You guys have gone off the deep end! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

You guys have gone off the deep end!

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you say, but that’s year 7 he’d be on the hot seat. 5 years with no tournament wins and 7 years before a sweet sixteen -assuming success in this timeline- frankly isn’t amazing. I like DH but when you spell it out like this it’s pretty stark
I'm expecting us to be a bubble team next year. He'll be on the hot seat going into the 2023/2024 season. The problem is that he's under contract through 2026/2027. So he's not going anywhere for a while.

Reaction Score
It's a poor attempt at trolling, it's all that guy does on Twitter. He'd fit in well here
It would cost them $15mm to hire him, plus the contract. Idk how much they're getting paid by Maryland but I doubt it's $15mm

Reaction Score
It would cost them $15mm to hire him, plus the contract. Idk how much they're getting paid by Maryland but I doubt it's $15mm
His buyout is $15M? I thought it was around $5-6M now

Reaction Score
His buyout is $15M? I thought it was around $5-6M now
I thought it reset with the extension. But they never posted details so I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
We finished 21st in KenPom last year and are currently in 21st (could drop a bit based upon how the rest of March Madness plays out). The last time we had back-to-back Top 25 KenPom finishes was 2005 (15) and 2006 (4).

Winning % trend:

View attachment 74615

Efficiency trend:

View attachment 74616

Hurley's not a great in-game coach, and his inability to develop more ball-handlers/playmakers/shooters is a legitimate concern -- we've gone out in the first game twice in a row because of that. He needs to have a come-to-Jesus moment and realize the game has changed a ton in the past 35 years in some ways (shooting rules), but in other ways it's still the same (college hoops will always be a guard's game).

I don't know if he can/will do that. But the classes he's brought in this year and for next year, as well as the guys he's recruiting for 2023 says he recognizes the problem and is working to fix it.

So yes, the people who want him fired are nuts. But there are very, very legit concerns, and next year he needs to show progress in addressing them.
I think Hurley very clearly and concertedly went with a high-floor but low-ish ceiling strategy by bringing in guys like Cole and Martin, and retaining veterans like Whaley and Polley, to get us back to respectability quickly, even if it meant we would have a lower chance of getting lucky on some players and maybe making a deep run quickly.

But what that respectability bought us was credibility among recruits that the program was back, and that's clearly paying dividends in the last few recruiting classes.

The next step, yes, is to make good on those high-ceiling recruits and piece together a coherent roster with skills that mesh.

Reaction Score
I thought it reset with the extension. But they never posted details so I could be wrong.
Looks like it's pretty low starting soon

Protection against a Hurley departure is built into the contract. The coach would owe UConn $10 million if he left before April 1, 2022; $6 million before April 2023; $4.5 million before April 2024; $3.5 million before April 2025; and $2 million before April 2026.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley very clearly and concertedly went with a high-floor but low-ish ceiling strategy by bringing in guys like Cole and Martin, and retaining veterans like Whaley and Polley, to get us back to respectability quickly, even if it meant we would have a lower chance of getting lucky on some players and maybe making a deep run quickly.

But what that respectability bought us was credibility among recruits that the program was back, and that's clearly paying dividends in the last few recruiting classes.

The next step, yes, is to make good on those high-ceiling recruits and piece together a coherent roster with skills that mesh.
He took the long approach. Where his plan sort of fell short was Gaffney being a bust. Gaffney slowed down the timeline

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He took the long approach. Where his plan sort of fell short was Gaffney being a bust. Gaffney slowed down the timeline
I’m not ready to write gaff off yet. We’ve seen players become more from less in their senior years.

A surprise senior year from him could become a hell of a story, and that’s why we watch.

I don’t expect him to be great next year, I just accept it as possible. He’s shown the ability to hit open shots, to attack off the dribble. His decision making and ball protection have been considerably poor given his experience level but those things are more fixable than other sins.

I’m going to hold out hope for the young man.

His late season interview revealed a heartbreaking struggle to stay positive and keep pushing to better himself. A mental reset with the off-season and a little healthy job battle might be just what the doctor ordered.

It would feel good if he can make the right corrections.

Reaction Score
If you love Hurley, that's fine...with the players he has he should have won 20 plus games...taken the team to a spot in March Madness. But don't expect him to win in the NCAA's when you are eight men deep at most and rarely can put two players on the court that can put the ball in the basket. You know why they led the Big East in offensive rebounding? Because they miss so many shots! Forget about height get some kids that can score!
My thoughts exactly on the Offensive Rebounding staa

Reaction Score
Looks like it's pretty low starting soon

Protection against a Hurley departure is built into the contract. The coach would owe UConn $10 million if he left before April 1, 2022; $6 million before April 2023; $4.5 million before April 2024; $3.5 million before April 2025; and $2 million before April 2026.
Never understood why the buyouts don't match on both sides.

Reaction Score
I stayed away from The Yard until now b/c I knew this place would be on fire, I'm assuming I'm right. I want to preface this that losing to NM State is inexcusable and Hurley needs to make adjustments. This could have been a S16 team and it was fair to make that our expectations. But this team was flawed still and it showed on Thursday. We need to have a better go-to-scorer/a true PG (and that is no knock on RJ, he was the only guy who showed up second half vs NM State). No doubt about that. However, Hurely deserves to keep his job through at least the next two seasons.

I just wanted to point out some positives from this year:
  • First time Preseason Top 25 since 2016-17
  • First time being ranked 15 or higher since 2013-14
  • First time being ranked in the final AP Poll since 2013-14
  • First time being a 5-seed or higher since 2010-11
  • First time making back-to-back tournaments since 2010-11/2011-12
All this was accomplished losing your top scorer to the NBA Draft Lottery and navigating a mid-season COVID stoppage. If we happened to beat NM State and then lose to Arkansas in a close one, how many of you are still mad? Yes, it's 2 seasons in a row we lost as the higher seed. But you have to take a look at where we were 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago! That is what drives me insane about calling for Hurley's job.

Next year will be a tough year. Losing Polley/Whaley. Most likely losing Cole/Martin. Potentially losing Sanogo (I am sure he will test the waters to a degree). You'll be starting a lot of underclass who were talented in HS but have not proved it at this level, so it will be some growing pains. No UConn team has went to 3-straight NCAATs since 05-06 mind you, so lets just manage our expectations going forward. The 23-24 team very well could be special if Hurley is able to develop the talent that's coming in. We've seen him do it with most (not all) of the guys he's brought in.

Reaction Score
I stayed away from The Yard until now b/c I knew this place would be on fire, I'm assuming I'm right. I want to preface this that losing to NM State is inexcusable and Hurley needs to make adjustments. This could have been a S16 team and it was fair to make that our expectations. But this team was flawed still and it showed on Thursday. We need to have a better go-to-scorer/a true PG (and that is no knock on RJ, he was the only guy who showed up second half vs NM State). No doubt about that. However, Hurely deserves to keep his job through at least the next two seasons.

All this was accomplished losing your top scorer to the NBA Draft Lottery and navigating a mid-season COVID stoppage. If we happened to beat NM State and then lose to Arkansas in a close one, how many of you are still mad? Yes, it's 2 seasons in a row we lost as the higher seed. But you have to take a look at where we were 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago! That is what drives me insane about calling for Hurley's job.

Next year will be a tough year. Losing Polley/Whaley. Most likely losing Cole/Martin. Potentially losing Sanogo (I am sure he will test the waters to a degree). You'll be starting a lot of underclass who were talented in HS but have not proved it at this level, so it will be some growing pains. No UConn team has went to 3-straight NCAATs since 05-06 mind you, so lets just manage our expectations going forward. The 23-24 team very well could be special if Hurley is able to develop the talent that's coming in. We've seen him do it with most (not all) of the guys he's brought in.
What if we have a losing record in the BE next year? How does that make you feel?

To your comment about beating NMSU and then losing to Arkansas, I think that would have made for a good year. Sweet 16 was probably the goal for many, but winning a game would have represented strong progress. If Arkansas embarrassed us on the National stage, then I might not be as happy but at least we’d have won game.

As you said, it’s inexcusable, but no matter how angry we are, he’s going to get another shot regardless of how anyone feels. Fingers crossed the team looks prepared for any postseason play. The eye test is part of it for me.

Reaction Score

But good recap of the high points too. It matters less to me than March, but it serves a purpose in recruiting, for example.

Reaction Score
What if we have a losing record in the BE next year? How does that make you feel?
I'd say a below .500 BE season would put him squarely on the hot season for the following year no doubt.
Fingers crossed the team looks prepared for any postseason play. The eye test is part of it for me.
This is the concern for me too. Lack of preparations/adjustments in BIG games. Remember Villanova in Hartford was Kimani, so can't even give Hurley credit there. But let's face it, back-to-back duds in BE semi games and NCAA first round games is very much a trend that that is emerging and is problematic.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'd say a below .500 BE season would put him squarely on the hot season for the following year no doubt.

This is the concern for me too. Lack of preparations/adjustments in BIG games. Remember Villanova in Hartford was Kimani, so can't even give Hurley credit there. But let's face it, back-to-back duds in BE semi games and NCAA first round games is very much a trend that that is emerging and is problematic.
Hard disagree to anyone who credits that Nova W to Kimani. We were shot out of cannons in that game. Hurley had us primed and rabid. He called a back door AJ lob out of the gate because he knew it would fire up the team and the crowd.

Kimani played the end game well, but it bothers me fully when people try to take away that W from Danny. And his ejection was BS to boot.

Reaction Score
After UConn lost to UCLA in the tourney in 1995, plenty of people were calling for Calhoun's head. There was an article (in the Courant?) that basically stated that Calhoun couldn't coach. That his plan against UCLA was for Ray to go one on 5. This after losing to the eventual champs.

Hurley needs more time before he is dubbed the Cronin of UConn. I am happy to say that I can look forward to another good, and hopefully great season next year. I couldn't say that a few years ago.

Reaction Score
After UConn lost to UCLA in the tourney in 1995, plenty of people were calling for Calhoun's head. There was an article (in the Courant?) that basically stated that Calhoun couldn't coach. That his plan against UCLA was for Ray to go one on 5. This after losing to the eventual champs.

Hurley needs more time before he is dubbed the Cronin of UConn. I am happy to say that I can look forward to another good, and hopefully great season next year. I couldn't say that a few years ago.
And I was just 10 back then, so I remember the game somewhat but I don't vividly recall any season until 1998-99 (although I remember the 98 UNC game all too well) but I assume those calls for Calhoun to leave must have intensified for Ole Miss (96) and missing the tourney completely in 97. Thank goodness for those who stuck with him for 4 more years.

Reaction Score
And I was just 10 back then, so I remember the game somewhat but I don't vividly recall any season until 1998-99 (although I remember the 98 UNC game all too well) but I assume those calls for Calhoun to leave must have intensified for Ole Miss (96) and missing the tourney completely in 97. Thank goodness for those who stuck with him for 4 more years.
I was around then, season ticket holder - there may have been a few but not overwhelming. He was still taking us where we had never been consistently. From 89-90 to 98-99
Regular season champs - 6/10
BE Tournament champs - 4/10
Sweet Sixteen - 7/10
Elite Eight - 4/10
If those were numbers from Hurley in years 4-13 my guess is most would be satisfied.
If that wasn't good enough, not sure what people expect

Reaction Score
I was around then, season ticket holder - there may have been a few but not overwhelming. He was still taking us where we had never been consistently. From 89-90 to 98-99
Regular season champs - 6/10
BE Tournament champs - 4/10
Sweet Sixteen - 7/10
Elite Eight - 4/10
If those were numbers from Hurley in years 4-13 my guess is most would be satisfied.
If that wasn't good enough, not sure what people expect
I would be ecstatic with that if that was Hurley's track record for years 4-13 BUT by year 12 or 13 I'd start to be asking, ok, let's take the next step to the FF.

Reaction Score
I would be ecstatic with that if that was Hurley's track record for years 4-13 BUT by year 12 or 13 I'd start to be asking, ok, let's take the next step to the FF.
And that would be fair - year 13 was our first Natty.

Reaction Score
I just don’t remember the calls to take JC out at all it had to be some very ignorant people. I mean if you weren’t enjoying the constant positive runs after years of Yankee Conference nothing and cellar dwelling in the Big East you weren’t much of a fan.

I mean it’s a whole different world now, expectations have changed dramatically and first round exits should be met with concern. Next year is huge the NIT or less is not acceptable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom