2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 65 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey, hey, hey enough about your old pickup lines when you were in college!

Dynamite comes in small packages, chick's actually bought that one.

I think I'd avoid "chicks" who actually knew how dynamite is packaged when it's sold. But hey -- that's just me.

Reaction Score
dynamite comes in small packages... I expect Grimes to coach way bigger than his size...

When you meet him in person and he talks to you and your son...he admits he might be small in size but like he says.. "its what's up here" pointing to his head., "that makes me a great OL coach.. not my size but my knowledge on HOW to coach your son and teach him the fundamentals". Almost 35+ years coaching and I can tell you that within 10 minutes sitting with him you know he is going to whip these boys into shape. This staff is awesome, and Coach Grimes will do his job with the OLine.,Can't wait for gameday!

dynamite comes in small packages... I expect Grimes to coach way bigger than his size...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's a definite need for our defense.. DE.... need an edge rusher in the worst way.
I thought this kid was on the radar when I noticed Wholley or maybe it was some else following him on twitter. He shows a burst at times that reminds me of Trevardo.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So per Southpaw's handy scholarship tracker we have 5 slots left before we need to rely on attrition to make room.

The five must haves?
-Pindell or Washington (I think Pindell is coming) for QB
-Sheffield or an unknown RB (maybe Mensah?)
-DL - Abdoul Kouyate or a surprise
-Still would want more OL help, Vollmer or a transfer?
-LB - Gardner-Russaw

Bonus players - slots that will rely on attrition.
-Ali'i Niumatalolo for MLB <--I can dream, right?
-We take another RB
-Jaylon Hall WR - a 6'3'' string bean WR that has terrific straight line speed
-More OL or DL help via a transfer.

I am wondering if the staff thinks we ahve some many needs in other areas and so many good opportunities with other players that limit the QBs in this class to just two; McAfee + 1.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And the reason I think we are getting Pindell is the fact the staff hasn't been beating down the doors of more QB prospects.

Reaction Score
That's a definite need for our defense.. DE.... need an edge rusher in the worst way.
I thought this kid was on the radar when I noticed Wholley or maybe it was some else following him on twitter. He shows a burst at times that reminds me of Trevardo.
Reminded me of Trevardo as well.
Pretty quick off the edge. Wow.

Reaction Score
So per Southpaw's handy scholarship tracker we have 5 slots left before we need to rely on attrition to make room.

The five must haves?
-LB - Gardner-Russaw

-We take another RB

I am wondering if the staff thinks we ahve some many needs in other areas and so many good opportunities with other players that limit the QBs in this class to just two; McAfee + 1.

Anyone have a visitor list for this weekend? I think the only one I have heard definitively is Kouyate.

PS - Pindell has his UConn offer announcement pinned on twitter, not his Temple offer or visit video. Has to be a good sign :)

Reaction Score
Anyone have a visitor list for this weekend? I think the only one I have heard definitively is Kouyate.

PS - Pindell has his UConn offer announcement pinned on twitter, not his Temple offer or visit video. Has to be a good sign :)

Mensah is supposed to be in and I heard rumblings about Gardner-Russaw.

Reaction Score

The five must haves?
-LB - Gardner-Russaw

-We take another RB

Hoping for Pindell at this point... Washington was following RichRod and the boys in AZ on twitter

Reaction Score

The five must haves?
-LB - Gardner-Russaw

-We take another RB

Did you subtract Fortt? Early enrollies count against last year not this year so if you counted him then we should have 6 left.

Reaction Score
Did you subtract Fortt? Early enrollies count against last year not this year so if you counted him then we should have 6 left.
this was my understanding as far as recruiting went as well, which is why you'd see in upwards of 28 new scholly players on the roster in the coming year at schools not named UConn... don't think we've ever done that...

Reaction Score
For those who are twitter blocked @ work... Abdoul Kouyate is a 6-3 250lb DE/LB from Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey. Appears to have reclassified after transferring from Cardinal Hayes HS in da Bronx. Current offers are BGSU, UMass? San Diego, Sacred Heart, Wagner and Morgan State.

SEASON HIGHLIGHTS - Abdoul Kouyate highlights
Wow, he's seriously quick! Hope he decides Storrs is where he wants to spend the next four years!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
this was my understanding as far as recruiting went as well, which is why you'd see in upwards of 28 new scholly players on the roster in the coming year at schools not named UConn... don't think we've ever done that...
Aren't you conflating the annual cap with the gross cap? There is an annual limit on the number of new scholarships a school can grant and there is a gross cap. I don't think Fortt's enrollment in January helps with the gross cap issue of 85 scholarships, only the annual cap.

Now, I have a question about PWO who have received scholarships. Are those awarded with the understanding that its for that year and may not be renewed the following year? On this roster, we have several kids on scholarship as PWO conversions who will never see the field, no matter how many injuries we have. And I should add that I have a ton of respect for all of the kids, particularly the walk ons, PWO and kids who have won scholarships as PWOs. All of these kids help make the team practice better and thats important. Its also a great accomplishment.

Reaction Score

Not sure I understand. Because Fortt is still on scholarship. So when discussing how many total we have left, we are at 80 for next year and that means we have 5 left to give. Maybe you meant per class? There is a cap, I think 25 per class, but we aren't close to it yet.

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand. Because Fortt is still on scholarship. So when discussing how many total we have left, we are at 80 for next year and that means we have 5 left to give. Maybe you meant per class? There is a cap, I think 25 per class, but we aren't close to it yet.

was DT Blackwell's available scholly counted in your count?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So what's the OV tally for this weekend? Is there anyone else for certain besides Sheffield and possibly Mensah and Gardner?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So what's the OV tally for this weekend? Is there anyone else for certain besides Sheffield and possibly Mensah and Gardner?
I thought Pindell was coming this weekend, although I don't have an official source on that.

In other news - in playing around with the 247 class ranking tool, I think we'll move from #109 to approx #90 after this weekend. More importantly, it should feel like the best class we have had in years in we land who we all think we will land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom