2015 HS Recruiting - Oct update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2015 HS Recruiting - Oct update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That would mean a full roster of 15 for 2016. Which would give UConn 2 top 10 teams in the 2 0r 3 following years.

Only 200 available minutes per game. Unless there are numerous "busts" or injuries that just isn't going to work.

Reaction Score
I agree that playing time would be an issue but if Cox and McCoy wanted to come to Storrs, would you turn them down ?

Reaction Score
Cal-Berkeley just picked up a verbal from PG Asha Thomas: #26 FC, #54 PN, #87 HG, #112 ASGR, NR BS.
Actually #300 from BS.
Composite rank = #75.
Moves Cal to #13 class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree that playing time would be an issue but if Cox and McCoy wanted to come to Storrs, would you turn them down ?

I'd take either with Cox as my first preference, but look at the roster upfront, keeping in mind that minutes will increase with years.

'16: Tuck, Butler, Boykin, Collier, Irwin.......Cox/McCoy

'17: Butler, Boykin, Collier, Irwin.......Cox/McCoy

Butler played 36 minutes/game at Georgetown. She won't get that at UConn but 30 doesn't seem out of the question. Collier is a potential superstar IMO and could log 25 as a freshmen. Boykin's got a chance to be very good too. And then Cox will be a 30-minute player, McCoy likely not far behind that.

Reaction Score
I'd take either with Cox as my first preference, but look at the roster upfront, keeping in mind that minutes will increase with years.

'16: Tuck, Butler, Boykin, Collier, Irwin..Cox/McCoy

'17: Butler, Boykin, Collier, Irwin..Cox/McCoy

Butler played 36 minutes/game at Georgetown. She won't get that at UConn but 30 doesn't seem out of the question. Collier is a potential superstar IMO and could log 25 as a freshmen. Boykin's got a chance to be very good too. And then Cox will be a 30-minute player, McCoy likely not far behind that.

What would you play Samuelson?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
What would you play Samuelson?
Lou is a sharpshooting wing. Think of a taller, less bulky KML with better handles. She can post up smaller players, but she's more perimeter than front court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What about with MCoy? You wouldn't recruit her any longer in favor of the posts for 2017? And what about Aiyeotan? You'd pass?
McCoy is still one of the premier post players in the class, in any class for that matter. I've heard nothing to the contrary that UCONN is still recruiting her. Hope she has a trip planned to Storrs some time soon.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think the max we can take from the 2016 group is 4 and we have 2 already so that leaves just 2 more, if Geno even has the opportunity to take 2 more.
I agree, if he could get any 2 of Cox, McCoy and Ayieotan, he should.
That would mean a full roster of 15 for 2016. Which would give UConn 2 top 10 teams in the 2 0r 3 following years.
I can understand that the Cox and McCoy seem like players you cannot refuse, but I think UConn will get another guard in 2016 (perhaps in addition to one of those 2). The reason I say this is while there are 4 guards in the 2014 class, there are none in 2015 and so far only 1 in 2016. Would Geno really want to get just a single guard over a 2-year span? Seems pretty unbalanced. Not fatally flawed or anything, but less than desirable.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I can understand that the Cox and McCoy seem like players you cannot refuse, but I think UConn will get another guard in 2016 (perhaps in addition to one of those 2). The reason I say this is while there are 4 guards in the 2014 class, there are none in 2015 and so far only 1 in 2016. Would Geno really want to get just a single guard over a 2-year span? Seems pretty unbalanced. Not fatally flawed or anything, but less than desirable.

I'm not so sure in this case. He needs ball-handlers/floor generals, and he has that in Jefferson, Dangerfield, Edwards, Nurse, and perhaps Chong. So then the other thing you'd normally want out of your guards is shooting. Whatever deficiencies that group might have in that area can be made up for with their wings Samuelson and Ekmark.

In all honesty I'm not so sure they NEED anything else through '16, but since I believe Cox is a 'franchise' talent I'd definitely keep trying to get her.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure in this case. He needs ball-handlers/floor generals, and he has that in Jefferson, Dangerfield, Edwards, Nurse, and perhaps Chong. So then the other thing you'd normally want out of your guards is shooting. Whatever deficiencies that group might have in that area can be made up for with their wings Samuelson and Ekmark.

In all honesty I'm not so sure they NEED anything else through '16, but since I believe Cox is a 'franchise' talent I'd definitely keep trying to get her.
I was thinking ball handling and guarding other teams' guards. I'm not sure you'd want Samuelson doing that. And Ekmark probably shouldn't either, but she's in a class with plenty of guards, so that's not a concern. As far as guard need, I don't anticipate any until the 2014 class graduates, and if Dangerfield is the only guard in the 2016 class, then Geno would be relying on freshman/sophomore guards to play the 2 and spell the 1. Again, not a fatal flaw but less than desirable, IMO.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was thinking ball handling and guarding other teams' guards. I'm not sure you'd want Samuelson doing that. And Ekmark probably shouldn't either, but she's in a class with plenty of guards, so that's not a concern. As far as guard need, I don't anticipate any until the 2014 class graduates, and if Dangerfield is the only guard in the 2016 class, then Geno would be relying on freshman/sophomore guards to play the 2 and spell the 1. Again, not a fatal flaw but less than desirable, IMO.

Trust me, under no circumstances would I have KLS or Ekmark defending guards. Nurse, Edwards, and Dangerfield all have reputations as quality defenders, plus Jefferson for another year so I think they're okay from that standpoint.

I'm not sure I understand which year(s) you are referring to when UConn would have fr/so at guard.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou, De'Janae and Napheesa are more than enough. Next year the team will be beyond loaded: Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Saniya, Kia, Sadie, Courtney, Gabby, Natalie, Katie Lou, De'Janae and Napheesa. There really isn't any more room for other players. Most top-level players don't want to collect splinters. Size, speed and depth. Lauren Cox would be looking at playing backup center behind Natalie or backup power forward behind Morgan. Her sophomore year she would get more minutes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Katie Lou, De'Janae and Napheesa are more than enough. Next year the team will be beyond loaded: Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Saniya, Kia, Sadie, Courtney, Gabby, Natalie, Katie Lou, De'Janae and Napheesa. There really isn't any more room for other players. Most top-level players don't want to collect splinters. Size, speed and depth. Lauren Cox would be looking at playing backup center behind Natalie or backup power forward behind Morgan. Her sophomore year she would get more minutes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but reading this leads me to believe you have Cox in on next year's team? She's a 2016. Either way, it would be interesting to see how that would work with her and Butler on the squad together for two years.

Reaction Score

'16: Tuck, Butler, Boykin, Collier, Irwin..Cox/McCoy

'17: Butler, Boykin, Collier, Irwin..Cox/McCoy

In 2016 - Tuck is a wldcard. Will she be healhty? Will she want to stay or leave with Stewie and MoJeff? Now you've just given Cox/McCoy Tuck's minutes if she leaves.

Reaction Score

Supposedly that's not what Geno is thinking. You can read the KI thread. First post on it, and here is a link. In the body it seems Geno is looking for 2 posts and 1 guard. He has the guard and one post.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ream-was-uconn-basketball-20141021-story.html

Reaction Score

And slu is right. In 2016 we'll have Chong as a sr, our freshman guards wil be jr's and frosh Dangerfield.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In 2016 - Tuck is a wldcard. Will she be healhty? Will she want to stay or leave with Stewie and MoJeff? Now you've just given Cox/McCoy Tuck's minutes if she leaves.

Tuck's health is always a question but for the moment she seems fine so I think we have to go with that in any hypothetical scenario. I can't see her leaving early but who knows. It would still be a logjam for two years anyway. The result of bringing in such talented players.

Reaction Score
Tuck's health is always a question but for the moment she seems fine so I think we have to go with that in any hypothetical scenario. I can't see her leaving early but who knows. It would still be a logjam for two years anyway. The result of bringing in such talented players.

If Tuck is healthy - other than Stewie, Lloyd andMoJeff - who is better?

Tuck looked really, really, really good last year.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Trust me, under no circumstances would I have KLS or Ekmark defending guards. Nurse, Edwards, and Dangerfield all have reputations as quality defenders, plus Jefferson for another year so I think they're okay from that standpoint.

I'm not sure I understand which year(s) you are referring to when UConn would have fr/so at guard.
I am referring to the year after the 2014 class graduates. Clearly UConn will not lack guards before that time. But after the 2014's graduate, UConn will have just a single guard to go along with lots of 3's, 4's, and 5's in the senior (KLS, Collier, and Boykin) and junior (Dangerfield, Irwin, Cox/McCoy) classes. That is, unless Geno snags another guard in 2016 to pair with Dangerfield. If not, then the starter at the 2 would have to be a sophomore or a freshman. Again, not a serious liability, but not entirely desirable either.

Supposedly that's not what Geno is thinking. You can read the KI thread. First post on it, and here is a link. In the body it seems Geno is looking for 2 posts and 1 guard. He has the guard and one post.
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball-blog/hc-kyla-irwin-dream-was-uconn-basketball-20141021-story.html

And if you read that link, the thinking BEFORE the Irwin commitment was 1 post with two guards. But after Kyla committed, he changed his thinking to 2 posts (Kyla and another yet-to-be-determined) and Dangerfield. There are a couple ways to interpret that. First, it may be that he is so far along with the recruiting of McCoy and/or Cox (or Felecia A.) that he doesn't want to stop that process. Or he thinks the 2nd post would be a talent he could not refuse, i.e., they would bring something special to the team and the post position that he fears Kyla cannot. He could just absolutely LOVE Kyla, but still wants a shot-blocking presence in the post. Hence, when Kyla committed, he figured he'd have to alter his plan of getting a second guard in 2016 and instead get a second post.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am referring to the year after the 2014 class graduates. Clearly UConn will not lack guards before that time. But after the 2014's graduate, UConn will have just a single guard to go along with lots of 3's, 4's, and 5's in the senior (KLS, Collier, and Boykin) and junior (Dangerfield, Irwin, Cox/McCoy) classes. That is, unless Geno snags another guard in 2016 to pair with Dangerfield. If not, then the starter at the 2 would have to be a sophomore or a freshman. Again, not a serious liability, but not entirely desirable either.

And if you read that link, the thinking BEFORE the Irwin commitment was 1 post with two guards. But after Kyla committed, he changed his thinking to 2 posts (Kyla and another yet-to-be-determined) and Dangerfield. There are a couple ways to interpret that. First, it may be that he is so far along with the recruiting of McCoy and/or Cox (or Felecia A.) that he doesn't want to stop that process. Or he thinks the 2nd post would be a talent he could not refuse, i.e., they would bring something special to the team and the post position that he fears Kyla cannot. He could just absolutely LOVE Kyla, but still wants a shot-blocking presence in the post. Hence, when Kyla committed, he figured he'd have to alter his plan of getting a second guard in 2016 and instead get a second post.

I can't get my head around what you're saying. Geno has the 2016 and 2017 classes to recruit guards so the position will be adequately covered when the the 2014's graduate in 2018. I know Kyra Irwin repeated what she thought Geno said but, again, we really don't know what the remainder of the 2016 class will look like. I'll look for information from the Horde on how and with whom Geno intends to fill out the rest of the 2016 class and even then it may be subject to change. Geno then has the 2017 class to recruit some guards. I also don't get the concern about starting a freshman or soph at the 2-guard spot, particularly in a year when there will be plenty of experienced players to fill the other positions. The starter at the 2-guard spot this season is likely to be a freshman or soph. Moriah Jefferson started at the point as a sophomore and led UConn to a national championship. If, come 2018, Megan Walker is a Husky (just as an example), there won't be much concern.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To echo what Cat was saying and to answer what Choke was asking... AFTER the 2014 kids graduate the roster will look like this:

SR: Collier, Boykin, Samuelson
JR: Dangerfield, Irwin, ??
SO: ??
FR: ??

UCONN already has their 1 of the future. I do not see any of the others as guards, which has pretty much been said by both of you. Given the 2014 class is so guard heavy, I would be surprised if UCONN landed another high level guard from 2016 unless Chou or Ionescu really wants to come. He already offered Espinosa-Hunter from 2017. He also was reported checking out Gondrezik (a 2016 guard) but i'm not sure how far that went. I'm guessing he takes a couple guards from 2017, at least 1 will be a very high level 2G, which would likely be the starter as a sophomore. I'm guessing he's looking at classes of at least 3 now - no one likes a class of 1, and classes of 2 are not ideal either. But it depends on how it all shakes out...

Reaction Score
According to the chart, #'s 4,5,7 and 9 haven't committed yet. So, there still cold be some major shifts in the rankings.

Regarding guards of the future..Andrea Espinoza-Hunter and Mo'ne Davis are already wearing Husky sweatshirts.
Andrea will be a top rated guard. Mo'ne is an incredible natural athlete, a fanatic about mechanics, with years to prepare for her goal to play at UConn. (Tony C, do you want to chime in?)

Reaction Score
According to the chart, #'s 4,5,7 and 9 haven't committed yet. So, there still cold be some major shifts in the rankings.

Regarding guards of the future..Andrea Espinoza-Hunter and Mo'ne Davis are already wearing Husky sweatshirts.
Andrea will be a top rated guard. Mo'ne is an incredible natural athlete, a fanatic about mechanics, with years to prepare for her goal to play at UConn. (Tony C, do you want to chime in?)
But Mo'ne throws like a girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro