2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 43 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So from what the BY has been able to gather, we are looking at the following to round out the class.

Njuko <--WR (tall) out of NJ with OSU visit scheduled. Looks like we are choice #2 here.
Wingate <--WR (tall) out of NJ committed to Stony Brook. Transcript issues might be gumming up the commitment process here.
Peace <--LB out of VA (good frame) with UVA in heavy pursuit
Egbuaba <--LB out of MD (raw/fast) with several D1 programs in pursuit, but no offers.
Rochelin <--DE (tall/raw/fast) out of CA with several D1 programs in pursuit, but no offers.
Merritt <--DL out of NJ (great motor/great technique/sheds blockers well) - possible BC lean.
Aspostolu <--OL/DL out of PA (size)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Love the kids combo is size and speed. Not tall, but appears to carry his weight very well. Gets upfield into the back field to disrupt the passer and running game. Showcases a bunch of moves and sheds blockers well. I like what I see there.

And it gets a great jump off the snap beating his blocker and shooting the gap. I'd really like to see this kid come to UConn.

Noa Merritt - possible measurable: 6'0" 260lbs
For comparison:
Campenni: 6'0'' 298lbs
Mikal Myers: 6'1'' 295lbs
Willman: 6'4'' 267lbs <--will graduate this spring

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Out of that list of schools I think he'd have a seriously better shot at seeing the field earlier with us... yeah, biased opinion, but this kid breeds upside upside upside.. and the other school mentioned typically grab the kids that are already experienced. Would be a major recruiting coup to get him to Storrs imo....
Wow!! Hadn't played since Pop Warner and plays like that? Something to be said for natural athleticism I guess. Plays with great leverage and explosion. Just goes to show you, recruiting sites can't know about a kid like that, but I bet you coaches are salivating right now figuring out how to fit a kid like that into their class this late in the game.

Reaction Score
So from what the BY has been able to gather, we are looking at the following to round out the class.

Njuko <--WR (tall) out of NJ with OSU visit scheduled. Looks like we are choice #2 here.
Wingate <--WR (tall) out of NJ committed to Stony Brook. Transcript issues might be gumming up the commitment process here.
Egbuaba <--LB out of MD (raw/fast) with several D1 programs in pursuit, but no offers.
Rochelin <--DE (tall/raw/fast) out of CA with several D1 programs in pursuit, but no offers.
Merritt <--DL out of NJ (great motor/great technique/sheds blockers well) - possible BC lean.
Thanks for the summary Exit...should make it easier to track some of these guys. Just FYI, one of the recruits, Egbuaba, has offers now from UConn, Maryland, Virginia and Oklahoma according to Scout. Other services make no mention of OK offer. Conflicting info on whether he'll be visiting UConn or not, and most sites have him visiting MD this weekend and VA next weekend. Seems most interested in VA at this point.

Last edited:

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Interestingly, ESPN/Scout updates their assessment of Watkins. Rates him a three star and #100 of WRs. Frankly, I don't know how they go about the ranking part....seems impossible to rank the kids beyond providing the basic scoring grade.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/190929/anthony-watkins

Here is his scouting report via ESPN:

Size-Strength-Speed
Really well proportioned, rangy athlete with good height and layered bulk. Has some functional strength to his build. He is more explosive than he is top end fast. Can be physical when he needs to be and uses his strength and leaping ability to make plays.

Separation Skills
Just average. Does not have a sudden surge off the line, but does have a strong stride. Muscles through routes when he has to. Can push off subtly and create some space, but against top level competition may not just run by people like he does here.

Ball Skills
Excellent. He has big, strong hands. Shows consistent focus and will make some spectacular grabs when covered. Does a nice job of timing jumps and extending above his head or behind him to make plays on the ball. Quickly transitions after he tucks and does not show lapses in concentration.

Big Play Ability
Adequate. He makes a lot of plays on the ball and he has productive experience in the return game. However, he really stands out against this level of competition and may not have as many explosive capabilities against upper tier competition.

Bottom Line
Lawrence is a good, well-rounded football player that could be a candidate as a safety at the next level as well. He stands out here. He makes a lot of plays when called upon and is a mismatch. It will be interesting to see if he creates the same mismatches at the FBS level. He is one of those prospects that does many things well, but may not be special in any one area. His ball skills and feel for the game are his best assets.

Reaction Score

Also Patterson <--WR out of CA w/ multiple west coast offers.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the summary Exit...should make it easier to track some of these guys. Just FYI, one of the recruits, Egbuaba, has offers now from UConn, Maryland, Virginia and Oklahoma according to Scout. Other services make no mention of OK offer. Conflicting info on whether he'll be visiting UConn or not, and most sites have him visiting MD this weekend and VA next weekend. Seems most interested in VA at this point.
Most recent Rivals article says he will be making a midweek official visit to UConn between the MD and UVA dates. As previously stated had a good relationship with coach Dex from when he was at UVA.

Reaction Score
Here is his scouting report via ESPN:

Size-Strength-Speed
Really well proportioned, rangy athlete with good height and layered bulk. Has some functional strength to his build. He is more explosive than he is top end fast. Can be physical when he needs to be and uses his strength and leaping ability to make plays.

Separation Skills
Just average. Does not have a sudden surge off the line, but does have a strong stride. Muscles through routes when he has to. Can push off subtly and create some space, but against top level competition may not just run by people like he does here.

Ball Skills
Excellent. He has big, strong hands. Shows consistent focus and will make some spectacular grabs when covered. Does a nice job of timing jumps and extending above his head or behind him to make plays on the ball. Quickly transitions after he tucks and does not show lapses in concentration.

Big Play Ability
Adequate. He makes a lot of plays on the ball and he has productive experience in the return game. However, he really stands out against this level of competition and may not have as many explosive capabilities against upper tier competition.

Bottom Line
Lawrence is a good, well-rounded football player that could be a candidate as a safety at the next level as well. He stands out here. He makes a lot of plays when called upon and is a mismatch. It will be interesting to see if he creates the same mismatches at the FBS level. He is one of those prospects that does many things well, but may not be special in any one area. His ball skills and feel for the game are his best assets.

I love the "Ball Skills" part.. that's what we need.. A WR with Ball Skills

Reaction Score
I love the "Ball Skills" part.. that's what we need.. A WR with Ball Skills

I was thinking the exact same things. Last season was tough enough. In the stretch when the WR's struggled to make some key catches (wide open TD drops etc.) this will be a welcome addition. One thing is for certain his ball skills are very noticeable on film.

Reaction Score
LMAO:

liam.jpg

TerpsCompliance12:21pm via Web
Signing Day's coming up and#ComplianceLiamNeeson is adamant that you leave recruiting 2 the Coaches#DontTweetAtPSAspic.twitter.com/wrPDDhQZ16

Reaction Score

Most recent Rivals article says he will be making a midweek official visit to UConn between the MD and UVA dates. As previously stated had a good relationship with coach Dex from when he was at UVA.

Egbuaba described Poindexter as "a nice and a positive person" and as the main reason that UConn is now in the picture.

As with most staff changes - you see new recruiting doors opening but this new staff has some fresh juice.

Reaction Score
We all assumed that one of the consequences of going through a coaching change would be a weakened 2014 recruiting class, Diaco and crew might be able to turn that completely around. Our 2014 recruiting class could end up being stronger because of the coaching change.

Reaction Score
We all assumed that one of the consequences of going through a coaching change would be a weakened 2014 recruiting class, Diaco and crew might be able to turn that completely around. Our 2014 recruiting class could end up being stronger because of the coaching change.

It seems those existing ties with other prospects not originally on Uconn's radar. I am pleased so far with how the recruiting trail has picked. We can only hope this means a brighter future.

Reaction Score
My thought about prior staffs was that a fair number of them just couldn't sell what we had to offer. I think that improved with the addition of Buggs and Weist lsat few years...but over all we still lacked that overall selling power by the staff as a whole...and have NEVER had a true closer at head coach (both Edsall and Pasqualoni suffered at this..although P was a much better closer than Edsall). It will be interesting to see how this staff does going forward..especially with all of them being on the same page as the head coach...who in my mind is a true closer as a recruiter.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Committed there on the 3rd. Still time to switch that commitment.

Reaction Score
desmondconner6:17pm via Twitter for iPhone
Vontae Diggs, a 6-4, 200-pound outside linebacker and #BallState commit from Downers Grove, IL set to visit #UConnFootballthis weekend...

Other offers from WMU and Toledo

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9334099

http://www.themblock.com/2013/01/2014-names-to-watch-vontae-diggs.html

Committed there on the 3rd. Still time to switch that commitment.

I wanna know who's chasing him on UConn end. We're bouncing all over the country this week!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hey everyone, Rivals has us offering a 3-star OT from Texas, but I can't seem to figure out what the kid's name is. Anyone have any info on it? I'd love to figure out who Diaco just hit up with that offer...

Reaction Score
Hey everyone, Rivals has us offering a 3-star OT from Texas, but I can't seem to figure out what the kid's name is. Anyone have any info on it? I'd love to figure out who Diaco just hit up with that offer...

He's a 2015 kid... posted in there yesterday. Sam Tecklenburg

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member