2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 75 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if we had 3 QBs in this class come in and compete with what we already have... The underrecruiting at the QB position has to end... You can have 5,6,7 scholly guys, at RB, OL, TE, WR, LB, DL, DB, why not at QB... Somebody out of the bunch will have to rise to the top and run that offense the way it needs to be run, regardless of shortcomings up front..

It is truly amazing that you can say "why not at QB" in a thread where a ton or articles and reasons "why not" have been linked in the last hour that you don't address. It's just you want it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if we had 3 QBs in this class come in and compete with what we already have... The underrecruiting at the QB position has to end... You can have 5,6,7 scholly guys, at RB, OL, TE, WR, LB, DL, DB, why not at QB... Somebody out of the bunch will have to rise to the top and run that offense the way it needs to be run, regardless of shortcomings up front..
Of course buddy we all would love to over recruit for the QB position, but the challenge is that most potential QBs, particularly those with + level skills, don't want to wait to see the field. They like to see a path towards near term playing time.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why Temple was recruiting Pindell but my hunch is they were going to move him to another position. Temple has 4 scholarship QBs already on the roster including mid-year enrollee 3 star Todd Centreio.

I think a combination of UConn being able to offer playing time and Temple only having 1 or 2 more scholarships available help out a lot for UConn (not saying he wouldn't picked UConn over Temple anyway). Also, wouldn't be surprised if UConn got a commit from OL Vollmer. Temple is trying to land GT transfer Trey Klock, who is down to Temple/Northwestern. He is eligible immediately and Temple is really trying to get him, so it sounds like Vollmer is there for UConn's taking.

Glad to see things have picked up recruiting wise for you guys. Good for the conference!

Temple has no experience returning at QB. Marchi threw 6 passes in 2016 and Nutile threw 3 passes in 2015. The QBs on roster are 1 FR, 2 R-FR, 1 R-SO, and 1 RS-JR. Nutile and Marchi don't appear to be the QBs of the future and the potential QBs of the future are Freshmen. Clearly, Temple needed/wanted to bring in an experienced JUCO/Grad transfer. A QB like Pindell was exactly what Temple needs in this class.

Reaction Score
I think you're being a bit nit-picky there, given that a few is a relative distinction that is often used to describe as little as two.
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=few
Top Definition. few. Generally means three. No less than three can be slightly more. Three is the most common number associated with few. I will buy a few ...

Thanks for mentioning that, but honestly, just never associated a few with two. And not being sure about JUCOs ablity to transfer after one year, thought it would be possible for one to have three years left if so.

So assuming this is just a a semantics misunderstanding, sounds like has two years....which is great for us right now...and like an eternity when compared to our QB past!

Reaction Score
Temple has no experience returning at QB. Marchi threw 6 passes in 2016 and Nutile threw 3 passes in 2015. The QBs on roster are 1 FR, 2 R-FR, 1 R-SO, and 1 RS-JR. Nutile and Marchi don't appear to be the QBs of the future and the potential QBs of the future are Freshmen. Clearly, Temple needed/wanted to bring in an experienced JUCO/Grad transfer. A QB like Pindell was exactly what Temple needs in this class.

While it appears that way on the outside, I'm not sure that is true. Owlscoop hinted at a position change very early in his recruitment, which means someone close to the program mentioned that. No matter what, Temple is going to be inexperienced at QB next year at the D-1 level.

Reaction Score
While it appears that way on the outside, I'm not sure that is true. Owlscoop hinted at a position change very early in his recruitment, which means someone close to the program mentioned that. No matter what, Temple is going to be inexperienced at QB next year at the D-1 level.

I watch Staffing as a leading indicator of Programs - particularly in our peer Conference opponents. This new Temple staff is going to struggle vis a vis their last 4 years. We are going to benefit from that relative movement. (ok ... imho)

Reaction Score
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=few
Top Definition. few. Generally means three. No less than three can be slightly more. Three is the most common number associated with few. I will buy a few ...

Thanks for mentioning that, but honestly, just never associated a few with two. And not being sure about JUCOs ablity to transfer after one year, thought it would be possible for one to have three years left if so.

So assuming this is just a a semantics misunderstanding, sounds like has two years....which is great for us right now...and like an eternity when compared to our QB past!

I agree, in general, a few means 3 but it could mean two. Its undefined where as a couple is defined as two. Then there is context, in this case a college career of 4 and a max of 5 years. So, when taken in context a few would have to be 2 because it denotes more than 1 and less than a majority, which is 3 or more.

Now, I'm really just blowing smoke, because everything I've said just makes sense in my head and is based on nothing but those thoughts. Also, I couldn't resist a boneyard rabbit trail, cus I'm a dog at heart.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I can see I'm gonna need to increase my meds to get through tomorrow...
This is agonizing. We have the most exciting batch of recruits in last weekend in years and they have all gone Edsall 1.0 on us.

Reaction Score
This is agonizing. We have the most exciting batch of recruits in last weekend in years and they have all gone Edsall 1.0 on us.
Was going to say...if we thought yesterday was long...then today could feel like an eternity! :( ...unless UConn Country is right and a few disclose early.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
While we twiddle our thumbs and stress out. Let's recap what is hanging in the lurch.

1) Pindell QB - vibes are good that he is coming.
2) Washington QB - radio silent.
3) Sheffield RB - word is the OV was positive.
4) Gardner LB - radio silent
5) Kayoute DL - looked happy in the OV twitter pic. hard to believe he is not coming.
6) Green DL - tweeted a UConn pick post OV. good sign?
7) Vollmer OL - taft prep kid did not take an official visit.
8) Hall WR - late offer by the staff - maybe Hairston took his seat at the table.
9) Transfers/Other surprises?

I want them all!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
While we twiddle our thumbs and stress out. Let's recap what is hanging in the lurch.

1) Pindell QB - vibes are good that he is coming.
2) Washington QB - radio silent.
3) Sheffield RB - word is the OV was positive.
4) Gardner LB - radio silent
5) Kayoute DL - looked happy in the OV twitter pic. hard to believe he is not coming.
6) Green DL - tweeted a UConn pick post OV. good sign?
7) Vollmer OL - taft prep kid did not take an official visit.
8) Hall WR - late offer by the staff - maybe Hairston took his seat at the table.
9) Transfers/Other surprises?

I want them all!

My guess is that we grab Pindell, Gardner, and Keyoute. Was very confident about Washington but am less confident now that we're hearing positive things about Pindell. Hopefully we get em both. Something tells me Sheffield will go to GA Southern or Southern Miss

Reaction Score
My thoughts on odds of a commit:

Pindell, Sheffield, Kayoute - greater than 80%
Green - greater than 60%. don't know if Arizona offer is still valid, photo on twitter was promising. Long way to come if another late offer competes.
Washington and Gardner - 50% could go either way. Fighting against P5 offers in both cases.
Vollmer, Hall - less than 25% - neither made an official. WR slot went to Hairston, not sure if a 5th OL is wanted unless it is a JUCO that can play now.
Transfers, other surprises - greater than 75%. There will be something we were not expecting.

Reaction Score

Green - greater than 60%. don't know if Arizona offer is still valid, photo on twitter was promising. Long way to come if another late offer competes.
Washington and Gardner - 50% could go either way. Fighting against P5 offers in both cases.
Vollmer, Hall - less than 25% - neither made an official. WR slot went to Hairston, not sure if a 5th OL is wanted unless it is a JUCO that can play now.
Transfers, other surprises - greater than 75%. There will be something we were not expecting.

This is where I am at. With the exception of Gardner. Unless I'm wrong he just decommitted from BC. And with no other offers but ours and a recent visit I feel we are at a 90% with him or so. And I am at 100% with Pindell just a hunch.........

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

And this is doubly good news because we won't face Pindell as a Temple Owl.

@UConnRock - I have to agree with your handicapping. Of the OL recruits, I think Vollmer as a PG kid with a mature body could see the field the quickest of the lineman we have recruited, but my hunch is that his offer came moments before Holmes accepted and so maybe Holmes took his seat. I think its possible Hairston took Hall's seat.

Reaction Score

Supposedly Vollmer went on an official visit to UVA last weekend, and the crystal ball looks like they may be the leaders.

Reaction Score
This is where I am at. With the exception of Gardner. Unless I'm wrong he just decommitted from BC. And with no other offers but ours and a recent visit I feel we are at a 90% with him or so. And I am at 100% with Pindell just a hunch....

Think this could be one of our best if not the best class in the last decade too, if we get those 80-100% guys and Vollmer (Big need still at T).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Supposedly Vollmer went on an official visit to UVA last weekend, and the crystal ball looks like they may be the leaders.

I like the kid. Think he could play early - even this fall if the LT position is a weak as I fear it to be, but if he doesn't come, I think the staff will work up some magic this spring with a JUCO or grad transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom