2014-2015 Starting Lineup | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2014-2015 Starting Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nolan is a tough bastard. As noted he is a terrific ball screen defender, almost chris bosh like how he flashes and gets back to his man. Played with great defensive iq as the year wore on. The question is, will he offer enough on offense to get the nod at the 4? I expect he starts and if things are clogged up ollie makes a quick sub for facey who might be a better spot up shooter in the mid range.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
I have consistently seen Facey referred to as a stretch 4 in this thread. IMO, a stretch 4 is a legitimate big, who can consistently knock down 3s, thereby stretching the other team'sinterior defense by forcing a big to come out and defend on the perimeter because the stretch 4 can knock down an open jumper from deep. Charlie Villanueva is what I would consider the epitome of a stretch 4 - although his 3 pt % in the pros has left something to be desired.

I may not know enough about Facey's game, but I thought coming out of high school he was a rebounding, shot blocking, defensive menace, who got points in the paint off rebounds and athleticism. I guess he may have more of a face up than back to the basket game, but without a solid jumper, he wouldn't stretch the defense. I guess I never thought of him as a perimeter jump shooter, but would be pleased to be told I'm wrong and that he has a solid jump shot. Please let me know what I'm missing about either the definition of a stretch 4 or Facey's game.

Also, I don't understand why we can't go with 2 interior guys like Nolan and Brimah together. It's the norm in the pros. Plus,, we've certainly used 2 bigs together in the past. While I know Drummond and Oriaki were a disaster, Emeka, Boone and Hamilton did a nice job together for a few years. Emeka and Selvie coexisted nicely in 2002. Travis Knight and Kirk King always seemed solid as a pair to me and Thabeet and Adrien were a menacing rebounding duo. While I see a stretch 4 creating nice advantages for driving lanes, I don't understand why playing 2 bigs together is a bad idea. We've been anhialated on the boards for the last 2 years. Why not go with a taller lineup (assuming Brimah and Nolan can up the rebounding numbers from last year)? I thought that we played small at the 4 for the last 2 years because of our perimeter talent. If Brimah and Nolan have improved, aren't there distinct advantages to going big?

Will someone with a higher basketball IQ enlighten me or at least discuss the interior dynamics of playing Brimah and Nolan together?

Reaction Score
I think Sam Cassell JR is and will be a better player than Omar this season. I think Omar was exposed last season. Shot has too low of a release point, can't dribble, and a below average defender.

I disagree with your assessment about Omar's low release point on his shot... I think he just needed to adjust after undergoing surgery on both hips in the previous off season... I think he'll be better for us with a full off season to work out and not just sit and heal... He's my darkhorse... Cassell, I think, will fit right in as well ... Our backcourt is lethal across the board...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Omar can't dribble. Therefore, he won't start.

Reaction Score
I have consistently seen Facey referred to as a stretch 4 in this thread. IMO, a stretch 4 is a legitimate big, who can consistently knock down 3s, thereby stretching the other team'sinterior defense by forcing a big to come out and defend on the perimeter because the stretch 4 can knock down an open jumper from deep. Charlie Villanueva is what I would consider the epitome of a stretch 4 - although his 3 pt % in the pros has left something to be desired.

I may not know enough about Facey's game, but I thought coming out of high school he was a rebounding, shot blocking, defensive menace, who got points in the paint off rebounds and athleticism. I guess he may have more of a face up than back to the basket game, but without a solid jumper, he wouldn't stretch the defense. I guess I never thought of him as a perimeter jump shooter, but would be pleased to be told I'm wrong and that he has a solid jump shot. Please let me know what I'm missing about either the definition of a stretch 4 or Facey's game.

Also, I don't understand why we can't go with 2 interior guys like Nolan and Brimah together. It's the norm in the pros. Plus,, we've certainly used 2 bigs together in the past. While I know Drummond and Oriaki were a disaster, Emeka, Boone and Hamilton did a nice job together for a few years. Emeka and Selvie coexisted nicely in 2002. Travis Knight and Kirk King always seemed solid as a pair to me and Thabeet and Adrien were a menacing rebounding duo. While I see a stretch 4 creating nice advantages for driving lanes, I don't understand why playing 2 bigs together is a bad idea. We've been anhialated on the boards for the last 2 years. Why not go with a taller lineup (assuming Brimah and Nolan can up the rebounding numbers from last year)? I thought that we played small at the 4 for the last 2 years because of our perimeter talent. If Brimah and Nolan have improved, aren't there distinct advantages to going big?

Will someone with a higher basketball IQ enlighten me or at least discuss the interior dynamics of playing Brimah and Nolan together?

It doesn't take many IQ points. The reason they won't play together is FOULS. Brimah's biggest weakness is he's prone to committing fouls. Nolan is no slouch in that department either. Last year we had Tyler to contribute in case those 2 got in early foul trouble, this year we don't have a third center. Unless and until BOTH Brimah and Nolan can demonstrate they can play without fouling KO would be crazy to allow either of them to use their fouls up at the 4, where we have plenty of fouls to give - Facey, Rock and Hamilton if we go small. This has nothing to do with how they would actually play together, it's all about the fouls.

Reaction Score
I disagree with your assessment about Omar's low release point on his shot... I think he just needed to adjust after undergoing surgery on both hips in the previous off season... I think he'll be better for us with a full off season to work out and not just sit and heal... He's my darkhorse... Cassell, I think, will fit right in as well ... Our backcourt is lethal across the board...
He had a low release point as a freshman. His shot is ugly however when at his best it does go in.

Reaction Score
He had a low release point as a freshman. His shot is ugly however when at his best it does go in.

I have no idea why people say he "has a low release point". It is just not factually correct. See below.

032610glennsfallsdaytwo34dr--350x600.jpg

He has a shooting motion that is similar to Rashard Lewis in that he brings the ball from a low starting point, but his release itself is actually pretty ideal.

Look at the image below again. The RELEASE is very high, he just starts his motion down low. Now, this can be construed as a weakness in its own, if you'd like to make that point, because it slows the shot by a few moments. But can everyone on this board please STOP saying he has a low release?

upload_2014-9-26_14-57-6.png

Its just nonsense.

Reaction Score
He shoots the ball like a sixth grader. Starts low doesn't really jump. Doesn't get the ball above his head.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying hamilton should or shouldnt start... I'm going to trust that Ollie will do what is best for the team in this situation.

What do you guys think about how Hamilton and other future top rated freshman not starting can have on future recruiting though?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying hamilton should or shouldnt start... I'm going to trust that Ollie will do what is best for the team in this situation.

What do you guys think about how Hamilton and other future top rated freshman not starting can have on future recruiting though?

I think it would act as a litmus test for weeding out prospects that do not have the DNA of a National Champion (although it is normal to want to start). Right now I like Mack as the next best prospect to sign for 2015. The vibe I am getting from him is a strong 1. He seems to possess the intangibles a TEAM is looking for (speculative of course). Right now I would take Mack over Jones et al.

Hamilton in my opinion will most likely start. His time will have to be earned obviously over some good players.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Barring injuries or any off the court issues I expect the starting line up in the first game to be:

Boat
Purvis
Calhoun
Facey
Nolan

This starting line up is based on KO going with a combo of seniority and loyalty (OC and KF not giving up after last season and RP sitting out for a season).

I also expect the starting line up to be different throughout the season as various players demonstrate they deserve to start based on how they worked in practice, or how their play in a prior game merits consideration or if there is a match up KO wants to exploit early in the game.

And yes I am both ridiculous, ignorant and idiotic so anyone proposing to apply those adjective to my subjective opinions are wasting their effort if they believe it would have any impact on how I feel. But if it makes any individual feel better to believe they can hurt my feelings by invoking these descriptors I encourage them to do so and I will feign hurt and suffering.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^

Fluedy... how about Pat Lenehan as the 6th man using the intelligence quotient variable? :) Good idea??? I think Omar will rebound and have a productive year & Facey is the BIG X factor on this team.

Reaction Score

What you said isn't far off. However, I disagree with the poster who speculated that foul trouble would be the primary repellent to Nolan and Brimah playing minutes together. That's over-thinking it, IMO. If Nolan proves to be our best option at the four, he's going to play at the four, regardless of how valuable of an insurance policy he is at the five. Great coaches always have contingency plans in place in the event that foul trouble becomes an issue. But throwing your hands up in the air and keeping somebody on the bench because you're afraid both of your big men are going to foul out is not a solution (and it's not a scenario that is likely to occur, either). Plus, we don't know if Facey can play the five. We all thought he might play some five his freshman year, and he didn't, but that doesn't mean he won't this year.

To answer your question, basketball is an interesting sport in that every lineup configuration is dependent on versatility. Obviously, the five players who are on the floor might not be your best five players - our best five players last season were Boatright, Napier, Giffey, Daniels, and Kromah in some order, but they very rarely played together. Being able to modify your game to fit the personnel grouping is a skill that I think gets overlooked in basketball players more than it should be - Alex Oriakhi did not have this skill. Phil Nolan does have it, I think, on the defensive end of the court. I wasn't sold on Nolan as a basketball player until I watched him shutdown Adriean Payne in the elite eight last season. He's privy to rotations at multiple positions, he moves well laterally, and if it's true that he bulked up over the off-season, he should be more equipped to bang with centers and avoid foul trouble than he was last year. Truthfully, I think the guy is more of a four by nature who was forced to play exclusively the five his first two years here by some combination of roster constitution and offensive limitations.

Which brings us to the big question: is Nolan a skilled enough offensive player at this point in time to share the floor with Brimah without destroying our half-court offense? Everything we've seen from Nolan would indicate that he's not. His jump shot is unreliable, he's probably an average athlete by UConn standards (the national championship game last year being exhibit A), and although his foot work in the post is impressive, he doesn't have a soft touch down there.

If you're going to play the four successfully in the half-court, you have to either have one of the aforementioned skills, or you have to be a gifted interior passer. Louisville was able to construct a passable offense in the year they won the title in large part because of how Gorgui Dieng evolved as a passer from his sophomore to junior year. It gave them the luxury of playing two big's - Dieng and either Harrell or Behannan - at all times, which brought their defense to near unprecedented levels while maintaining an efficient offense. Now, I don't think Nolan is capable of a Dieng like jump, but if he's able to work out of the high post in some capacity, continue to improve as a screener, and hit enough 15 foot jump shots to keep defenses honest, UConn may have a shot at replicating something similar to what Louisville had that season (by similar I don't mean equal, but you get the point).

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Let's also not forget that Nolan had one of the best FT% of any big we've had in a LONG time last season. I'm not saying that'll make him start over AB, just further pointing out he's not the stiff he's sometimes made out to be.

Reaction Score
I believe brimah is a highly skilled passer ( or atleast has potential to be), that could help spacing in lineups with nolan. Brimah also has a considerably better touch inside 5 feet than nolan, so maybe nolan needs to be an above average post passer as well.

Reaction Score
At the very least I think what we can all agree on is there will be many different starting lineups this year and lineup combos.

Who knows what Ollie has in store and it would be ignorant of us to guarantee certain players starting because we simply don't know.

Starting lineup is also different than who is a better player and who gets more minutes...there seems to be a lot of back and forth on that topic in this thread.

My Favorite Starting Lineup however would be:

Samuel
Boat
Purvis
Facey
Brimah

Some nice nuggets there Brodie. IF Facey can defend at a high level this line up could be HAVOC on steroids. Lets face it the LIL high school stats of 4.5 blks and 13 rebs per did not translate last year. Facey is an athletic big that should be able to recover/improve from last years performance. Thanks for the interesting line-up Brodie. I know your on to something :)! Regardless of the starters this line up could be a juggernaut that makes the Harrison twins and any other back court wish they were 50 feet under ground.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Sam Cassell JR is and will be a better player than Omar this season. I think Omar was exposed last season. Shot has too low of a release point, can't dribble, and a below average defender.

This makes zero sense to me. He was exposed as a sophomore but not a freshman? And it's interesting that he happened to be "exposed" after the hip surgeries and an entire off-season of inactivity.

Reaction Score
Some nice nuggets there Brodie. IF Facey can defend at a high level this line up could be HAVOC on steroids. Lets face it the LIL high school stats of 4.5 blks and 13 rebs per did not translate last year. Facey is an athletic big that should be able to recover/improve from last years performance. Thanks for the interesting line-up Brodie. I know your on to something :)! Regardless of the starters this line up could be a juggernaut that makes the Harrison twins and any other back court wish they were 50 feet under ground.

This could be an Outstanding line-up (for periods of the game)! Since KO loves old school like Gap Band lets promote it! :) Poster allday2345 says Boat, TSam, Purvis, Facey and Brimah for extended minutes to meet the stops threshold! Hamilton & Nolan may have something to say Phil made his mark against MSU!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing gets The-Boneyard more divided than a little bit of Omar. Some see him as Kobe and others as a bench warmer....just saying, but remember we root for the same familia

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
What you said isn't far off. However, I disagree with the poster who speculated that foul trouble would be the primary repellent to Nolan and Brimah playing minutes together. That's over-thinking it, IMO. If Nolan proves to be our best option at the four, he's going to play at the four, regardless of how valuable of an insurance policy he is at the five. Great coaches always have contingency plans in place in the event that foul trouble becomes an issue. But throwing your hands up in the air and keeping somebody on the bench because you're afraid both of your big men are going to foul out is not a solution (and it's not a scenario that is likely to occur, either). Plus, we don't know if Facey can play the five. We all thought he might play some five his freshman year, and he didn't, but that doesn't mean he won't this year.

To answer your question, basketball is an interesting sport in that every lineup configuration is dependent on versatility. Obviously, the five players who are on the floor might not be your best five players - our best five players last season were Boatright, Napier, Giffey, Daniels, and Kromah in some order, but they very rarely played together. Being able to modify your game to fit the personnel grouping is a skill that I think gets overlooked in basketball players more than it should be - Alex Oriakhi did not have this skill. Phil Nolan does have it, I think, on the defensive end of the court. I wasn't sold on Nolan as a basketball player until I watched him shutdown Adriean Payne in the elite eight last season. He's privy to rotations at multiple positions, he moves well laterally, and if it's true that he bulked up over the off-season, he should be more equipped to bang with centers and avoid foul trouble than he was last year. Truthfully, I think the guy is more of a four by nature who was forced to play exclusively the five his first two years here by some combination of roster constitution and offensive limitations.

Which brings us to the big question: is Nolan a skilled enough offensive player at this point in time to share the floor with Brimah without destroying our half-court offense? Everything we've seen from Nolan would indicate that he's not. His jump shot is unreliable, he's probably an average athlete by UConn standards (the national championship game last year being exhibit A), and although his foot work in the post is impressive, he doesn't have a soft touch down there.

If you're going to play the four successfully in the half-court, you have to either have one of the aforementioned skills, or you have to be a gifted interior passer. Louisville was able to construct a passable offense in the year they won the title in large part because of how Gorgui Dieng evolved as a passer from his sophomore to junior year. It gave them the luxury of playing two big's - Dieng and either Harrell or Behannan - at all times, which brought their defense to near unprecedented levels while maintaining an efficient offense. Now, I don't think Nolan is capable of a Dieng like jump, but if he's able to work out of the high post in some capacity, continue to improve as a screener, and hit enough 15 foot jump shots to keep defenses honest, UConn may have a shot at replicating something similar to what Louisville had that season (by similar I don't mean equal, but you get the point).

Once again champs, you have proven to have the best analysis of any poster on this board. Now, riddle me this .... Is Facey a stretch 4?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
OK We all don't agree on what the starting line-up will be but we are all sure we are right and the other people are stupid idiots. Must be the Boneyard.

What surprises me is that, who starts doesn't matter all that much. I think who will get the most minutes matters more. So here is who I think gets most minutes:
1 Boat
2 Purvis
3 Hamilton
4 Facey
5 Brimah

But I don't guess Hamilton will start in the fall and Nolan may get some starts at the 4 or 5.I really don't care that much if I'm wrong. I only care that KO finds the right mix.

Reaction Score
Once again champs, you have proven to have the best analysis of any poster on this board. Now, riddle me this .... Is Facey a stretch 4?

I don't know if that's true, but I appreciate it. I just love talking ball with people who are as passionate as I am.

It's hard to label Facey as anything when he's only played 123 minutes of college basketball, most of which were garbage time minutes. I certainly did not view him as a stretch four coming out of high school. In fact, quite the opposite - my feel was that he would alternate between the four and the five (then again, that was when I thought he was 6'9, and there seem to be conflicting reports on his actual height). From what little I saw of him in high school, he was a plus athlete with excellent rebounding instincts, and, as NBA scouts would say, a non-stop motor. He was raw, though; not a project, but not somebody anybody expected to have plays run for him.

These type of players are extremely difficult to quantify, because although they provide discernible value, defenses don't really have to guard them with the same diligence they would a DeAndre Daniels type. This allows defenses to allot attention to our primary play makers - Boatright, Purvis, maybe Samuel or Hamilton - that they wouldn't otherwise be able to, and that obviously has a ripple effect on the overall efficiency of the offense. It's the same problem we have with Nolan - when your role as an offensive player is basically diminished to second chance points and screening, and you're not particularly gifted as a passer or a finisher, playing two big men can be an unappealing proposition.

Then again, when you're explosive enough at other positions to the extent that the big men aren't going to be overly involved in the offense anyway, sometimes having an unbridled worker at the four can yield valuable additional possessions that you couldn't get from somebody like Daniels. Point being, there are multiple ways to construct a good basketball team - if that means becoming a dribble-drive based offense that compensates for lack of perimeter shooting with second chance points and stifling defense, I'm fine with that.

I know I'm rambling a bit, and not necessarily directly answering your question, but I'm not the guy to ask for one word answers, lol. If you want a simple answer, I'd go with this: I define a stretch four as somebody who is a consistent threat from three point range. Others may define it differently, but I don't consider somebody like Kevin Garnett a stretch four, despite his efficiency as a mid-range jump shooter. Facey is supposedly drilling threes in scrimmages, and if we can somehow leverage just enough of that additional spacing into an elite rebounding and defensive team, this team could be really good. But there are a lot of unknowns this year, much more than there were last season. I'm pretty sure if the team plays with the same passion and togetherness they did Ollie's first two years here, everything will work itself out and this will be a team nobody wants to play in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom