17U trials in Colorado | Page 8 | The Boneyard

17U trials in Colorado

Reaction Score
Brink, Brunelle & Belibi will have to be prepared to spend some time in the post if needed.

hopefully they'll be so far ahead by that point it won't matter who's playing there..........will have to start looking at the other teams to see if there are any good teams with big front lines

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't know much about Belibi, but her weight suggest she has a lot of size on all the other players (selected and recently cut):

If they wanted size they could've kept River Baldwin who has 3 inches and 20 pounds on Belibi.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Brink, Brunelle & Belibi will have to be prepared to spend some time in the post if needed.

Brunelle is a post player, no? She isn't going to play the wing in college.

BTW, this roster wasn't put together in a vacuum. The committee knows which countries will be the toughest competition and what their rosters will look like.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brunelle is a post player, no? She isn't going to play the wing in college.

Think she's a bit of both, actually. She's not the most efficient shooter to be kind about it so it helps to be able to bang inside, and she can do that some.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Obviously, everyone can play at a very high level (no pun intended for the setting of the tryout), but I'm still a bit perplexed about how many point guards are on the roster. I don't think this is going to be an issue in most games, but when (and where) are the minutes for Van Lith, Osborne, Cooke and Beckers?

On one hand...to paraphrase UConnCat, I don't these choices were done in a vacuum. On the other hand, there is a bit of the "best possible athlete" (versus need and situation) in my mind....

Based on everything I've read and heard, thought Jackson was going to take the step up this year.

In any case, congrats to the 12 that did make it, those that were in the finalists ranks. Great achievements...use them well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Obviously, everyone can play at a very high level (no pun intended for the setting of the tryout), but I'm still a bit perplexed about how many point guards are on the roster. I don't think this is going to be an issue in most games, but when (and where) are the minutes for Van Lith, Osborne, Cooke and Beckers?

Is Osborne a point guard? I was under the impression she was a 2-guard. Bueckers can play either position and Cooke and Van Lith are as much scorers as passers. My question is what do they do with Fudd and Horston? Both can play guard or wing. Fudd played in the back court a lot with Bueckers last summer. Horston apparently played wing a lot this year in high school.

Reaction Score
Someone's trying to start trouble...

Does anyone know what "politics" he is speaking of? I remember when Rellah was left off of the U16 team, and she was said to be one of the best players there.
Is the "politics" SAY related? Just curious

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Premiere Basketball Report trio with their thoughts on the trials, player evals, omissions, etc:

SHANE LAFLIN

Haley Jones
– To me, hands down, the best player at the U17 Trials overall. There is not a part of the floor in which she is uncomfortable. She is a two-way player and displays IQ on both ends. She rebounds, she defends, she is a good passer, and has the skills to score the ball in a variety of ways.. Having been cut here before, she could have easily pressed a bit, but she is cool and calm at all times. She is smooth with the ball in her hands.. and knows the subtleties of playing without the ball. Her versatility is very key… absolute HOOPER.

Paige Bueckers– She loves to play.. and it screams from the floor. Another player that seems to be collected at all times and versatile at the guard spot.. With a frame that some could think needs strength, she finishes extremely well with contact and in traffic. The J is smooth.. She is crafty and uses her size and length well on the defensive end. She is the right mix of flash and fundamentals and I had to use the phrase “Pistol Paige (Bueckers) Maravich” several times this weekend – and in no way do I think I’m the first one to make that comparison.

Cameron Brink– Of my five, this one is admittedly the one based the most on upside – but that is not to say the current production should be dismissed. When I see tools, size and athleticism + that look in a player’s eye that says they have high expectations for themselves, I can vibe a bit more with the “projection” talk. Cameron is a sponge and in talking the game with her, she understands basketball concepts at a very high level. She was great in the trail spot here and always leaves her mark defensively. She showed us flashes of the upside on a couple long range jumpers.. As she gains strength and then patience in her post/extended post/high post touches… she can be almost unstoppable.

JASON KEY

To Shane’s point, I thought that Jones and Bueckers were the most outstandingly consistent players of the trials.

Jordan Horston– I termed Horston “Little Penny”. Horston’s ability to create for others off the bounce stood out as soon as the games began. Flashed the ability to finish in traffic off the bounce. Showed easy 3-ball range both off the bounce and catch. Good use of length defensively with the ability to guard any perimeter position.

Azzi Fudd– I called both Mark and Shane the first time I caught Fudd a few summers ago and I proclaimed Fudd to be the next “one”. I admittedly can get excited when I catch a young player for the first time, but boy was I right on this one. Has an old-school feel to her game and plays with the patience and understanding of the game of a grizzled vet. Natural leadership qualities… A major weapon in Fudd’s arsenal is the one or two-dribble pull up jumper from the mid-range. Efficient dribble and excellent use of shoulders to create space… Vision off the bounce… Easy 3-ball range off the bounce or catch… Use of shoulders allow for many and-1 opportunities. Excellent on-ball perimeter defender…

Hailey Van Lith– Hailey came in as a mystery guest with a huge reputation to many who had not seen her before and lived up to the hype. Explosive right to left cross… Creates contact and gets to the free throw line seemingly at will. Strong frame allows for contact finishes. Excellent vision off the bounce… Excels in pick and roll situations. Extremely competitive perimeter defender…

Hannah Gusters– Anybody who knows me will tell you if a Duncanville Pantherette is in the mix, I’m going to write about her. The next in a long line of hoopers to come out of the Texas powerhouse, Gusters made her presence felt throughout the weekend. Does the work early in creating deep post position. Excellent touch in the paint. Will face up and hit you out to 15-18 feet consistently with emerging ability from the 3-point line at the top of the key. Active post presence defensively and on the boards…

MARK WILLIAMS

Aaliyah Boston - Boston was MVP of the 2017 FIBA U16 Americas Championship in Argentina, but she didn’t really on that coming into 2018 USA U17 Trials. She came to trials in better shape than last year and on a mission that no one was going to take her spot. She was a beast on the boards and it was tough to keep from scoring in the low post. Her improved conditioning allowed her to keep her high level of play through the trials.

2018 U17 USA Basketball Trials

Reaction Score
So you're saying Team USA won't win gold because Jackson was cut?

Nah lol they’re far too talented. I’m just saying she will be one of the ones that should have made it but didn’t.

IMHO she will be far better then Brunelle and Belibi in College, the same could be said for Reese.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Van Lith and Bueckers in the same back court, Brink and Boston working the high-low together, Jones and Horston hounding defensively.....

Oh did I mention Azzi Fudd?

I feel bad for the opposition.
Fast-forward a few year and that could be the core of the Huskies. :)

Reaction Score
I am wondering if EGB has bothered to follow Boothe's college career, because I would say that, to date, it has answered ALL the questions re USA basketball's decision back then.

exactly.............comparing Jackson's situation to Boothe's isn't doing her any favors............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
exactly...comparing Jackson's situation to Boothe's isn't doing her any favors..
And to be clear, I certainly wasn't making any comparison except the one you and I pointed out.

I never feel we public folks have a clue regarding the players as we get 15 second clips of highlighted action as our 'evaluation', and so many of the people who publicized the play have so many interlocking conflicts between the sponsorship from corporations and their own sports businesses. I really respect the USA Basketball organization and the jobs they perform, my biggest quibble being some of the coaches they choose at the lower levels.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

(Referring to Brunelle) Think she's a bit of both, actually. She's not the most efficient shooter to be kind about it so it helps to be able to bang inside, and she can do that some.

According to Coach Carla in the press release, that seems to be the plan:
“I think we have some great inside players with some great experience with Aliyah (Boston), Fran (Belibi) and Sam Brunelle, who have been here with their leadership, along with some great guard play and the experience from last year."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am wondering if EGB has bothered to follow Boothe's college career, because I would say that, to date, it has answered ALL the questions re USA basketball's decision back then.
exactly...comparing Jackson's situation to Boothe's isn't doing her any favors..
Have to disagree with both of you. Making these team should largely (mostly) be about what you do at the trials. The point of comparison is not Boothe the player/person to Jackson the player person, it is how each player performed at the trials. By many accounts Boothe dominated the U16 trials in 2015 and did not make the team. By many accounts Jackson was among the best players at the trials this year and did not make the team. It is always going to be the case that some very good players get left off these teams because the selection committees are selecting from among some very talented players. What a player does in their college career neither validates nor invalidates the committee selection. Moriah Jefferson was twice cut from USA basketball teams. BTW USA Basketball must not have been too disappointed in Rellah, because after failing to make the U16 squad in 2015 she was an invited player for the U17 team trails and was moved up to be on the U18 team just one summer later.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is Osborne a point guard? I was under the impression she was a 2-guard. Bueckers can play either position and Cooke and Van Lith are as much scorers as passers. My question is what do they do with Fudd and Horston? Both can play guard or wing. Fudd played in the back court a lot with Bueckers last summer. Horston apparently played wing a lot this year in high school.
Osborne is a scoring PG in very much the same mold as Van Lith or the South Carolina version of Crystal Dangerfield. Bueckers and Cooke each have a few inches (2-4) on Osborne and Van Lith and that makes it easier for Bueckers and Cooke to play and defend the SG or SF position.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with both of you. Making these team should largely (mostly) be about what you do at the trials. The point of comparison is not Boothe the player/person to Jackson the player person, it is how each player performed at the trials. By many accounts Boothe dominated the U16 trials in 2015 and did not make the team. By many accounts Jackson was among the best players at the trials this year and did not make the team. It is always going to be the case that some very good players get left off these teams because the selection committees are selecting from among some very talented players. What a player does in their college career neither validates or invalidates the committee selection. Moriah Jefferson was twice cut from USA basketball teams. BTW USA Basketball must not have been too disappointed in Rellah, because after failing to make the U16 squad in 2015 she was an invited player for the U17 team trails and was moved up to be on the U18 team just one summer later.

I agree that they have to make judgments based on what they see but a frustrating player like Boothe can dominate and still not be the kind of player the committee is looking for.........she was well known even back then as someone who could turn it on one minute and shut it off the next........I assume they were/are looking for players that give 100% all the time and that was not Boothe then and it's certainly not the Boothe we saw at Texas.......... I've never heard that criticism aimed at Jackson but at this level somebody really good is going to get cut and that's the unfortunate truth.........hopefully she'll use it as motivation to just keep on working harder as MoJef did.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what "politics" he is speaking of? I remember when Rellah was left off of the U16 team, and she was said to be one of the best players there.
Is the "politics" SAY related? Just curious
How much time do you have? Just remember you asked.
In 2015 Rellah Boothe in the estimation of some of the people who were in the gym at USA U16 trials was the best player and did not make the team. Those people included Mark Lewis and Mike Flynn. That U16 would go on to win only Silver in Mexico and the team was led by AEH. This caused all kinds off nuts to come out of the wood work including:
1) YouTube video with highlights of Rellah from the trials the title of which was "Grown Woman" the implication being she was a "grown woman" playing among girls.
2) Rellah came to national prominence at an Adidas tournament in spring of 2014, since USA basketball is Nike sponsored a few of the nuts pointed to that angle as a reason why she was cut.
3) Rellah's personality. In HS Rellah was on a very talented team that actually beat Crystal Dangerfield's team when they were ranked #1 in the country but she did not play well with other and was guoted as saying she needs to work on her body language and temper. She would later transfer from that high school and enroll in IMG Academy.
4) Regional bias for USA basketball. The U16 team from which Rellah was cut featured 4 players from Texas 2 from California, two from Ohio and Zero from the entire South. Some of the other nuts pointed this out as proof that the selection committee clearly had a bias against players from the South.
5) Rellah's handlers the ones responsible for the YouTube video and her enrollment at IMG were putting off many college coaches in the recruiting process and advising her in the worse way possible. The advise was so bad that by the time Rellah secured a college scholarship she was saying stuff like this: I'm going to average 45 points a game this season. ... "I'm not expecting 40-0 right away,"

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom