2017 Scholarship Chart | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 Scholarship Chart

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Updated. Thank you.
Great chart. I wish the mods would pin it.

Just a guess, but maybe Freeborn moves to Dline (I still remember his hudl tape demonstrating solid Dline skills), Hahn to LB and Fortt to Safety.

Can't wait to hear about transfers!

Reaction Score
Great chart. I wish the mods would pin it.

Just a guess, but maybe Freeborn moves to Dline (I still remember his hudl tape demonstrating solid Dline skills), Hahn to LB and Fortt to Safety.

Can't wait to hear about transfers!

I would LOVE to see Hahn at LB !!! In this new, speed based wide scheme, he would be the "prototype" LB/S hybrid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Until John reaches the requisite 590 points, he should keep the posts shorter.

Besides, we would know if he was stealing if there were a sudden flood of pizza stories in the paper.

Reaction Score
You know what's good? HuskyMedic's recruit info. I would almost check here first because it is like a free news service. He should sell it. Anyhow, I am not on beat anymore or have any connection to team outside of past relationships. Fun board guys, maybe I will become a Yarder and post. Nowhere else to vent about the inside handoff. :)

It was probably unintended ... but I nearly spit my drink on the keyboard when I read that line!!

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
It was probably unintended ... but I nearly spit my drink on the keyboard when I read that line!!
I gotta believe that was no accident. If he used Cuse orange for the font color, it wouldn't have been more obvious. ;)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thinking about Randy's press conference yesterday I came away with a few thoughts.

-) Horray, he actually watched tape on our team unlike Disastro who was too arrogant (and stupid).
-) He said the team needed a speed upgrade (indictment on Disastro as others here have noted!).
-) He said we need more speed at the WR position (looking at Beals, Mayala and McLean?)
-) He said Van Denmark and Holmes and Tunstall could even play this year (conclusion, current OL is also not up to par as we know).
-) He said when he built the program the first time he just took athletes (again the opposite of Diaco, who was attracted to prototypes).

The fix
-) We took Swan, Swenson, Fortt, Brown, King and Olaniyan to reload the secondary in a big way.
-) We added Gardner for LB. Sure its only one player, but I think he is the beginning of a return of better LB play for UConn after this Disastro dip. I should add that Beavers has potential too as well to boost our overall athletisism at LB as well.
-) We added Burnett for WR speed and Hairston for WR speed/height/pure catching ability.
-) We added Holmes. This kid is going to play early, I am confident in that.
-) We took in 3 Qbs! Incredible. Disastro would never have been able to accomplish this.
-) We add Williams at RB which will take some pressure off Hopkins and Vickers as they see the field for the first time this year.

Next step in the fix-
-) As others have posited, I think Hahn, Watkins and Garland move to LB, Freeborn, Carrezola and maybe AJ Garson move from LB to DE. As others have stated, we have several players on D that should probably move up a level - closer to the line of scrimmage. Looking at our our recruiting, you have to figure that is the staff's plan as well.
-) Edsall stated they are interested in a 5th year WR. I expect they find one this spring.
-) I think they will also find a 5th year OL as well.
-) Doesn't seem like its in the works, but I personally would feel better if we did take in an RB in this class. I know the staff doesn't believe in taking kids for the sake of filling all the slots. I get it. Next year we'll have just 3 kids on scholarship as RBs and that assuming we don't lose any to injuries, etc.
-) Seems unlikely, but if they can get a quality DL transfer that is not a 5th year senior, that would be a good add too for 2018+.

Conclusion - when you did deeper it seems like a lot was accomplished with this recruiting class. They have a plan. You can see it now.

I'll be super pumped if they find those first two remaining pieces in that 5th year WR senior and OL help this spring.

Reaction Score
I expect a few roster moves. I think moving some LBs (Garson, Luke C.) to DE must happen, simply because we need fewer LBs and need more DL.

I'd like to see them experiment moving Chris Lee inside, to OT.

I'll be interested to see what HCRE does with secondary. He spent a decade coaching DBs and made the secondary a strength while here.

I'll be interested to see what Rashlee does with the speedy/shifty guys we do have (Arkeel, Vickers, Quanes) -can we find a way to get them in the slot or outside to create some matchup issues?

I'm most interested in seeing what JBG does up front.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine four or five LBs returning from this past season's roster (including redshirts) will be DE's by this fall.

Looking at our returning players, we don't have many who would have been OLB's under Edsall last time around.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I expect a few roster moves. I think moving some LBs (Garson, Luke C.) to DE must happen, simply because we need fewer LBs and need more DL.

I'd like to see them experiment moving Chris Lee inside, to OT.

I'll be interested to see what HCRE does with secondary. He spent a decade coaching DBs and made the secondary a strength while here.

I'll be interested to see what Rashlee does with the speedy/shifty guys we do have (Arkeel, Vickers, Quanes) -can we find a way to get them in the slot or outside to create some matchup issues?

I'm most interested in seeing what JBG does up front.

Those moves of LB to DE also help bring defensive team speed in general, something we absolutely needed last year, and need even more in the new system.

Reaction Score
I imagine four or five LBs returning from this past season's roster (including redshirts) will be DE's by this fall.

Looking at our returning players, we don't have many who would have been OLB's under Edsall last time around.

Actually, if you simply call Luke and Stapleton DEs (which they are under Edsall), our 3 LBs work fine under Edsall's old system. Joseph and Levenberry are the MLB and SSLB, both of which are bigger, physical types, and Diggs plays the weakside role that Mo Lloyd and Sio played. I have no idea, however, if we're playing the old Edsall 4-3 (which I think our returning personnel is made for) or the 'Nova 3-3-5. Time will tell.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Next step in the fix-
-) Edsall stated they are interested in a 5th year WR. I expect they find one this spring

My guess is Freddy Canteeen. 5th year grad transfer WR from Michigan. Was a big time WR recruit of Brady Hoke who was lost in the shuffle with Harbaugh. Sat out last year with 2 shoulder surgeries. Originally recruited by both UConn and Maryland (Edsall). On twitter, he is currently following/followed by a few UConn coaches/players.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually, if you simply call Luke and Stapleton DEs (which they are under Edsall), our 3 LBs work fine under Edsall's old system. Joseph and Levenberry are the MLB and SSLB, both of which are bigger, physical types, and Diggs plays the weakside role that Mo Lloyd and Sio played. I have no idea, however, if we're playing the old Edsall 4-3 (which I think our returning personnel is made for) or the 'Nova 3-3-5. Time will tell.
Actually BL, Diggs would be big enough to play strong side in the first iteration of RE's defense while Joseph and Levenberry would be heavier than any LB's I remember. I do however agree that a lineup with those three as our starting LB's (with those you named moved to DL) would make the most sense.

I'm curious as to what is in store for the defense. RE comments on signing day (referring to Beavers as an LB and Thomas as a DT) tells me we may have something similar to the prior RE defense (four man line, LB/SS hybrid) which won't be too far removed from a 3-3-5.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Updated the scholarship chart based on position changes and apparent departures.

Reaction Score
Anyone else hear a rumor that L/S Nick Zecchino is no longer on the team either? Now that Obi's graduated (who was our 2nd string L/S), who the helk is it going to be?

Reaction Score
Anyone else hear a rumor that L/S Nick Zecchino is no longer on the team either? Now that Obi's graduated (who was our 2nd string L/S), who the helk is it going to be?

He's not on updated roster.

RS Frosh Jeffrey Sidebotham is next up and PWO Brian Keating will be on campus this summer.

Reaction Score
He's not on updated roster.

RS Frosh Jeffrey Sidebotham is next up and PWO Brian Keating will be on campus this summer.
Sidebothom was very good for the Brookfield state championship teams. I think that battery didn't miss an xp in over 70 something tries.

Reaction Score

If true this has the potential to be a pretty big deal.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If true this has the potential to be a pretty big deal.

Eh. We've got one on the roster and another coming in, and a group of highly athletic players who could potentially learn the skill before fall. I'm not worried. Also, I always thought Diaco kept like 6 LS on roster, what gives?

Reaction Score
Eh. We've got one on the roster and another coming in, and a group of highly athletic players who could potentially learn the skill before fall. I'm not worried. Also, I always thought Diaco kept like 6 LS on roster, what gives?

Diaco stock piled TE's like crazy. Long snapping is not an easy skill to learn. It's one of those things that you take for granted until you don't have one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom