2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 44 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have to say that I'm disappointed with Rivals in some ways (although I know the other sites do the same thing): our four new commits just ended up getting the obligatory 2-star, 5.2 rating, because they signed with UConn and not someone else. Johnson got a 2-star, 5.4, but only because he's from Florida (so they gave him the extra 0.2 RR).

I'm quite sure that none of the four got a real look from Rivals, so they fill in the blanks. I guess you have to fill in something, but I hate that they flat out generalize their ratings based on who they sign with...

Reaction Score
desmondconner9:25pm via Twitter for iPhone
Derek Allen, 6-6, 280, OT from Edison, N.J. visiting #UConnFootball this weekend...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/682074/highlights/116952375

Offer from Navy. Interest from Pitt/Rut/Temple

I'll go ahead and say that if things continue the way they Diaco has them, the military academies are not going to happy with UCONN, and we better be ready to play when we match up on the field. I will take a player that fits the profile of the academies at UCONN any day and twice on Saturdays.

Reaction Score
I have to say that I'm disappointed with Rivals in some ways (although I know the other sites do the same thing): our four new commits just ended up getting the obligatory 2-star, 5.2 rating, because they signed with UConn and not someone else. Johnson got a 2-star, 5.4, but only because he's from Florida (so they gave him the extra 0.2 RR).

I'm quite sure that none of the four got a real look from Rivals, so they fill in the blanks. I guess you have to fill in something, but I hate that they flat out generalize their ratings based on who they sign with...
Espn has only rated Watkins of the 4 but gave him a 3 star 77 overall rating which is tied with Newsome for best in our class

Reaction Score
Needs to gain about 30-40 lbs., but he'll definitely play on Sundays, based solely on his name.;)

He looks like a 3-4 OLB rushing the passer. Taylor made for it. He needs to put on some weight, but I don't see him as a DE long term. Reminds me of Jalen Stevens from a year ago.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Me too.

Based on the initial influx of recruits the OL was the biggest area of need identified by Diaco and the staff. They shored up things with Rutherford, quickly got Hashemi and are going after a couple more. Allen may also be a DT prospect. The vigor with which they are going after linemen may not bode well for Bradford and his rumored grade issues. I also think the S&C changes were an indictment of the OL play.

Reaction Score
malikkrushJan 23, 7:58pm via Twitter for Android
So the Uconn Coach told me today:
Those times will not get you on the track team. But they'll get you a football scholarship lmao

Courtney Rush a 6-2 190lb WR/DB from Windsor High School (CT).

(For Carl ;) http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=5034044 :p)
Isn't he a Junior, class of 2015??

You are correct... (misread MaxPrep). Wondered if they were in school primarily to see Keith Benjamin?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also think the S&C changes were an indictment of the OL play.
Interesting thought there Rock. You might be onto something. Diaco, and possibly Foley too, may have thought that these guys should have been more developed than they were...so in spite of the positive reputation....time to make a change. Speculation on my part...but certainly seems plausible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HCBD is on record saying commitments will be honored; he never said the same about offers. We have no idea who the staff feels "offers" are now out to and how many more they need to bring in.

Reaction Score
Needs to gain about 30-40 lbs., but he'll definitely play on Sundays, based solely on his name.;)
I like Diggs as a SS in a 3-4. He's got good size, moves well, and is a sure tackler against the run.

Reaction Score
Virginia connections @ work?

CP ‏@_ChrisPeace40m
UCONN huskies just called me

Chris Peace 6-3 225lb DE/LB/TE from Denbigh HS in Newport News VA. No offers yet.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2893539/christopher-cp-peace

Chris Peace of Denbigh is heating up!
http://www.recruit757.com/peace-picks-new-offers/

>>Coach John Wiley is recruiting Chris for East Carolina and Coach Wayne Lineburg, formerly of the University of Richmond, is now recruiting Peace for UConn. Chris visited the University of Richmond back in November. In addition to all of this new found interest and the new found offers, Chris added an offer this morning from a school that had every intention of attending Monday’s Senior Showcase, but they missed the event. Assistant Coach Tripp Weaver at The Citadel offered Chris this morning.<<

_ChrisPeaceJan 24, 6:06pm via Twitter for iPhone
Let my weekend start �pic.twitter.com/la7Spi570808

peace.jpg

Hope we drop a couple of big Pepe's pizzas in his room along w/ a cookie and a couple of pints of Dairy Bar ice cream to put on the cookie!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
_ChrisPeaceJan 24, 6:06pm via Twitter for iPhone
Let my weekend start �pic.twitter.com/la7Spi570808

Hope we drop a couple of big Pepe's pizzas in his room along w/ a cookie and a couple of pints of Dairy Bar ice cream to put on the cookie!!!!

UVA site (thesabre) has a blurb on him saying he isn't anticipated to commit this weekend even if he gets a UVA offer. He intends to take a visit next weekend to either Albany or a better offer.

http://virginia.sportswar.com/article/2014/01/25/cavs-hosting-three-on-official-visits/

Reaction Score
desmondconner6:17pm via Twitter for iPhone
Vontae Diggs, a 6-4, 200-pound outside linebacker and #BallState commit from Downers Grove, IL set to visit #UConnFootballthis weekend...

Other offers from WMU and Toledo

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9334099

http://www.themblock.com/2013/01/2014-names-to-watch-vontae-diggs.html

We'll see...

core6athletes10:13am via Twitter for iPhone
#UConn has offered CORE6 LB from Downers Grove North Vontae Diggs.

Core6 is an Illinois Training Center that runs showcase events.

Reaction Score
My bad if this was posted earlier.. looks like this kid also wrestles and is currently up to 285lbs... listed at only 6'1 241lbs on rivals.

New Jersey Herald ‏@NJHerald 8h
PJ's Noa Merritt decommits from Western Michigan as BC, Temple, UConn take interest http://Post original url/1dXQnJH @PopeJohnLions

Was visiting up north this weekend:

bcinterruption9:01am via SB Nation
Boston College Football Recruiting: Former Western Michigan Commit Noa Merritt Visits Heights sbn.to/1n18XVc

Edit add - Must have been a good visit -

30 minutes ago
“@dasheett: Thank you to my family, friends and all those who have supported me along the way. I am now committed to Boston College! #GoEagles! #BeADude”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Updated w/ Benjamin confirmation.

LB- Chris Britton (Harrisburg HS, PA) - January
DB- Jamar Summers (Prep @ Milford Academy) (Orange NJ)

QB- Logan Marchi (St. Paul HS, CT)
RB- Arkeel Newsome (Ansonia CT)
RB - Bryce McAllister (Suffield Academy)
RB/LB - Ron Johnson (Palmetto Ridge HS, Naples FL)
TE - Alec Bloom (Ligonier Valley PA)
WR - Anthony Watkins (The Lawrenceville School - Lawrenceville NJ)

OL- Trey Rutherford (Kent School CT)
OL - Lamont Bradford (Timber Creek HS NJ)
OL - Steve Hashemi (St Joe's Trumbull CT)

DT - Keith Benjamin (Windsor HS CT)
DE/TE- Luke Carrezola (Neshaminy, PA)
DT/OG- Sheriden Lawley (The Lawrenceville School - Lawrenceville NJ)
LB/DE- Tom Rodrick (Leicester, MA)

*Becoming concerned about Bradford - academics rumored to still be a question and he wasn't allowed/permitted up this week w/ the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom