17U trials in Colorado | The Boneyard

17U trials in Colorado

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Geno is still a 'consultant' to USABasketball....right?
Will he be out 'consulting' during the trials? Is it a no-contact period for college coaches?
If so...he can simply watch [and wave occasionally]...correct?

Recommendation: take your clubs..play one of the 5 Broadmoor courses in your spare time.
Better yet: wangle an invitation to Cherry Hills up in Denver....better than any of The Broadmoor
group. Olde tyme golf fans: First hole at Cherry Hills....shortish par 4...Arnie drove the green and went on to a huge comeback to win the U.S. Open...maybe around 1960? A chubby Jack Nicklaus...maybe 19 years old...an amateur...had a serious run for the title....played with Ben Hogan. Afterwards Hogan said something like...if the fat kid had a brain he would have won. That sounds just a tad harsh but I think I have it about right.

More than a bit ironic since Nicklaus now is regarded as having waaay elite course management skills over his career.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We know that their site [usabasketball.com] will have pictures and stories on the trials but:

Of more importance for UConn fans...the Dean of The Horde [Carl Adamec] will be out there and we should be regularly
checking his blog....and the Journal Inquirer....for his take on things.

The blog is:

www.SNYUConn.com.

Lots of UConn targets out there....maybe an article about Carla Beruuuuube?
Fantastic off-season coverage for UConn fans....a privilege.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carla Barube is the head coach of the team. UCONN has a lot at stake here (3 recruiting classes actually) there will be more than a dozen (Aliyah Boston, Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark, Jordan Horston, Azzi Fudd, Kylee Watson, Cameron Brink, Maddie Burke, Angel Jackson, Haley Jones, Natalija Marshall, Hailey Van Lith, Amari DeBerry, Hannah Gusters, Elauna Eaton, & Caroline Ducharme) UCONN prospects at the trials. I'm sure Geno has Carla's number.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno is still a 'consultant' to USABasketball....right?
Will he be out 'consulting' during the trials? Is it a no-contact period for college coaches?
If so...he can simply watch [and wave occasionally]...correct?

Recommendation: take your clubs..play one of the 5 Broadmoor courses in your spare time.
Better yet: wangle an invitation to Cherry Hills up in Denver....better than any of The Broadmoor
group. Olde tyme golf fans: First hole at Cherry Hills....shortish par 4...Arnie drove the green and went on to a huge comeback to win the U.S. Open...maybe around 1960? A chubby Jack Nicklaus...maybe 19 years old...an amateur...had a serious run for the title....played with Ben Hogan. Afterwards Hogan said something like...if the fat kid had a brain he would have won. That sounds just a tad harsh but I think I have it about right.

More than a bit ironic since Nicklaus now is regarded as having waaay elite course management skills over his career.
Yep, it was 1960. A rare combo of Arnie, Jack, and Hogan. Yes, that comment may have spurred Jack’s meticulous course management.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't know if Geno will be in Colorado but he'll be in Chicago on Thursday participating (again) in the What Drives Winning conference at the University of Chicago. He participated in the conference in Boston last year and some videos of Geno's remarks have been posted on this board.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Ben always was a charmer.
Sure was. Great story from the late 50s. Gary Player introduces himself to Hogan who has his own club manufacturing business and says "Mr Hogan, would you take a look at my swing and maybe have a tip or two? Hogan: "Mr Player, what clubs do you use?" Player: Why I use Dunlops sir." Hogan: "Why don't you go ask Dunlop for a lesson?" He was a beauty.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Perhaps just an urban legend...but some pro played with Hogan and later was asked whether Hogan ever talked to him during the round. I gather that he was pretty close-mouthed and devoted entirely to his own game. The pro responded that indeed Ben had frequently talked to him. The reporter was surprised and asked him what Hogan had said. The pro responded that Ben frequently said 'you're away'.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
2018 USA U17 World Cup Team Trials Expected to Feature 172 Athletes

This link is to the USABasketball site....the 17U trials

Help me out here. The article lists 172 players....One Hundred Seventy Two!...who will be in Colorado Springs participating. There have been frequent articles indicating around 35 were initially invited....for the 12 spots.

This new article...from May 23...lists 'just a few' more. What sense does this make...is it just so USABasketball can put their eyeballs on anyone and everyone they think maybe has a shot down the road? BTW: do all the kids have their travel/living expenses paid for?

BTW: One kid is from Ct....2019 forward Vienna Knox from Mercy High in Middletown.

Is it realistic to think that anyone other than the original 35 kids will be picked?

Just on the surface of it....172 strikes me as overkill if not downright absurd. Why am I wrong?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
2018 USA U17 World Cup Team Trials Expected to Feature 172 Athletes

This link is to the USABasketball site....the 17U trials

Help me out here. The article lists 172 players....One Hundred Seventy Two!...who will be in Colorado Springs participating. There have been frequent articles indicating around 35 were initially invited....for the 12 spots.

This new article...from May 23...lists 'just a few' more. What sense does this make...is it just so USABasketball can put their eyeballs on anyone and everyone they think maybe has a shot down the road? BTW: do all the kids have their travel/living expenses paid for?

BTW: One kid is from Ct....2019 forward Vienna Knox from Mercy High in Middletown.

Is it realistic to think that anyone other than the original 35 kids will be picked?

Just on the surface of it....172 strikes me as overkill if not downright absurd. Why am I wrong?

A few years ago, USA Basketball opened up trials to anyone who thought they deserved an official invite. IF they wanted to go they had to pay their way there though. Most of the non-invitees won't make the team, however, one Sabrina Ionescu was the first player to take this opportunity and play out of her mind and earn a spot on the team. So, it happens, albeit at a low percentage. It's a good experience for most and I think they understand that, but I think they cut a big chunk of players that first day.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carla Barube is the head coach of the team. UCONN has a lot at stake here (3 recruiting classes actually) there will be more than a dozen (Aliyah Boston, Paige Bueckers, Caitlin Clark, Jordan Horston, Azzi Fudd, Kylee Watson, Cameron Brink, Maddie Burke, Angel Jackson, Haley Jones, Natalija Marshall, Hailey Van Lith, Amari DeBerry, Hannah Gusters, Elauna Eaton, & Caroline Ducharme) UCONN prospects at the trials. I'm sure Geno has Carla's number.

Aubrey Griffin (Ossining) is out there as well.

Reaction Score
A few years ago, USA Basketball opened up trials to anyone who thought they deserved an official invite. IF they wanted to go they had to pay their way there though. Most of the non-invitees won't make the team, however, one Sabrina Ionescu was the first player to take this opportunity and play out of her mind and earn a spot on the team. So, it happens, albeit at a low percentage. It's a good experience for most and I think they understand that, but I think they cut a big chunk of players that first day.
I think Ruthy Hebard was a non-invitee the first time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And they're off.

Paige Bueckers and Amari DeBerry:

Dd_6Y9BUQAI5zGO.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On flip side some kids may not want to experience being cut again and not try out. Not easy

This is also true for some adults . . . as we've learned.

Reaction Score
Cutting Haley Jones last year was a highly questionable. When I try to rememeber the roster off the top of my head I go in order 4 to 15. The first players I started to question were 10 (Jordyn Oliver) and 11 (Diamond Miller) (those numbers might actually be switched around. I thought that Haley could have been in either of their spots. But the very last member of the team is 15 Fran Belibi. I'm not trying to knock her any, but she doesn't compare to Jones.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Hit Carl's link

www.SNYUConn.com

His first story is up...on Jordan Horston....6' junior guard from Ohio.
She is going to make a visit to Storrs June 1....good!

BTW; Remember that Amari DeBerry was in Albany for the regionals...to watch Buffalo and just maybe UConn.

1/2...2/1 with Azzi Fudd from 2021???

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
And they're off.

Paige Bueckers and Amari DeBerry:

Dd_6Y9BUQAI5zGO.jpg

Thanks for posting this picture. Two thoughts:

- Paige B. was a pretty darned good sprinter when she was younger and this "step up" is right out of the sprinter's warm-up playbook.
- She seems to be in a kind of zone....her own "private Idaho" if you will. I like this: when a participant enjoys what she/he is doing so much that they're absorbed in an almost pure sense. You see a lot of that in the way she plays. And, here, in how she even exercises.

Go Paige...fly!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this picture. Two thoughts:

- Paige B. was a pretty darned good sprinter when she was younger and this "step up" is right out of the sprinter's warm-up playbook.
- She seems to be in a kind of zone....her own "private Idaho" if you will. I like this: when a participant enjoys what she/he is doing so much that they're absorbed in an almost pure sense. You see a lot of that in the way she plays. And, here, in how she even exercises.

Go Paige...fly!
They are just doing some dynamic stretching the way soccer players do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom