2017 Commit - Marvin Washington (Orlando Florida) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 Commit - Marvin Washington (Orlando Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about we move the discussion on the QB competition for next year off the kid's commitment thread?

Outside of the "I get all the tweets and deserve my message to like ratio" award, you also get the Temery award for today.

Reaction Score
The team quit in the second half of the ECU game. I don't think it's fair to assume that would have been the rest of the season of Diaco didn't take away our chance to compete.
I 100% disagree with you...once a team quits on a coach and staff...it's done! There isn't that let's hold hands, sing kumbaya and have a love fest to get back together.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In terms of balance across recruiting classes (something I thought would take a few years) we now theoretically have a senior (Shirrefs), s junior (Pindell), a sophomore (DW), a freshman (one of the two recruits) and a freshman redshirting (the other of the two recruits) along with a one-time walk on with good size and a strong arm (Bisack) for potential depth.

This is amazing! If we can fix the offensive line we may be in business before too long.

Reaction Score
Outside of the "I get all the tweets and deserve my message to like ratio" award, you also get the Temery award for today.

Geez it's not like every thread that mentions Bryant Sheriff doesn't degenerate like this?;)

Reaction Score
Until I see anything more than a cryptic message on instagram about Sherriffs I will believe it when I see it. I also don't think he is a good fit in the offense Lashlee ran at Auburn and he learned from Malzhan. The offense requires the QB to throw the deep ball and be accurate as a passer. The 2 things Sherriffs does NOT do well. I just want to know what you guys are gonna do if Williams actually wins the job and beats him out if he does indeed come back.
I don't know what anyone else will do but pal will be calling for whoever is the backup to take over!

Reaction Score
I don't know what anyone else will do but pal will be calling for whoever is the backup to take over!
LOL...you have that right. I can see a mini meltdown on here though. For some reason BS is viewed as a savior.

Reaction Score
That anyone would be basing anything on what Diaco did last season is beyond idiotic. Do you have eyes? Any power of observations whatsoever? Do you really think a rational person could have thought substituting Williams for Shirreffs was going to make the team better?
Your delivery is kind of dickish, but your overall point is a good one. We should put zero stock in anything that happened with Diaco as we move forward. Zero.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
McAfee reminds me a lot of DW physically and has developed even more in his Sr. highlight film. Puts nice touch on the ball and throws hard when he needs to:

Washington good arm for his size, good vision and quick feet in the pocket. Elusive runner gives you some options if things break down:
Senior Year #10 N.A..T.I.O.N - Marvin Washington highlights - Hudl

Excited they'll both be in the mix in a couple of years but hard to predict how they develop. Now they have a little time to sort things out.

Glad you mentioned McAfee. Kid has been a UConn solid all the way and is a winner. I am thrilled to have Washington, but it baffles me that people seem to see him as the better recruit than McAfee. I hope they both turn out great.

As for next year, I would be shocked if Pindell isn't the opening day starter. If he isn't I think it would be because one of the young kids beat him out. If Shirreff's comes back, I think he's a nice, veteran backup. It will be interesting to see who redshirts. Both McAfee and Washington? One of them plus Williams? The staff has a lot of evaluation to do at this position in the next several months.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
One of very many perplexing questions from 2016 ... Davis looked very good early in the season.
Diaco & Co got nervous as the season went on and kept Bloom and Myers in a lot more for blocking purposes.

Utilized correctly, Davis is a matchup nightmare for opposing D's.

Reaction Score
Glad you mentioned McAfee. Kid has been a UConn solid all the way and is a winner. I am thrilled to have Washington, but it baffles me that people seem to see him as the better recruit than McAfee. I hope they both turn out great.

As for next year, I would be shocked if Pindell isn't the opening day starter. If he isn't I think it would be because one of the young kids beat him out. If Shirreff's comes back, I think he's a nice, veteran backup. It will be interesting to see who redshirts. Both McAfee and Washington? One of them plus Williams? The staff has a lot of evaluation to do at this position in the next several months.
I just feel Lashlee decided the talent needed am immediate upgrade at the position. It's been a crime the way Diaco recruited at that spot.

Reaction Score
LOL...you have that right. I can see a mini meltdown on here though. For some reason BS is viewed as a savior.
Your take on this is wrong. A few posters who love bashing Shirreffs keep pushing this mantra that anyone who sticks up for BS somehow views him as our savior. Nobody has said that. It's a false narrative.

Most of his supporters just recognize what should have been painfully obvious. Despite his flaws, he's the best (healthy) QB we've had on the roster in the last 5-6 years. And until we signed a JUCO, there was no logical argument to be made that we had a better QB on the roster.

I know you have your mind set on what Lashlee will run, and maybe Williams is a better fit. But that's all speculation. Even if his physical traits are more suited, his decision making was terrible.

I haven't seen anyone say they don't want the best QB on the field. Some of us believed that was BS. Some here just enjoy to repeatedly point out his faults, as if we had better options.

Well now we do have options, and as much as I wanted BS to come back, I believe Pindell is better and will be the guy for the next two years. If he is, great, if he's not, well we've got problems again. I just want the best QB on the roster to play. Last year that was BS. Next year it probably won't be.

Reaction Score
Both guys might get a look but expect they will redshirt. Pindell, Sherriffs, Williams, and anyone else will compete this year. It will be a two horse race for the job very quickly either by attrition or competition.

BS is on top until someone takes it, but I wouldn't say he is a lock.

Assuming the ideal would be BS this year. Pindell next year, and one of the two HS QB's in 2019.

But, when has our QB position ever followed a plan. We will probably end up playing 3 QBs this season, all but one will transfer out next season and the remaining guy will get hurt in game 3.
I think the ideal would be Sherriffs gets beat out by a large margin. Not a knock on Sherriffs but it would be a huge step up at QB if it happend. Pindell?

Reaction Score
Your take on this is wrong. A few posters who love bashing Shirreffs keep pushing this mantra that anyone who sticks up for BS somehow views him as our savior. Nobody has said that. It's a false narrative.

Most of his supporters just recognize what should have been painfully obvious. Despite his flaws, he's the best (healthy) QB we've had on the roster in the last 5-6 years. And until we signed a JUCO, there was no logical argument to be made that we had a better QB on the roster.

I know you have your mind set on what Lashlee will run, and maybe Williams is a better fit. But that's all speculation. Even if his physical traits are more suited, his decision making was terrible.

I haven't seen anyone say they don't want the best QB on the field. Some of us believed that was BS. Some here just enjoy to repeatedly point out his faults, as if we had better options.

Well now we do have options, and as much as I wanted BS to come back, I believe Pindell is better and will be the guy for the next two years. If he is, great, if he's not, well we've got problems again. I just want the best QB on the roster to play. Last year that was BS. Next year it probably won't be.
I agree with you on some of your points...my mind is set on what Lashlee will run as an offense because that's what he knows and that's what he has done. If he throws more that does nothing to take away how his running attack will go. As for throwing more..if you want to see Sherriffs on the field that isn't what you want.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Williams wasn't ready. But my complaints about Shirreffs were all mental, and happened before he was hurt. He doesn't look downfield when he scrambles. He has no feel for the pocket, and starts running, often into the rush, as soon as there is even slight pressure. He locks on to receivers and doesn't go through progressions. His accuracy when throwing on the move is terrible.

Ironically, as he got hurt, he seemed to improve in some of those areas. I'd be happy to have him back, and it is always helpful to have a guy with experience, and who is such a tough competitor. He certainly is that. But if he's the starter, we're in trouble. I expect Pindell will win the job.

Reaction Score
Well said

His running is very poor too, not just the average because that factors sacks

If he wants to remain around football he should come back in some capacity. The kid is tough and loves to compete and that has to be good in the locker room.

Williams wasn't ready. But my complaints about Shirreffs were all mental, and happened before he was hurt. He doesn't look downfield when he scrambles. He has no feel for the pocket, and starts running, often into the rush, as soon as there is even slight pressure. He locks on to receivers and doesn't go through progressions. His accuracy when throwing on the move is terrible.

Ironically, as he got hurt, he seemed to improve in some of those areas. I'd be happy to have him back, and it is always helpful to have a guy with experience, and who is such a tough competitor. He certainly is that. But if he's the starter, we're in trouble. I expect Pindell will win the job.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on some of your points...my mind is set on what Lashlee will run as an offense because that's what he knows and that's what he has done. If he throws more that does nothing to take away how his running attack will go. As for throwing more..if you want to see Sherriffs on the field that isn't what you want.

I don't know how else to say it other than I want to see the best QB on the field. I don't care what his name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom