2014-2015 Starting Lineup | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2014-2015 Starting Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One other thing i'm excited about for the season, also something ollie has hinted at on various occasions, is playing legit small ball. starting hamilton at the 4, perhaps inverting the offense and using purvis as a power guard. Nba people will love if purvis shows a polished post game vs smaller guards ( his strength is a huge attribute of his). then maybe on defense playing a sort of match up 1-3-1 zone or hard doubles vs bigger 4s so hamilton doesn't get exposed. Hamilton + Cassell on the perimeter gunning threees will make opposing coaches head explode.

Reaction Score
I don't think KO would start a freshman off the bat so I'll go with Boatright, Brimah, Nolan, Purvis and Calhoun. TSam first off the bench.
I was gonna say this, and KO gave Omar the benefit of the doubt for a good amount of time last year, but if DHam comes in and just blows everyone away in practice and exhibition games, and especially if Omar hasn't demonstrated marked improvement.....

Reaction Score
I was gonna say this, and KO gave Omar the benefit of the doubt for a good amount of time last year, but if DHam comes in and just blows everyone away in practice and exhibition games, and especially if Omar hasn't demonstrated marked improvement.....

There's really no basis for saying KO won't start a frosh. He did it with Omar.

Reaction Score
Here's a lineup I don't think has been thrown out there:

Boatright
Samuel
Purvis
Nolan
Brimah

I'd like to see this 5 get some run together, maybe not at the start of the game but down the stretch. Definitely our best defensive lineup and the speed with Samuel and Purvis running the wings on the break would be fun to watch. This would probably only work for extended minutes if Purvis proves he can hit the outside jumper. Anyway I really liked what I saw from Samuel last year and Nolan and Brimah down low, should they stay out of foul trouble, would really clog up the lane. Can't wait for the season to start.

How are my brodies doing? LOL haha :) I just ducked that water balloon by Mau and Fluedy! BOOM! lol

27.9% of the minutes last year came from the Hungry Huskies bench. That actually ranked us @ #230 in the nation with the national average coming in at 30.3 %. I think you will see that stat in particular change this year. Looking at that stat objectively arguments can be made on both sides as to the various pros and cons.

EDIT: 27.9%

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mainly agreed, but just curious, did Omar start in the first game of the season?
First exhibition of the 12-13 season Giffey started at the 3, Omar played great and then KO made the switch the next exhibition and he started the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
Go read a scouting report on Omar see if it doesn't mention his unorthodox push shot. Obviously the ball at some point ends up above his head. But he brings in front of his face the. Pushes it out.

I'm done arguing Omar will not start. Nor should he. Like I said before cassell is going to be a better player mark it down.

Reaction Score
Go read a scouting report on Omar see if it doesn't mention his unorthodox push shot. Obviously the ball at some point ends up above his head. But he brings in front of his face the. Pushes it out.

I'm done arguing Omar will not start. Nor should he. Like I said before cassell is going to be a better player mark it down.

I did an elementary search using the terms "Omar Calhoun Scouting Report" on google. The generic Draft Xpress report showed up. errrr lol

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omar-Calhoun-6439/

"Calhoun displays unorthodox shooting mechanics, boasting a wide-base, splayed elbows, and a very quick, truncated release. This certainly seemed to work for him, at times, and for a stretch in January and February – before his wrist injury – he actually found a nice rhythm. That being said, and with an eye towards the future, improving his mechanics would go a long way in helping him develop into a more consistent shooter."

I think Mr. Omar Calhoun has spent many days this summer working hard on his game and conditioning. It is my sincere speculative belief that Omar will be a productive contributor to this 2014-15 version of the Hungry Huskies. He is a very good character kid (with a ring that everyone earned). KO gave him plenty of opportunity to succeed last year BUT FINALLY pulled the plug on him to enable others to shine so we could win it all. It will be an all out Ali vs Frazier Thrilla in Manilla for PT on this loaded roster! Let the best man win!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just finished vetting 80% of the rosters in college hoops without referencing the mainstream media garbage. Trying to decide who to drop some coinage on for the Nat Champ. haha ;)

Reaction Score
This makes zero sense to me. He was exposed as a sophomore but not a freshman? And it's interesting that he happened to be "exposed" after the hip surgeries and an entire off-season of inactivity.
Sam is like 3o. Prob should be playing for Pitt next year ( they always seems to have 2 + 30 year olds playing for them).
But seriously we have 2 players coming in that would be juniors all things considered age wise- who knows what to expect -but the maturity is there to compete with anyone for PT.

Reaction Score

Haha I'm not even arguing Omar should start, that's the funny thing. You can read through my posts I've said he's the biggest enigma and has no role at the moment because he has no consistency, and I have him grouped with Lubin/Cassell at the moment out of the sure 7 man rotation.

But I can't let very basic inaccuracies go unchallenged, it annoys the "fact" and "truth" parts of my brain. I see you've changed your criticism from "low release point" and "doesn't jump" to account for the fact that those are total crap, and are now moving to its "unorthodox" nature, and its "push"-iness. Much better.

Reaction Score
People think Calhoun should start ? Give him 5-7 mpg and see how he fares . This isn't about loyalty either , hamilton didn't come to storrs to back up omar Calhoun .
Calhoun had some basic problems with his fundamentals which seemed to greatly affect his scoring last season. If hie injury contributed, possibly we'll see a Calhoun who contributed so much the prior year. However his fundamental flaws such as poor handle and poor shooting technique have plagued him since high school, and Coach Ollie will certainly see whether or not he has overcome these deficiencies early in the pre-season.

I believe OC will be watched closely by the coaching staff so they may decide his future with this team.

Reaction Score
This is among the very greatest things I've ever seen.
'very greatest'

Well Bruce, perhaps so (for you), but we can agree it would be the 5th greatest, no?

900x506

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How are my brodies doing? LOL haha :) I just ducked that water balloon by Mau and Fluedy! BOOM! lol

27.9% of the minutes last year came from the Hungry Huskies bench. That actually ranked us @ #230 in the nation with the national average coming in at 30.3 %. I think you will see that stat in particular change this year. Looking at that stat objectively arguments can be made on both sides as to the various pros and cons.

EDIT: 27.9%
I'm just being a little less aggressive with you this year.;)

Interesting stat. Could be skewed a bit because Bazz rarely was subbed. I wonder how many programs had one or more players play most of the game. The other four positions had much more substitution and may have actually exceeded the average.

My hope is that RB won't be needed to handle the load as much as Bazz was needed the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
I'm just being a little less aggressive with you this year.;)

Interesting stat. Could be skewed a bit because Bazz rarely was subbed. I wonder how many programs had one or more players play most of the game. The other four positions had much more substitution and may have actually exceeded the average.

My hope is that RB won't be needed to handle the load as much as Bazz was needed the last two seasons.

Last year's team also didn't have the same kind of depth in the backcourt that this team's will.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last year's team also didn't have the same kind of depth in the backcourt that this team's will.
I was implying this. You clarified it. But things aren't etched in stone.

Of the three ball handlers last season the primary one is gone. Ryan significantly improved by the end of the season. All he has to do is play at the level he showed during the NCAA's. That isn't guaranteed but, short of an injury, he is the player for which predictions are most likely to be correct. T Sam was a huge surprise from what I was expecting. Will he continue to improve and can he be counted on to handle a bigger role? What can Cassell bring to the table? Purvis really excites me, but will he play under control? Can he distribute the ball when necessary? Does he have a midrange or deep threat in his game?

Last season there were three players to cover the wing position - OC, LK and NG. This year it will be OC and DHam. Hopefully these two have it covered and KO won't need to move one of the guards to the three except when he chooses to exploit opposing teams weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I was implying this. You clarified it. But things aren't etched in stone.

Of the three ball handlers last season the primary one is gone. Ryan significantly improved by the end of the season. All he has to do is play at the level he showed during the NCAA's. That isn't guaranteed but, short of an injury, he is the player for which predictions are most likely to be correct. T Sam was a huge surprise from what I was expecting. Will he continue to improve and can he be counted on to handle a bigger role? What can Cassell bring to the table? Purvis really excites me, but will he play under control? Can he distribute the ball when necessary? Does he have a midrange or deep threat in his game?

Last season there were three players to cover the wing position - OC, LK and NG. This year it will be OC and DHam. Hopefully these two have it covered and KO won't need to move one of the guards to the three except when he chooses to exploit opposing teams weaknesses.
:) haha..."The Ferrari..." Bazz is to much!

http://instagram.com/p/q-IonZlAAK/?modal=true

Reaction Score
Haha I'm not even arguing Omar should start, that's the funny thing. You can read through my posts I've said he's the biggest enigma and has no role at the moment because he has no consistency, and I have him grouped with Lubin/Cassell at the moment out of the sure 7 man rotation.

But I can't let very basic inaccuracies go unchallenged, it annoys the "fact" and "truth" parts of my brain. I see you've changed your criticism from "low release point" and "doesn't jump" to account for the fact that those are total crap, and are now moving to its "unorthodox" nature, and its "push"-iness. Much better.

Ok well let me rephrase for a 6'4 2 guard he absolutely has a low release. And Omar shoots what I would call a set shot.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Ok well let me rephrase for a 6'4 2 guard he absolutely has a low release. And Omar shoots what I would call a set shot.

It's time to stop.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Ya i know I tried

Truth is, we don't know until we get to February; and even then, we can lose a game by 40 something points - like we're playing in an exhibition game, only we're the Division II team and then somehow pull it together and win a NC. That's the beauty of sports. That's the beauty of watching these kids evolve and grow up as players year after year - first under JC and now KO. Last year's team stepped up and we won't know which players are going to step up this year or how big a step they'll take until they do it and do it consistently.

Reaction Score
What you said isn't far off. However, I disagree with the poster who speculated that foul trouble would be the primary repellent to Nolan and Brimah playing minutes together. That's over-thinking it, IMO. If Nolan proves to be our best option at the four, he's going to play at the four, regardless of how valuable of an insurance policy he is at the five. Great coaches always have contingency plans in place in the event that foul trouble becomes an issue. But throwing your hands up in the air and keeping somebody on the bench because you're afraid both of your big men are going to foul out is not a solution (and it's not a scenario that is likely to occur, either). Plus, we don't know if Facey can play the five. We all thought he might play some five his freshman year, and he didn't, but that doesn't mean he won't this year.

To answer your question, basketball is an interesting sport in that every lineup configuration is dependent on versatility. Obviously, the five players who are on the floor might not be your best five players - our best five players last season were Boatright, Napier, Giffey, Daniels, and Kromah in some order, but they very rarely played together. Being able to modify your game to fit the personnel grouping is a skill that I think gets overlooked in basketball players more than it should be - Alex Oriakhi did not have this skill. Phil Nolan does have it, I think, on the defensive end of the court. I wasn't sold on Nolan as a basketball player until I watched him shutdown Adriean Payne in the elite eight last season. He's privy to rotations at multiple positions, he moves well laterally, and if it's true that he bulked up over the off-season, he should be more equipped to bang with centers and avoid foul trouble than he was last year. Truthfully, I think the guy is more of a four by nature who was forced to play exclusively the five his first two years here by some combination of roster constitution and offensive limitations.

Which brings us to the big question: is Nolan a skilled enough offensive player at this point in time to share the floor with Brimah without destroying our half-court offense? Everything we've seen from Nolan would indicate that he's not. His jump shot is unreliable, he's probably an average athlete by UConn standards (the national championship game last year being exhibit A), and although his foot work in the post is impressive, he doesn't have a soft touch down there.

If you're going to play the four successfully in the half-court, you have to either have one of the aforementioned skills, or you have to be a gifted interior passer. Louisville was able to construct a passable offense in the year they won the title in large part because of how Gorgui Dieng evolved as a passer from his sophomore to junior year. It gave them the luxury of playing two big's - Dieng and either Harrell or Behannan - at all times, which brought their defense to near unprecedented levels while maintaining an efficient offense. Now, I don't think Nolan is capable of a Dieng like jump, but if he's able to work out of the high post in some capacity, continue to improve as a screener, and hit enough 15 foot jump shots to keep defenses honest, UConn may have a shot at replicating something similar to what Louisville had that season (by similar I don't mean equal, but you get the point).

If Nolan was clearly the best option at the 4, I agree that KO would figure out a rotation that would play him there. However with Nolan as an option purely because you don't trust the untested in Facey and the unknown in Rock, then fouls are a consideration. Last Season both AB and Nolan averaged 7 fouls per 40 minutes - to say that having them both foul out is "a situation that is not likely to occur" is contrary to both logic and experience. Remember it is almost as bad to have these guys playing passively with 4 fouls as it is to having them foul out. We needed Tyler for his fouls last year, I expect in an emergency we will play Rock at the 5 this year. To risk Nolan getting in foul trouble for a slight advantage at the 4 would be crazy - and I also agree that I doubt he would be any advantage at the 4, based purely on his offensive skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom