2018 Jordan Brand Classic | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 Jordan Brand Classic

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
just trying to be a good WBB fan.....we've gotten valuable info from our ND, SC, Texas, Duke and Baylor friends before so why not reciprocate......have you been hit with the over use freeze yet? It's really frustrating when you are in the middle of a couple of good threads.....
Not yet.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Passing on the boxscore for the game courtsey of @Sluconn Husky
DaSwEcgV4AEdg2B.jpg
Thanks both of you :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Lol no kidding. Haha
Definitely sarcasm. I was also playing on the historical stereotype of the frail, delicate Southern woman.

When it come to the UCONN women, assume a lot of folks on the Boneyard are related to The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
CW didn't have a great shooting game but the team looked pretty much under control when she was in there...she comes off as a happy go lucky kid but is super competitive....she got very serious when the game got close the end and looked ticked off when her team lost..I love it...

BTW moderators: this lockout thing is truly annoying..I'm not sure why this was put in place but it's forcing me to limit my transfer information and all posts regarding other schools......can you please at least double the number of posts......

Just deal with your punishment for being so bad. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, did anyone mention how stupid the sideways numbers looked? :confused:
I haven't written up my game observations yet, but that was my foremost thought. They were hard to read, annoying, and dumb. It's an experiment that failed. Maybe someone should be fired over it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ok, did anyone mention how stupid the sideways numbers looked? :confused:
And it made it so much easier to keep track of the players.

Reaction Score
It was disappointing that there were so few people in the stands watching the game.

Reaction Score
CW didn't have a great shooting game but the team looked pretty much under control when she was in there...she comes off as a happy go lucky kid but is super competitive....she got very serious when the game got close the end and looked ticked off when her team lost..I love it...

BTW moderators: this lockout thing is truly annoying..I'm not sure why this was put in place but it's forcing me to limit my transfer information and all posts regarding other schools......can you please at least double the number of posts......

Based on proven content value, Charliebball should be exempt from quantitative posting restrictions

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some comments from observing the game in person.

First, JordyG and I had heard that the game was at 3:00 or possibly 2:30, but the tickets said 3:30, so we left Starbucks at 3:00 and went in, only to find the game in the middle of the second quarter. Damn!

Second, the sideways numbers were an abysmal failure in my opinion.

Third, no program was available, so it was tough to figure out who was who unless the player scored a basket, in which case the PA announcer told us. I could recognize about 8 players by sight and learned more over the course of the game.

Here's a list of some kids who looked good, at least at times, and why they looked good:

Isabela Nicoletti (FSU) shot 4-4 overall and 3-3 from the arc. Kids with European heritage seem to shoot the 3-ball well.

Elizabeth Balogun (Ga Tech) shot the ball with nice form and accuracy. She has decent size and athleticism.

Shakira Austin (Maryland) was perhaps the most aggressive big. She had 18 and 14 and looks ready to contribute.

Honesty Scott-Grayson (Baylor) made several nice plays and sank some shots, including from the arc. She played with a brace and limped some, plus appeared to get hurt in the last minute. She made only 3rd team All-DC Metro, which makes me wonder if she was hurt this season.

Queen Egbo (Baylor) didn't make many shots and turned the ball over, but she is very athletic and got lots of boards.

Aquira Decosta reminds me of the Ogwumike sisters, only with less control. She is quick with the ball and really is a human pogo stick. But her shooting is suspect.

Nalyssa Smith (Baylor) has size and athleticism. Note--these 4 players are all heading to Baylor!

Destanni Henderson (SC) has lots of speed and some moves.

Sedona Prince had only 6 points and 1 rebound, but she's trimmer and more mobile than I expected. Plus, she's 6'7".

Emily Engstler (Cuse) reminded me of a taller Shoni Schimmel in appearance. Plus, she has skills.

Jazmine Massengill had 6 assists and looked pretty good. At 6'0" or so, she's tall for a PG.

I really liked our kids. Christyn was cold and scored only 1 in the first half, I believe. But she does so much more than score. She plays very smart, doesn't force any shots, and plays a team game. She dishes nicely and would have had more assists if her teammates had converted. She rebounds surprisingly well. Her vertical is impressive, as she was rebounding with kids who were 6'3" to 6'5". She has good anticipation of where the ball is coming off the rim, definitely a "nose for the ball." Christyn had 9 boards in 19 minutes. She shot 4-10 for 11 points. All of the shots were good shots, and the misses were on line. On several occasions, she was open in the corner but didn't get the ball. At least twice, she got the ball on a fast break. On one occasion, it was one on one, and she attacked the defender, turned her around, went left, and shot it with her right. On another break, she attacked two defenders and dished to a teammate for a hoop. She was masterful in transition. Christyn has the 3-point shot (hot in the McD's game, cold yesterday), pull-up jumper, and dribble drive to either side. After the opponent scored to take a 1-point lead with 2-3 seconds to go, her team inbounded the ball to another player, who was unable to get a reasonable shot off. Christyn was farther downcourt and wanted the ball for a 40-footer. That's the kind of shot that legendary players make. She appeared unhappy with the loss--Geno's type of kid!

I thought Olivia looked good too. She finished with 12 points and 5 boards. She has good height, fairly strong looking legs, and reasonably broad shoulders. She'll need upper-body strength and will get it. Her dribble is pretty good, and she took one 3-pointer, which was a fraction long. She runs the floor and posts up nicely. She was instrumental in her team getting the win in a very close game. In the last couple of minutes, she posted up and scored with contact. Then she did it again. She made both free throws, so she had 6 points very quickly. With the clock winding down and her team trailing, she kept a rebound alive, tipping it to a teammate, who scored the winning basket. As with Christyn, Olivia looks like a smart player with good fundamentals. She may get outplayed by the stronger, more experienced bigs at Baylor and other schools early on, but Tina Charles had to endure her game against Sylvia Fowles and Stewie had her scoreless game against Baylor. Liv does lots of good things and is our best option at the post, so I see her getting lots of PT. In fact, I can see her starting. Tina started, Stef started, and Liv can start.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
12 points/5 boards from ONO and 11 points/9 boards from CW.

I'd be happy with those stats for their freshman year. :D
Just a wild early guess, but I can see 12 and 6 from Christyn and 9 and 7 from Olivia. Christyn gets 10 points on a bad day.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I cannot watch these games any more. I too just wait for the box score.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Some comments from observing the game in person.

First, JordyG and I had heard that the game was at 3:00 or possibly 2:30, but the tickets said 3:30, so we left Starbucks at 3:00 and went in, only to find the game in the middle of the second quarter. Damn!

Second, the sideways numbers were an abysmal failure in my opinion.

Third, no program was available, so it was tough to figure out who was who unless the player scored a basket, in which case the PA announcer told us. I could recognize about 8 players by sight and learned more over the course of the game.

Here's a list of some kids who looked good, at least at times, and why they looked good:

Isabela Nicoletti (FSU) shot 4-4 overall and 3-3 from the arc. Kids with European heritage seem to shoot the 3-ball well.

Elizabeth Balogun (Ga Tech) shot the ball with nice form and accuracy. She has decent size and athleticism.

Shakira Austin (Maryland) was perhaps the most aggressive big. She had 18 and 14 and looks ready to contribute.

Honesty Scott-Grayson (Baylor) made several nice plays and sank some shots, including from the arc. She played with a brace and limped some, plus appeared to get hurt in the last minute. She made only 3rd team All-DC Metro, which makes me wonder if she was hurt this season.

Queen Egbo (Baylor) didn't make many shots and turned the ball over, but she is very athletic and got lots of boards.

Aquira Decosta reminds me of the Ogwumike sisters, only with less control. She is quick with the ball and really is a human pogo stick. But her shooting is suspect.

Nalyssa Smith (Baylor) has size and athleticism. Note--these 4 players are all heading to Baylor!

Destanni Henderson (SC) has lots of speed and some moves.

Sedona Prince had only 6 points and 1 rebound, but she's trimmer and more mobile than I expected. Plus, she's 6'7".

Emily Engstler (Cuse) reminded me of a taller Shoni Schimmel in appearance. Plus, she has skills.

Jazmine Massengill had 6 assists and looked pretty good. At 6'0" or so, she's tall for a PG.

I really liked our kids. Christyn was cold and scored only 1 in the first half, I believe. But she does so much more than score. She plays very smart, doesn't force any shots, and plays a team game. She dishes nicely and would have had more assists if her teammates had converted. She rebounds surprisingly well. Her vertical is impressive, as she was rebounding with kids who were 6'3" to 6'5". She has good anticipation of where the ball is coming off the rim, definitely a "nose for the ball." Christyn had 9 boards in 19 minutes. She shot 4-10 for 11 points. All of the shots were good shots, and the misses were on line. On several occasions, she was open in the corner but didn't get the ball. At least twice, she got the ball on a fast break. On one occasion, it was one on one, and she attacked the defender, turned her around, went left, and shot it with her right. On another break, she attacked two defenders and dished to a teammate for a hoop. She was masterful in transition. Christyn has the 3-point shot (hot in the McD's game, cold yesterday), pull-up jumper, and dribble drive to either side. After the opponent scored to take a 1-point lead with 2-3 seconds to go, her team inbounded the ball to another player, who was unable to get a reasonable shot off. Christyn was farther downcourt and wanted the ball for a 40-footer. That's the kind of shot that legendary players make. She appeared unhappy with the loss--Geno's type of kid!

I thought Olivia looked good too. She finished with 12 points and 5 boards. She has good height, fairly strong looking legs, and reasonably broad shoulders. She'll need upper-body strength and will get it. Her dribble is pretty good, and she took one 3-pointer, which was a fraction long. She runs the floor and posts up nicely. She was instrumental in her team getting the win in a very close game. In the last couple of minutes, she posted up and scored with contact. Then she did it again. She made both free throws, so she had 6 points very quickly. With the clock winding down and her team trailing, she kept a rebound alive, tipping it to a teammate, who scored the winning basket. As with Christyn, Olivia looks like a smart player with good fundamentals. She may get outplayed by the stronger, more experienced bigs at Baylor and other schools early on, but Tina Charles had to endure her game against Sylvia Fowles and Stewie had her scoreless game against Baylor. Liv does lots of good things and is our best option at the post, so I see her getting lots of PT. In fact, I can see her starting. Tina started, Stef started, and Liv can start.
Thanks for the observation. I agree about the numbers that was something weird. I think Massengill, Westbrook, and Hayes it will interesting to see the point guard position next year at Tennessee.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Milford's notes were pretty much spot on. I actually saw quite a few players who impressed me and who showed they have some good tools to work with. However, once they get to college, it remains to be seen how they will be coached up. Players who stood out to me:

Shak Austin, Aquire DeCosta, Sedona Prince, Honesty Scott-Grayson, Nicoletti, Bologun, and maybe a few others. The amount of missed layups was mind boggling, and the amount of airballs shot on 3's that were nowhere close to the hoop was surprising from a group this talented.

Williams is the real deal. She's easily the best player in the class, and after watching her in 2 games, I'm going to say it's not really close as to who #2 is. She just glides, and is really really good. For reference, to me, she's a better #1 recruit than Walker was. Not that Walker can't be great, Williams is just better (comparing them as seniors). And towards the end of the game, the White coach subbed ONO out, only to have Black start a run, and he put her right back in. She gets involved in a LOT of plays on both ends. We are going to LOVE her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom