camp for a few days.

Reaction Score
ᵀᴴ¹‏ @TazhawnHenry 1h 1 hour ago
Extremely Blessed To received an offer from the University of Connecticut!! #GoHuskies

Ta'zhawn Henry is a 5-8 166lb APB from Lamar High School in Houston Texas. Other offers from Baylor, Boise State, Colorado, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kstat, Nevada, New Mexico, OkSt, OregonSt, Toledo, Tulane, Tulsa and Utah.
Highlights

Since OP Henry picked up other offers from Arizona, FAU, San Diego St, TAMU, TCU, Utah UTSA and Yale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99