17U trials in Colorado | Page 2 | The Boneyard

17U trials in Colorado

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Since they started opening the trials to non-invitees it seems each year they have found at least one non-invitee, which is not that surprising considering just how many kids are playing HS ball and how few people are looking at them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston going to work. As mentioned in the recruiting thread, UConn is on Boston's short list and she will visit this fall.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A name to remember is Indya Nivar, a 5-8 guard out of North Carolina from the 2022 class. She's getting rave reviews in several places.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man would I like to be a fly on the wall at these trials.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Haley Jones piece from Adamec:

The daughter of basketball coaches, Jones began playing hoops in third grade and joined a club squad made up of mostly high school players while she was in seventh grade. She became a starter.

Her club teammates gave her a nickname -- "Baby UConn."

"I didn't understand what that was about when I was little," Jones said with a laugh. "When I took my unofficial visit they were like, 'Oh my God, it's happening!" I don't know guys. I haven't made a decision about what I'm going to do."

Haley Jones determined to earn USA U-17 roster spot

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm so confused! I guess everyone stood out.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Someone thinks Haley was the most impressive today.

That would be Shane Laflin of Premiere Basketball Report. His list of impressive players from the 1st session includes Bueckers, Fudd, Boston, and one Sam Brunelle.

Another evaluator, LaQuinta Thompson, has Boston, Fudd, Brunelle, and Haley Jones on her lists of most impressive from Friday.

Here are some notes from Blue Star's Mark Lewis on Day 1:

Certainly 2021 post Amari DeBerry needs no introduction to those in the know on the basketball landscape. The 6-5 resident of Williamsville, New York has the size and build that has the other teams glancing to the other end of the floor during warm ups. Don’t think that size keeps her from being mobile and agile. She’s active in making herself an option down low and has a lengthy first step to offer herself as an option on block to block or elbow to block cuts. The target she provides her perimeter teammates is hard to miss and also demonstrates her understanding of positioning and where she might want the ball. DeBerry can get out and run the floor in turn forcing opposing posts to wear themselves down over the course of a game. Her perimeter stroke is smooth and fluid with a high release point. The sophomore to be even offered up a jump hook on one occasion. Her agility translates well to the defensive end as does her reach. Additional strength will be a major asset moving forward.

We’ve seen Olivia Miles multiple time over the past couple of years and she never fails to offer up those advancements you look for in the game of a top tier player. The 5-9 combo guard has the tools to develop and improve both shots and passes. She’s smooth and fluid on the catch and sets up opponents with an very deceptive change of speed. The 2021 graduate navigates traffic well and protects the ball both on the break or off the drive. Miles, from Phillipsburg, New Jersey, can keep her dribble and make multiple moves to get defenders overcommitting or lunging providing a clear lane to the rim. She’s improved her attack in terms of efficiency and finds most of her options north – south these days with a new selective use of her ballskills. There’s good elevation on her jumper and that same fluidity translates to her stroke both spotting up or off the pull up. The speed and quickness from the offensive side goes hand in hand with some sharp anticipation on the defensive end of the floor.

USA Basketball U17 Trails - Day Two - Bluestar Media

Finally, recruit evaluator Steve Reynolds weighs in:

2020 Paige Buecker 5’11” PG Hopkins HS MN

Paige has great poise and presence on the court. Seems always to know whats going on and what to do. She moved well without the ball and was extremely comfortable with the ball especially in the open court. She finished strong in transition including an And1. She was great on defense too, stripping the ball a few times on seemingly easy layups for the opposing players. Buecker also has a grittiness to her game I like.

2021 Azzi Fudd 5’11” PG St Johns HS VA

I’m not going to have enough superlatives for Azzi so that I will spare you the attempt. Let's say add three times the intensity to whatever follows. Azzi was the best player in the gym. She got wherever she wanted on the court. As my late Grandma Rosie would say, “She acts like she been here before.” She made pull-ups, got to the basket and finished with her left and right hand. She also facilitated well when it was time too. I have the feeling she could do anything that was asked of her. She’s playing at a high level, somewhere above the 6,000 feet of elevation that Colorado Springs, CO can offer.

2020 Hailey Van Lith 5’9” SG Cashmere HS WA

Hailey has serious ball skills. She has a big-time handle she uses to get anywhere on the court. Her head always on a swivel, she was able to keep the defense off balance with no-look passes and other passes that thread the needle. Van Lith was able to make the spectacular pass look routine, and her teammates look good.

LBI Event Recap: USA Trials Day 2

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
White Team -

Hailey Van Lith #47

Haley Jones #85

Cameron Brink #175

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors