2016 Recruiting Thread | Page 50 | The Boneyard

2016 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Ed Sadloch ‏@edsadloch Jan 9 San Antonio, TX

Congrats to Nick Zecchino to be offered as a long snapper at UConn! #PanthersRise

I think this is more of a PWO than a full schollie but I'm not sure.

Anyway, Zecchino is 6'1" 205 lbs LS from Cedar Grove, NJ. Attends Cedar Grove High School. Was also his team's starting QB and played DB for as well.

Rated as the 22nd best LS in the 2016 class by Kohls Kicking

http://kohlskicking.com/profile/nick-zecchino/20358/

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1429552

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
It appears that (former?)Auburn commit Daquan Newkirk is will be heading the JuCo route.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Ha. You're a joke. Sorry mr. or mrs. Boyle. And no cringe worthy doesn't mean he sucks. He's just hard to watch when under center. And the team flounders on offense as we have seen. This is a message board for fan bases to converse. I obviously struck a nerve with you. And I obviously hurt your feelings. He didn't pan out. Next man up and move along.

Thankfully you are not part of our recruiting team...

Reaction Score
that's the same coach that he committed to initially at James Madison before de-committing and committing to us...

We better not lose him to them.. IMO, wouldn't be a good look for us if that happens..

Reaction Score
Congrats to Nick Zecchino to be offered as a long snapper at UConn! #PanthersRise

Anyway, Zecchino is 6'1" 205 lbs LS from Cedar Grove, NJ. Attends Cedar Grove High School. Was also his team's starting QB and played DB for as well.

Good genes... dad was a long snapper @ Tennessee.

Reaction Score
KSargeantNJ 7:20pm via Twitter Web Client
Prized QB recruit Anthony Russo decommits from Rutgers.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...quarterback_anthony_russo_decommits_from.html

>>The 6-3, 225-pounder from Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Pa.) committed to Rutgers in May, over offers from Buffalo, UConn, Temple and a number of FCS schools<<

>>At the time, he was being brought to Piscataway to run a pro-style offense, which fits his skill-set best. But in the aftermath of former head coach Kyle Flood being fired, new head coach Chris Ash hired Drew Mehringer, who runs more of a spread offensive system.

There has been speculation that Temple could be a destination for Russo. Meanwhile, LSU has also expressed significant interest in him as National Signing Day approaches.<<

Reaction Score
Just did a little digging on Bell - his dad is the HC at East Orange High in New Jersey, Tyraiq Beals and Omaine Stevens's alma mater. That alone would put us in a pretty good position.

Jamar Summers also posted a picture of Tre Bell on instgram. AND Bell's following every UConn football player on his instgram account. It's a lock he's coming here

A little more smoke w/ maybe a glimmer of an ember?

J_Sum212:27am via Twitter for iPhone
Bro coming to UCONN.@T_Bell4

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Hmmmm... awaiting second source confirmation.

KohlsKicking 11:14am via Twitter Web Client
Congratulations to Kohl's 5-star Long Snapper Nick Zecchino on accepting a full scholarship offer from #UConn!

Reaction Score
That is kinda weird.. this guy must be the greatest long snapper we've ever recruited if we're giving him a scholly.

I think it speaks to the lack of depth at LS and the coaches thinking this was a position of great need.

Reaction Score
CampaignKJG_59:35am via Twitter for iPhone
No hard feelings, just a business decision.

Boston College Football Recruiting: KJ Gray Decommits From Eagles
http://www.bcinterruption.com/2015/...ball-recruiting-kj-gray-decommits-from-eagles

List adjusted...

Will it be Rutgers, UConn or UMass for WR K.J. Gray?
http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1632059-k-j-gray-rutgers-uconn-or-umass

>>At this point, Gray said he is yet to settle on official visits, but he plans on making trips, including one to Rutgers. He is also speaking regularly with Connecticut and Massachusetts.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW, I read an article on KJ Gray where he implied that he was looking fwd to playing for Don Brown on D at BC, but when Brown left he re-opened his recruiting...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Zero issues with giving a scholarship to a long snapper. Part of the reason we had punts/kicks blocked this year was the snap time from the LS to the Holder took forever. This is the most underrated part of the kick game. If you can shave a half second or full second even off of a long snap you do it. Timing is literally everything in football but especially so in special teams situations.

Edit- wanted to show a real example of how this can affect games. UConn lost to Missouri 9-6. Blocked punt that led to a safety and blocked extra point. No guarantees a faster snap prevents both kicks from getting blocked but it definitely wouldn't have hurt. Could've been the difference in a 7-7 game going into OT and a 9-6 "what if" loss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zero issues with giving a scholarship to a long snapper. Part of the reason we had punts/kicks blocked this year was the snap time from the LS to the Holder took forever. This is the most underrated part of the kick game. If you can shave a half second or full second even off of a long snap you do it. Timing is literally everything in football but especially so in special teams situations.

Edit- wanted to show a real example of how this can affect games. UConn lost to Missouri 9-6. Blocked punt that led to a safety and blocked extra point. No guarantees a faster snap prevents both kicks from getting blocked but it definitely wouldn't have hurt. Could've been the difference in a 7-7 game going into OT and a 9-6 "what if" loss.

While I have no problem either giving a scholly to a well-deserved long snapped, Dominic Manco had no issues last year. No bad snaps whatsoever. Don't act like you sat there with your stop watched and timed his snaps either. Our blocked kick issues resulted from poor blocking or low trajectory kicks, or backed up punts inside your own endzone. Dude was as consistent as you could possibly be as a LS.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
While I have no problem either giving a scholly to a well-deserved long snapped, Dominic Manco had no issues last year. No bad snaps whatsoever. Don't act like you sat there with your stop watched and timed his snaps either. Our blocked kick issues resulted from poor blocking or low trajectory kicks, or backed up punts inside your own endzone.

Just because he didn't have any wild snaps doesn't mean he got the ball back as fast as it needed to be snapped back there. A blocked kick attempt is on everyone involved in the process. If they think its a position that needs upgraded and that this guy can get the snap back there quicker than Manco then its a no brainer really.

Reaction Score
Just because he didn't have any wild snaps doesn't mean he got the ball back as fast as it needed to be snapped back there. A blocked kick attempt is on everyone involved in the process. If they think its a position that needs upgraded and that this guy can get the snap back there quicker than Manco then its a no brainer really.

Manco is graduating. It's not that they are upgrading. And again no he didn't have issues. Did you sit there and clock him? Did you really say on our blocked kicks that it took a noticeably long time to get the ball in the P's or Holders hand? No. Because it didn't. He was a very good LS, who never made news like LS's shouldn't. We are giving out a scholly to this kid because our LS always has a scholly and Manco is graduating. There is obviously no one on the roster who doesn't already have a scholly that deserves one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom