Men - #18 UConn @ Seton Hall Pirates (Thurs. 4/14/22 @11a & Saturday 4/16/22 @ Noon & 3p) Saturday Doubleheader on FloSports/UConn audio > Mixlr all 3 gms | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men #18 UConn @ Seton Hall Pirates (Thurs. 4/14/22 @11a & Saturday 4/16/22 @ Noon & 3p) Saturday Doubleheader on FloSports/UConn audio > Mixlr all 3 gms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we play teams with lousy RPIs, blowing a 7-1 lead to win 7-6 will not enhance our reputation with the pollsters. Bad optics.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
When we play teams with lousy RPIs, blowing a 7-1 lead to win 7-6 will not enhance our reputation with the pollsters. Bad optics.

Florida barely beat this team, then lost to them. Don't think the pollsters care about occasional close road wins so long we balance it out with the beatings we've been giving other teams lately.

Interested in seeing Afthim or Coe potentially close a game out on Saturday, but I won't argue with the results we've gotten from that position even if it has been agita inducing.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Is there a formula for the RPI in baseball that includes margin of victory? In basketball, they used to have that but did away with it. If it isn't a major component of the formula, a win is a win is a win.

Reaction Score
Is there a formula for the RPI in baseball that includes margin of victory? In basketball, they used to have that but did away with it. If it isn't a major component of the formula, a win is a win is a win.

For the record, margin of victory was never a component of the RPI statistic, not even in basketball. It was a component of the selection process by the committee, though.

Baseball RPI has the home/road weighting component in it, but its calculated without margin of victory.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
For the record, margin of victory was never a component of the RPI statistic, not even in basketball. It was a component of the selection process by the committee, though.

Baseball RPI has the home/road weighting component in it, but its calculated without margin of victory.
You all have answered the question to type of wins. A committee won't care if we beat Seton Hall by 1 run or 9 runs. Just win as many as you can during the regular season. Win the tournament and then go get the regionals.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just got out of meeting and followed the thread. Too many people throwing dirt on the league, Hall and our own players. It is college baseball. It won't be clean games and the best team doesn't always win. And Willis has been fine. We have been spoiled for 12 years with closers. Willis isn't as lights out as everyone else, but he hasn't hurt us either.
If you are going to claim that the NBE is better than the AAC in baseball - you are going to lose that argument. As DBMill pointed out that SHall is a lower rated NBE team and I accept that position. UConn benefitted by playing against nearly every AAC team which made them a stronger team entering post season play.
UConn's record could be very strong and that in itself will speak volumes for post season qualification but I do wish the NBE would be a better baseball conference - the OBE with ND, SFla, ULouisville would have been better.

Reaction Score
You all have answered the question to type of wins. A committee won't care if we beat Seton Hall by 1 run or 9 runs. Just win as many as you can during the regular season. Win the tournament and then go get the regionals.

Huh? How did you jump from the RPI doesn't use margin of victory to determining that the Committee doesn't care about it at all either? It's not like the Committee only looks at RPI. (By the way -- I'm not suggesting the Committee does or should care about margin of victory. I think it can be argued either way. But there is no basis for assuming that just because an RPI formula doesn't the committee doesn't either.)

Reaction Score
If you are going to claim that the NBE is better than the AAC in baseball - you are going to lose that argument. As DBMill pointed out that SHall is a lower rated NBE team and I accept that position. UConn benefitted by playing against nearly every AAC team which made them a stronger team entering post season play.
UConn's record could be very strong and that in itself will speak volumes for post season qualification but I do wish the NBE would be a better baseball conference - the OBE with ND, SFla, ULouisville would have been better.
Yup and I would argue its not even a comparison as OBE was heads and shoulders above NBE. Forgetting the 90's and early 00's, just the late 00's and early 10's which Ill dub the Clearwater FL era for their tournament, they had some very very good teams out of St John's, Notre Dame, Louisville, UConn and more. The OBE was just starting to receive at large respect from the committee after some of those teams made deep runs to Super Regionals and Omaha. This NBE is actually a really big disappointment for baseball.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
I am not arguing that at all. The New Big East is not comparable to the old Big East nor the AAC. I am referring to people minimizing a win because it was in the league and by 1 run.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Huh? How did you jump from the RPI doesn't use margin of victory to determining that the Committee doesn't care about it at all either? It's not like the Committee only looks at RPI. (By the way -- I'm not suggesting the Committee does or should care about margin of victory. I think it can be argued either way. But there is no basis for assuming that just because an RPI formula doesn't the committee doesn't either.)
Over a 56 game season, do you think they are analyzing margin of wins? Why would they care if it is a 1 run or 6 run win? That is getting into the weeds. What would be next, oh they gave up 3 runs in the ninth cutting the winning margin down to X? If it isn't part of their formula, then the eye test is what they should be looking at?

Reaction Score

One of the reasons I pointed out Seton Hall and St. John's are two of the weakest Big East teams in terms of RPI is that things pick up a bit in terms of the strength of UConn's schedule after this weekend. UConn has 3 games against Butler and 1 game against Bryant, both those teams are currently over 150 in the RPI. All the other teams UConn has on its upcoming schedule are currently under 150 in the RPI, which is certainly an uptick in the RPI strength of teams that we have been seeing UConn face of late. Seven of these games are against teams that are currently in the top 100 for RPI. So it is very possible the games could get a bit tougher for UConn.

One other odd thing in the RPI this season. The Big East is currently No. 11, and the AAC is currently No. 10 in the RPI for baseball. These things do fluctuate from season to season, but I doubt anyone was expecting these two leagues to be all that close to each other in the RPI in any one year.

Reaction Score
Over a 56 game season, do you think they are analyzing margin of wins? Why would they care if it is a 1 run or 6 run win? That is getting into the weeds. What would be next, oh they gave up 3 runs in the ninth cutting the winning margin down to X? If it isn't part of their formula, then the eye test is what they should be looking at?

You think that average margin of victory over the course of the season takes more than two seconds to look at? If you were on the Committee, and you were trying to figure out how good a team that had an impressive winning percentage against a weak schedule really way, you wouldn't be interested in whether they were squeaking out wins or running roughshod over everyone?

Reaction Score
You think that average margin of victory over the course of the season takes more than two seconds to look at? If you were on the Committee, and you were trying to figure out how good a team that had an impressive winning percentage against a weak schedule really way, you wouldn't be interested in whether they were squeaking out wins or running roughshod over everyone?
Average margin of victory, sure. But no I don't think they're going to spend even 1 second looking at a specific game against Seton Hall and say we didn't win by enough runs. Because this was an outlier that was a close game, not the norm

Reaction Score
Average margin of victory, sure. But no I don't think they're going to spend even 1 second looking at a specific game against Seton Hall and say we didn't win by enough runs. Because this was an outlier that was a close game, not the norm
That I fully agree with. Wasn't trying to say anything different. But given our inadequate SOS, I wouldn't assume that winning big consistently isn't to our advantage.

Reaction Score
Do you think any voter is watching the game? Or knows the score? They don't.

Reaction Score
Fedko seems to be getting the go over Brown for DH. Wouldn't mind seeing Brown at 3b and Bushling at DH. I think Brown is a better third baseman than Bush. Bush still makes me nervous every time he throws the ball to first.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, first 2 UConn batters reach base, but are stranded. No score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom