2018 College summer ball - UConn players | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 College summer ball - UConn players

Reaction Score
Looks like Paul Gozzo has been reassigned to the Worcester Bravehearts as well

Paul Gozzo is still listed on the Danbury Westerners roster as well, so maybe they are being a bit slow at taking him off the roster. The last game Gozzo got into for Danbury was July 1. Gozzo hit .222 in 11 games and 27 at bats.

Reaction Score
Looks like Paul Gozzo has been reassigned to the Worcester Bravehearts as well
Paul Gozzo is still listed on the Danbury Westerners roster as well, so maybe they are being a bit slow at taking him off the roster. The last game Gozzo got into for Danbury was July 1. Gozzo hit .222 in 11 games and 27 at bats.

Reaction Score
Here are several lesser known UConn guys who have been doing rather well during the 2018 summer ball season.

CJ Dandeneau is having a terrific summer pitching in relief for the New Bedford Bay Sox of the New England Collegiate Baseball League (NECBL). 10 games, 16.2 innings, 1.08 ERA, 28 strikeouts, and 5 saves. He has given up 11 hits and 10 walks. The walk total is a little high, but that is often the way with college pitchers. It is something that can be lived in as long as the walks don’t get compounded with other unfortunate pitching events.

Redshirt freshman pitcher Karl Johnson had to sit out the spring season for UConn after transferring from Army. He has been doing a nice job of shaking off the rust playing for the Mystic Schooners of the NECBL. 6 games, the last 3 of them as a starter, 3.05 ERA in 17.2 innings, with 24 strikeouts, 5 walks, and 16 hits given up. Given that Johnson did not play college ball in the spring, the walk and strikeout totals really get you taking notice, as control like this is a bit of a rarity with young college pitchers. We’ll have to see if he can keep this up, but with his control perhaps Johnson can emerges as a possible starting pitcher candidate for UConn.

Kenny Bergmann has been seeing time as a catcher and designated hitter with the Watertown Rapids of the Perfect Game League. Even though he has rarely played at UConn, the coaching staff in interviews has always talked about his hitting ability. Bergmann's bat has come alive during summer ball. 17 games, 64 at bats, with a .359 average. He has also been showing some extra base power with 7 doubles.

Matt Bonvicini is another guy who rarely got off the bench for UConn this spring. He has been starting at 1B for the Bristol Blues of the Futures League. It has been said by the coaches during interviews and by Chris Jones during game radio broadcasts that Bonvicini with the bat reminds them of Bobby Melley. Whatever the case, Bonvicini’s offense is definitely starting to wake up as the summer season progresses. 21 games, 66 at bats, .288 average, with 13 walks, which helps to give him an on base percentage of .402. With 3 doubles and 1 homer this summer, Bonvicini hasn’t shown much power, at least not yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Did this guy lose a bet? "Big St. John's fan... Go Johnnies?" what

Reaction Score

Scouting Trail: California Collegiate League:

>>Jeff Kersten, Senior, RHP, Healdsburg Prune Packers (Connecticut) - 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, long limbs, lean athletic build. Long arm action but creates good deception with it. Throws from a three-quarters slot with a fast, live arm. Athlete on the mound, and repeats delivery very well. Efficient strike thrower; gets batters out early in the counts. Sat 87-91 mph with good sinking action, touched 92. Can flatten out at times and that is when he gets hit. Spins a tight, 11/5 rotation curveball (75-78 mph). Got many swing and misses with it. Flashed a slider at 83-85 mph that shows potential, yet needs to improve this pitch to remain a starter. Fields his position very well and moves off the mound well. Overall, Kersten throws an average fastball with good life to it, has an above average curveball, will need to work on his third pitch (slider) to pitch at the next level.

Chase Gardner, Senior, LHP, Healdsburg Prune Packers (Connecticut)- 6-foot-7, 245 pounds, thick legs, with a strong large build. Throws from high three-quarters slot, with a quick and short arm action. Simple delivery that he repeats well. Has a high leg kick with a little hip turn. Started the game throwing strikes but lost his delivery and command as the game went on. Good downhill plane on his fastball which creates deception to hitters. Sat 86-91 mph on his fastball, touched 92 in the first inning, but lost velocity in the later innings. Can locate his fastball to both sides of the plate and induced a lot of ground ball outs. Spun a curveball at 74-77 mph that got swing misses. Also threw a few change ups (80-84 mph), just average now but shows potential. Fields his position pretty well for a larger guy. Overall, Gardner knows how to pitch and get outs, but will need to prove he can maintain his stuff in the later innings to stay away from the bullpen<<

Reaction Score

Dandeneau's ERA is down to 0.92 after getting the save in tonight's game. Both Dandeneau and Jacob Wallace have both been terrific out of the bullpen this summer for their respective teams.

Reaction Score
Incoming freshman Adam Schwartz is now listed as a RHP on the Bristol Blues roster.

Reaction Score
Langer in LF tonight and Phillips in RF tonight for the Bourne Braves (Thad also played RF yesterday). Interesting given UConn's crowded returning infield and crowded catching corps for next year with only Toppa returning as a major contributor in the OF.

Reaction Score
Langer in LF tonight and Phillips in RF tonight for the Bourne Braves (Thad also played RF yesterday). Interesting given UConn's crowded returning infield and crowded catching corps for next year with only Toppa returning as a major contributor in the OF.

The Bourne roster that is online shows that they have only two players that are listed as outfielders, so someone from the infield and catching spots are going to have to play out there. Still, I had noticed with interest Phillips playing the outfield last night as well. While I haven't checked every Bourne box score this summer, last night was the first time I had seen Phillips listed as playing the outfield. Now Langer gets a shot in the outfield as well. I'm sure this does not bother Coach Penders in the least.

As for UConn, I have been thinking a few players that we have seen playing the infield or at catcher could be seeing some time in the outfield, at least during fall ball. While I like their defense in the infield, it wouldn't surprise me to see Winkel and Woodworth get some time out there, as well as Christian Fedko.

Reaction Score
The Bourne roster that is online shows that they have only two players that are listed as outfielders, so someone from the infield and catching spots are going to have to play out there. Still, I had noticed with interest Phillips playing the outfield last night as well. While I haven't checked every Bourne box score this summer, last night was the first time I had seen Phillips listed as playing the outfield. Now Langer gets a shot in the outfield as well. I'm sure this does not bother Coach Penders in the least.

As for UConn, I have been thinking a few players that we have seen playing the infield or at catcher could be seeing some time in the outfield, at least during fall ball. While I like their defense in the infield, it wouldn't surprise me to see Winkel and Woodworth get some time out there, as well as Christian Fedko.

I am surprised Toppa has not been picked up by a team on the cape . Bourne obviously needs OF help and has the UConn connection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom