1st team AA | Page 7 | The Boneyard

1st team AA

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones is the best guard in America. I think she deserves to be first team. Will be interesting to see if the voters put Mitchell in over her... or put them both on the first team along with Plum.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Alexis Jones is the best guard in America. I think she deserves to be first team. Will be interesting to see if the voters put Mitchell in over her... or put them both on the first team along with Plum.
I agree with you. One guard name that I and many other have forgotten is Sydney Wiese having a good season & saved OSU bacon today against Oregon. My 4 guards would be Plum, Mitchell, Jones, Weise. Lexie and Jordan Canada would be 3rd team IMO.

Reaction Score
First Team AA

Napheesa Collier
Katie Lou Samuelson
Gabby Williams
Plum
Coates

It's not just about individual stats. Connecticut has defeated everyone they've played, and not just this year, but each of them did it a year ago as well. So how do you pass over the core of a team whose players score, rebound, assist, and steal with seamless perfection for anyone else?

How would that make sense?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First Team AA

Napheesa Collier
Katie Lou Samuelson
Gabby Williams
Plum
Coates

It's not just about individual stats. Connecticut has defeated everyone they've played, and not just this year, but each of them did it a year ago as well. So how do you pass over the core of a team whose players score, rebound, assist, and steal with seamless perfection for anyone else?
Something else makes perfect sense. Sorry but AA honors are very much about individual stats and has very little to do with who UCONN has defeated.

Reaction Score
Still LoL
So there I was minding my business and ESPN has a poster of Diamond and Alaina Coates advertising the game tomorrow between SC and TN. When I look closer Alaina is actually sporting rings! So you know me always curious: Are those Regular Season Rings or or those for SEC tournament? I know what they AIN'T can someone please help me with what they are.

Still LoL! View attachment 19214

They're both regular season, tournament, and high school rings... I don't see what's funny if she's proud of big accomplishment throughout her career but whatever floats your boat.... and she can always have the last laugh because the 2017 nat'l championship game hasn't been played yet.

Reaction Score
Something else makes perfect sense. Sorry but AA honors are very much about individual stats and has very little to do with who UCONN has defeated.

But if UConn directly defeats, and soundly, the teams against whose players they are being compared for AA, then it matters.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They're both regular season, tournament, and high school rings... I don't see what's funny if she's proud of big accomplishment throughout her career but whatever floats your boat.... and she can always have the last laugh because the 2017 nat'l championship game hasn't been played yet.
Sill LoL harder. HS ring ? Wait.... if she proud of her accomplishments shouldn't she have a FF ring mixed in there too? Do they have such a thing as a FF ring?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But if UConn directly defeats, and soundly, the teams against whose players they are being compared for AA, then it matters.
No it doesn't. Think about what you are saying. When Stanford beat UCONN way way back when should those Stanford players have been named AA? Because they weren't.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree with you. One guard name that I and many other have forgotten is Sydney Wiese having a good season & saved OSU bacon today against Oregon. My 4 guards would be Plum, Mitchell, Jones, Weise. Lexie and Jordan Canada would be 3rd team IMO.

If it turns out that way.... I bet it would be the first time ever that the top 4 guards were ALL left-handed

I disagree I think she deserves to be on the 1st team.

You definitely can make a strong case for her

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We could debate this until the cows come home. I could not begin to suggest an objective 10 member AA list. I'm an unabashed UConn homer. My record is very clear on that. Collier, Williams and Samuelson are at the top of my 10 member list. It would not be hard to fill in 7 other names.

Among the names that would receive very serious consideration: A'ja Wilson, Kelsey Plum, Lexie Brown, Brionna Jones, Alexis Jones, Alexis Peterson, Shakayla Thomas (FSU), Feyonda Fitzgerald, Asia Durr, Myisha Hines-Allen, Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Chantel Osahor and C. Knox, Texas A&M (9.2 apg)

Reaction Score
Hi - I wanted to add a short version asking why Wilson over Pheese this year. Pheese vs Wilson.

More points (19.2 vs 16.9), way better FG% (66.5% vs 56.9%), more rebs (8.1 vs 7.6), blocks are closer than you would think (32 vs 36), less turnovers (28 vs 40), way more steals (30 vs 18), more assists (36 vs 30), better free throw % (78.3% vs 68.9%) and Pheese can hit from 3 (42% vs 1 shot taken and missed.)

So why would anyone say A'ja is better than Pheese? Because she is taller? (BTW at this point in time UCONN still has the best strength of schedule. We packed in the best opponents upfront, no one as tough as Duke though : - )
Politics, pure politics. UCONN won't get two over the likes of Wilson and others. Possible swap Pheese for KLS though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with people that say it's politics. If you look at the numbers, Wilson barelydeserves to be a 3rd team AA. And even that is highly debatable. For all the hoo-ha about how great she did vs. the #4 team in the nation, she pretty much cost her team the game vs. what should have been an over-matched Tennessee team. Her egregious T basically put her on the bench and cost her team the game.

Bottom line, it should not be about hype from high school. It should not be about hype from how good someone is supposed to be. It should not be about politics, and not even about who the "best players should be" because Wilson, for example, isn't even in the top 50 in scoring for WCBB, so for all her "gifts", she's not getting it done. If not for her name recognition, how on earth would anyone think she's deserving of 1st, or even 2nd, team AA honors?

And for the record, I love me some Gabby Williams, but I can't put her on the 1st or 2nd team averaging 12.6 PPG, 8.7 RPG and 5.3 APG. If she can get her scoring average up at about 15, replace Lexi Brown with her. Did you know she has the most assists on the team by a wide margin (107)? Kia Nurse is 2nd with 85...

1st team AA:
Plum (NPOY)
Samuelson
Anigwe
Mitchell (Kelsey)
Peterson (Syracuse)

2nd team AA:
Collier
Osahor
Jankoska (Michigan State)
Brown (Lexi)
Jones (Brionna - Maryland)

3rd team AA:
Jones (Alexis)
Coates
Wilson
Allen (ND)
Williams (Gabby)

Reaction Score
First Team AA

Napheesa Collier
Katie Lou Samuelson
Gabby Williams
Plum
Coates

I keep hearing about Coates being a no show in every big game and yet you've got her on your first team AA team? I've heard nothing but great stuff about that Maryland center whose name escapes me at the moment. Nothing but raves and she shows up in the bigger games. Did a great job against us earlier in the season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree with people that say it's politics. If you look at the numbers, Wilson barelydeserves to be a 3rd team AA. And even that is highly debatable. For all the hoo-ha about how great she did vs. the #4 team in the nation, she pretty much cost her team the game vs. what should have been an over-matched Tennessee team. Her egregious T basically put her on the bench and cost her team the game.

Bottom line, it should not be about hype from high school. It should not be about hype from how good someone is supposed to be. It should not be about politics, and not even about who the "best players should be" because Wilson, for example, isn't even in the top 50 in scoring for WCBB, so for all her "gifts", she's not getting it done. If not for her name recognition, how on earth would anyone think she's deserving of 1st, or even 2nd, team AA honors?

And for the record, I love me some Gabby Williams, but I can't put her on the 1st or 2nd team averaging 12.6 PPG, 8.7 RPG and 5.3 APG. If she can get her scoring average up at about 15, replace Lexi Brown with her. Did you know she has the most assists on the team by a wide margin (107)? Kia Nurse is 2nd with 85...

1st team AA:
Plum (NPOY)
Samuelson
Anigwe
Mitchell (Kelsey)
Peterson (Syracuse)

2nd team AA:
Collier
Osahor
Brown (Lexi)

3rd team AA:
Jones (Alexis)
Coates
Wilson
Allen (ND)
Williams (Gabby)

Actually she goes by Lexie. You're not the only one on here who makes this mistake.... I think you guys have a recruit who goes by Lexi.

Your list looks good for the most part.

Reaction Score
- KLS is so much more than a scorer because GW and NC grab all the rebounds? That doesn't speak to me.

- You say we can't compare KLS (a forward) to a PG (Allen) because it's not apples to apples, then you compare Collier (a forward) to Mitchell (a PG) because that's apples-to-apples? LOL. Classic case of getting lost in an argument.

- I don't doubt Collier is an AA.
Well, KLS is much more than a scorer and stats don't tell you the whole story. For people who have seen KLS play, they know that she's a first team AA and the team leader. I think Napheesa has some people here that feel she may be a bit better but there's more people here who feel that KLS is the more likely AA choice. I think a lot of Colliers numbers are better as a result of having KLS drawing more attention on the offensive side of the court and that's also true of Gabby. Those three are all special players but KLS is most likely to be an All-American and if so, it won't be strictly for her scoring numbers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

1st team AA:
Plum (NPOY)
Samuelson
Anigwe
Mitchell (Kelsey)
Peterson (Syracuse)

2nd team AA:
Collier
Osahor
Brown (Lexi)

3rd team AA:
Jones (Alexis)
Coates
Wilson
Allen (ND)
Williams (Gabby)

Alexis Jones as third team is laughable, especially with putting Kelsey Mitchell ahead of her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All very interesting and amusing discussion her. Just some points -
1, Stats are great, but depend significantly on the rest of the team surrounding a player and the offensive system being employed. Example: it is pretty shocking for one player at UConn to average 19 ppg, for two to be doing it this year is really shocking. For two players to dominate at UW is completely expected.

2. Teams like UConn and specifically Baylor this year tend to lower individual stats in favor of team balance - makes for a stronger team that is much harder to defend. I haven't seen Davis play lately, but early on she was disappearing too frequently - it appears she and the team have figured out how to make it work.

3. As this discussion indicates, this years seems much more wide open in terms of AA stature. Hard to ignore players on the #1 team in the country, but none of them came into the season as favorites for AA status or generally even on the lists. Kia was the one player with enough rep, but she isn't even in this discussion now. And I think that is indicative of the issue coming at the end of the year ... lots of new players in the discussion and some of the returning AAs not having stellar years or on teams that are not doing as well as expected.

4. We tend to think once AA status is achieved it is pretty well guaranteed to continue and there is some of that, but most years there are a few players who get dropped from previous years. I think there are a few that may happen to this year - Davis to me would be one such player. Not that she is playing badly, just that her importance to Baylor's success has been significantly reduced and a few of her teammates are probably more deserving.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I just looked at Alexis Peterson's stats.... 24 pts, 7 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game :eek: Thats pretty impressive. I might have her on the team over Mitchell of Ohio State. Her backcourt mate Sykes is averaging 19pts 8 rebounds 3.5 assists and shooting 41% from 3. Alot of talented guards are gonna be left off the A-A teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just looked at Alexis Peterson's stats.... 24 pts, 7 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game :eek: Thats pretty impressive. I might have her on the team over Mitchell of Ohio State. Her backcourt mate Sykes is averaging 19pts 8 rebounds 3.5 assists and shooting 41% from 3. Alot of talented guards are gonna be left off the A-A teams.
@triaddukefan that assist number for Peterson is way low.
I have Peterson at 7.2 assist per game-10th in the nation and 24.2 Points/game-3rd in the nation. That is good enough to push Mitchell IMO off the first team AA line. Peterson is scoring more points than Mitchell and Mitchell doesn't even crack the top 50 in assists. Peterson is also 19th in steals. Got to believe she runs away with the Liberman award this year also.
2017 Women's College Basketball Individual Statistics - ESPN

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn't it enough that UCONN has won every NC since God was a boy? Throw some scraps to the rest of us.
Weren't there enough scraps thrown this summer on the USA Women's Olympic team roster?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom