2017-18 college basketball thread - Merged threads Archive | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2017-18 college basketball thread - Merged threads Archive

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Young was averaging 29 points and 9 assists before tonight!

Last player with 22 assists in a game was Sherman Douglas in 1989.

Pretty incredible.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He sent me down a youtube rabbit hole; I started watching video after video of different guards.

He reminds me a lot of Shabazz ... on amphetamines and steroids.

Reaction Score

@BLUEDOGHOUSE looks like SHU will have to keep Carrington on ball.

After SH knew they were not getting Duval...they promised Walker the keys at PG from day 1. He even made that comment post commitment when asked why SH.

He then got an injury and when he returned against Rutgers got a DNP if not mistaken. Keep in mind SH was desperate for a PG for this year and the future. Carrington is a natural 2. So Walker just quit when the expectations given by the staff were not met in his eyes.

This is my take. Academics and off court issues could always be a contributing factor but his gift of a promise that he took and was somewhat reneged caused him to leave.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
After SH knew they were not getting Duval...they promised Walker the keys at PG from day 1. He even made that comment post commitment when asked why SH.

He then got an injury and when he returned against Rutgers got a DNP if not mistaken. Keep in mind SH was desperate for a PG for this year and the future. Carrington is a natural 2. So Walker just quit when the expectations given by the staff were not met in his eyes.

This is my take. Academics and off court issues could always be a contributing factor but his gift of a promise that he took and was somewhat reneged caused him to leave.

Anthony Nelson should do just fine next year. I'm not losing too much sleep if I'm Kevin Willard.

Reaction Score

Kid needs to grow up, he was out with injury and didn't get any tic his first game back in a rivalry game in a hostile environment. JellyFam gonna jellyfam.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Houston vs PC is a big game tonight. League needs some quality wins.

Reaction Score
Should be a blowout win for Houston. PC is really struggling.
Yeah, didn’t notice til last night, but they struggled just as much as we did, if not more, with Stony Brook this past Sunday.

Reaction Score
Young was averaging 29 points and 9 assists before tonight!

Last player with 22 assists in a game was Sherman Douglas in 1989.

Pretty incredible.
I love Trae Young. Overlooked because of his AAU teammate Michael Porter Jr., spurns Calipari, then has the best freshman season since maybe Kevin Durant. Has already risen his stock from second rounder to top 5 pick. Awesome talent and story.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, didn’t notice til last night, but they struggled just as much as we did, if not more, with Stony Brook this past Sunday.

And Dartmouth gave Notre Dame a hell of a game last night. We always over-react to close wins over teams like this. The game has changed and many of these lower tier teams can rain down three pointers, and most of them have smart, disciplined players who just aren't elite athletes.

That's the new reality of college basketball. The three point shot is more of an equalizer than ever. If you look at who those schools recruit, often they are players who are less athletically skilled, but who box out, defend, and take care of fundamentals very well. The more highly rated kids are often flawed or raw fundamentals, and get away with it due to athletic ability.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I love Trae Young. Overlooked because of his AAU teammate Michael Porter Jr., spurns Calipari, then has the best freshman season since maybe Kevin Durant. Has already risen his stock from second rounder to top 5 pick. Awesome talent and story.

Dude averaged something like 43 points a game in his senior year, so maybe we should have seen it coming!

Reaction Score

I bit my tongue when MAL was committed to UConn...and didn't say "This guy is so OVERRATED with NO shot and I am not that excited at all to have him"

Well now I will say it:
"This guy is so OVERRATED with NO shot and I am not that excited at all to have him"

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Although I expect him to be better next year for an NIT Providence team. By Junior year be a 11/6 guy. So there is hope a few years from now! :)

Reaction Score
Houston is good. I'm not just basing that on one game against a struggling Providence team. They've been good all season and deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament if the season ended today. (Actually, they have that one inexplicable loss that might keep them out, but other than that they've played at the level of a top 30 team).

When you see a veteran team like Providence playing as poorly as this, you wonder about what else might be going on. They lost a game early to Minnesota but looked to have turned things around after that - they won one of the preseason tournaments in NYC demolishing a Washington team that just beat Kansas, they smoked a decent BC team and looked to be rolling to another at-large bid. Then they lost to Rhode Island, UMass, struggled in a couple buy games, and now trail Houston by 12 in what should be a home game for them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Houston still up 12. PC cutting the lead.

For those who keep bitching about our OT win over an Ivy team, Princeton beat USCw. Ivy teams are brutal to play. They shoot well and don’t hurt themselves.

Reaction Score
Houston is good. I'm not just basing that on one game against a struggling Providence team. They've been good all season and deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament if the season ended today. (Actually, they have that one inexplicable loss that might keep them out, but other than that they've played at the level of a top 30 team).

When you see a veteran team like Providence playing as poorly as this, you wonder about what else might be going on. They lost a game early to Minnesota but looked to have turned things around after that - they won one of the preseason tournaments in NYC demolishing a Washington team that just beat Kansas, they smoked a decent BC team and looked to be rolling to another at-large bid. Then they lost to Rhode Island, UMass, struggled in a couple buy games, and now trail Houston by 12 in what should be a home game for them.

Maybe Cooley has been hanging out in Blue Back Square too much.

Reaction Score
Houston still up 12. PC cutting the lead.

For those who keep bitching about our OT win over an Ivy team, Princeton beat USCw. Ivy teams are brutal to play. They shoot well and don’t hurt themselves.
Please stop, Columbia is horrifically bad.

Reaction Score
Funny there are those who wished they had Cooley rather than KO. How you feeling now? They have deep talent and size, shooters everything and are underachieving tremendously. But they have time to figure it out because they aren't Uconn LOL

And Houston? Talented, big and they have Gray. Gray was really good, then Gray was really bad. He was great only to allow PC back in the game when he missed about 5 in a row mid way through the 2nd half and close to 5 minutes left. He basically just called his name every time down and took whatever was available to him, some shots that weren't smart. Listen I know people love him here and the kid can score because he did early, but he's all about his. And Sampson allows it. (The bun is cute too). I believe we only play the Cougars once and it's the last game of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Funny there are those who wished they had Cooley rather than KO. How you feeling now? They have deep talent and size, shooters everything and are underachieving tremendously. But they have time to figure it out because they aren't Uconn LOL

And Houston? Talented, big and they have Gray. Gray was really good, then Gray was really bad. He was great only to allow PC back in the game when he missed about 5 in a row mid way through the 2nd half and close to 5 minutes left. He basically just called his name every time down and took whatever was available to him, some shots that weren't smart. Listen I know people love him here and the kid can score because he did early, but he's all about his. And Sampson allows it. (The bun is cute too). I believe we only play the Cougars once and it's the last game of the regular season.

I think Chris Beard is a really really good coach. His Freshman recruiting class Smith, Culver and Moretti is extremely legit. Even Ondigo (Putnam Science) a projected project I think will be a big contributor next year. They could finish top 4 in Big 12 or higher.

Cooley is perfect for PC. He has already made excuses for injuries/or certainly whined excessively about it. Rinse and repeat next year for PC with MAL at PG. Is he even shooting 15% from 3? 50% from the line? He will have a few flukey good games though this year bla bla bla

Another bubble year for PC if they are lucky (with 3 senior starters).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom