Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Laker job is one of the best in professional sports, Ollie would be an abject fool not to be interested in it. That said, the Lakers are a disaster right now and don't have a roster that can win anything. So while he's interested that /= he's going to take it. But if he weren't at least amenable to a conversation he'd be doing himself a disservice. Let's face it, there's a list of about two or three jobs in the world Ollie would leave UConn for, and this is one of them. Let's not forget K very nearly left Duke for LA in 2004.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I have to think he goes if he gets an offer from them. It's the Lakers. You aren't doing better than that.

There's zero job security, a raw roster and a fanbase that is not going to be patient for a drawn out rebuilding effort. The Lakers have had three coaches since 2011. Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni and Byron Scott. Four if you count interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff. Fortunately they have nowhere to go but up.

Reaction Score
It would seem to me that Walton is the frontrunner, but then again I am no NBA expert. Great job, but just a mess right now. I wouldn't blame KO for taking the position if offered, but it might be a bad move in the long run.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have to think he goes if he gets an offer from them. It's the Lakers. You aren't doing better than that.

It's a great job, without question, and also in his own home town. It's just that the roster is so, and the current GM blows. I'm sure he doesn't want to be set up to fail.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why is Bill Self's name never thrown into the discussion for NBA jobs? I'm not saying he's a home run hire but the guy has won a title and endless B12 championships and is currently AP coach of the year.

No history in the NBA as player or coach. He's a college guy, and is best suited to that game. He's also got the perfect situation at a school where he can win year after year, be loved and never be fired.

Ollie could view his situation similarly, but it isn't as strong, and he has very deep NBA ties. The very things that sometimes frustrate me about his coaching (and I definitely want him to stay!) suggest to me that he's possibly a better NBA than college coach from and X's and Os perspective. I do think he's superb working with young men, but in many ways, any NBA coach of a rebuilding team will do a lot of that as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That Ollie will stay at uconn. If you listened to the full 2 minute clip rather than 30 0 seconds your question would've been answered.
That's presuming I clicked on the link and knew that the clip was only 2 minutes long. I have never before listened to a Jalen & Jacoby podcast. There are only a few things I go to ESPN for anymore. Could just be me, but with all that was typed and hyperlinked in that post, I don't think it would have taken an inordinate amount of time to expand on "Jalen's right answer."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So If Kevin Ollie leaves, what are the odds Jim Calhoun is back?

Let me guess, you're one of the folks who's been thinking that every night since 2012?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Calhoun as a one year bridge to stabilize the program is not at all out of the equation. That being said, Ollie isn't leaving, so this conversation is meaningless.

Reaction Score
Calhoun as a one year bridge to stabilize the program is not at all out of the equation. That being said, Ollie isn't leaving, so this conversation is meaningless.

I'd love to hear how a coach who is going to leave after one season would "stabilize the program."

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd love to hear how a coach who is going to leave after one season would "stabilize the program."
Because we know Calhoun can put up a winning record for a year. We'd have that whole year to find the right replacement. Plus the return of Calhoun couldn't hurt ticket sales and hype around the program.

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun would last more than a year+, could be similar to Bill Snyder returning for a 2nd stint at Kansas st, and he was older and football is a wayy bigger hassle than basketball is.

Reaction Score
It isn't happening, KO will be here at least 5 more years. He's building his legacy here and he isn't going to walk away from it. It is a great job, kind of like being mayor of NYC. He runs an empire that allows him to be home quite a bit and where he is treated like royalty. In order to make the mayor of NYC leave, you need to give him the Presidency of the United States. Even then he debates it. The Lakers better have Magic and Shaquille walking through that door or the Lakers job is no presidency.

Reaction Score
Because we know Calhoun can put up a winning record for a year. We'd have that whole year to find the right replacement. Plus the return of Calhoun couldn't hurt ticket sales and hype around the program.

Coaching situations are defined as "stable" when there is little to no doubt about the foreseeable future.

There was nothing "stable" about our coaching situation when Calhoun had his health problems or Ollie had an interim contract. That's because players like to know who their actual college coach is going to be.

Kentucky and Duke would be doing backflips if we ever brought in Calhoun for one year. You'd be able to kiss Diallo, Ashton-Langford, and any other recruit goodbye.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think Calhoun would last more than a year+, could be similar to Bill Snyder returning for a 2nd stint at Kansas st, and he was older and football is a wayy bigger hassle than basketball is.

Look at Calhoun's health in his last year of coaching us. If you care about the man at all and are grateful for what he's done, don't force him to put himself through the ringer again. Not comparable with Snyder at all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Coaching situations are defined as "stable" when there is little to no doubt about the foreseeable future.

There was nothing "stable" about our coaching situation when Calhoun had his health problems or Ollie had an interim contract. That's because players like to know who their actual college coach is going to be.

Kentucky and Duke would be doing backflips if we ever brought in Calhoun for one year. You'd be able to kiss Diallo, Ashton-Langford, and any other recruit goodbye.
Why'd we give Ollie a one year contract then?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Look at Calhoun's health in his last year of coaching us. If you care about the man at all and are grateful for what he's done, don't force him to put himself through the ringer again. Not comparable with Snyder at all.
No one is forcing him to do anything. No one can force him to do anything. We can ask, and he can say no. Still worth the question if this issue ever came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom