“It’s all over” - A compilation of a few really dumb posts | Page 19 | The Boneyard

“It’s all over” - A compilation of a few really dumb posts

If these were your only 5 options...

• Hurley

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • Crean

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • McGrath

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Skerry

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
This thing has assumed a life not only on this board but in the local and national press. Wonder if KO knows that if he doesn’t get results in the next 6-8 games there’s a chance he’s done for in this job? It seems obvious to many, but I wonder?
He knows. In fact, last year he was made aware that his seat was getting warm. He even said in an interview midway through last season, that when the players don’t perform we not only lose game, but can cost you your job, referring to himself. The volume now is at maximum level.

Reaction Score
The intersting thing with Danny Hurley is the whole Tom Moore aspect. Tom is an assistsnt for Hurley at URI, and if Hurley ever got the UConn job, I would think he absolutely brings Tom Moore with him for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
This is what we have to choose from?

Yikes.

Just saw Hurleys recruiting classes. If we hire this guy, we'll have a redux of "Why can't we recruit any good players?" threads on this board.
Ya think he might have a chance at better recruits at UConn than Rhode Island?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He didn't get us into the Big East Dave Gavitt did. Uconn was always part of Gavitt's vision for the BE.
JC was in competition with Mitch Buonagaro from Fairfield. George Karl applied for the job but made no secret of the fact that he wanted an NBA job. I'm sure there were others but those are the 2 I remember. JC was an easy choice with his success at Northeastern and according to JC he didn't need to be convinced to take the UConn job. He saw the potential from the beginning.
Geno was an assistant with no head coaching experience as I recall. We found a hidden gem.
Gavitt worked at UConn?

JC was a no-brainer and Toner merely got lucky with Geno?

Ok then.

Next you'll tell me Hathaway did a better job during his tenure.

Alternate facts have officially taken hold of the Boneyard.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Best available coach is Pitino, hands down. He's got a chip on his shoulder and an axe to grind. With the spotlight on him he won't be able to cheat so he will recruit and coach his ass off. Who knows? With his buddy here JC may even stay the whole game.

Reaction Score
He didn't get us into the Big East Dave Gavitt did. Uconn was always part of Gavitt's vision for the BE.
JC was in competition with Mitch Buonagaro from Fairfield. George Karl applied for the job but made no secret of the fact that he wanted an NBA job. I'm sure there were others but those are the 2 I remember. JC was an easy choice with his success at Northeastern and according to JC he didn't need to be convinced to take the UConn job. He saw the potential from the beginning.
Geno was an assistant with no head coaching experience as I recall. We found a hidden gem.

I wasn't there, but it's an oft-repeated assumption that Gavitt chose UConn for the Big East only when Holy Cross declined. That certainly makes sense since HC was an equivalent program at the time and was a private Catholic school like most of the other members. From the UConn side, the catalyst was almost certainly Dee Rowe, a long-time friend of Gavitt. Dee Rowe is the forgotten man in UConn's rise to the big-time. It was he who elevated UConn from perennial Yankee Conference champ to the regional peer of Holy Cross, BC and Providence. In fact by the time Rowe became coach in 1970, UMass had replaced UConn as Yankee Conference kingpin. There would have been no Big East invite without Dee Rowe.

Reaction Score
I wasn't there, but it's an oft-repeated assumption that Gavitt chose UConn for the Big East only when Holy Cross declined. That certainly makes sense since HC was an equivalent program at the time and was a private Catholic school like most of the other members. From the UConn side, the catalyst was almost certainly Dee Rowe, a long-time friend of Gavitt. Dee Rowe is the forgotten man in UConn's rise to the big-time. It was he who elevated UConn from perennial Yankee Conference champ to the regional peer of Holy Cross, BC and Providence. In fact by the time Rowe became coach in 1970, UMass had replaced UConn as Yankee Conference kingpin. There would have been no Big East invite without Dee Rowe.
True. Rowe and Gavitt were good friends.

Reaction Score

Yep Dee Rowe as well as his relationship with Gavitt was huge. Speaking of coaches who were hammered during their time on the bench, he also was by fans back in the day although he did a nice job for a school in the Yankee Conference with much less expectations, or so I think?

Reaction Score
Buonagaro was the Bob Diaco of basketball back in those days, him instead of JC would have been a dumpster fire in a year. Even left the Fairfield U program in a mess, I remember the "Ditch Mitch" posters plastered all over town.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Best available coach is Pitino, hands down. He's got a chip on his shoulder and an axe to grind. With the spotlight on him he won't be able to cheat so he will recruit and coach his ass off. Who knows? With his buddy here JC may even stay the whole game.

I made it!

Reaction Score
Who were the good players that left in droves after last year? The players that transferred were average to below average at best.
If Jackson, Durham & Enoch are "below average" players then how would you classify the current forwards we have? Something tells me those 3 will be pretty good players on their new teams next year.

Reaction Score
If Jackson, Durham & Enoch are "below average" players then how would you classify the current forwards we have? Something tells me those 3 will be pretty good players on their new teams next year.
Jackson is so slow laterally. He can't guard anyone man-to-man and he can't create his own shot. Enoch, is a woulda, coulda, shoulda player. Unfortunately he can't play defense without fouling so he never is on the floor to actually do anything. The jury is still out on Durham, I haven't seen enough of him.

Reaction Score
Jackson is so slow laterally. He can't guard anyone man-to-man and he can't create his own shot. Enoch, is a woulda, coulda, shoulda player. Unfortunately he can't play defense without fouling so he never is on the floor to actually do anything. The jury is still out on Durham, I haven't seen enough of him.
So again, if those players are "below average" what would you call our players? Because all 3 of those guys would be starting on this team

Reaction Score
Durham has outstanding potential. The other 2 not so much.

Reaction Score
Durham has outstanding potential. The other 2 not so much.

Yeah if Durham can get stronger on his feet and upper body there's a lot to work with there I have no doubt. Enoch turned into a stiff who still thinks he's better, watch he's not. Vance, well we could have used him if his dad stayed home. Despite all of his inabilities laterally and guarding people he can make shots and we have very little if any of that. We have guys out there who aren't guarding or making shots.

Reaction Score
Yeh! I agree Danzz with Durham being a loss and potentially could be a big loss. I believe he was the last to go and was hoping he would stay but................

Reaction Score
So again, if those players are "below average" what would you call our players? Because all 3 of those guys would be starting on this team
I would call them below "below average".

Reaction Score
No real argument on your assessments really but all 3 would get big minutes on current UConn team.....we also need to remember Jackson & Durham were only freshman so they will improve with Durham having the higher ceiling probably. Enoch didn't show much but I have no idea if our staff showed him much either. I think we all would like to have at least Durham & Jackson in the fold but we don't...........maybe Carlton, Polley, Diarra & Whaley develop into useful forwards but losing those guys that transferred really hurt us this year.

Reaction Score
I would call them below "below average".
Not to pile on, but Conference All-Rookie + National consensus Top 60 not below average. Moreover, injury status aside, Durham was 5/4 Star Recruit—also not considered below average. And, I wouldn’t call a former Gatorade Player of Year and recruited by Pitino a below average player. He has scads of potential under the right coach.

Reaction Score
We won't ever be a top 10 program as long as we are in the AAC. We can be a top 25 program, though. P5 or NBE would likely raise that ceiling.
Keep telling yourself that. People also got comfortable saying that Uconn would get crushed in the BE trying to compete with juggernauts like Georgetown, Villanova, and Syracuse.
If Uconn does hire a new coach with that mentality about our conference, pretty sure we hired the wrong coach.

Reaction Score
- basketball attendence at multi year lows
- football attendance at multi year lows
- uninspiring hire to replace football coach
- horrendous and undeserved contract extension
- losing state of CT monetary support
- awful national headlines discussing student supplemental tuition
- embarassing battle, even if unwarranted, headlines about RE’s son on the staff
- atrocious situation with XL Center negotiation and future of the program in its only connection with the rest of the state

Your turn.... those are all called facts

But I’ll wait to read how I’m just misinformed
Fact... beans are .39/lb at Stop and Shop this weekend!
Your turn....

Reaction Score
By how many points will Uconn go down early and at what mark?

I'm saying down by 15 within 10 minutes. It is a constant that Ollie and staff have not solved for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom