Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
th
I'd prefer this one.

1394925618PlayerOfTheYear-14.jpg

Reaction Score
Yep I screwed that up. I was thinking Stewart's, Williams/Nurse's, and Samuelson's, forgot Chong was in-between. Doh!

I'd be happy with 1 post and 1 guard out of 2016. Especially if like McCoy and Dangerfield. Then maybe add in a rolish player. Or a "UCONN type" player who may or may not get a lot of time.

To quote Meatloaf " Two out of three ain't bad" But all three would be fantastic.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
It's surprising how volatile the ESPN HoopGurlz listings are for 2015 considering that there have been no high school games being played since the spring. The UConn recruits are now 1-7-22.

Reaction Score
It's surprising how volatile the ESPN HoopGurlz listings are for 2015 considering that there have been no high school games being played since the spring. The UConn recruits are now 1-7-22.

The ESPN ratings are done by Dan Olson. ESPN has been publishing them with a lag from when Olson actually updates them.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The ESPN ratings are done by Dan Olson. ESPN has been publishing them with a lag from when Olson actually updates them.

Vowelguy, interesting. Obviously someone was doing the list but I wasn't aware of Olson (whose site is obviously intended for WBB professionals and he charges accordingly). My question is: were you making a point about the status of the Samuelson, Collier and Boykin ratings or just providing info on the source of the ESPN HoopGurlz ratings?

I'd certainly be curious about what motivates Olson to drastically change the positions of certain players from one list to another in the absence of any current competition. To go from 1-4-12 to 1-7-22 is quite a change.

Reaction Score
I'd certainly be curious about what motivates Olson to drastically change the positions of certain players from one list to another in the absence of any current competition. To go from 1-4-12 to 1-7-22 is quite a change.

My point was two-fold:
First, the ESPN ratings changed a while ago. I can't remember when but I'd say a couple of months ago.
Second, Olson may have changed his ratings in June but ESPN didn't publish them until august.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
My point was two-fold:
First, the ESPN ratings changed a while ago. I can't remember when but I'd say a couple of months ago.
Second, Olson may have changed his ratings in June but ESPN didn't publish them until august.

Ah, I see, but are you aware of any changes in Olson's rating since that time? And this still doesn't explain his changes for Collier and especially Boykin, although I see he added a couple of European girls to the list.

Reaction Score
Ah, I see, but are you aware of any changes in Olson's rating since that time? And this still doesn't explain his changes for Collier and especially Boykin, although I see he added a couple of European girls to the list.
The changes to Collier and Boykins rankings are NOT new.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The changes to Collier and Boykins rankings are NOT new.

In my last message, I didn't say they were "new." I got your point on that issue. However, I'm confused. You insist that they're not new and yet your graphic in the first posting on this thread shows them at 1-4-12 when they are currently listed on HoopGurlz at 1-7-22. Please explain.

Reaction Score
Duke, UNC, and Purdue were the notable moves up in the past month

View attachment 7150
I know it's difficult to set up a system and assign points to determine the school with the best class but I'm unsure how Duke, for instance, can have a higher assignment for points than UConn. They do have one more recruit but two of their four recruits have a rating of 33 and 44. Those ratings would seem to reflect kids who will not provide MAJOR contributions on the court. Seemingly, UConn's kids who are all top 15 should provide appreciably more to the mix and there are numerous people here who have continually expressed the opinion that bigger classes actually can be somewhat negative. They've said the optimum would be to have three recruits in every recruiting year. On those two levels, it would seem that UConn should have the higher rating! Actually, to that point, if you take a look at Louisville, they seem to have a big class with a few kids whose ratings suggest they may not be major contributors either. It seems our newest recruit (Kylie) has been spoken of as potentially little more than a practice player by a few though I, myself, am not of that opinion. There are others who've taken a "wait and see" in regard to her potential contributions but she is still in the developmental stage (class of 2017), where she can grow exponentially in the next couple of years, til she is a high school senior. Your chart reflects the class of 2015, meaning these girls are rated as seniors so their potential as college freshman is likely to be appreciably more accurate. Your charts have reflected how many changes have occurred, even in the last months as far as positions on the chart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my last message, I didn't say they were "new." I got your point on that issue. However, I'm confused. You insist that they're not new and yet your graphic in the first posting on this thread shows them at 1-4-12 when they are currently listed on HoopGurlz at 1-7-22. Please explain.

Ah I see.
My graphic is not showing the HG rankings. It shows the composite rating from Asgr, blue star, ProspectsNation, ESPN, and full court.

Reaction Score
Rated 7th by Blue Star.

Still think two is more than enough for '16. PT is going to be an issue as is. Plus the '17 class is loaded.

So we have 2 now for 2016- so you wouldn't go after Cox, Ionescu or McCoy?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Well, I can't say I saw the addition of Irwin coming. I'm still not sure how she fits in considering all the young talent upfront that will be around her. That said, there's no way you don't keep recruiting a talent like Cox. I don't see Ionescu as a legit target anymore considering all the backcourt/wing types they've accumulated. But even with a stacked frontcourt, you can't give up on Cox.

Reaction Score
If we add 2 in the low 300s we'll be #1 again. Stupidest poll I've ever seen.

Interesting that you say that. You realize that it's not really a poll. It's a chart. Or maybe you didn't.
There has been a lot of discussion of the methodology used in VG's charts on this board and he's always looking for tweaks that could improve the outcomes.
You might try some constructive criticism, it usually is a more effective technique than name calling. Though even before analyzing the constructive criticism, the source must be considered. And in this case, it will probably fall short of consideration.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, I can't say I saw the addition of Irwin coming. I'm still not sure how she fits in considering all the young talent upfront that will be around her. That said, there's no way you don't keep recruiting a talent like Cox. I don't see Ionescu as a legit target anymore considering all the backcourt/wing types they've accumulated. But even with a stacked frontcourt, you can't give up on Cox.
Irwin is most likely a role player. Think Maria Conlon, Lorin Dixon, Wilnett Crockett, or even Kaili McLaren. I realize Kaili was rated much higher probably Wilnett and Lorin were too), but I suspect Kyla will come off the bench her entire career at UCONN and be a solid role player.

UCONN can't recruit all kids in the top 10 or even top 20, unless you only want about 8-9 kids on the roster. You have to have other players who are smart, super hard working, selfless, and willing to do whatever the team needs. UCONN was Kyla's dream school - a place she fantasized about playing for since she was a young girl. She's a coaches daughter and by all accounts an incredibly hard worker and a smart player to boot.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
McCoy is super high on our radar. Cox has indicated a willingness to possibly leave Texas, something new to a lot of us. Ionescu, no, IMHO. Same for Chou. We don't need any more guards from 2016 since we already have Dangerfield.

Dangerfield and Irwin on board. Going super hard after McCoy. Looking hard at Ayieotan. Even if we got both of them, Cox would be welcomed IMHO. Some kids you take no matter who else you have.

Reaction Score
McCoy is super high on our radar. Cox has indicated a willingness to possibly leave Texas, something new to a lot of us. Ionescu, no, IMHO. Same for Chou. We don't need any more guards from 2016 since we already have Dangerfield.

Dangerfield and Irwin on board. Going super hard after McCoy. Looking hard at Ayieotan. Even if we got both of them, Cox would be welcomed IMHO. Some kids you take no matter who else you have.

I think the max we can take from the 2016 group is 4 and we have 2 already so that leaves just 2 more, if Geno even has the opportunity to take 2 more.
I agree, if he could get any 2 of Cox, McCoy and Ayieotan, he should.
That would mean a full roster of 15 for 2016. Which would give UConn 2 top 10 teams in the 2 0r 3 following years.

Reaction Score

What about with MCoy? You wouldn't recruit her any longer in favor of the posts for 2017? And what about Aiyeotan? You'd pass?

Reaction Score

Thanks eric didn't know about Aiyeotan on the radar- I guess 6'9 you will be on radar.

Reaction Score
Cal-Berkeley just picked up a verbal from PG Asha Thomas: #26 FC, #54 PN, #87 HG, #112 ASGR, NR BS.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UCONN can't recruit all kids in the top 10 or even top 20, unless you only want about 8-9 kids on the roster.

Well the problem--if one can call it that--is that that's basically what they've done. PT is going to be a serious issue in '15 and '16.

Just out of curiosity, where are you hearing about UConn's huge interest in McCoy? I know they've been looking at her for a least a year but there haven't been any articles on her/UConn in a long time. Do you know someone close to the situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom