2018 Jordan Brand Classic | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2018 Jordan Brand Classic

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In addition to the names mentioned before Destanni Henderson played well. Bologun has all the tools to be an All-ACC performer and future AA although I'm not sure Georgia tech is the right school/platform to get her there.

Reaction Score
In addition to the names mentioned before Destanni Henderson played well. Bologun has all the tools to be an All-ACC performer and future AA although I'm not sure Georgia tech is the right school/platform to get her there.

It's good to hear Henderson had a good showing. I didn't get a chance to watch but judging from the box score she had seven assists which is good considering the little ball movement in these All Star games. I think she'll be a contributor from day 1.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the observation. I agree about the numbers that was something weird. I think Massengill, Westbrook, and Hayes it will interesting to see the point guard position next year at Tennessee.
I forgot to note that Massengil is going to Tenn., which was an oversight. Of those three at PG, my opinion is anyone other than Westbrook. She’s good, but at the 2/3.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I mentioned Destanni. I thought she looked good.

Yeah, Georgia Tech sounds like an odd choice. Kaela Davis didn’t stay there.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I forgot to note that Massengil is going to Tenn., which was an oversight. Of those three at PG, my opinion is anyone other than Westbrook. She’s good, but at the 2/3.
Zay Green also coming in. Tennessee will have some guard depth.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I haven't written up my game observations yet, but that was my foremost thought. They were hard to read, annoying, and dumb. It's an experiment that failed. Maybe someone should be fired over it.

images

Reaction Score
Shakira Austin is hands down the best post in this class and may even be the best overall. She is the real deal and Maryland is getting a damn good one.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Shakira Austin is hands down the best post in this class and may even be the best overall. She is the real deal and Maryland is getting a damn good one.

I hope you don't consider Nelson-Ododa a post then.

Reaction Score
I hope you don't consider Nelson-Ododa a post then.

I do consider ONO a post. I think ONO will be a great player, but I think Austin will eventually be a 1st team All American. She can run the floor, rebound, block shots, has a pro body already that will only get stronger, polished back to the basket game, can hit the 12 footer, and most of all, she plays with a mean streak. She is going to be really special. Again, I am taking nothing away from ONO, I think she will be great, but Austin is on another level.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I mentioned Destanni. I thought she looked good.

Yeah, Georgia Tech sounds like an odd choice. Kaela Davis didn’t stay there.

Also worth noting, SC was also a finalist for Balogun. The academic side won out.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I do consider ONO a post. I think ONO will be a great player, but I think Austin will eventually be a 1st team All American. She can run the floor, rebound, block shots, has a pro body already that will only get stronger, polished back to the basket game, can hit the 12 footer, and most of all, she plays with a mean streak. She is going to be really special. Again, I am taking nothing away from ONO, I think she will be great, but Austin is on another level.

To each his own but I'd love to put some money down on this. Nelson-Ododa wasn't #1 at all four recruiting outlets at one point by accident.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Williams is the real deal. She's easily the best player in the class, and after watching her in 2 games, I'm going to say it's not really close as to who #2 is. She just glides, and is really really good. For reference, to me, she's a better #1 recruit than Walker was. Not that Walker can't be great, Williams is just better (comparing them as seniors). And towards the end of the game, the White coach subbed ONO out, only to have Black start a run, and he put her right back in. She gets involved in a LOT of plays on both ends. We are going to LOVE her.
I think I said this in the McD's game thread. You can't always tell a lot from these All star games. But like DT, Moore, Stewart (not saying she's that level), you can tell when a player is head and shoulders above the rest of her peers. And Williams certainly looked that way to me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One thing I forgot:

As Jordy and I were chatting, the guy sitting in front of us with his wife turned around and started a conversation. He is from Toronto and knows the Nurse family. He even looked a little like Richard Nurse. He commented that we seemed to know something about girls’/women’s hoops. Then he said, “Who is #13? She’s the best player on the floor.” Nice comment from an objective observer.

For anyone who doesn’t know, Christyn was wearing #13.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would say that Austin may be the most college-ready post, because she is strong and aggressive. Liv, as of now, is a finesse player. I think Olivia has the better upside with a more versatile game. It will be interesting to follow both of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I would say that Austin may be the most college-ready post, because she is strong and aggressive. Liv, as of now, is a finesse player. I think Olivia has the better upside with a more versatile game. It will be interesting to follow both of them.
It will come down to coaching and the supporting cast, I like ONO's chances better. Both players are going to play a large roll as freshmen and might even start.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
From what I saw in both all-American games, Austin displayed more versatility... she seems to prefer facing the basket. She showed an ability to score in multiple ways. She was more finesse to me. Playing inside out of pure necessity.

I was actually surprised by how much Nelson-Ododa played inside.. it appeared to me that she actually likes banging down low, which was surprising to me because I’ve always thought of her as a finesse/high post player.. but she can BANG. The name of the game at UConn is versatility obviously, and she has the tools to be a respectable midrange/three point shooter but I think she’s going to make a very fine low post player at UConn in due time.

Reaction Score
From what I saw in both all-American games, Austin displayed more versatility... she seems to prefer facing the basket. She showed an ability to score in multiple ways. She was more finesse to me. Playing inside out of pure necessity.

I was actually surprised by how much Nelson-Ododa played inside.. it appeared to me that she actually likes banging down low, which was surprising to me because I’ve always thought of her as a finesse/high post player.. but she can BANG. The name of the game at UConn is versatility obviously, and she has the tools to be a respectable midrange/three point shooter but I think she’s going to make a very fine low post player at UConn in due time.

Do you ever wonder why Austin wears #22? Her game is very similar to A'ja's and I wonder doe she also patten her game after her.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I really liked how she got her fingers on a lot of offensive rebounds, keeping the ball alive.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've been kind of busy and haven't had the time to chime in on some of my observations about the game. So....

During the game, since we missed most of the 1st half, I kept commenting about a few things and a few players that jumped off the court for me.

1) How I thought Austin was seriously underrated as to her potential. She had fine quickness, was a quick jumper, athletic, agile, a hard nosed mentality, and a willingness to demand the ball on the block and in the paint. I also kept commenting on her body type and how once it filled out she was going to be a beast.

2) That Honesty Scott-Grayson appeared to be limping throughout the half until late when it became very noticeable. Nonetheless, she showed grit, speed, good ball handling skills, a quick first step, a nice change of pace dribble and good vision. Another steal with great upside. I still kept saying she should sit.

3) That ONO had more skills than I thought. Although her body is frail up top she has good, sturdy legs. She also had surprising strength, enough to rebound in traffic and put back through physicality. Hopefully she also learned that trying to dribble passed quick players at the next level ain't happening. She does have good ball handling skill though. But as Mil said, she'd never quite experienced players at this level. She has long legs with deceptively good speed. She has good passing skills. As Mil said though, she needs to get in the weight room like, yesterday. Nevertheless, she showed me she has a little snarl in her game that I didn't know she had. A very competitive young lady. She will also need to get into UConn shape.

4) I was impressed by Prince and how she changed her body in a short period of time. This seemed to me to evince a change in diet and exercise habits. This is not easy for players at her stage of development. To me this also showed her willingness to work hard over time, knowing that good things will result because of it. Aston is getting a steal, and a far different player than was Boothe. She'll bang inside, alter shots and run the floor. She'll also work hard on her game.

5) Nicoletti is a baller. Nice quicksmooth release, good body control, good vision. She plays with her head always up. Nice.

6) Christyn had a poor shooting first half that we did not see. During the second half I kept turning to Mil saying, "She hasn't had one outside shot". Christyn realized her shot wasn't falling and she decided to do other things: Keep the ball flowing on the offensive end. Keep moving on the offensive end. Make good passes to your teammates (although they couldn't seem to finish). Play tough defense, stick your nose under that basket, box out and get rebounds. I turned to Mil and said, "That's 4 rebounds this quarter!". Her kind of attitude is rare in players at her stage, and her willingness to do whatever it takes to win is something Geno harps on continually, especially when your shot isn't falling. She has a wide lower body and good strength. She finishes at the basket with either hand on either side. She's very quick with great deception off the dribble, and two changes of pace. Nice. Her stroke is nice and at the top of her jump. She's special y'all. I told Mil she's going to get lots of time spelling Crystal at the point and at the 2 next year. Coombs and Gordon are going to have to really step up their game to compete with her. She also appears pretty far along in getting into UConn shape.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I really liked how she got her fingers on a lot of offensive rebounds, keeping the ball alive.

She’s surprisingly physical considering how relatively frail she is for a low post player. She’s going to do well at UConn. I know physicality was a major concern for most re: Nelson-Ododa.. but I’m not too concerned anymore.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few more thoughts:

Olivia: She’s thin, but her legs are not skinny. As we know, she can dunk, even at the end of practice. She knows how, when, and where to post up. She may be ahead of Azura in this regard. She is a big target, almost like Stewie, and appears to have soft hands. She demanded the ball in the closing minutes and scored, even through contact. She shot nicely from the left side with her left hand. Liv seemed to elevate quickly. She played with no brace or support. It was impossible to tell that she had surgery about 15-16 months ago.

Christyn: I agree totally with Jordy. Christyn defines smooth. Jordy was thinking Odyssey Sims, but I was thinking more James Harden. Think Arike, with a change of pace, better shot selection, and greater efficiency. As Jordy noted, she had 4 boards in the quarter—and she played only 5 minutes in the quarter. I think she had 4 defensive rebounds in about 5 or 6 possessions in the 3rd quarter. There were also rebounds that she could have gotten but gave to her teammates. Like Liv, she elevates quickly. Frankly, I’ll be very surprised if she doesn’t post a triple-double at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom