You guys have gone off the deep end! | The Boneyard

You guys have gone off the deep end!

Reaction Score
For all of those who think Hurley should be on the hot seat or fired, you are crazy! Think back to the way this program was trending at the end of the Ollie era. It was being run into the ground. I am not a Hurley apologist. I don’t love his personality and I do agree that he’s got to stop referring back to the dumpster fire that the program was when he took it over. He’s been in charge long enough that he can’t use that as an excuse anymore. And I agree with those who think he is not an excellent X & Os coach. But I do think he is excellent an recruiter and culture builder/motivator. The guys who are great at Xs & Os AND recruiting AND culture building are super rare. Hurley is not in that category. But he is really solid and I think will get us back to annually being in the top 25 and the tournament and occasionally making a deep run in the tournament. I know the deep run in the tournament part has no proof behind it. But if you knock on the door enough times you’ll likely break through. Jim Calhoun is not coming back through that door. He is a legend and probably one of the top five all-time best college basketball coaches ever. Hurley is not going to match that. But the talk about getting rid of the guy is just foolish.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But both things can be true.
Of course. But no one needs reminding about the state of the program when OIlie was fired. It’s why Ollie was fired and it’s why Hurley was hired.

And for every “Remember what it was like when I took over…,” someone else can just as easily say ”Well look what Calhoun did with less in the same amount of time,” and then those same people who want to keep reminding us of the state of the program when Hurley was hired complain when comparisons are made to Calhoun, because that’s apparently too high of a bar for Hurley.

At this point it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. It’s like a second husband who keeps saying “Well the other guy used to beat you.” If you need to keep using that comparator it ultimately says more about your shortcomings than theirs.

Reaction Score
Of course. But no one needs reminding about the state of the program when OIlie was fired. It’s why Ollie was fired and it’s why Hurley was hired.

And for every “Remember what it was like when I took over…,” someone else can just as easily say ”Well look what Calhoun did with less in the same amount of time,” and then those same people who want to keep reminding us of the state of the program when Hurley was hired complain when comparisons are made to Calhoun, because that’s apparently too high of a bar for Hurley.

At this point it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears. It’s like a second husband who keeps saying “Well the other guy used to beat you.” If you need to keep using that comparator it ultimately says more about your shortcomings than theirs.
In fairness to Danny, getting thrown out of Calhoun’s office is a feeling of belonging. He only does that if he likes you or liked you - LOL.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You noted a post that was duplicative.
I liked your post.
You don't excuse Hurley for how the program was, but if your judging his coaching it makes sense to look at how he started.
Part of Calhoun's legend is where the program was when he took over.
But I think I missed a lot of boneyardin that would explain this issue.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For all of those who think Hurley should be on the hot seat or fired, you are crazy! Think back to the way this program was trending at the end of the Ollie era. It was being run into the ground. I am not a Hurley apologist. I don’t love his personality and I do agree that he’s got to stop referring back to the dumpster fire that the program was when he took it over. He’s been in charge long enough that he can’t use that as an excuse anymore. And I agree with those who think he is not an excellent X & Os coach. But I do think he is excellent an recruiter and culture builder/motivator. The guys who are great at Xs & Os AND recruiting AND culture building are super rare. Hurley is not in that category. But he is really solid and I think will get us back to annually being in the top 25 and the tournament and occasionally making a deep run in the tournament. I know the deep run in the tournament part has no proof behind it. But if you knock on the door enough times you’ll likely break through. Jim Calhoun is not coming back through that door. He is a legend and probably one of the top five all-time best college basketball coaches ever. Hurley is not going to match that. But the talk about getting rid of the guy is just foolish.
I needed a shovel just to get through this Wow if he is such a great motivator where was that Thursday night. Highly regarded Xs and Os guys are plentiful. He coached against one and he didn’t even know it. Of all those in the Dance DH most likely was at the bottom of the list. No DH isn’t going to get fired but if he doesn’t get past the 1st weekend next year at minimum AD David Benedict can start growing a pair and put a real search team out.

Reaction Score
I needed a shovel just to get through this Wow if he is such a great motivator where was that Thursday night. Highly regarded Xs and Os guys are plentiful. He coached against one and he didn’t even know it. Of all those in the Dance DH most likely was at the bottom of the list. No DH isn’t going to get fired but if he doesn’t get past the 1st weekend next year at minimum AD David Benedict can start growing a pair and put a real search team out.
Exactly. Next year is either strike three or third times the charm. If it's strike three then his seat will be (or should be) flaming hot in 2024.

Reaction Score
Lol. Classic.

"Hurley has to stop using the end of the Ollie era as an excuse"

[Uses end of Ollie era as excuse for Hurley]
Couldn't agree more - move on already! We were spoiled after escaping the desert and having 4 NCs in 15 years and we expect a lot. (Ah, the perils of developing a elite program...) Now, Hurley needs to reference the future and what he has learned from his past at UConn. He needs to tell us how his team will improve not how it will be better than what came immediately before. I will not pick apart the players - it starts with the guy who makes the big bucks.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Agreed. But there’s a loud minority calling him outside of his name and calling for a firing today.
I'm not trying to compare Hurley to Calhoun with this comment. It's just to show that people calling for change many times are clueless.

I was at the FF in 2001 and ran into a group of guys in a bar. UConn fans. All of them were ready to toss Calhoun because of the lack of "success" in the two years after 99. I mean, really venomous, nasty takes.

Hurley's not Calhoun. And people can think what they want. But he's not going anywhere.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We finished 21st in KenPom last year and are currently in 21st (could drop a bit based upon how the rest of March Madness plays out). The last time we had back-to-back Top 25 KenPom finishes was 2005 (15) and 2006 (4).

Winning % trend:

1647708609620.png

Efficiency trend:

1647708632665.png

Hurley's not a great in-game coach, and his inability to develop more ball-handlers/playmakers/shooters is a legitimate concern -- we've gone out in the first game twice in a row because of that. He needs to have a come-to-Jesus moment and realize the game has changed a ton in the past 35 years in some ways (shooting rules), but in other ways it's still the same (college hoops will always be a guard's game).

I don't know if he can/will do that. But the classes he's brought in this year and for next year, as well as the guys he's recruiting for 2023 says he recognizes the problem and is working to fix it.

So yes, the people who want him fired are nuts. But there are very, very legit concerns, and next year he needs to show progress in addressing them.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Here’s my problem with the expectations people have. They are largely based on an extremely rare historical precedent in terms of outperforming expectations in the tourney.

UConn’s last regular season dominant team was 2009.

Our sweet spot window was about 10-15 years.

We were extremely blessed to win in ‘11 and ‘14 with teams that were capable surely, but not expected to win. In fact ‘14 almost died in the cradle.

Hurley has us back to that ‘11 & ‘14 level already without the miracle runs.

Those who believe we should be back at the 00’s think we deserve hall of fame level coaching and program building performance.

What programs performance as a benchmark would make people satisfied with Hurley right now?

Gonzaga? Still haven’t won the big one. Kentucky? Just got bounced a community college from Jersey. What’s the comp standard?

Nobody is satisfied with back to back first round exits but it’s not an endictment.

And for the Hurley is easy to prepare for crowd, what he does has us in the top 5 of net good shots vs our opponents.

Is there a better coaching statistic normalized for player performance than that?

Reaction Score
Agreed. But there’s a loud minority calling him outside of his name and calling for a firing today.
Who that actually has the ability to make it happen? Boneyard posters don't count.

Reaction Score
I vote for Hurley to do the recruiting and coaching the regular season.

And Ollie to coach the post-season.

:D;)

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Here’s my problem with the expectations people have. They are largely based on an extremely rare historical precedent in terms of outperforming expectations in the tourney.

We were extremely blessed to win in ‘11 and ‘14 with teams that were capable surely, but not expected to win. In fact ‘14 almost died in the cradle.

Those who believe we should be back at the 00’s think we deserve hall of fame level coaching and program building performance.

What programs performance as a benchmark would make people satisfied with Hurley right now?

Gonzaga? Still haven’t won the big one. Kentucky? Just got bounced a community college from Jersey. What’s the comp standard?

Nobody is satisfied with back to back first round exits but it’s not an endictment.

And for the Hurley is easy to prepare for crowd, what he does has us in the top 5 of net good shots vs our opponents.

Is there a better coaching statistic normalized for player performance than that?

I’m gonna assume that stat is true (never heard it around here, great stat imo)

But that would mean we’re recruiting the wrong players?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Speaking for myself, it's not as much about losing a game you should have won. (Well, it's a little about that.) It's more about the lack of offensive and defensive creativity and game planning, and the lack of player development. Sanogo was actually worse with his offense as the end of the year came about, probably largely because defenses could game plan for him so consistently, and also because he didn't add much to his offensive game. Consistently hitting foul line jumpers, actually rolling on pick and roll, and hitting cutters and kick-outs when double-teamed would have really helped open the offense. The only creator was Cole, and he created largely for himself. Other than that the offense was monotonously predictable.

I watched the Wisconsin comeback on Colgate last night. Colgate has shooters, but against the Badgers they could be shut down because they didn't have enough variety to get people open. Monotonously predictable. Wisconsin figured it out, adjusted their defense, and took away threes, wagering rightly that they couldn't be beat inside or on dribble drives.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I’m gonna assume that stat is true (never heard it around here, great stat imo)

But that would mean we’re recruiting the wrong players?

No it means we’re a well coached team who is cycling through an increase in talent. When the players we’ve recruited over the last two years are our super seniors and we have a full pipeline of 4 star + talent then the performance will catch up with the coaching.

Reaction Score

No it means we’re a well coached team who is cycling through an increase in talent. When the players we’ve recruited over the last two years are our super seniors and we have a full pipeline of 4 star + talent then the performance will catch up with the coaching.

and this stat supports our own eyes as many have recognized this teamed missed a ton of easy/open shots.

Just my opinion but an offense that generates good shots is probably the result of good coaching.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

I like this take, and the data to back it up, quite a bit. And to build upon what you said in your previous post: Most national championships aren't won by good teams that get hot at the right time (2011 & 14) and go on miracle runs. Most national championships are won by super talented teams that play good ball all year long and have a couple of key upperclassmen who can push the whole thing over the top.

Based upon the data and the recruiting classes we're getting, we're definitely trending in the right direction, even if the past two years have had super frustrating finishes.

Reaction Score

I could've simply just "liked" your post, but I had to reply. This is the best, most rational, logical assessment I've heard yet. Can the mods somehow put a pin in this post alone? So we can refer to it all summer. @OkaForPrez you're the voice of a generation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom