Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lakers haven't hired a college coach since 1969-70, according to Sportscenter

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
JC coming back is about as likely as me getting the Lakers job
And is only somewhat less dysfunctional. Jim was a great coach for us, and one of the best of all time, but coming back to coach KO's guys would be a challenge. Add to that the idea that that Jim would be a short time patch and that our new recruits would have the chance to leave... not the best situation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Per Matt Moore, CBS: 11 candidates who would make sense as the Lakers' next head coach

8. Kevin Ollie: The Kevin Durant approach. Ollie is a long shot given his college gig at UConn, but he has been highly sought after in recent years and has a long-standing relationship with KD. It's a pretty big gamble with a fairly obvious one-sided pull in terms of
Durant's free agency, and if Durant does not join him in L.A., even if Ollie were the most credible choice, it'll be seen as a failed gambit.
Durant's coming to Boston. :D

Given that roster of candidates, Luke Walton wins in a walk.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't stand the "Home tugs at the heartstrings," rationale of player/coach movement. Ollie is from the "Boys in the 'Hood" era of South Central LA. The area continues to improve and is trying to break from its reputation, but one needs to ask themselves: 1) Are the memories to which one sees Ollie returning positive? and 2) Does he even have family/friends there? The man's been gone for all or parts of 25 years.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Brad Stevens notwithstanding, the recent college to NBA hires of Donavan and especially Hoiberg (closest Ollie comp) don't look promising. Hoiberg arguably had a better roster than Thibs did in his last year but results were far worse. Donavan seems to be doing all the same things that Scott Brooks did. Brooks was the Durant lure hire and Washington quickly chose that route with I don't think even glancing in Ollie's direction. And the Lakers are likely at least one coach & 2-3 years away from the coach/team that is a contender. Lots of risk for that as the first job.
MN was the best coaching gig available due to their young talent and Thibs quickly grabbed that one. They will be very good for the next 5+ years.
I thought Donovan had a pretty good year. Not easy to come in and coach a veteran team. Not to get too Chicagoey but... If you think Bobby Portis for Nazr Mohammed made the Bulls roster arguably better then I would argue with you. What happened is the Mayor of Ames wanted uptempo and the roster was built for walk it up on offense and stifling D. Then DRose breaks his cheek in preseason, Noah has shoulder surgery and misses most of the year, Mirotic has an appendectomy that gets infected and misses 20 games and Gasol celebrates his 72nd birthday. Yeah, Freddy needs work but no coach was going to get more wins out of the Bulls this year. Also, everyone thinks Thibs went to Minnesota for Wiggins and Towns but he really went there because they were the only team that would let him hire the GM. We will see how that works out.

Reaction Score
I thought Donovan had a pretty good year. Not easy to come in and coach a veteran team. Not to get too Chicagoey but... If you think Bobby Portis for Nazr Mohammed made the Bulls roster arguably better then I would argue with you. What happened is the Mayor of Ames wanted uptempo and the roster was built for walk it up on offense and stifling D. Then DRose breaks his cheek in preseason, Noah has shoulder surgery and misses most of the year, Mirotic has an appendectomy that gets infected and misses 20 games and Gasol celebrates his 72nd birthday. Yeah, Freddy needs work but no coach was going to get more wins out of the Bulls this year. Also, everyone thinks Thibs went to Minnesota for Wiggins and Towns but he really went there because they were the only team that would let him hire the GM. We will see how that works out.

Kinda hard to play the injury card with Chicago given what Thibs was squeezing out of that roster in the regular season the last few years. Their potential was definitely capped with that roster, but swap out Thibs for Hoiberg and I highly doubt they have the same record.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Lakers job can't possibly entice KO, I love d.russell as a young player but whoever takes that job is a dead man walking(someone else will be brought on when they increase overall talent and get better). They just need a solid tank commander, their 2017 draft pick is 1-3 protected; they could be in a horrible position if too many games are won.
Agreed. also, Jim Buss has one more year running the club. It certainly looks like he will fail and in all likelihood Jeannie Buss will fire him, Kupchak and the new coach at the same time. KO's name is out there because Durant is a free agent. I think a more plausible scenario if KO/Durant were to be together is after Durant signs. Maybe a year down the road. My hope is KO stays at UConn a long time.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Kinda hard to play the injury card with Chicago given what Thibs was squeezing out of that roster in the regular season the last few years.
Thibs is an excellent coach. No argument there. My point was the roster to start 2014 and 2015 were virtually identical but games lost to injury were much higher this year. I forgot to mention Dunleavy was hurt and missed the first half of the season.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch a lot of Bulls so certainly you know both more and better, but from afar it seemed Butler should have been a year better and Rose was as healthy as he has been since pre-injury. Noah got hurt last year too, so basically its a similar year injury-wise, but this time they completely fail to make the playoffs and the team dis-harmony attributable to Thibs pushing them too hard is now rumored as ego battle between Butler & Rose.

Similar simple analysis on OKC, I saw some of their big games and late-game execution was all hero-ball.

I partially agree on Thibs - MN thing and its a bit weird to have the GM working for the coach - at some point the short-term view of coach will be opposite of the long-term view a GM will take. And no doubt Thibs had worn out his welcome in Chi and overtaxes his players. Nonetheless MN's troika of Townes, Wiggins and Lavine is the best young collection in the league & adding Thibs defensive mania, I fully expect them to make an NBA finals within 5 years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ah...no.

Choose to spend the next month worrying about if you want, it's your trip.

Reaction Score
Just so you guys know the reason Kevin Ollie is emerging as a LEADING yes I said LEADING candidate next to Luke Walton is the possible reunitement of him and Durant(who shaq has reported is coming to the lakers). Durant looked up to Kevin Ollie and said he was a huge reason for his matureness the 1st 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
The Durant/Ollie angle is overplayed. I'm sure there is a ton of mutual respect there but Durant isn't deciding where he wants to go based on how much he likes the coach. I don't see any realistic Durant suitor with a coaching vacancy right now.

Reaction Score
Just so you guys know the reason Kevin Ollie is emerging as a LEADING yes I said LEADING candidate next to Luke Walton is the possible reunitement of him and Durant(who shaq has reported is coming to the lakers). Durant looked up to Kevin Ollie and said he was a huge reason for his matureness the 1st 2 seasons.

Yes, we do know that, because it's been mentioned in this thread already.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Luke Walton should be etched in stone. He just publicly spurned the Knicks and Phil Jackson (more of a story that he spurned Phil Jackson). My guess is he saw this coming and wanted to keep his name in the hat for the Lakers. Luke Walton as the next head coach of the Lakers is about as much of a certainty as the sun rising in the east tomorrow morning.
I think he spurned Jim Dolan. Phil should have too.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm surprised none of the trolls from this past season haven't hopped on this already.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Will he bring first night to LA? Though I'm not sure if that's the best tone to set for a season.

Reaction Score
So doomsday scenario - Ollie bolts for LA - who would be the shortlist of candidates?

Reaction Score
Go to the Los Angeles Daily News web site www.dailynews.com and there is an article in sports about Ollie being intrigued by the LA opportunity - I don't know how to post it so if someone can that would be great.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
The Durant/Ollie angle is overplayed. I'm sure there is a ton of mutual respect there but Durant isn't deciding where he wants to go based on how much he likes the coach. I don't see any realistic Durant suitor with a coaching vacancy right now.
Overplayed is right. Washington hiring Scottie Brooks like that will lure KD is also overplayed. Heard the Wizards will fire Brooks if they don't get Durant....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom