2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
A 6'7" TE who can run and catch is a great asset. Personally I don't care where he plays as long as he becomes an All-American and first round NFL draft choice.

Reaction Score
Serious question.....how many TE's do we need? I think we have 2 or 3 this year and this would be the third for 2014.

Reaction Score
Serious question.....how many TE's do we need? I think we have 2 or 3 this year and this would be the third for 2014.

Have to say I agree. Fuchs, Carrezola, now Bloom, in the last class we had Meyers, and Quinn Thompson. The NYC kid, Stapleton is playing OLB, so that is 5 the last two classes. Guess we were a little thin going into this year.

Reaction Score

They need more to run double tight end sets ;)

"As more teams start to incorporate double-tight end packages into their game plans, the H-back or "move" tight end becomes a bigger weapon in the passing game. Teams are adding basketball player-types at the position, and the combination of size and athleticism puts defensive coordinators in a quandary when determining how to match up with the package."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-end-formations-will-hit-nfl-by-storm-in-2012

I don't pay as much attention to position when they commit, some of these kids are still growing.

Reaction Score

I'd say 5 is good 6 at most. If I'm not mistaken we have 6 next year on scholarship, McQuillan, Myers, Thompson, Fuchs, Carrezola, Bloom....

Who knows maybe they move Carrezola to DE.

Reaction Score
MikeDyer 4:53pm via Twitter for iPhone
UConn offered Summit Country Day (Cincinnati) senior QB Antonio Woods as an offensive athlete this afternoon, says Summit coach Mike Brown #enqr

6-1 175lb 3* w/ offers from Akron, BGU, Cincy, Illini, Indiana, Kent St, Miami (Ohio), Northwestern, Penn, Toledo and WVA.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1204300/highlights/17185376

From an April 2013 article:

"Woods is a dangerous dual-threat signal caller at Summit, where he ran for 876 yards and 10 touchdowns (8.8 yards per carry) on the ground and completed 90 of 173 passes (52 percent) for 1,276 yards and 21 scores through the air. He says that he'd be happy to catch passes rather than throw them, however. "I've always wanted to try receiver," he says."

Also plays point guard and he led Summit Country Day to the Ohio state title last season. He has basketball offers from Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Toledo, Eastern Kentucky, Manhattan w/ interest from St. Joe's and Marquette.

Reaction Score
How many indeed.

Just taking a stab at this, but the Bloom article on TOS has him at 6'7" 242 with another year of growing before he gets to UConn. 250-260 as an incoming freshman then a redshift year to hit the weight room and you have an athletic OT. In addition, the staff worked out Carrezola at DE and LB when he was in camp so there is versatility there.

Not worried at all about too many TEs as they are versatile athletes that could play many positions. Stapleton is already listed at DE on the UConn roster. The only ones that seem pegged for only TE are Myers and Fuchs. Thompson and Carrezola are classic blocking TEs and can shift to the other side of the ball if needed.

The cupboard was pretty bare at TE years and be thankful there were no injuries to Griffin or Delehunt. 4 or 5 TES is a good problem to have. Edsall could land lots of Olinemen, but always had difficulty landing TEs. Seems that Coach P is the opposite.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree with the idea of bulking him up, but I think in the direction of D-line. Maybe it's because this Giants fan still hasn't forgiven them for years ago trading away the overall 1st round draft pick to the damned Cowboys for Craig Morton. That pick turned into Ed "Too Tall" Jones.:mad:

Just the worst trade ever....

Reaction Score
Just taking a stab at this, but the Bloom article on TOS has him at 6'7" 242 with another year of growing before he gets to UConn. 250-260 as an incoming freshman then a redshift year to hit the weight room and you have an athletic OT. In addition, the staff worked out Carrezola at DE and LB when he was in camp so there is versatility there.

Not worried at all about too many TEs as they are versatile athletes that could play many positions. Stapleton is already listed at DE on the UConn roster. The only ones that seem pegged for only TE are Myers and Fuchs. Thompson and Carrezola are classic blocking TEs and can shift to the other side of the ball if needed.

The cupboard was pretty bare at TE years and be thankful there were no injuries to Griffin or Delehunt. 4 or 5 TES is a good problem to have. Edsall could land lots of Olinemen, but always had difficulty landing TEs. Seems that Coach P is the opposite.

Was't it stated in the past that Fuchs has the agility/speed to be more of a TE/WR type? Nothing against him at all, but his Bloom kid doesn't look anywhere near as quick as Fuchs on tape.

Reaction Score
BLOOM KID LOOKS VERY TALENTED----HE WILL DO VERY WELL AT UCONN -- FUCHS IS FAST, ALSO HAS QUICKNESS, AND LATERAL QUICKNESS..AND AGILITY--
FUCHS WILL ONLY GET BIGGER AND FASTER (40 TIME IS 4.69) VERT IS 36 6FT6 232 LOVES CONTACT--JUST LOVES PHYSICAL PLAY---AND CATCHES EVERYTHING---- HE IS AT MILFORD (AKA PRISON CAMP) AS OF THIS MESSAGE---- WOULD HAVE PREFFERED TO BE ON CAMPUS--BUT THAT WASNT FUCHS' CALL-
Who's call was it?

pj

Reaction Score
Wish he could have been on campus too but looking forward to his arrival in January!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
JimWilsonTG 2:05pm via HootSuite
Leicester LB Tom Rodrick picked up another D1 offer, adding UConn to a list that already included UMass. Expect more to come.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Rodrick made 91 tackles and had a Central Mass-best 14 sacks for Leicester and made 24 tackles and two sacks in the playoffs. He also rushed for 410 yards as a fullback for Leicester.

Desmond Conner (@desmondconner)
8/7/13, 7:20 PM
#UConnFootball gets commitment from Tom Rodrick, 6-3, 220-pound LB/DE from Leicester, MA

Was between us and UMass.

Reaction Score
TJ Hairston tweeted tonight he is taking an unofficial to uconn tomorrow to meet with Weist. His twitter is @tjhairston26

Reaction Score
Thanks, Medic! Vid won't download for me but I trust it's better than the one I found.

Deleted my post.

It is.....much better.....I watched both and I could see your thoughts previously......I assume it was the difference between a sophomore to junior highlight film jump and the kid made vast improvements.....especially in the explosiveness and getting up field after catching the ball department. He should go hands in both clips but he turned into a good looking athlete in the medic's vid.

Reaction Score
We need a juco TE that can block in this recruiting class. No question way too much inexperience.

Reaction Score
If you look at key Offensive skill positions (excepting QB ... where I think PP has far better prospects than HCRE) ... we have been thin and less impressive than our previous regime.

Edsall could pull a Brockington or Bellamy in after Caulley went down. Then, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman. I don't see that now. With a far better platform, PP hasn't gotten it done.

At TE, as I see McQuillan go down, UConn has a wonderful group of TEs since 2003.

At WR? Shakim Phillips and Geremy Davis might be our best 2 starting guys; and I love the idea of Deshon Foxx ... let's see what he produces. But, I feel like we are thin here as well. We seemed to NOT have superstar WRs the past 10 years; but we had depth.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm hoping, wishing and waiting on a JUCO lineman/transfer lineman or any type of lineman. Anyone who comes has an opportunity to joint a team with a rep for producing NFL lineman and an opportunity for nearly immediate playing time. Ringthebell on that one GDL!

Reaction Score
Reminded me it was time to update old HFD list (RIP)...

QB- Logan Marchi (St. Paul HS, CT). Temple*
OL- Chaz Wright (Prep @ Milford Academy) (Woodbridge, VA) NCst*
OL- Rennick Bryan (2nd yr @ Dean JuCo- MA) (Hillhouse, CT)). Temple*
OL- Trey Rutherford (Kent School CT)
OL
DL-
DE/TE- Luke Carrezola (Neshaminy, PA). Temple*
LB/DE- Tom Rodrick (Leicester, MA) UMass
LB- Chris Britton (). Pitt* - I'd strike until more info is available
DB- Jalan Branford (Prep @ FUMA-VA) (Reading PA)
DB- Jamar Summers (Prep @ Milford Academy) (Orange NJ)
WR/Athlete-Justin Noye (Rochester NY). Rutgers*, Temple*
TE- Jordan Fuchs (Prep @ Milford Academy)(CTK, NYC)) Rutgers*, Ist*
TE - Alec Bloom (Ligonier Valley PA)
RB- Arkeel Newsome (Ansonia CT)
RB - Bryce McAllister (Suffield Academy).) Army*
RB/WR/ATH-
ATH/K/LB/P-

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
thanks huskymedic. i didnt realize chris britton's status is in doubt. bummer.

Reaction Score
thanks huskymedic. i didnt realize chris britton's status is in doubt. bummer.

Sound like he is in doubt... JB on you know where confirms indecision. Sounds like he's not sure what he wants to do - doesn't appear Prep is on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom