Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Woj: Lakers fire Byron Scott, KO possible replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Actually, here's a better question. If Ollie were to leave before the season starts, who out there would you give a long term contract? Having Calhoun hold us over would give us the ability to chose whomever we want from next off seasons coaching crop. All the good candidates are presumably gone for this year, whoever it is would have to be able to convince our current recruits to stay, and current players not to transfer.

Reaction Score
And look where it got us.

Not sure what you're getting at... they gave him an extension before a full year went by in order to stabilize things. People would have been happier with it being even more stable earlier. You're arguing for a scenario that would be less stable, so how does the KO situation support that?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not sure what you're getting at... they gave him an extension before a full year went by in order to stabilize things. People would have been happier with it being even more stable earlier. You're arguing for a scenario that would be less stable, so how does the KO situation support that?
So our AD purposely put us in an unstable position? Tell me what better options we have?

Reaction Score
So our AD purposely put us in an unstable position? Tell me what better options we have?

By Calhoun retiring in September, our (brand new) AD had his hands tied. It was so close to the actual season starting that coaches from other schools were off-limits at that point. He had to give Ollie the job. He also didn't know Ollie very well and Ollie had literally never been a head coach before on any level.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the handling of the situation, the important point is that Ollie was given a real contract very quickly. Why? Because Manuel knew that dragging out the uncertainty would kill recruiting.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Husky for life going down with the ship haha.

No way in hell does Calhoun coaching 1 season do anything for program stability.

Reaction Score
The only way Calhoun returning for a year makes any sense is if Ollie leaves at the same time Calhoun did and there's no one available to hire for the upcoming year and they feel none of the assistants are in a position to take over for a year until next spring when there are more options. In that case, it is explicitly a stopgap solution that provides nothing more than holding the fort to prevent a disastrous year. It doesn't stabilize the program, doesn't mean all is hunky dory, it's averting disaster. I don't think it's a good idea, but in a situation where Ollie left in September (which is a ridiculous proposition since LA wouldn't wait that long to hire a coach) if the choices for one year are Kevin Freeman as interim coach or Calhoun as interim, it's worth considering.

caw

Reaction Score
The only way Calhoun returning for a year makes any sense is if Ollie leaves at the same time Calhoun did and there's no one available to hire for the upcoming year and they feel none of the assistants are in a position to take over for a year until next spring when there are more options. In that case, it is explicitly a stopgap solution that provides nothing more than holding the fort to prevent a disastrous year. It doesn't stabilize the program, doesn't mean all is hunky dory, it's averting disaster. I don't think it's a good idea, but in a situation where Ollie left in September (which is a ridiculous proposition since LA wouldn't wait that long to hire a coach) if the choices for one year are Kevin Freeman as interim coach or Calhoun as interim, it's worth considering.

Freeman? He wouldn't be the top choice among the current assistants.

Reaction Score
Freeman? He wouldn't be the top choice among the current assistants.
I think he's saying if you have to choose a member on the bench as an interim, Calhoun as an interim instead is a much more appealing alternative.

Reaction Score
(My uninformed speculation) - only way he does that is if Jim comes back for a couple years. I just can't see KO being that selfish, and leaving a program in a tough spot after his mentor built it and handed him the keys. I have trust in KO, and disregard this thread .

Well Jim Calhoun did show interest last year or the year before in the BC job I believe - if he still has the itch and could come back for say 2 years and groom either Rip Hamilton or Ray Allen like he did KO to take over once he rides into the sunset for good, that would probably be a better scenario then any of the current available candidates out there if KO does land the LA job.

Reaction Score
Well Jim Calhoun did show interest last year or the year before in the BC job I believe - if he still has the itch and could come back for say 2 years and groom either Rip Hamilton or Ray Allen like he did KO to take over once he rides into the sunset for good, that would probably be a better scenario then any of the current available candidates out there if KO does land the LA job.
No indication that Rip or Ray want to be coaching at all, and I personally wouldn't want to hand over the keys to them. UConn's brand and history should be able to attract some of the best names in college coaching if they happened to be in the market for a new coach.

And KO was a completely different situation, as he turned down front office opportunities in the NBA to be an assistant coach at UConn.

Reaction Score
Clearly the best thing to do in the event Ollie leaves would be to bring back Blaney for a year.

Reaction Score
Rip Hamilton made $110 million dollars in the NBA. Ray made $184 million. College basketball coaching is a grind.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Rip Hamilton made $110 million dollars in the NBA. Ray made $184 million. College basketball coaching is a grind.

I'll believe that any of them want to become a collegiate coach when I hear them say it.

Reaction Score
It's a great job, without question, and also in his own home town. It's just that the roster is so, and the current GM blows. I'm sure he doesn't want to be set up to fail.

Just to play Devil's Advocate. So what if he fails? He got paid (almost assuredly considering the salaries we've seen being handed out currently) double his current salary for a few years and then he can just get another A1 college coaching job or do the NBA carousel or become an announcer, etc.

caw

Reaction Score
I think he's saying if you have to choose a member on the bench as an interim, Calhoun as an interim instead is a much more appealing alternative.

I get that, but Freeman (who I am a fan of) is reaching as an example to prove that point. Neither Miller nor Moore are Calhoun but both are ahead of Freeman right now.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is KO knows better than most the NBA lifestyle/coaching. He is not leaving UConn for the NBA for money. He would be leaving because that is what he ultimately wants in life. If he chooses that route so be it. I am sure it will be the right decision for him. It will totally suck for UConn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
By Calhoun retiring in September, our (brand new) AD had his hands tied. It was so close to the actual season starting that coaches from other schools were off-limits at that point. He had to give Ollie the job. He also didn't know Ollie very well and Ollie had literally never been a head coach before on any level.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the handling of the situation, the important point is that Ollie was given a real contract very quickly. Why? Because Manuel knew that dragging out the uncertainty would kill recruiting.
Who's available right now? Give me a name you'd hand a long term deal. It's the same situation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Explain why it was a mistake. Clearly it worked out pretty well.

I think he's saying the same thing. Read that first sentence in an ironic fashion.

Reaction Score
Clearly it worked out pretty well.

"It" in this case is the opposite of what you want to do. "It" is not letting the program go a full season without a coach who has an extended contract. You want to do the opposite of that.

The mistake was not doing "it" sooner.

You want that mistake to be the thing they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom