You guys have gone off the deep end! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

You guys have gone off the deep end!

Reaction Score
Here’s my problem with the expectations people have. They are largely based on an extremely rare historical precedent in terms of outperforming expectations in the tourney.

UConn’s last regular season dominant team was 2009.

Our sweet spot window was about 10-15 years.

We were extremely blessed to win in ‘11 and ‘14 with teams that were capable surely, but not expected to win. In fact ‘14 almost died in the cradle.

Hurley has us back to that ‘11 & ‘14 level already without the miracle runs.

Those who believe we should be back at the 00’s think we deserve hall of fame level coaching and program building performance.

What programs performance as a benchmark would make people satisfied with Hurley right now?

Gonzaga? Still haven’t won the big one. Kentucky? Just got bounced a community college from Jersey. What’s the comp standard?

Nobody is satisfied with back to back first round exits but it’s not an endictment.

And for the Hurley is easy to prepare for crowd, what he does has us in the top 5 of net good shots vs our opponents.

Is there a better coaching statistic normalized for player performance than that?
On top of that, he and Kimani(in the Midwest)were back at work. Showing up for Donovan’s state final game in support. That’s why players love him. This isn’t for show. DH does it with sincerity and passion.

Reaction Score
On top of that, he and Kimani(in the Midwest)were back at work. Showing up for Donovan’s state final game in support. That’s why players love him. This isn’t for show. DH does it with sincerity and passion.
Hurley is a worker and a recruiter so let’s just take a deep breath and relax a bit. This thing is going to work out. Just plug the holes we have on offense with new talent. That’s the whole deal right there, it’s not bad coaching. One of my friends tried to tell me that it was New Mexico State’s coach that was the difference the other night. Teddy Allen was coached up to 37 points and then in the next game he was coached down to 12 points?

Reaction Score
Hurley is a worker and a recruiter so let’s just take a deep breath and relax a bit. This thing is going to work out. Just plug the holes we have on offense with new talent. That’s the whole deal right there, it’s not bad coaching. One of my friends tried to tell me that it was New Mexico State’s coach that was the difference the other night. Teddy Allen was coached up to 37 points and then in the next game he was coached down to 12 points?
He's right- it was coaching, but not Jans.

Reaction Score
People are gonna say that Arkansas coaching on defense is what shut him down. Something Hurley couldn't do. But they couldn't stop Allen coming up clutch last night and I wouldn't exactly say that Arkansas figured them out. Foul shots decided this one.

Reaction Score
He's right- it was coaching, but not Jans.
I knew this was coming. The analysts said after the 1st half of last night's game that it was the worst 1st half of basketball they'd seen in a long time, by both teams. The 2nd half was brutal too. Musselman didn't exactly coach a beauty. To eke out a win on FT's was probably not EM's plan.

They did a better job on Allen and played a closer game than us, but let's not act like Musselman is COY after that.

Reaction Score
Oh little @willie99 you're breaking my heart.

I throw around likes and dislikes at will because it's quicker and easier than engaging on every subject. And because it doesn't mean anything. But clearly it upsets your snowflake feelings, calling me out without tagging me and then running behind the block button and misspelling the word "ciao".

For the record, I didn't like you trashing our players in favor of the guy making $3 million a year who's supposed to be giving them the best chance to succeed. But go on, cry more.
How old are you? Serious question.

Reaction Score
I knew this was coming. The analysts said after the 1st half of last night's game that it was the worst 1st half of basketball they'd seen in a long time, by both teams. The 2nd half was brutal too. Musselman didn't exactly coach a beauty. To eke out a win on FT's was probably not EM's plan.

They did a better job on Allen and played a closer game than us, but let's not act like Musselman is COY after that.
Never said COY but you said it - they did a better job on Allen.

Reaction Score
The reason we lost to NM St had more to do with them hitting 65% on 3s and less about Allen even with his 37 points. Against Ark they shot around 23% on 3s, which is much closer to their season average.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I’d like to know for some of the people here how long are you willing to give Hurley the benefit of the doubt without actually winning a single NCAA tournament game.
Two more years.

I actually expect us to take a step backwards next year, then a big step forward in '23-24. If we're not a Sweet 16 team that year, then he's on the hot seat for 24-25.

Reaction Score
Two more years.

I actually expect us to take a step backwards next year, then a big step forward in '23-24. If we're not a Sweet 16 team that year, then he's on the hot seat for 24-25.

This is a fair time for judgement I agree! And the assessment is spot on without some amazing gifts in the portal the fire will get hotter for the following year. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Roster construction next year will be young and talented.. DH has a blank canvas next season without the senior/super senior leadership that he had this year. Unless or if he populates next year's team with some veteran players from the portal-- It will be on him/them to navigate through the challenges of the BE.

PT is available and the next 45-60 days should give us an idea of who we go to war with. It won't be dull.

The only thing that's constant is change.

Reaction Score
IS this it?

1647809975535.png

Reaction Score
My analogy would be very different. I say the Hurley Haters remind me of

Cronin at Cincinnati
Dixon at Pittsburgh
Barnes at Texas

Where successful coaches were run out of town by people who didn't what they had

I find the hate for Hurley appalling, mind-blowing, unfathomable.... some combination thereof

PS: And I think we need to remember that we were playing great at the end of year two. The only reason he may not have won a post season game that year was because there were no post season games played that year
I respect all those coaches and they may have been run out of town to a degree, but UConn should have much better results than any of those guys delivered at those schools.

We can all agree they’re very good coaches, and they fielded very good teams at their respective schools, but they never got it down in March. Cronins a great coach, for example, but it wasn’t until he took that prowess and combined with the UCLA platform that he really made waves. The combination of great coach + great program should yield similar results at UConn.

If you’re comfortable with that kind of outcome, where you’re making the tourney and maybe winning a game or two, which most would consider fine, then it’s just a difference of opinion.

Reaction Score

Cronin at Cincinnati
Dixon at Pittsburgh
Barnes at Texas

Where successful coaches were run out of town by people who didn't what they had

I find the hate for Hurley appalling, mind-blowing, unfathomable.... some combination thereof

PS: And I think we need to remember that we were playing great at the end of year two. The only reason he may not have won a post season game that year was because there were no post season games played that year
Per the PS, thats fair about year 2. It’s the great unknown unfortunately for Hurley. It’s like a bad whistle — we’ll never know and it’s gone.

Reaction Score
I respect all those coaches and they may have been run out of town to a degree, but UConn should have much better results than any of those guys delivered at those schools.

We can all agree they’re very good coaches, and they fielded very good teams at their respective schools, but they never got it down in March. Cronins a great coach, for example, but it wasn’t until he took that prowess and combined with the UCLA platform that he really made waves. The combination of great coach + great program should yield similar results at UConn.

If you’re comfortable with that kind of outcome, where you’re making the tourney and maybe winning a game or two, which most would consider fine, then it’s just a difference of opinion.

I’m not fine with that outcome as a ceiling for the program under Hurley but considering that we’ve improved every year he’s been here, we’ve recruited at a high level, and the recruiting only seems to be going up, I have no reason to think that we’re there. Tournament success will come. If those things change, then I’ll re-evaluate.

Reaction Score
Coach C is a tuff act to follow UConn basketball will never get back to top until UConn start recruiting the type of player coach C did there's no NBA players on the roster yet one or two maybe in a couple of years if they developed blaming a coach who has been gone four years for a lost is insane until UConn get the players they use to get the program will be just going to march madness not cutting down the nets not keeping the coach is crazy talk

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
We’ve improved every year.. in my humble opinion, I think Hurley got these players up to the peak of their individual ceilings for the most part.
And for those saying, Calhoun had more success at this point yadayadayada… I don’t think we can underestimate the role of Covid in bringing the younger guys into the mix more ant creating more depth…. As far as saying that Hurley always allows one player to go off against is.. yes that happens, but to me that’s a UConn thing, not just a Hurley thing. I remember that happening often even under JC. Someone always has a career night against us.
Of course DH has room to improve X’s and O’s And even his temperament, but I believe he’ll get there.
We missed more bunnies this year than any team I’ve ever seen.. that’s not on the coach.. his job his to get them those looks.. and those misses literally cost us pretty much every kids this season.
I’m as disappointed as anyone in the way we ended.. but not surprised.. given our makeup we had the potential to play perfectly and put together a nice run.. or drop a stinker and go out just as we did.
But alas, I am optimistic. I am thrilled we are relevant again and I thoroughly enjoyed this season.

Reaction Score
I understand your frustration. I for one never thought that this team was talent laden, though. Did you?

Isaiah whaley became a legit player under Hurley. His growth was tangible. Also, you don't think Cole and Tyrese benefited from playing under Hurley? I don't think he ran them into the ground. He actually increased their stock 10fold
So, the cupboard is bare after 4 years of recruiting. That’s a bit tough to believe.

Reaction Score
Two more years.

I agree with everything you say, but that’s year 7 he’d be on the hot seat. 5 years with no tournament wins and 7 years before a sweet sixteen -assuming success in this timeline- frankly isn’t amazing. I like DH but when you spell it out like this it’s pretty stark

Reaction Score

Cronin at Cincinnati
Dixon at Pittsburgh
Barnes at Texas

Rick Barnes is notorious for choking. I hope Hurley stays for a good long time and he 100% should be fine now. But, if after 10 years he has a similar track record to Barnes...Yah, no.

12 losses in the first round (Calhoun had 2 if I recall, San Diego and Iowa St, as a comparison)
7 losses in the 2nd round.
19 times he did not make it to the second weekend, how many of those were top-seeded teams?
Just 3 sweet 16 and an elite 8 to show for all of that, and just one FF (where of course the one time he did break through it was to knock off UConn on the way, because, of course).

Seeds at Providence = 12, 8, 8 for an 0-3 record
Seeds at Clemson = 9, 4, 6 for a 2-3 record
Seeds at Texas = 7, 5, 6, 6, 1, 3, 8, 2, 4, 2, 7, 8, 4, 11, 7, 11 for a 19-16 record
Seeds at Tenn = 3, 2, 5, 3 for a 4-4 record

25-26 overall despite 12 times getting a top 5 seed!

7-10 since 2008-2009 in the tourney.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I needed a shovel just to get through this Wow if he is such a great motivator where was that Thursday night. Highly regarded Xs and Os guys are plentiful. He coached against one and he didn’t even know it. Of all those in the Dance DH most likely was at the bottom of the list. No DH isn’t going to get fired but if he doesn’t get past the 1st weekend next year at minimum AD David Benedict can start growing a pair and put a real search team out.
My disappointment was we had the talent to go farther. Many fans including myself thought this was something special. It was in a way. During the year many posters mentioned about poor game management. Did we actually score coming out of a timeout? Did we actually score a basket with seconds on the shot clock coming out of a time out? Why is Sonogo 30 feet from the basket? I could go on and on. I have to admit there were valid concerns kin the Yard. Was DH animated during the game like during the year? I didn't see any. You can't call for a coaches job who goes to the dance twice. However, getting beat in the first round twice is concerning.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you say, but that’s year 7 he’d be on the hot seat. 5 years with no tournament wins and 7 years before a sweet sixteen -assuming success in this timeline- frankly isn’t amazing. I like DH but when you spell it out like this it’s pretty stark
Yup, but as long as the trendline is good and the high-level recruits keep coming in, he's got my trust that things will continue to improve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom