2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 74 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
he couldn't have made a better decision... I like his deliberate nature at the position.. I think he translates better, in terms of time.. although he has a few years of eligibility, he's more mature and probably understands time is of the essence. His highlights kinda show it too. He appears more deliberate. Will be more of a threat right away...

I'm getting more and more excited about a watchable product being put on the field.... what a time to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
he couldn't have made a better decision... I like his deliberate nature at the position.. I think he translates better, in terms of time.. although he has a few years of eligibility, he's more mature and probably understands time is of the essence. His highlights kinda show it too. He appears more deliberate. Will be more of a threat right away...
Excited that it's looking good for us with Pindell. Wondering if this is this accurate though...about a few years? I thought he was a JUCO with two years left.

Reaction Score
Excited that it's looking good for us with Pindell. Wondering if this is this accurate though...about a few years? I thought he was a JUCO with two years left.
You're correct but the bolded part is also correct. Maybe I'm not understanding your point here.

Reaction Score
Would love to get both Washington and Pindell, but in terms of getting a quality product on the field in 2017, the signing of Pindell is a higher priority. He played at a high level in JUCO and should transition well. Hopefully he meets expectations and could be an immediate starter. I would be nice to give McAfee and maybe even Williams a RS year under Lashlee's system. It would be even nicer to add Washington and be comfortable at Qb for the first time in ages.

Reaction Score
Would love to get both Washington and Pindell, but in terms of getting a quality product on the field in 2017, the signing of Pindell is a higher priority. He played at a high level in JUCO and should transition well. Hopefully he meets expectations and could be an immediate starter. I would be nice to give McAfee and maybe even Williams a RS year under Lashlee's system. It would be even nicer to add Washington and be comfortable at Qb for the first time in ages.

Pindell and Washington -- any JUCO transfer and high school senior -- are not an "either or." Pindell will be done before Washington starts his redshirt sophomore season. And if Washington beats him out before then, well, great.

Also, some of you want a level of QB depth that we are never going to have. Not many players who come to UConn to play QB are going to be really, really good QBs by the end of their career have an interest in waiting 3 or 4 years for a real chance to start. If, say, we bring in Pindell and Washington, along with the kid Diaco recruited from Massachusetts, I would lay you 5 to 1 that one of the two true freshman are gone before the start of the '18 season. That's just how it works. That's not to say I wouldn't want all 3 of them now, and then let's see. I do want that. Just that some of you seem to want a level of QB depth that is not going to be achievable more than every so often.

Reaction Score
Pindell and Washington -- any JUCO transfer and high school senior -- are not an "either or." Pindell will be done before Washington starts his redshirt sophomore season. And if Washington beats him out before then, well, great.

Also, some of you want a level of QB depth that we are never going to have. Not many players who come to UConn to play QB are going to be really, really good QBs by the end of their career have an interest in waiting 3 or 4 years for a real chance to start. If, say, we bring in Pindell and Washington, along with the kid Diaco recruited from Massachusetts, I would lay you 5 to 1 that one of the two true freshman are gone before the start of the '18 season. That's just how it works. That's not to say I wouldn't want all 3 of them now, and then let's see. I do want that. Just that some of you seem to want a level of QB depth that is not going to be achievable more than every so often.

Yup... We don't get Top 50 QBs yet but theory still applies.

Reaction Score

BL you hit the nail squarely on the head here...Washington is available because UCF was looking to bring in 3 QB's in this class and he didn't like that. He was looking to enroll early original at UCF and put that off/...then recommitted. Whose to say he would come to UConn if they are bringing in 3 in this class.

Reaction Score
Question for Medic or other twitter researchers. Right after Edsall was announced, a Terp fan came on and gave us a list of former Edsall recruits at Maryland who were thought of as being potential grad transfers for next season. Does anyone have the time/ability to pull up these names, check twitter feeds and see if they are in play? I seem to recall that one of them looked to be a defensive end who might actually be able to run with a QB.

(It's also possible, of course, that we don't hear anything until they graduate from Maryland so they can play spring ball at College Park, and then we only hear from them in late May).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm greedy, I want all three QBs. Pindell for 2017 and 2018 and Washington & McAfee to duke it out for 2019, 2020 and 2021. Put a gun to my head, Pindell is more important than Washington. However, Washington has the stuff for a bigger upside - at least physically that is.

I think all three of these guys should not be afraid of the competition here (ie each other). Pindell clearly would have the lead on 2017 and 2018, but should he stumble, I fully expect this staff to skip right down to Washington & McAfee. Academics, injuries, etc take their toll. UConn is still offering as wide open and best opportunity for all three of these kids to play at the FBS level.

Anywhere these three kids go, if their HC has any brains, they will be pulling in new QBs to challenge them. They have too. No system should bounce along as QB depleted as we have for years.

If we land all three - its our current QB roster that has to think about moving on.

Reaction Score
I'm greedy, I want all three QBs. Pindell for 2017 and 2018 and Washington & McAfee to duke it out for 2019, 2020 and 2021. Put a gun to my head, Pindell is more important than Washington. However, Washington has the stuff for a bigger upside - at least physically that is.

I think all three of these guys should not be afraid of the competition here (ie each other). Pindell clearly would have the lead on 2017 and 2018, but should he stumble, I fully expect this staff to skip right down to Washington & McAfee. Academics, injuries, etc take their toll. UConn is still offering as wide open and best opportunity for all three of these kids to play at the FBS level.

Anywhere these three kids go, if their HC has any brains, they will be pulling in new QBs to challenge them. They have too. No system should bounce along as QB depleted as we have for years.

If we land all three - its our current QB roster that has to think about moving on.
I understand...BUT why would Washington agree to be the 3rd recruit here at QB when he could have stayed home and done the same thing? I also wouldn't count out Williams until after spring ball. IMHO if he didn't think he would be in the mix at all he would have left already.

Reaction Score
You're correct but the bolded part is also correct. Maybe I'm not understanding your point here.
Just that there's a difference between a couple (2) and a few (3-4). Would love it to be a few, but thinking it's two. Best news is he looks experienced and ready to step right in.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
BL you hit the nail squarely on the head here...Washington is available because UCF was looking to bring in 3 QB's in this class and he didn't like that. He was looking to enroll early original at UCF and put that off/...then recommitted. Whose to say he would come to UConn if they are bringing in 3 in this class.
I am hoping he sees a difference in bringing in 3 freshman QBs vs bringing in 2 freshman and 1 transfer.

And didn't UCF play a true freshman as QB last year who did pretty well? UCF has more competition for Washington to see the field than UConn. We don't have a QB, UCF already has one and they are adding more.

Reaction Score

Look, I'm greedier than you. I'd like Pindell and BS to compete for the #1 spot in spring ball, and then still would like to talk to Franklin if, after spring ball in Auburn, he learns that he's not seeing the field with his last season of eligibility and Lashlee thinks he's a better option than whomever wins the competition in spring. And that has no effect whatsoever on any of the young pups, as none of them would be expected to start this year anyway.

But what I want and what it is fair to expect are two entirely different things.

Reaction Score
Just that there's a difference between a couple (2) and a few (3-4). Would love it to be a few, but thinking it's two. Best news is he looks experienced and ready to step right in.
I think you're being a bit nit-picky there, given that a few is a relative distinction that is often used to describe as little as two.

Reaction Score
I am hoping he sees a difference in bringing in 3 freshman QBs vs bringing in 2 freshman and 1 transfer.

And didn't UCF play a true freshman as QB last year who did pretty well? UCF has more competition for Washington to see the field than UConn. We don't have a QB, UCF already has one and they are adding more.
read these:
Dr. Phillips QB Marvin Washington decommits from UCF

QB Marvin Washington talks UCF decommitment, possible FAU future

>>>>>
He committed as the only quarterback in the class last summer, but two weeks later, UCF took another commitment from Wahoo, Neb., star Noah Vedral, a player with a very comparable résumé to Frost, who was also a former Nebraska prep star.

That hoopla started Washington's uneasy feeling, but then came the commitment of Norfolk, Va., quarterback Darriel Mack and that made the picture even more crowded for Washington.

"The deal with the three quarterbacks in one class, I just decided that it wasn't the right move for me," Washington said. "I felt like, out of the three, I wasn't their guy. I wasn't the one they thought would be the guy coming in next year."
>>>>>>>>>>>

The second one will give you and idea into what this kid may be thinking.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Does anyone have the time/ability to pull up these names, check twitter feeds and see if they are in play? I seem to recall that one of them looked to be a defensive end who might actually be able to run with a QB.

Whats the pay?

(i kid)

Reaction Score
read these:
Dr. Phillips QB Marvin Washington decommits from UCF

QB Marvin Washington talks UCF decommitment, possible FAU future

>>>>>
He committed as the only quarterback in the class last summer, but two weeks later, UCF took another commitment from Wahoo, Neb., star Noah Vedral, a player with a very comparable résumé to Frost, who was also a former Nebraska prep star.

That hoopla started Washington's uneasy feeling, but then came the commitment of Norfolk, Va., quarterback Darriel Mack and that made the picture even more crowded for Washington.

"The deal with the three quarterbacks in one class, I just decided that it wasn't the right move for me," Washington said. "I felt like, out of the three, I wasn't their guy. I wasn't the one they thought would be the guy coming in next year."
>>>>>>>>>>>

The second one will give you and idea into what this kid may be thinking.

The second one shows the problem generally. The only way for a staff to bring in 2 QBs in one year, both of whom they are really high on, is probably to lie and tell each of them the staff thinks he is the #1 option.

Given that our other true freshman was recruited by the other staff, and we don't have a returning starter with 3 years of eligibility left, I still think we're in a reasonable position to land Washington, but this should show how unreasonable the depth lamentation of some here are as a general matter.

Reaction Score

Agreed that transfers are likely, but when there is a true competition between quality qbs who have time to learn a system the competition results in quality. It has been the lack of qb competition that has hindered UConn since Frazer graduated, Endres got booted and Cochran retired from football. UConn starting qbs have been more by default than competition. Did McEnteee, Whitmer, or even Sherrifs truly win a starting role vs. quality competition?

Davis ended up being a TE, Anderson was never given a serious look, there was the Lagow, Taylor, Boyle debacle, Nebrich was mishandled, just as Williams was mishandled last year. Not blaming this all on Diaco and PP as Scott McCummins, Michael Box and Casey Turner were on Edsall.

Reaction Score
Agreed that transfers are likely, but when there is a true competition between quality qbs who have time to learn a system the competition results in quality. It has been the lack of qb competition that has hindered UConn since Frazer graduated, Endres got booted and Cochran retired from football. UConn starting qbs have been more by default than competition. Did McEnteee, Whitmer, or even Sherrifs truly win a starting role vs. quality competition?

Davis ended up being a TE, Anderson was never given a serious look, there was the Lagow, Taylor, Boyle debacle, Nebrich was mishandled, just as Williams was mishandled last year. Not blaming this all on Diaco and PP as Scott McCummins, Michael Box and Casey Turner were on Edsall.

Aren't you contradicting your own point? The Boxes, Nebrichs and Turners of the world had no interest in sitting around and being a backup for years hoping that things went right and they would ultimately get a chance at the end of their careers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@FDNY99 - Funny, I was just finishing a post linking the same stories about Washington. I know, he doesn't want competition. And I get walking from UCF, they started a true freshman at QB last year and became cold in their pursuit of his commitment along with recruiting two other HS QBs for this cycle.

At the end of the day, our pitch is that he would be the most talented QB UConn has recruited from a tools perspective and so there is no reason he should not see the field in two years here or sooner if other kids (Pindell) stumble. I understand, that might not be good enough.

@businesslawyer - If we get Washington, Pindell and McAfee, then I would not bother with Franklin. As for BS, he's the man if we strike out on Pindell because I dont't want to be forced to start McAfee or Washington as a true freshman. I don't see a future at QB for DW....unless he improves his game exponentially this spring.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure why Temple was recruiting Pindell but my hunch is they were going to move him to another position. Temple has 4 scholarship QBs already on the roster including mid-year enrollee 3 star Todd Centreio.

I think a combination of UConn being able to offer playing time and Temple only having 1 or 2 more scholarships available help out a lot for UConn (not saying he wouldn't picked UConn over Temple anyway). Also, wouldn't be surprised if UConn got a commit from OL Vollmer. Temple is trying to land GT transfer Trey Klock, who is down to Temple/Northwestern. He is eligible immediately and Temple is really trying to get him, so it sounds like Vollmer is there for UConn's taking.

Glad to see things have picked up recruiting wise for you guys. Good for the conference!

Reaction Score
@FDNY99 - Funny, I was just finishing a post linking the same stories about Washington. I know, he doesn't want competition. And I get walking from UCF, they started a true freshman at QB last year and became cold in their pursuit of his commitment along with recruiting two other HS QBs for this cycle.

At the end of the day, our pitch is that he would be the most talented QB UConn has recruited from a tools perspective and so there is no reason he should not see the field in two years here or sooner if other kids (Pindell) stumble. I understand, that might not be good enough.

@businesslawyer - If we get Washington, Pindell and McAfee, then I would not bother with Franklin. As for BS, he's the man if we strike out on Pindell because I dont't want to be forced to start McAfee or Washington as a true freshman. I don't see a future at QB for DW....unless he improves his game exponentially this spring.

Getting all 3 would not stop me from taking Frankline if Lashlee believes that, between talent and experience in the system, Frankline helps us win next year. And from all their resumes to date, I think there is a good chance of that. Remember that next year, with a QB, will be our best chance to be good for the next few years.

I hope that Pindell, if he comes, would be better running the Auburn offense than BS, but BS has won games at this level and Pindell has not. I never assume the "next guy" is better than a guy we've already seen is competent until the next guy shows it. So I am assuming that Pindell is being recruited hoping he will start next year, but I'm not handing him the job until he shows it. (If Williams was our only returning QB, I would not only hand him the job but pay for overnight shipping.)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Getting all 3 would not stop me from taking Frankline if Lashlee believes that, between talent and experience in the system, Frankline helps us win next year. And from all their resumes to date, I think there is a good chance of that. Remember that next year, with a QB, will be our best chance to be good for the next few years.

I hope that Pindell, if he comes, would be better running the Auburn offense than BS, but BS has won games at this level and Pindell has not. I never assume the "next guy" is better than a guy we've already seen is competent until the next guy shows it. So I am assuming that Pindell is being recruited hoping he will start next year, but I'm not handing him the job until he shows it. (If Williams was our only returning QB, I would not only hand him the job but pay for overnight shipping.)

You make a good point about Pindell and needing to see that he can do it at the FBS level.

That said, Pindell, Washington and McAfee seem to be as talented of a pool of QB candidates since I don't know when.

Reaction Score

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if we had 3 QBs in this class come in and compete with what we already have... The underrecruiting at the QB position has to end... You can have 5,6,7 scholly guys, at RB, OL, TE, WR, LB, DL, DB, why not at QB... Somebody out of the bunch will have to rise to the top and run that offense the way it needs to be run, regardless of shortcomings up front..

Reaction Score
You make a good point about Pindell and needing to see that he can do it at the FBS level.

That said, Pindell, Washington and McAfee seem to be as talented of a pool of QB candidates since I don't know when.

Agree. But next year is a senior laden class, and we have to try to win next year. Worrying about the future, and long term building, can start in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom